PDA

View Full Version : PFW Speculation: McDermott to MN?

vince
01-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Obviously pure speculation at this point, and a lot has to happen, but this would bother me. Where is Frazier being talked about being a HC candidate?

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=nfcnorth
McDermott could emerge as candidate to replace Frazier in Minnesota

Defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier is a hot name in coaching circles these days, and some NFL sources believe he’s in line for a head job this year. Team sources have identified DL coach Karl Dunbar and LB coach Fred Pagac as two legitimate, in-house possibilities to replace Frazier should he skip town. But we hear the Vikings might consider Eagles secondary coach Sean McDermott, among others, for the job as well. McDermott cut his teeth with the Eagles while head coach Brad Childress was there, and Childress reportedly was interested in adding McDermott to his staff when he got the job, until Eagles head coach Andy Reid blocked the move. Reid has said he would not stand in McDermott’s way this time should a coordinator job become open. That remains to be seen in Minnesota. Coincidentally, McDermott started at safety at William & Mary alongside Vikings SS Darren Sharper in 1996, where they were teammates with former Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin, the man Frazier replaced.

sheepshead
01-09-2009, 04:01 PM
why would it bother you?

HarveyWallbangers
01-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Minnesota plays a variation of the Tampa Cover 2 (with some more blitzing mixed in). I could be wrong, but I'm not sure they have the cover corners on their roster now to switch to the Jim Johnson scheme. Doesn't that require more man and press coverage? Winfield is a very good all around corner (absolutely perfect for Tampa's cover 2), but he might struggle in another scheme. Much like putting Al Harris in a Tampa Cover 2 scheme. I'm not sure what to make of Cedric Griffin's ability to play in that scheme.

vince
01-09-2009, 04:12 PM
why would it bother you?
MN currently runs the softer Tamp 2 scheme, and they are susceptible against the pass. A more agressive scheme designed to give QB's less time in the pocket could potentially help their weaker DB's.

You still need the players, but I like McDermott, as a lot of NFL people do too. I'd just rather see the status quo in MN.

sheepshead
01-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Yeah , maybe, theyre still awfully good on defense. 4 and/5 against the run and pass I think. In all of football.

HarveyWallbangers
01-09-2009, 04:22 PM
A more agressive scheme designed to give QB's less time in the pocket could potentially help their weaker DB's.

With their front four (Allen and Williams), I'm not sure playing more aggressively would be to their benefit. They generate pressure without the blitzes. They actually have the personnel to fit the Tampa Cover 2 with a good front four, fast LBs, and corners that are smart (at least, Winfield) and can tackle. If Johnson progresses, they might even have two good cover safeties. I don't think their scheme is terrible different than Green Bay--other than what they ask their corners to do.

vince
01-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah , maybe, theyre still awfully good on defense. 4 and/5 against the run and pass I think. In all of football.The Vikes were #1 against the run and #18 against the pass this regular season.

They were also 4th in the league in sacks with 45 behind the Eagles, Steelers and Cowboys, so they were able to get pressure with their existing system. However, that didn't translate to a particularly good pass defense like it did with the three teams above them in sacks.

HarveyWallbangers
01-09-2009, 04:47 PM
The Vikes were #1 against the run and #18 against the pass this regular season.

That's based on yardage, and I think that's a bad indicator. Teams just don't run against them much. They did allow only 15 passing TDs--which was 5th best in the NFL. In year's past, I would have said their pass defense was bad, but it was pretty good this year. They could still use some corners though.

Rastak
01-09-2009, 04:54 PM
A more agressive scheme designed to give QB's less time in the pocket could potentially help their weaker DB's.

With their front four (Allen and Williams), I'm not sure playing more aggressively would be to their benefit. They generate pressure without the blitzes. They actually have the personnel to fit the Tampa Cover 2 with a good front four, fast LBs, and corners that are smart (at least, Winfield) and can tackle. If Johnson progresses, they might even have two good cover safeties. I don't think their scheme is terrible different than Green Bay--other than what they ask their corners to do.

Griffin made huge strides this year. He looked pretty good in several games. He is more of a jam at the line kind of corner but he really improved his playing the ball skills. I'd say he was the most improved defensive player on the Vikings this year.

vince
01-09-2009, 04:54 PM

That's based on yardage, and I think that's a bad indicator. Teams just don't run against them much. They did allow only 15 passing TDs--which was 5th best in the NFL. In year's past, I would have said their pass defense was bad, but it was pretty good this year. They could still use some corners though.
They were pretty average in most ways you look at them against the pass. While they ranked 11th in the league in passes attempted against them, they ranked 18th in yardage. They were 16th best in QB completion percentage, allowing 61.1% of passes to be completed. They had the 5th most 20+ yard passes completed against them.

Rastak
01-09-2009, 04:56 PM

The Vikings did some blitzing this year. They sent Henderson (before hurt) Leber and Greenway quite a bit, actually. They did rely on the front four when they dropped guys back into coverage and had a good rush with just 4.

Rastak
01-09-2009, 04:57 PM

They were pretty average in most ways you look at them against the pass. While they ranked 11th in the league in passes attempted against them, they ranked 18th in yardage. They were 16th best in QB completion percentage, allowing 61.1% of passes to be completed. They had the 5th most 20+ yard passes completed against them.

They weren't top 10 or anything but they definately got the job done and they really shut teams down in the red zone, which is the name of the game.

sheepshead
01-09-2009, 05:34 PM
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

4 and 5 according to these guys at least

vince
01-09-2009, 05:40 PM

4 and 5
I love Football Outsiders and think they have the most relevant stats for determining which teams are playing the best and/or who is likely to have the advantage on a week-to-week basis, but that is what they are most relevant for.

FO's DVOA stats weigh the most recent games much more heavily than the earlier games in a season. That gives good information about how a team is playing week to week, but doesn't give completely accurate information if you want to determine effectiveness over an entire season.

sheepshead
01-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Well in any case, if theres a move that improves that team, I hope it doesnt happen either.

Rastak
01-09-2009, 05:47 PM

4 and 5
I love Football Outsiders and think they have the most relevant stats for determining which teams are playing the best and/or who is likely to have the advantage on a week-to-week basis, but that is what they are most relevant for.

FO's DVOA stats weigh the most recent games much more heavily than the earlier games in a season. That gives good information about how a team is playing week to week, but doesn't give completely accurate information if you want to determine effectiveness over an entire season.

How many games did you catch this year? You seem to have a pretty solid opinion that you've formed. You can say alot of negatives about the Vikings but after losing their leader on defense for the year, they didn't miss a beat. Teams did not march up and down the field like 2007. In the red zone, they shut teams down. They actually made stops on third down. Status quo would be 100% ok with me.

sheepshead
01-09-2009, 06:00 PM
That was kind of my point. The times I saw them, they were very good.

vince
01-10-2009, 01:28 AM
How many games did you catch this year? You seem to have a pretty solid opinion that you've formed. You can say alot of negatives about the Vikings but after losing their leader on defense for the year, they didn't miss a beat. Teams did not march up and down the field like 2007. In the red zone, they shut teams down. They actually made stops on third down. Status quo would be 100% ok with me.
I haven't seen all the Vikings games, nor have I seen all the other games in the league this year, which would be necessary to have done in order to accurately compare them to the rest of the league based on my personal observation. And basing my conclusion on that would introduce a ton of personal bias into the equation. That's why I used the league statistics rather than personal opinion.

I don't doubt that the Vikings have been better this year than last year, although I haven't researched the statistics on that, and I would guess they got better as the season progressed too. The objective facts are that, while they have done a good job keeping teams out of the endzone through the air, they haven't been very good - relative to the rest of the league - in stopping teams from completing passes in general, and particularly long passes.

Now here's my bias. As a Packer fan, I don't want to see that improve, and because Sean McDermott has overseen a group of players that have consistently been among the best in the league at doing just that, I would fear it could improve if he were to be hired.