PDA

View Full Version : Robotic Surgery

GrnBay007
01-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Has anyone gone through this or familiar with it?

Supposed to enhanced precision and reduced trauma.

Anything good or bad to say about it?

mraynrand
01-08-2009, 08:12 PM
WARNING! WARNING! DANGER!!!

http://www.topfoto.co.uk/gallery/Robots/images/prevs/hip0001987.jpg

Joemailman
01-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Oh no!!!!!

http://www.digthisvid.com/images/R/POSTER%20-%20ROBOT%20MONSTER%20(3).jpg

mraynrand
01-08-2009, 08:28 PM
I would be happy to remove your spleen...and liver and heart...

http://fandomania.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/terminator.jpg

red
01-08-2009, 08:33 PM
is this where they add a mechanical "unit" with 180 h.p. and able to do 5500 rpm's?

i can see how it would increase precision, with the laser sight, night vision cam and all.

but i don't see how it reduces trauma

GrnBay007
01-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Well, it was a serious question.

Thanks for the input. :roll:

MJZiggy
01-08-2009, 10:46 PM
I think that if there's a reduction in trauma, it would be due to the robotic instruments being able to work within a smaller incision than would be necessary using more traditional methods (fingers). The impact of that difference depends on where they're cutting. The more muscle they'd have to cut through to get at what needs fixing, the more of a difference it would make. I also think it can't hurt to have everything enlarged and put on a screen in front of the doctor (especially if he needs new glasses.)

bobblehead
01-08-2009, 10:57 PM

An honest answer...this is the future of surgery. As I have said many times you can count on machines to be more consistent and error free in most tasks (take counting ballots for example). If you consider that no surgeon can do laser eye surgery without the assistance of a machine than you will understand that an autonomous machine will be more precise, accurate and stable doing most surgeries.

Bossman641
01-08-2009, 11:05 PM
is this where they add a mechanical "unit" with 180 h.p. and able to do 5500 rpm's?

i can see how it would increase precision, with the laser sight, night vision cam and all.

but i don't see how it reduces trauma

Hahah, that was a good one.

mraynrand
01-09-2009, 12:34 AM

An honest answer...this is the future of surgery. As I have said many times you can count on machines to be more consistent and error free in most tasks (take counting ballots for example). If you consider that no surgeon can do laser eye surgery without the assistance of a machine than you will understand that an autonomous machine will be more precise, accurate and stable doing most surgeries.

Most surgeries? Not even close at this point, but I see what you mean. The serious answer is that there are no autonomous surgeries, just robotically assisted stuff. In many cases, the robotic assisted stuff is waste of money at this time. It depends on the particular operation. 007, what specifically are you thinking about? (PM me if you have a detailed concern and I can get you some good advice).

bobblehead
01-09-2009, 07:37 PM

Most surgeries? Not even close at this point, but I see what you mean. The serious answer is that there are no autonomous surgeries, just robotically assisted stuff. In many cases, the robotic assisted stuff is waste of money at this time. It depends on the particular operation. 007, what specifically are you thinking about? (PM me if you have a detailed concern and I can get you some good advice).

I said this is the future, most surgeries, not yet, but not so far off.

bobblehead
01-14-2009, 08:35 PM
stumbled across this and decided to make the effort to link it.

http://www.physorg.com/news151005939.html