PDA

View Full Version : Gerald McCoy

rbaloha1
01-08-2009, 08:15 PM
ESPN projects the Packers taking GM at #9.

GM so far in the BCS championship game displays power, explosion and great penetration.

IMO this is the pick at #9 over Mays, Mauluga, Curry (expected to be gone), etc.

Your thoughts Packer Nation.

Brando19
01-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Who?

Lurker64
01-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Who?

Big Oklahoma DT. #93, Redshirt sophomore.

Brando19
01-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Who?

Oh, okay...thanks. I'll turn the game on and check him out.

billy_oliver880
01-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Who?

Oh, okay...thanks. I'll turn the game on and check him out.

Just had an int.

rbaloha1
01-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Did you also see the tackle for loss against a fats Florida speed guy.

Now concerned he may not last. Playing like a top 5 pick.

BF4MVP
01-08-2009, 08:28 PM
The Packers need d-line help. Specifically, IMO, they need a DT who has the ability to get to the quarterback. IIRC, neither Pickett nor Jolly had a sack this season. I looked up this guy's espn.com stats and he has 6 sacks this season (not including tonight). Quite a few for a DT, so obviously he has that ability. Plus, being a redshirt sophomore (he's not even 21 yet) he has a ton of potential. A lot will change between now and draft day, but I would be happy with it..

Fritz
01-08-2009, 08:34 PM
He's the real McCoy!

But didn't the Packers take a d-lineman named McCoy back in the 70's...never quaite lived up to the pick, I don't think.

Joemailman
01-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Very good player. Could he play DE in a 3-4?

I've been impressed by this guy. http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/prospects/jermaine_gresham.html

Anybody know if he's declared for the draft?

red
01-08-2009, 08:37 PM
he's a young guy, you would be looking at a guy who wouldn't really contribute for a few years

something to keep in mind

rbaloha1
01-08-2009, 08:45 PM
he's a young guy, you would be looking at a guy who wouldn't really contribute for a few years

something to keep in mind

The draft pick for the Texans a few years ago I believe was 19 and contributed immediately.

If we are fortunate to land McCoy the guy contributes pronto.

red
01-08-2009, 08:49 PM
yeah, but amobi is a freak

i really wanted us to get him

oh well, justin harrell is just as good :roll:

rbaloha1
01-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Maybe McCoy is a freak. Great feet and hands to boot.

red
01-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Maybe McCoy is a freak. Great feet and hands to boot.

is he even eligible for the draft

i thought they had to graduate 3 years before they could enter the draft

he graduated high school in 2006

or do they round up?

Partial
01-08-2009, 08:57 PM

I've been impressed by this guy. http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/prospects/jermaine_gresham.html

I doubt he has but he probably will.

rbaloha1
01-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Redshirt sophmores are eligible (ie Knowshon Moreno declared yesterday).

After this performance expect McCoy to declare. Again McCoy may not be available at #9. Maybe Crabtree drops and is available at #9.

IMO Crabtree is too good to pass up.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-08-2009, 09:10 PM

Interesting. Another WR? You would almost have to trade Driver (maybe for like a second rounder).

Crabtree, Jennings, Jones, Nelson, Martin. Rodgers might have one the best set of Wrs seen in a long time.

I would prefer a d-line player though.

digitaldean
01-08-2009, 09:12 PM
I agree on McCoy. He sure was all over the place in the first half.

Never saw Orakpo play except for game highlights. Would he be a better fit or would he be gone by #9?

Lurker64
01-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Never saw Orakpo play except for game highlights. Would he be a better fit or would he be gone by #9?

Orakpo is a standard "smallish' college DE that has a very good outside speed move for rushing the passer, and a decent inside spin move. He's also strong enough to hold the point against the run for the most part, but he will need to both bulk up and work on pass-rushing technique to be an every down contributor in the NFL.

Whether he's gone? Who knows. Does he fit? Who knows what defense we'll be running in March.

rbaloha1
01-08-2009, 09:20 PM

Interesting. Another WR? You would almost have to trade Driver (maybe for like a second rounder).

Crabtree, Jennings, Jones, Nelson, Martin. Rodgers might have one the best set of Wrs seen in a long time.

I would prefer a d-line player though.

Please do not forget Jennings next season could be his last. Coupled with DD's age -- Crabtree is excellent value at #9

Lurker64
01-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Please do not forget Jennings next season could be his last. Coupled with DD's age -- Crabtree is excellent value at #9

Jennings wants to stay in Green Bay, and if a deal can't be worked out this year, he's worth the top #5 WR money if we franchise him. Why waste a first round pick on a WR who may develop to the a top talent in the league, when you already have a WR who's a top talent in the league because you may not be able to resign him?

Among players I definitely do not want at #9 are "any of the QBs", "any of the WRs", and "any of the RBs".

Farley Face
01-08-2009, 09:27 PM
From Football's Future:

Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma [Prediction: Returning 65%] – McCoy had the talent from day one with a good combination of size and speed. He stepped up his production this season and worked his way into scenario where he has a legitimate decision to make. While the tackle class may be deep, if others decide to return to school, McCoy could leave and be one of the first defensive tackles off the board. We’ll likely have to wait until after the Title game before hearing from him. Projected Round: 1st.

My note:

6-4 295 are his measurables

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-08-2009, 09:29 PM
No way Jennings goes to another team. TT will not let that happen. Other than Rodgers, Jennings has been TT best pick. Why would he let him walk after we spent years developing him?

BF4MVP
01-08-2009, 09:31 PM

Wow :shock:

Impressive. 6'6", 260 and had almost 900 receiving yards and 12 TDs not including tonight. Those are impressive numbers for a college tight end.

I'd be more inclined to go defense, though. Especially since I think Finley could make a pretty big jump next season..At least I hope so..He showed some big play potential towards the end of the season.

I wouldn't pass on someone who could be a special talent just because he's a TE, though.

BF4MVP
01-08-2009, 09:31 PM
No way Jennings goes to another team. TT will not let that happen. Other than Rodgers, Jennings has been TT best pick. Why would he let him walk after we spent years developing him?
I agree. Jennings wants to stay, and TT will pay him.

rbaloha1
01-08-2009, 09:34 PM

Jennings wants to stay in Green Bay, and if a deal can't be worked out this year, he's worth the top #5 WR money if we franchise him. Why waste a first round pick on a WR who may develop to the a top talent in the league, when you already have a WR who's a top talent in the league because you may not be able to resign him?

Noted. Still no guarantee. What about Nick Collins signing?

TT like Ron Wolf generally picks best available. Yes, the qbs do not factor in but if McCoy and Mays are already taken what other players warrant a #9 pick? Crabtree imo does. (Assuming available)

Lurker64
01-08-2009, 09:40 PM
TT like Ron Wolf generally picks best available. Yes, the qbs do not factor in but if McCoy and Mays are already taken what other players warrant a #9 pick? Crabtree imo does. (Assuming available)

Before you conclude that Crabtree is too good to pass up and he's a surefire difference maker and pro bowler, I'd suggest you do some research on how often these guys come up and how often they're busts.

I mean, if you want a crash course on this, just look at recent Detroit Lions drafts. Crabtree isn't half the college player that Calvin Johnson was, and if Calvin Johnson was available to draft at #9 this year, I don't think I would take him.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-08-2009, 09:47 PM

Before you conclude that Crabtree is too good to pass up and he's a surefire difference maker and pro bowler, I'd suggest you do some research on how often these guys come up and how often they're busts.

I mean, if you want a crash course on this, just look at recent Detroit Lions drafts. Crabtree isn't half the college player that Calvin Johnson was, and if Calvin Johnson was available to draft at #9 this year, I don't think I would take him.

Let me start off by saying I by no means want to trade Driver and do not want a Wr in the first round. But lets say Carbtree was available and lets say you had a trade partner that would take Driver for a high second round pick. Would you pick Crabtree and trade Driver?

rbaloha1
01-08-2009, 09:54 PM

Never said he was a surefire probowler. Looking at who could be available at #9. Different player than CJ. More like Larry Fitzgerald. Not great 40 time but instinctual and play fast.

Who would take at #9 Orakpo or Crabtree?

rbaloha1
01-08-2009, 09:56 PM

Let me start off by saying I by no means want to trade Driver and do not want a Wr in the first round. But lets say Carbtree was available and lets say you had a trade partner that would take Driver for a high second round pick. Would you pick Crabtree and trade Driver?

Draft Crabtree and keep DD. DD can help with the mentoring. Crabtree would compete for #3 eventually taking over for DD.

Farley Face
01-08-2009, 09:58 PM

Lurk, I love your posts typically, but if Calvin Johnson were available at #9 I would step on my grandmother's neck to get his name on a card in the commisioner's hands. Mike Williams, even Roy Williams, I follow your logic, but CJ is special.

rbaloha1
01-08-2009, 09:58 PM

Why do single out wrs? How many high dt and des were also busts? Jimmy Kennedy, Jamal Reynolds, Dan Wilkinson, etc.

Lurker64
01-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Before we get ahead of ourselves too much, I have to speculate that it's woefully unlikely that Crabtree makes it past Kansas City (who has 1 WR), Seattle (who has no WRs), and Oakland (who is run by Al Davis, and doesn't have any WRs to boot.)

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-08-2009, 10:03 PM

Draft Crabtree and keep DD. DD can help with the mentoring. Crabtree would compete for #3 eventually taking over for DD.

Doubt you could keep Jones, Nelson, and Martin happy if you did that. And what would be that point of having that many good Wrs on the roster?

MJZiggy
01-08-2009, 10:04 PM
That sounds like a very "Liony" thing to do...

Farley Face
01-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Before we get ahead of ourselves too much, I have to speculate that it's woefully unlikely that Crabtree makes it past Kansas City (who has 1 WR), Seattle (who has no WRs), and Oakland (who is run by Al Davis, and doesn't have any WRs to boot.)

I live in Seattle. From what I hear, if he is available, they snag him, no doubt. I haven't seen enough of him to know if the Andre Johnson comparisons are accurate.

rbaloha1
01-08-2009, 10:09 PM
[quote=Lurker64][quote=rbaloha]TT like Ron Wolf generally picks best available. Yes, the qbs do not factor in but if McCoy and Mays are already taken what other players warrant a #9 pick? Crabtree imo does. (Assuming available)

Doubt you could keep Jones, Nelson, and Martin happy if you did that. And what would be that point of having that many good Wrs on the roster?

Who cares about Martin? Jones is always hurt and drops too many balls. Unfortunatly as other posts mention Crabtree is probably gone. Back to Taylor Mays.

jmbarnes101
01-08-2009, 10:32 PM

Impressive. 6'6", 260 and had almost 900 receiving yards and 12 TDs not including tonight. Those are impressive numbers for a college tight end.

I'd be more inclined to go defense, though. Especially since I think Finley could make a pretty big jump next season..At least I hope so..He showed some big play potential towards the end of the season.

I wouldn't pass on someone who could be a special talent just because he's a TE, though.

I liked Gresham prior to the game tonight and was in my top 10. After tonight he's in my top 5 for this year's draft if he comes out. I think he'd open up the offense even more and combined with Finley would hopefully give us a great TE combo.

rbaloha1
01-08-2009, 11:02 PM

I liked Gresham prior to the game tonight and was in my top 10. After tonight he's in my top 5 for this year's draft if he comes out. I think he'd open up the offense even more and combined with Finley would hopefully give us a great TE combo.

What are draft gurus saying. Does he project as a top 10? Possible nice addition but other positions are more critical.

Bossman641
01-08-2009, 11:04 PM

What are draft gurus saying. Does he project as a top 10? Possible nice addition but other positions are more critical.

I think I heard late teens, early 20's as a projection for him.

Guiness
01-08-2009, 11:18 PM

Lurk, I love your posts typically, but if Calvin Johnson were available at #9 I would step on my grandmother's neck to get his name on a card in the commisioner's hands. Mike Williams, even Roy Williams, I follow your logic, but CJ is special.

Farley Face, I was going to respond to Lurker's post, but couldn't have put it as eloquently as you did!

I know what you're trying to say Lurker, but careful with the names you bandy about.

Bretsky
01-08-2009, 11:48 PM
Crabtree is going #5 to Seattle IMO; fits their needs and he's a star

GB should be looking for a star at #9; I agree that if he's there they should probably take him.........but he won't be

Partial
01-08-2009, 11:57 PM

Ummm.. Statistically, Crabtree is the far superior player. We're talking nearly three times the yards and more than three times the touchdowns touchdowns as a freshman. The sophomore year results are similiar. Obviously with Harrell being a pretty good quarterback for the system, and Tech being a run and gun team, they're going to score more points.

Athletically, it goes to Johnson with a slight edge. Johnson obviously was gifted with better size. However, Calvin is slow to get off the jam in the pros because he is such a long strider. Crabtree could have more success.

With that said, they're both top tier prospects. Johnson was rare, and Crabtree probably isn't as freakish because of the size difference, but I suspect he'll be a very good pro.

Like Bretsky said, if he's there at 9, you take him or trade down as somebody will pay big to get this stud.

mission
01-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Ya if he's there (and I doubt he will), you gotta just take him and figure it out later ...

That said, with so many guys recently announcing (Moreno, Stafford, etc) that they're declaring for the draft, I think this year might go down as one of those blessings in disguises... the top 15 talent pool is growing and if we can't make something happen here, it's all on us (TT) heh...

Honestly, I want Rey/Mays and Moreno ... Knowshawn is special. 2nd round? Where is he being projected... ?

Partial
01-09-2009, 12:45 AM
Ya if he's there (and I doubt he will), you gotta just take him and figure it out later ...

That said, with so many guys recently announcing (Moreno, Stafford, etc) that they're declaring for the draft, I think this year might go down as one of those blessings in disguises... the top 15 talent pool is growing and if we can't make something happen here, it's all on us (TT) heh...

Honestly, I want Rey/Mays and Moreno ... Knowshawn is special. 2nd round? Where is he being projected... ?

homer :lol: But I agree, he's a fantastic college runner. I haven't seen him enough to have an opinion on how he'll do in the pros.

mission
01-09-2009, 01:20 AM

homer :lol: But I agree, he's a fantastic college runner. I haven't seen him enough to have an opinion on how he'll do in the pros.

He's a pro style runner who has his name in spite of his team (first season he's been 100% featured)... I dont think Stafford is any good, nor are the Bulldogs in general but Moreno would get 8-9 guys in the box all day and dare Stafford to do something ... I hate to bring up BS (I never have before), but Ive never seen more #20Barry-esque runs than this guy with more hint of straight ahead. This guys spin move is A+ and his athletic ability is ridiculous ... Heisman on a team with more weapons...

Irony! ESPN just came on in the background... they just said "beanie wells, the second back to be taken behind moreno blah blah blah ... " so there goes that idea... i guess i aint the only one rating him high :(

And yes, Im trying to be a homer... I got nothing else to be excited about except (potentially) a new DC and some draft picks. If they're the *right* picks (IMO obviously lol) then the excitement might help me make it to TC/preseason ... :P

TheCheese
01-09-2009, 01:26 AM

Ummm.. Statistically, Crabtree is the far superior player. We're talking nearly three times the yards and more than three times the touchdowns touchdowns as a freshman. The sophomore year results are similiar. Obviously with Harrell being a pretty good quarterback for the system, and Tech being a run and gun team, they're going to score more points.

Athletically, it goes to Johnson with a slight edge. Johnson obviously was gifted with better size. However, Calvin is slow to get off the jam in the pros because he is such a long strider. Crabtree could have more success.

With that said, they're both top tier prospects. Johnson was rare, and Crabtree probably isn't as freakish because of the size difference, but I suspect he'll be a very good pro.

Like Bretsky said, if he's there at 9, you take him or trade down as somebody will pay big to get this stud.

I see what you're saying but as far as prospects, Crabtree isn't in Calvin's league, period. Seeing what Calvin was able to do in college with an ineffective QB was just amazing. Let alone his physical characteristics were amazing, he had the highly sought after good guy character aspect as well. Hes the greatest WR prospect ever.

Partial
01-09-2009, 02:13 AM
That's debateable. There are definitely weaknesses in his game, mainly that he is too tall to be extremely football fast (he times well because he is like a gazelle). On athletic ability coming out of school Moss had to be pretty similiar if not better. Moss fell because of severe character concerns.

I put Calvin, Larry Fitz, and Crabtree all in about the same class. We'll see how Crabtree tests out, but I suspect the results will be almost as stunning as Johnsons.

TheCheese
01-09-2009, 03:40 AM
That's debateable. There are definitely weaknesses in his game, mainly that he is too tall to be extremely football fast (he times well because he is like a gazelle). On athletic ability coming out of school Moss had to be pretty similiar if not better. Moss fell because of severe character concerns.

I put Calvin, Larry Fitz, and Crabtree all in about the same class. We'll see how Crabtree tests out, but I suspect the results will be almost as stunning as Johnsons.

Your missing my point; I'm talking about prospects here. It's not debatable that CJ was a better prospect than Fitz or Crabtree. They are all elite prospects but CJ stands alone at the top. His size, with his speed and hands coming out of college was just crazy. No character or injury concerns either. Fitz didn't have fast timed speed and it's also the knock on Crabtree. Crabtree may very well have the better pro career because there is so many variables but speaking specifically from a prospect perspective CJ leaves Crabtree and every other WR prospect in the dust.

Fritz
01-09-2009, 05:52 AM
Okay, though - who I don't want: Beanie Wells.

He has holes the size of trucks to run through most of the time. Not a bad back, but not a great back.

Patler
01-09-2009, 07:04 AM
But didn't the Packers take a d-lineman named McCoy back in the 70's...never quaite lived up to the pick, I don't think.

Mike McCoy from Notre Dame. His biggest problem was that he came out of college with an aura of being almost unblockable, which of course he could never live up to in the NFL. He was very dominating in college. He started out slow but became a good solid DT for the Packers, starting for them for a good part of the 1970's. For a few seasons he was thought to have a shot at the pro bowl, but the Packers didn't get a lot of recognition during that time. McCoy was traded to Oakland for a couple draft picks, including a first round pick that the Packers used to draft John Anderson. That trade showed that the league did realize that McCoy was a pretty decent player. I hated to see McCoy go, he was one of the few players they had who could make a play from time to time. McCoy started at Oakland a few years and then went to a few other places toward the end of his career. Had a decent length NFL career for that time.

RashanGary
01-09-2009, 07:16 AM
1. Andre Smith* OT Alabama 98
2. Aaron Curry OLB Wake For. 98
3. Michael Crabtree** WR Texas Tech 98
4. Eugene Monroe OT Virginia 97
5. Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State 97
6. Taylor Mays* S USC 91
7. Aaron Maybin** DE/OLB Penn State 96
8. Gerald McCoy* DT Oklahoma 96
9. Sam Bradford** QB Oklahoma 96
10. Brian Orakpo DE Texas 95
11. Jason Smith OT Baylor 95
12. Mark Sanchez* QB USC 95
13. Matthew Stafford* QB Georgia 94
14. Jeremy Maclin** WR Missouri 94
15. Knowshon Moreno** RB Georgia 94
16. Jermaine Gresham* TE Oklahoma 94
17. B.J. Raji* DT Boston Coll. 93
18. Vontae Davis* CB Illinois 93
19. Brandon Pettigrew TE Okla. State 93
20. Rey Maualuga ILB USC 93
21. Everette Brown* DE Florida State 93
22. Russell Okung* OT Okla. State 92
23. Brandon Spikes* ILB Florida 92
24. Tyson Jackson DE LSU 92
25. James Laurinaitis ILB Ohio State 91
26. Brian Cushing OLB USC 91
27. Michael Oher OT Mississippi 91
28. Chris Wells* RB Ohio State 91
29. Percy Harvin* WR Florida 91
30. Greg Hardy* DE Mississippi 91
31. Terrence Cody* DT Alabama 91
32. Jerry Hughes** DE TCU 90

RashanGary
01-09-2009, 07:19 AM
This was updated just before the National Championship game so it includes almost all of the college football season. It's about as close as it's going ot get before the combine (and all that does is move up bad players and drop good ones based on measurables).

Obviously there is no exact gauge in the inexact science known as the NFL draft, but this is about the best guage we're going to get.

Who do you want?

RashanGary
01-09-2009, 07:22 AM

Based on need and what I've seen, I think these guys would fit well. However, there are several studs scattered throughout the draft and it might not come down to need. One guy I don't want is Orakpo. He's junk. He had 10 sacks in his first three years. Everette Brown had 24 or some insane number like that. No thanks to Ojunkpo. He's a wuss.

Fritz
01-09-2009, 07:27 AM
This was updated just before the National Championship game so it includes almost all of the college football season. It's about as close as it's going ot get before the combine (and all that does is move up bad players and drop good ones based on measurables).

Obviously there is no exact gauge in the inexact science known as the NFL draft, but this is about the best guage we're going to get.

Who do you want?

The woman who is the secretary to the president where I work, but she's married.

Zool
01-09-2009, 08:13 AM

Your missing my point; I'm talking about prospects here. It's not debatable that CJ was a better prospect than Fitz or Crabtree. They are all elite prospects but CJ stands alone at the top. His size, with his speed and hands coming out of college was just crazy. No character or injury concerns either. Fitz didn't have fast timed speed and it's also the knock on Crabtree. Crabtree may very well have the better pro career because there is so many variables but speaking specifically from a prospect perspective CJ leaves Crabtree and every other WR prospect in the dust.

I'm not sure you've watched Crabtree all that extensively. I've watched 5 Red Raider games this year and with all the ridiculous offense he still stands out. He's faster and stronger than everyone trying to cover him. He is doubles and tripled but still comes down with the ball.

Johnsons last year at GT, they had a 1500 yard rusher(Tashard Choice). Granted his QB's werent exactly pro material, but he wasnt standing alone as the only talented guy on the team. I'd take CJ every day of the week at #9, but if Crabtree and CJ were available at the spot, it would be a very tough decision. Crabtree is just so strong that he'd be hard to pass up.

chain_gang
01-09-2009, 08:56 AM
I'm not sure you've watched Crabtree all that extensively. I've watched 5 Red Raider games this year and with all the ridiculous offense he still stands out. He's faster and stronger than everyone trying to cover him. He is doubles and tripled but still comes down with the ball.

Johnsons last year at GT, they had a 1500 yard rusher(Tashard Choice). Granted his QB's werent exactly pro material, but he wasnt standing alone as the only talented guy on the team. I'd take CJ every day of the week at #9, but if Crabtree and CJ were available at the spot, it would be a very tough decision. Crabtree is just so strong that he'd be hard to pass up.

I completely agree, CJ may have some qualities that Crabtree doesn't quite possess and vice-versa. I found out more than enough about Crabtree his freshman year in college, the guy is freakishly strong, he may have the strongest pair of hands in CF too. Anyone who can break a tackle along the sideline, on their tip-toes has to have freakish strength. I think he'll be a good one for many years, and would be a perfect fit in a WCO. As for more of CJ vs. Crabtree, I think it's comparing apples to oranges. Crabtree has better hands and breaks more tackles than CJ, but CJ can time the jumps beautifully, and if he finds a crease he's a threat to take it to the house, but he does drop a lot of passes, and doesn't seem to be at his best over the middle.

chain_gang
01-09-2009, 09:52 AM
I'll give you a few of who I want and three that I wouldn't touch at all.

6. Taylor Mays
3. Michael Crabtree- if he's there why not.
8. Gerald McCoy- I was pretty impressed last night with his showing, and seems to be one hard worker.
10. Brian Orakpo- I'd be okay with him, the DE's in this draft are no sure bets.
27. Michael Oher- I think ESPN is underrating this guy. He played better and was more consistent than Andre Smith. If he played at Bama or Florida he'd be in their top 10 prospects.

Now a few that I wouldn't touch at all.

1. Andre Smith- The guy does have talent, but shouldn't a left tackle not have so many lapses in pass protection?
28. Chris Wells- He's just so damn injury prone.
25. James Laurinaitis- When was the last time an OSU linebacker made an impact in the NFL?
21. Everette Brown- His Height and size are near identical to Jamal Reynolds. Not only that but besides Peter Boulware, name one FSU DE that has made an impact in the NFL, FSU defense caters to speed rushers. FSU has always had a line them up, get wide and sic' em scheme. Goes back to Reinard Wilson, Andre Wadsworth, Boulware, Reynolds, Wimbley and I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting. Boulware's the only one who made an impact in the NFL, but Boulwares stats were completely freakish coming out of college something like 19-20 sacks his last season. Browns Stats are nearly identical to Reynolds. Just too eerily similar for me.

Pack-man
01-09-2009, 10:19 AM
I want McCoy. If he declares grab him!

StPaulPackFan
01-09-2009, 10:41 AM

Based on need and what I've seen, I think these guys would fit well. However, there are several studs scattered throughout the draft and it might not come down to need. One guy I don't want is Orakpo. He's junk. He had 10 sacks in his first three years. Everette Brown had 24 or some insane number like that. No thanks to Ojunkpo. He's a wuss.

I agree. I hadn't heard much about Brown until you brought him up a while back. Out of all the DE highlight reels I watched he was by far the most impressive. His explosiveness off the line was simply stunning. Whereas Orakpo seemed to be a little sluggish off the line. Most of his sacks seemed to come after the QB held the ball too long. IMO, that does not translate well to the NFL.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-09-2009, 12:06 PM
I don't see Crabtree making it past Seattle or Oakland. My buddy who's a diehard raiders fan, and one of the most knowledgable I know, thinks Oakland will pick him up. I'm pretty inclined to agree, they certainly have the need and he will probably be another Fitzgerald. I can also remember him correctly picking Oakland first round draft picks all the way back to Robert Gallery.

On a side note, McCoy looked great last night against a pretty good UF line. Greisham looked like he'll be a good one, and what more can you say about Tim Tebow? The guy is a winner. I'm a UT fan, I hate the gators, but man that guy has leader written all over him.

Partial
01-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Anybody think Spikes played a good game yesterday? To be honest I barely noticed him, except for him not in on any of the tackles during the goal line stand when it was 7-7 and Oklahoma rushed on 1st - 4th down.

Not noticing an MLB is not very good. I wasn't watching him specifically, though.

Harlan Huckleby
01-09-2009, 12:51 PM
McCoy had such a great game last night that his stock may have gone up.

He may be off the board.

Lurker64
01-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Not noticing an MLB is not very good. I wasn't watching him specifically, though.

Spikes isn't the MLB, he's an OLB. He was in on pressures all night long. He was basically the only florida LB that stood out.

HarveyWallbangers
01-09-2009, 01:27 PM

Spikes isn't the MLB, he's an OLB. He was in on pressures all night long. He was basically the only florida LB that stood out.

I didn't watch the entire game, but much of it. I didn't notice Spikes much either. That Oklahoma DT really stood out.

mission
01-09-2009, 01:57 PM

I agree on Spikes but isn't Dunlop a LB also ? That guy was EVERYWHERE!

HarveyWallbangers
01-09-2009, 02:29 PM

I noticed Dunlop. He was good most of the game--although he didn't get run nover by a ball carrier along the sideline on one play.

rbaloha1
01-09-2009, 05:59 PM

I noticed Dunlop. He was good most of the game--although he didn't get run nover by a ball carrier along the sideline on one play.

Dunlap is a 6'8" de. Physically gifted but inconsistent. Unsure of draft projection.

texaspackerbacker
01-09-2009, 07:29 PM
I'd rather have McCoy than Orakpo or any of the other D-Lineman mentioned for the Packers to take. He wouldn't be suited for the current scheme, but he would seem to be ideal in the 3-4. Taking him would be a sign that 1. they are switching to a 3-4 and 2. they don't think Kampman can play 3-4 DE very well. I doubt we take him.

Crabtree indeed would be almost too good to pass up. I doubt taking him would trigger a Driver trade. It probably would, instead, signal the end for Ruvell Martin or maybe James Jones. I doubt we take him either.

mission
01-09-2009, 07:51 PM
I'd rather have McCoy than Orakpo or any of the other D-Lineman mentioned for the Packers to take. He wouldn't be suited for the current scheme, but he would seem to be ideal in the 3-4. Taking him would be a sign that 1. they are switching to a 3-4 and 2. they don't think Kampman can play 3-4 DE very well. I doubt we take him.

Crabtree indeed would be almost too good to pass up. I doubt taking him would trigger a Driver trade. It probably would, instead, signal the end for Ruvell Martin or maybe James Jones. I doubt we take him either.

Lol, really? What scheme is that, Coach?

The scheme called football that sometimes just requires you to be better than the guy across from you? Give me a break, a good DT can play anywhere... this isn't a QB from a Hawaii offense... this is fuckin football. Line up, put your hand in the dirt and beat the guy in front of you. Either you can do that consistently at the next level or you can't.

Pretty simple.

HarveyWallbangers
01-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Dunlap is a 6'8" de. Physically gifted but inconsistent. Unsure of draft projection.

Actually, I looked up their roster. Does a corner named Dunbar play much? I think that's who got belted on the sideline.

texaspackerbacker
01-10-2009, 09:46 AM

Lol, really? What scheme is that, Coach?

The scheme called football that sometimes just requires you to be better than the guy across from you? Give me a break, a good DT can play anywhere... this isn't a QB from a Hawaii offense... this is fuckin football. Line up, put your hand in the dirt and beat the guy in front of you. Either you can do that consistently at the next level or you can't.

Pretty simple.

I guess some people need to have things spelled out to them more completely. The scheme we have had--the Bates/Sanders D scheme--supposedly calls for two big run stopping D tackles--which McCoy, good as he might be--is not. He would probably be a great 3-4 DE or a DT in a more conventional 4-3.

I like the idea of taking him--to some extent, even though there's a possibility that he looks better than he is because of the quality around him. I just don't think he will be the Packers pick.

Are you happy now?