PDA

View Full Version : Vikings eye Pats QB Matt Cassel / Matt Hasselbeck?

packers11
01-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Vikings eye Pats QB Matt Cassel / Matt Hasselbeck?

It was clear Thursday after Brad Childress' postseason media gathering that the Vikings' coach has no No. 1 quarterback heading into next season. That makes it a good bet the team will pursue New England's Matt Cassel if the Patriots are reasonable about a trade. If not, the next best bet for a starting quarterback appears to be Seattle's Matt Hasselbeck. With the Vikings expected to save about $13 million by not re-signing free agents Matt Birk, Darren Sharper and Jim Kleinsasser, and saving at least an additional $5 million in guaranteed money that it would have taken to extend quarterback Tarvaris Jackson's contract, the team should have the resources to justify spending on a clear No. 1 quarterback. Jackson, whom the Vikings still figure has considerable upside, is expected to return to backup status. Cassel, expected to be given the franchise tag by New England, could cost the Vikings as much as $30 million in guaranteed money, plus first- and second-round draft picks. Hasselbeck might cost a second- or third-round draft pick that could escalate if he were to perform well.

-- Pioneer Press

Sparkey
01-09-2009, 11:09 AM

It was clear Thursday after Brad Childress' postseason media gathering that the Vikings' coach has no No. 1 quarterback heading into next season. That makes it a good bet the team will pursue New England's Matt Cassel if the Patriots are reasonable about a trade. If not, the next best bet for a starting quarterback appears to be Seattle's Matt Hasselbeck. With the Vikings expected to save about $13 million by not re-signing free agents Matt Birk, Darren Sharper and Jim Kleinsasser, and saving at least an additional $5 million in guaranteed money that it would have taken to extend quarterback Tarvaris Jackson's contract, the team should have the resources to justify spending on a clear No. 1 quarterback. Jackson, whom the Vikings still figure has considerable upside, is expected to return to backup status. Cassel, expected to be given the franchise tag by New England, could cost the Vikings as much as $30 million in guaranteed money, plus first- and second-round draft picks. Hasselbeck might cost a second- or third-round draft pick that could escalate if he were to perform well.

-- Pioneer Press

Cassel @ QB for the Vikqueens makes that team really really tough!

Pacopete4
01-09-2009, 11:19 AM

-- Pioneer Press

Cassel @ QB for the Vikqueens makes that team
really really tough!

And hasselbeck wouldn't? Haha

Sparkey
01-09-2009, 11:22 AM

-- Pioneer Press

Cassel @ QB for the Vikqueens makes that team
really really tough!

And hasselbeck wouldn't? Haha

Healthy? Yes. But, what are the chances. Back injuries do not just "go away"...... ask Justin Harrell.

red
01-09-2009, 11:27 AM
i don't think it would hurt them to sniff around derrick anderson also

sharpe1027
01-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Cassel @ QB for the Vikqueens makes that team really really tough!

I don't know.
Who would he throw the ball to? He certainly would not be throwing the ball to Moss and Welker.

What offense would he be running? He would be stuck with the offensive genius that is Childress.

Not to mention the opposition will have a year to study his tendencies.

IMO, whoever starts for that mess is just asking for failure. Whatever happens, I hope Childress sticks around for a long, long time.

sheepshead
01-09-2009, 12:11 PM
They should get that Brett Favre guy, he as 6-7 good years in him.

Freak Out
01-09-2009, 12:47 PM
i don't think it would hurt them to sniff around derrick anderson also

Scary.

Partial
01-09-2009, 01:03 PM
I'm not 100% sold on Cassell. He played extremely well for NE, no doubt, but look at those receivers. Is he going to be able to make the crummy Minne receivers better? That's debatable. It would be pretty hard not to look good with a motivated Moss and a great slot receiver in Welker.

I'd rate Hass WAY above Cassell if I'm Minne. If I'm NE, i'm franchising and flipping an undrafted player for a first and third without a doubt.

Guiness
01-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Hard to figure DE - is he a chump or not? Cleveland was certainly quick to pull the plug on the slow footed QB.

Where did anyone hear that Hasselbeck will be available? I don't know why Seattle would want to move him.

mraynrand
01-09-2009, 01:26 PM
I hope the Vikings break the bank on ole Matt Cassel. I'm betting he sucks with the Vikings. Same goes for Lurch Anderson. And that's not just wishful thinking.

Freak Out
01-09-2009, 01:35 PM
I think Anderson makes the Queens a much better team than they are now with Jackson and Gus....SB better? Maybe not....but he is a better QB than what we saw in Cleveland last year.

HarveyWallbangers
01-09-2009, 01:43 PM
I like Cassel. I think he's the real deal. Maybe not to his numbers of this year, but he intrigues in much the way Matt Schaub did.

I don't like Anderson at all. I would LOVE for him to go to the Vikings.

Freak Out
01-09-2009, 01:45 PM
[quote="HarveyWallbangers"]I like Cassel. I think he's the real deal. Maybe not to his numbers of this year, but he intrigues in much the way Matt Schaub did.

I don't like Anderson at all. I would LOVE for him to go to the Vikings.[/quote

Cassel is damn good.....maybe I am confusing Derek for Kenny? :lol:

mraynrand
01-09-2009, 01:46 PM
I think Anderson makes the Queens a much better team than they are now with Jackson and Gus....SB better? Maybe not....but he is a better QB than what we saw in Cleveland last year.

He can be better than what you saw, but he really runs hot and cold. And he had far superior weapons in 2007 than what the Vikings have or hope to have next year (except of course for great run support)

Rastak
01-09-2009, 01:52 PM
I like Cassel. I think he's the real deal. Maybe not to his numbers of this year, but he intrigues in much the way Matt Schaub did.

I don't like Anderson at all. I would LOVE for him to go to the Vikings.

Completely agree. I don't like Anderson at all.

Rastak
01-09-2009, 02:00 PM

He can be better than what you saw, but he really runs hot and cold. And he had far superior weapons in 2007 than what the Vikings have or hope to have next year (except of course for great run support)

Don't underestimate the effect of a run game on safeties.

Guiness
01-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Who was the poster here who had experience with DE? Played against him in HS or something?

Guiness
01-09-2009, 02:04 PM

Speaking of your safeties, what's up with Sharper? His contract is up this year, isn't it? Any chance of him being resigned?

Lurker64
01-09-2009, 02:05 PM
It's hard to say about Anderson in Minnesota. It's pretty apparent that from top to bottom, he had better WRs and TEs in Cleveland than he would in Minnesota (barring dramatic offseason moves by Zygi), but Peterson is the sort of player that commands attention. That being said, at least for the first couple years of his career Peterson has been so bad at blocking for the QB (and Anderson isn't one of those Quick Release guys) that if I was Minnesota, I probably wouldn't want him as anything other than a backup.

He's still probably better than Jackson and Gus though, but that's not saying a whole lot.

cpk1994
01-09-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm not 100% sold on Cassell. He played extremely well for NE, no doubt, but look at those receivers. Is he going to be able to make the crummy Minne receivers better? That's debatable. It would be pretty hard not to look good with a motivated Moss and a great slot receiver in Welker.

I'd rate Hass WAY above Cassell if I'm Minne. If I'm NE, i'm franchising and flipping an undrafted player for a first and third without a doubt.Unless you can guarantee Tom Brady is 100% healthy on opening day 2009, NE would be out of their mind to trade Cassel.

Pugger
01-09-2009, 03:20 PM
I have a feeling NE isn't going to trade Cassell with Brady's health issues and Seattle will keep Hasslebeck. The queens will have to look elsewhere.

Lurker64
01-09-2009, 03:45 PM
I have a feeling NE isn't going to trade Cassell with Brady's health issues and Seattle will keep Hasslebeck. The queens will have to look elsewhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if NE would be willing to trade Brady for a Hershell Walker sized truckload of draft picks. It seems like the sort of ballsy arrogant thing that the Patriots tend to do these days.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-09-2009, 04:13 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if NE would be willing to trade Brady for a Hershell Walker sized truckload of draft picks. It seems like the sort of ballsy arrogant thing that the Patriots tend to do these days.

Sure, and i've got some primo rock i could sell you for 10 dollars. :roll:

What the pats are willing to do isn't really germane. Nobody is going to give up a truckload of draft picks for a QB with an acl/mcl injury who has had 4 surgeries, who might not play all of next year, and will be 32 this Aug.

Rastak
01-09-2009, 04:59 PM

I doubt you will ever see a trade like the Walker trade again. Team just don't trade multiple #1's and 2s over several years. Mike Lynn is out of the league, it ain't happening. I think a pair of #1's is about the highest you'll see in the foreseeable future.

Rastak
01-09-2009, 05:02 PM

Speaking of your safeties, what's up with Sharper? His contract is up this year, isn't it? Any chance of him being resigned?

He's lost a step or two and doesn't seem to fit Frazier's defense quite as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he was gone. I said when they signed him he needed to play a good level for at least 2 or 3 years for the deal to make sense and he came through. I know he's the favorite whipping boy around here but he played some pretty good football. Sure, he had his share of screw ups but that happens when you gamble. Overall, I absolutely rate his play in Minnesota as a positive.

I think next year they may give 2nd year player Tyrell Johnson the job and maybe get a vet to back them up.

mngolf19
01-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Never, and I have said on here many times, NEVER believe anything the Pioneer Press comes out with. As far as what they will do for QB next year, I see them passing on Cassel and Anderson. If Hasselbeck is really available, maybe. Garcia, possibly. Warner, possibly. Draft a Sanchez, don't think the other decent ones would be around, possibly. Frerotte back next year, no. Save that money too. Collins, maybe as the vet to back up since Frerotte will retire this offseason. I wonder how Booty is progressing. I know that will have an effect on this too.

Rastak
01-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Never, and I have said on here many times, NEVER believe anything the Pioneer Press comes out with. As far as what they will do for QB next year, I see them passing on Cassel and Anderson. If Hasselbeck is really available, maybe. Garcia, possibly. Warner, possibly. Draft a Sanchez, don't think the other decent ones would be around, possibly. Frerotte back next year, no. Save that money too. Collins, maybe as the vet to back up since Frerotte will retire this offseason. I wonder how Booty is progressing. I know that will have an effect on this too.

If Chilly runs Booty out there before he's ready I'll run onto the field and kick Chilly in the nuts.

I wonder if I'd lose my season tickets? I could be hailed as a hero and public pressure would ensure my seats.

mngolf19
01-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Sharper is gone. They will save his money and use on other needs. Unless he wants backup money as Johnson will take his place. Birk that's a tough call. He may have to take a hometown discount to come back and that may be as an OL and not as a center only. Kleinsasser will be back with a big cut in pay. Or at least he'll get no more than $2M. I wouldn't doubt them trading down to the 2nd round as well to save a little more for the right FA's.

mngolf19
01-09-2009, 07:02 PM

If Chilly runs Booty out there before he's ready I'll run onto the field and kick Chilly in the nuts.

I wonder if I'd lose my season tickets? I could be hailed as a hero and public pressure would ensure my seats.

And really all you want is to be a local hero, right? :lol:

Lurker64
01-09-2009, 07:02 PM

Would this happen at the Metrodome, at Winter Park, or at an away game? How long do you wait to gauge whether or not Booty is ready? Are there extenuating circumstances if Booty goes in after Jackson gets hurt?

Rastak
01-09-2009, 07:19 PM

Would this happen at the Metrodome, at Winter Park, or at an away game? How long do you wait to gauge whether or not Booty is ready? Are there extenuating circumstances if Booty goes in after Jackson gets hurt?

If starts the dude way before he is prepared to start, that's when I deliver the killing blow. Injuries during a game force stuff to happen.

MJZiggy
01-09-2009, 08:06 PM

You're worried about not being able to get a seat in the Metrodome? :?:

Rastak
01-09-2009, 08:10 PM

Zig, I thought we were buddies!

MJZiggy
01-09-2009, 08:53 PM

Sorry, dear, but you left it SOOOO wide open, I had to. When you actually show up for the next posters game :taunt: I'll buy ya a beer.

The Leaper
01-10-2009, 01:18 AM
I don't see NE giving up Cassel...he'll be tagged and retained, especially in light of Brady's knee trouble. It would take a VERY good offer to pry Cassel from NE...and I don't think the Vikes have nearly enough ammo in trade bait to even bother the attempt.

cpk1994
01-10-2009, 06:35 AM

Sorry, dear, but you left it SOOOO wide open, I had to. When you actually show up for the next posters game :taunt: I'll buy ya a beer.

Here's an idea. Have the poster's game be the Vikings game and Ras can kick Chilly in the nuts at Lambeau just for the hell of it. He would lose any seats and Packer fans will give him a standing O. It would be a night to remember. :lol:

vince
01-10-2009, 07:00 AM

If starts the dude way before he is prepared to start, that's when I deliver the killing blow. Injuries during a game force stuff to happen.
:P I wonder if the Williams boys would do back-to-back body slams on your ass or if they would just let it happen, because they too would like to see Chilly get kicked in the balls... :drma:

In any event... Bring on Booty! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niU4qb8EnM4&feature=related)

Stevogbfan
01-11-2009, 12:13 PM
They should get that Brett Favre guy, he as 6-7 good years in him.

don't you mean "6 or 7 games?" :beat:

packers11
01-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Vikings zeroing in on Cassel

It's looking more likely than ever that the quarterback the Vikings will target is the Patriots' Matt Cassel, who could cost $30 million in guaranteed money as well as first- and second-round draft picks. The Vikings' first-round pick is expected to be between Nos. 21 and 23 overall this spring. Cassel, 26, has played four seasons in the NFL, has learned from no-nonsense coaches Bill Belichick in New England and Pete Carroll at Southern California, and is of strong character, as Carroll will tell them when the Vikings do their background checks.

St. Paul Pioneer Press

Partial
01-11-2009, 07:22 PM
NE is going to get a steal. I don't think Cassell is the second coming or anything. What QB wouldn't look good in that offense, especially when they have a few seasons on the bench.

Much like A-Rod in ours. Let's hope that the Vikes give up two picks. That would be an awful move.

mngolf19
01-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Vikings zeroing in on Cassel

It's looking more likely than ever that the quarterback the Vikings will target is the Patriots' Matt Cassel, who could cost $30 million in guaranteed money as well as first- and second-round draft picks. The Vikings' first-round pick is expected to be between Nos. 21 and 23 overall this spring. Cassel, 26, has played four seasons in the NFL, has learned from no-nonsense coaches Bill Belichick in New England and Pete Carroll at Southern California, and is of strong character, as Carroll will tell them when the Vikings do their background checks.

St. Paul Pioneer Press

See my post above about the Pioneer Press. nuff said. :roll:

DonHutson
01-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Cassel + Bellichek > Cassel + Childress

All Cassel has done is make me wonder if Brady might not be as special as I thought, and whether Bellichek is more special than I thought (yuk).

As others have said, until Brady demonstrates he can play again Cassel isn't going anywhere. And unless the Vikings got Moss, Welker, and the Jedi coach in the deal, I think they'd end up disappointed.

Scott Mitchell anyone?

Bretsky
01-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Cassel + Bellichek > Cassel + Childress

All Cassel has done is make me wonder if Brady might not be as special as I thought, and whether Bellichek is more special than I thought (yuk).

Best coach in the game I've witnessed........note.....I'm too young for Vince

IF you are ready for your Mea Culpa on Bill Bellichek.......a long long line might follow you pretty soon :lol:

DonHutson
01-12-2009, 09:43 PM
IF you are ready for your Mea Culpa on Bill Bellichek.......a long long line might follow you pretty soon :lol:

Nah... he's still a prick. I'll take it to my grave.

OK, how about this. When he ever takes some joy out of the game, I'll give him his full due.

Fritz
01-13-2009, 06:54 AM
Ras, you would certainly be hailed as a hero is you kicked Chilly in the nuts, even for no reason.

Viking fans have been getting kicked in the nuts by their team for years now.

Payback time.

Fritz
01-13-2009, 06:55 AM

Nah... he's still a prick. I'll take it to my grave.

OK, how about this. When he ever takes some joy out of the game, I'll give him his full due.

Don, Belichek sucks the joy right out of the game...