PDA

View Full Version : Defense Picture Blurry

Lurker64
01-08-2009, 12:20 AM
JSO article (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37250404.html)

A few things I'm really glad to read:
1) Gregg Williams has moved solidly into the picture and would be one of the top 2 candidates, along with Nolan.

2) McCarthy plans to go with the best available candidates and choose which is the best fit.

3) McCarthy will be taking time to find the best defensive coordinator possible (leaving the possibility that coordinators for teams currently in the playoffs can be hired.) He will not "rubber stamp" a favorite without "covering his bases."

4) The claims that Nolan is far and away the frontrunner is largely due to stories that are being written by the media, and not so much based on things that are actually circulating in NFL circles.

Seriously, Gregg Williams would be a great hire. According to the article Williams's resume includes "the aggressive, pressure-oriented experience McCarthy is looking for" (the fans are looking for something similar), and he has experience with virtually everything (the 3-4, the 4-3, and even Buddy Ryan's 46). And regardless of how you find the talent level on the defense Mr. Williams having "the ability to be successful with a limited amount of talent" would certainly come in handy.

I don't really care what we have to pay to get him, Williams would be a huge upgrade over Nolan. He's interested in exploring the Green Bay situations, he's all football, and he's comfortable in small towns. I'm glad we're not rushing things, but I would be all in favor of rushing things to get Williams.

HarveyWallbangers
01-08-2009, 12:37 AM
Both considered good coordinators. Both failed as head coaches. Both have shown adaptability. Both have had success and failure as coordinator.

Points allowed by their defense:

Nolan

1993 NYG - #1
1994 NYG - #8
1995 NYG - #15
1996 NYG - #10
1997 WAS - #8
1998 WAS - #24
1999 WAS - #24
2000 NYJ - #19
2002 BAL - #19
2003 BAL - #6
2004 BAL - #6

Average - 12.7

Wiliams

1997 TEN - #17
1998 TEN - #17
1999 TEN - #15
2000 TEN - #1
2004 WAS - #5
2005 WAS - #9
2006 WAS - #27
2007 WAS - #11
2008 JAC - #21

Average - 13.7

I guess I'm still indifferent on these guys, but I wouldn't be against their hires. They look like practically the same coach.

mission
01-08-2009, 01:10 AM
They look like the same coaches based on some numbers you just posted.

They're hardly the same coaches. Gregg Williams is a big time football mind ... I remember when he got hired in Washington and how the only reason he took the DC job over pursuing a head coaching gig was because Snyder could afford to pay him 3+ mil a year ...

This is really a best case scenario IMO but I'd be super surprised if it ended up happening ...

Patler
01-08-2009, 04:51 AM

They're hardly the same coaches. Gregg Williams is a big time football mind ... I remember when he got hired in Washington and how the only reason he took the DC job over pursuing a head coaching gig was because Snyder could afford to pay him 3+ mil a year ...

This is really a best case scenario IMO but I'd be super surprised if it ended up happening ...

Why would you be so surprised if it happened? The head coach? The town? The money it will obviously take to get him?

MTPackerfan
01-08-2009, 10:12 AM
I am liking Williams over Nolan, based on the descriptions of the men and their successes with defenses. However the post above with the final yearly ranking sure doesn't make it look like Williams is any better than Nolan.

Pugger
01-08-2009, 10:37 AM
I hope MM takes his time and interviews a whole lot of candidates. This next hire of his will determine his future in GB and our team's success on the field.

RashanGary
01-08-2009, 12:15 PM
I said a few days ago that my guess would have been Greg Williams. McCarthy had very positive things to say about him a year or two ago when we played Washington. I remember McCarthy showing great respect for him and being very complimentary of how his teams have played McCarthy's teams. I listen to all of MM's pressers and I remember his respect for Williams really standing out as genuine.

He runs a 4-3 (something I think we're more prepared for personnel wise). He's also a proven DC that McCarthy can let loose and trust. We have the money. If we're serious about winning and MM is secure as a HC, this is the best route IMO.

I'm more open to Nolan now than I was. I'm more open to the 3-4 than I was, but since day one, I've felt teh most comfortable with Greg Williams and I even though MM was comfortable with him based on previous comments by MM about Williams.

This article makes sense. There might be some young assistants ready for the leap, but if moneys not an issue, I think Williams would be the safest bet at being a great DC and I'm not extatic about the 3-4 so it makes even more sense to me.

pbmax
01-08-2009, 12:20 PM
From PFT via the commenters:

The tastefully named Gregg Williams is schedule/has interviewed with the Saints as well. (http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2009/01/exjaguars_coordinator_first_in.html)

mission
01-08-2009, 02:02 PM

Why would you be so surprised if it happened? The head coach? The town? The money it will obviously take to get him?

The money and the large amount of other job openings making a "perfect fit" much more important...

Fritz
01-08-2009, 02:35 PM
What I liked best was the mention that MM is looking for a coach who runs a scheme that will work with the defensive players that are here already. Combine that with a recent JSO blog observation that TT and scouts have been scouting players all year who would fit the current scheme, and switching to a 3-4 would likely not work for a year or two - just in time to get TT and MM fired.

As someone here observed, changing schemes is for the next head coach. MM doesn't have the luxury of that, after a 6-10 campaign.

Guiness
01-08-2009, 10:53 PM
I remember Williams as HC in Buffalo - he was that bad on the offensive side. The same as his D's are pressure, go for the throat style - his O was conservative beyond believe.

Someone else posted something to the effect of wanting a defensive philosophy where every yard given up is seen as a personal failing.

highlighted by holding star running back Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings to 27 yards on December 23, 2007[2], and allowing a franchise-low one yard rushing to the Dallas Cowboys on December 30, 2007

These were Williams defenses, and I think they show that kind of attitude!

Bretsky
01-08-2009, 11:06 PM
What I liked best was the mention that MM is looking for a coach who runs a scheme that will work with the defensive players that are here already. Combine that with a recent JSO blog observation that TT and scouts have been scouting players all year who would fit the current scheme, and switching to a 3-4 would likely not work for a year or two - just in time to get TT and MM fired.

As someone here observed, changing schemes is for the next head coach. MM doesn't have the luxury of that, after a 6-10 campaign.

rejoice Fritz; Vanilla Bob is gone

The hype of players not fitting into a 3-4 scheme is incredibly over exaggerated IMO; good players will adapt and a good DC will put them in position to succeed. Nolan is that. Williams is that. We should walk on water if either are hired.

TheCheese
01-09-2009, 03:50 AM

rejoice Fritz; Vanilla Bob is gone

The hype of players not fitting into a 3-4 scheme is incredibly over exaggerated IMO; good players will adapt and a good DC will put them in position to succeed. Nolan is that. Williams is that. We should walk on water if either are hired.

Either way the future looks exciting. Getting our defensive players back from injury is going to be huge, especially if we choose a defensive play maker at pick number 9. Can't wait for the next season.

Fritz
01-09-2009, 05:45 AM
I suppose you are right, Bretsky. And Nolan supposedly is flexible regarding schemes, so maybe he'll come in and run a 4-3.

However, I don't agree that the difference in type of player is overhyped. I was taught as a basketball coach that you adjust the scheme to fit the talent you have - put players in a position to do what they do best. Asking Aaron Kampman to become a 3-4 end or asking Jeremy Thompson to become an outside linebacker seems foolish to me.

Finally, don't rejoice too much - a few posters here have suggested that Nolan tends to be conservative in his defensive calls...just what you disliked so much about Vanilla Bob...so you might get another vanilla defense.