PDA

View Full Version : Can This Quote Be Accurate?

pbmax
01-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Nolan Interviews, Waiting on Williams, Moss Not Ready? (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37317889.html)

According to Bob McGinn at JSO, this is a third person account of Moss' interview with the Rams:

JSO CONTENT REMOVED

That has to be a misquote, doesn't it? He doesn't know defense?

In other news:

->Nolan interviews

->No word on Gregg Williams whereabouts

HarveyWallbangers
01-09-2009, 12:12 AM
I have a hard time believing it. Dude was an NFL LB for 11 years, and he's been an NFL coach for 10 years. Now, he may not have come across very well in the interview, but I doubt it's because he doesn't know defense.

mission
01-09-2009, 12:33 AM
That would put a big new wrinkle in all our theories ... :lol:

mraynrand
01-09-2009, 12:43 AM
JSO CONTENT REMOVED

Sounds more like they interviewed Barry Switzer.

Fritz
01-09-2009, 05:49 AM
Agreed -0 maybe he interviews for crap, but to imagine that he doesn't know defensive schemes after coaching for years...

If it's true, then we shouldn't have been blaming Schotty all this time. Dang.

Patler
01-09-2009, 06:37 AM
If its true, he should have been let go with the rest.

Fritz
01-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Patler, you are in a firing mood these days.

Any players you'd like to see fired?

sheepshead
01-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Now Oakland wants to interview him.

sepporepi
01-09-2009, 07:37 AM
I think with the (maybe untrue) statement, that he does have no clue about his job he immediately is apealing to the Raiders :lol:

Fritz
01-09-2009, 07:39 AM
I was thinking the same thing. If Al Davis hires Moss, then we know for sure it's true.

Patler
01-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Patler, you are in a firing mood these days.

Any players you'd like to see fired?

:D :D

Seriously though, Moss was elevated to Assistant head coach in part to be the liaison for MM in the defensive meetings, etc. MM said at the time it was not to "oversee" the DC but to provide a closer link to the HC. To bring defensive expertise to the headcoach office. I thought that was a lot of bunk, because the DC could form the same link to the HC. Moss was there to check up on Sanders for McCarthy. I always felt McCarthy looked at Sanders as a guy he was "trying", not necessarily one he trusted in the position. He wasn't part of the "inner circle" and then Moss was brought into the inner circle via his promotion. There were questions about Sanders performance as a DC even after the first year, and Moss was elevated to give MM a second opinion. If he doesn't have the defensive expertise to be a DC he isn't serving his purpose on the Packer staff as Assistant head coach.

Just my opinion, obviously. To me, if you don't believe in the guy, don't hire him; and I never felt MM believed in Sanders. He just liked him personally and decided to give him a chance.

sharpe1027
01-09-2009, 09:09 AM
The best coaches are not always those with the most complex strategies. The best coaches are the ones who get their players to execute, whatever strategy is that they choose.

Thus, IMO, the complexity of a coach's defensive scheme is less important than being able to get the players to do the basics really damn well and being able to make the right adjustments (often minor) to account for your personnel. The best teams do what they do so well that they make their opponents adjust to them, not the other way around.

Noodle
01-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Agree, Sharpe. Complexity for its own sake is a waste of time.

Great coaches teach. Great coaches motivate. Great coaches modify schemes to fit players. Great coaches are creative and are closer students of their own tendencies than anyone else. Great coaches steal ideas from others all the time and make them their own. Truly great coaches come up with the great ideas, but you can be great just by having a good ear for something new and the flexibility of mind to give it a go.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Agree, Sharpe. Complexity for its own sake is a waste of time.

Great coaches teach. Great coaches motivate. Great coaches modify schemes to fit players. Great coaches are creative and are closer students of their own tendencies than anyone else. Great coaches steal ideas from others all the time and make them their own. Truly great coaches come up with the great ideas, but you can be great just by having a good ear for something new and the flexibility of mind to give it a go.

Elegantly put, but a lot of people are afraid to try new things in fear of reprecussions. Now, factor in that these guys have a couple hundred grand to a mil riding on "trying something new" and you'll see why it isn't always that easy. You are right, the truely great ones adapt. Fail to evolve and die.

pbmax
01-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Well, I emailed Mr. McGinn and he very kindly replied. He said the quote (a third hand source - this was not a quote of Moss' words) was verbatim and specifically addressed defense.

The context was that even Moss felt like he should be a coordinator first before a head coach. To McGinn, he felt like this was a truism, that to truly understand how to choose and implement a defense, you must be a coordinator first.

I think Silverstein mentioned earlier that Moss had a specific plan to become a head coach, eventually. He might have taken the interview even though he truly wanted to be a defensive coordinator first. If this was planned, then I salute him for sticking to it and knowing himself.

But like Patler, I wonder how much use he was as an Asst. HC. And I wonder if Moss was carrying water for McCarthy in those defensive meetings. This might have been some of the source of the internal friction.

MacCool606
01-09-2009, 12:15 PM
This may be a dumb question, because I don't understand the system for identifying Head Coaching prospects, but why was Moss on someone's radar in the first place? Do you think it was the Asst. Head Coach title - or is the GM someone he has worked with in the past?

Tyrone Bigguns
01-09-2009, 04:20 PM
This may be a dumb question, because I don't understand the system for identifying Head Coaching prospects, but why was Moss on someone's radar in the first place? Do you think it was the Asst. Head Coach title - or is the GM someone he has worked with in the past?

There are all sorts of things that get you on the radar. Plenty of guys that aren't assistant head coaches or DC get looks...marinelli for instance. Jason Garrett has been on everybody's radar long before he was promoted to assistant hc and OC.

GMs are looking at coaches the same way they look at players...evaluating talent, and projecting success.

Bretsky
01-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Well, I emailed Mr. McGinn and he very kindly replied. He said the quote (a third hand source - this was not a quote of Moss' words) was verbatim and specifically addressed defense.

The context was that even Moss felt like he should be a coordinator first before a head coach. To McGinn, he felt like this was a truism, that to truly understand how to choose and implement a defense, you must be a coordinator first.

I think Silverstein mentioned earlier that Moss had a specific plan to become a head coach, eventually. He might have taken the interview even though he truly wanted to be a defensive coordinator first. If this was planned, then I salute him for sticking to it and knowing himself.

But like Patler, I wonder how much use he was as an Asst. HC. And I wonder if Moss was carrying water for McCarthy in those defensive meetings. This might have been some of the source of the internal friction.

Doesn't sound like a guy I'd have a lot of confidence in to lead a defense either

rbaloha1
01-09-2009, 05:49 PM

Doesn't sound like a guy I'd have a lot of confidence in to lead a defense either

Agreed. Maybe he is MM's mole and why retained. The lb player was pathetic.

pbmax
01-09-2009, 09:24 PM

I think the most likely explanation is that Moss is getting some Rooney Rule love. He has the title of Asst. Head Coach and he is loathe to reject the interview. I am sure he has repeatedly been told not to pass up a chance for people to get to know you.

But that doesn't mean he is ready, and it doesn't mean that he would be more comfortable to ascend to coordinator first, before head coach.

DonHutson
01-10-2009, 07:52 AM
The Asst. Head Coach title is largely meaningless. Assistant coaches usually can't get out of their contracts unless they are getting a promotion. Naming Moss Asst. HC meant he couldn't leave for a DC job. At least that's how I understand it.

Odd that Moss would agree to that if he really wanted to be a DC first, because taking the Asst. HC title meant he could only become a DC in Green Bay unless he got fired or finished up his contract.

I'd still like to know what qualities this guy has to generate all the promotion buzz. I'm sure the Rooney rule is getting him some interviews, but the rule had nothing to do with him getting the Asst. HC title.

MacCool606
01-10-2009, 12:59 PM
I don't know how Winston is as a coach. From what I've read his player like him. My problem now is that the more I read, the more this story reminds of good ol Sherman Lewis - the OC under Holmgren. There was a guy that never really had to do anything. But, everytime there was a HC job open, with another team, Ron Wolf would promote him for the job. I almost got the feeling he was saying - take him someone - anyone - PLEASE.
Then, when Holmgren bolted for Seattle, Wolf wouldn't promote him for his own HC.
I hate to put Winston in that category, but for some reason, one ane one isn't equaling two here

Pugger
01-11-2009, 11:29 AM
How do we know how the interviews in St. Louis went, really? Moss sure as hell wouldn't reveal that and I can't see what benefit it would be for the Rams to talk either. I sure wouldn't want a potential employer to tell anyone how an interview went - especially to the media! :no: