PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Williams Interviews With McCarthy

pbmax
01-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Gregg Williams Gets a Tour of Brett's Locker (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37372354.html)

After much gnashing of teeth that M3 was going to hire a buddy without interviewing anyone, and fear that Bob Slowik was available and loathing that T2 might be sticking his nose into the HC's business, M3 has an interview with a second candidate. So I apologize for committing all the sins listed above. :P

If Silverstein's source (I think its GBRulz) is to be believed, McCarthy had been interested in interviewing Williams all week and Friday was the day both could be free for their date. So either Bedard's crystal ball is partly cloudy, or our coach and GM have learned a lesson from Ari Fleischer and are now trying to out leak one another to the same paper. Actually, this all seems to come from Williams agent, Marvin Demoff, who used to be one of the most hated agents in football (think Scott Boras) until Drew Rosenhaus made everyone forget him.

The article makes the logical but contrary points that they could offer contracts this weekend, or wait and interview assistants on the losing team's this week. Normally, after seeing all this play out in the press, I can hazard a guess who stands where and which direction we are headed. Not this time. You are on your own.

Bretsky
01-09-2009, 10:34 PM
If we want Williams we need to move quickly. It's my understanding he's interviewed with at least two others.

Williams from what I heard is a bit more outspoken and arrogant. Should be interesting to see if MM would be comfortable with a strong willed personality like that.

Either way we've talked to the two guys I want and I'll be happy with either.

Brando19
01-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Brett's locker is sitting in a UPS warehouse somewhere...hope it makes it to him this year.

I really hope Williams gets the job. I was all for Nolan...but I don't want to lose kampman...no way, no how. I wonder what Williams thought of the Packers?

HarveyWallbangers
01-09-2009, 11:51 PM
If we want Williams we need to move quickly. It's my understanding he's interviewed with at least two others.

But then people would bitch that the Packers didn't talk to more candidates. If Williams doesn't get hired, then I'm assuming McCarthy doesn't think he can work well with him. I don't think money will be an issue. Kind of interesting. Really, New Orleans and Green Bay are pretty similar situations. It would be cool to be a fly on the ball, so we could judge for ourselves how well each candidate interviews.
:D

Bretsky
01-10-2009, 07:01 AM

But then people would bitch that the Packers didn't talk to more candidates. If Williams doesn't get hired, then I'm assuming McCarthy doesn't think he can work well with him. I don't think money will be an issue. Kind of interesting. Really, New Orleans and Green Bay are pretty similar situations. It would be cool to be a fly on the ball, so we could judge for ourselves how well each candidate interviews.
:D

VERY TRUE

This is just reading I do

But apparently Williams comes across borderline arrogant and full of himself.......aka........confident. Very strong personality.

Nolan is more down to earth

The way I read that is MM might get along better with Nolan; that's why my gut still tells me he's our guy.

From the start I've thought these guys are the cream of the crop.

McDermott sounds good on paper but we really know nothing about him

My gut tells me he'll get offered the Saints Job; that is why IMO we need to move on him if he's our guy.

I'd give Moss a chance......but the more I think about this I think it'd be borderline insane to offer him the job over some of these other candidates

Bretsky
01-10-2009, 07:04 AM
As another sidenote both the Saints and Packers job should greatly appeal to a DC

Both offenses are loaded with talent

Both head coaches are offensive minded so the DC can run the show

What a nice choice if offered both

If Williams looks at our roster he'd have to like his scheme with Al Harris, Charles Woodson, and Tramon Williams :!:

RashanGary
01-10-2009, 08:22 AM
If Greg Williams is hired he's obviously going to get paid. McCarthy is getting paid. Thompson is getting paid and is one of the few GM's in football that has complete control with almost ZERO interference from ownership. Owners typically like to load up on talent but unless they're rich they seem to skimp on coaching.

To me, this is another example of how Green Bay is a dream job in the NFL for the coach and the GM. There is fan pressure (and more now than should be with how bad the previous GM was) but other than that, you are given every opportunity to succeed and even if the fans want to whine, you'll get time to show if you have it or not.

If MM fails, if TT fails, it's because they failed and nothing else. When Sherman failed, it was all Sherman and these guys are going to be held to the same standard. This is their last shot. This next 3 years is it for TT/MM and if they don't make it (to premium contender status), with the ability to buy whatever they want at whatever price, they will only be able to look in the flip down mirror at themselves as they drive out of town.

sheepshead
01-10-2009, 08:53 AM
From what I'm reading, I'm kind of excited about Williams joining the Pack. Hope it happens.

RashanGary
01-10-2009, 09:04 AM
From what I'm reading, I'm kind of excited about Williams joining the Pack. Hope it happens.

Me too. There may be a better up and comer that nobody knows about that just needs a chance, but this certainly has the most sure feel to it. With McCarthy and Williams I'd think we have a coaching advantage over most teams.

pbmax
01-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Williams from what I heard is a bit more outspoken and arrogant.
That's funny, as another fan board said that Packer fans can get ready for boring interviews from him. That might make him more like our HC than you would think at first.

ND72
01-10-2009, 10:55 AM
I really hope Williams gets the job. I was all for Nolan...but I don't want to lose kampman...no way, no how. I wonder what Williams thought of the Packers?

why would we have to lose Kampman? All this talk of if we switch to a 3-4 we'd have to dump specifically kampy is premature, and I'll say straight out, stupid talk. You find a spot for players.

KYPack
01-10-2009, 11:05 AM
There was a funny deal going on with Williams in Washington. He had the big job nailed down, then they totally went in a different direction.

Some thought he blew it somehow.

I'd like Williams the best.

Nolan gets all ate up on some pretty static schemes and runs 'em in the ground. Williams seems like a "take what ya got" and makes schemes out of the talent.

gex
01-10-2009, 11:05 AM
If Greg Williams is hired he's obviously going to get paid. McCarthy is getting paid. Thompson is getting paid and is one of the few GM's in football that has complete control with almost ZERO interference from ownership. Owners typically like to load up on talent but unless they're rich they seem to skimp on coaching.

To me, this is another example of how Green Bay is a dream job in the NFL for the coach and the GM. There is fan pressure (and more now than should be with how bad the previous GM was) but other than that, you are given every opportunity to succeed and even if the fans want to whine, you'll get time to show if you have it or not.

If MM fails, if TT fails, it's because they failed and nothing else. When Sherman failed, it was all Sherman and these guys are going to be held to the same standard. This is their last shot. This next 3 years is it for TT/MM and if they don't make it (to premium contender status), with the ability to buy whatever they want at whatever price, they will only be able to look in the flip down mirror at themselves as they drive out of town.

I don't believe they have 3 years JH, if they do not show improvement this next year then that could be all it takes. We lost a lot of close games this year and record wise we should have a great improvement on 6-10.

I would say at least MM is on the hot seat in '09.

ND72
01-10-2009, 11:09 AM

I don't believe they have 3 years JH, if they do not show improvement this next year then that could be all it takes. We lost a lot of close games this year and record wise we should have a great improvement on 6-10.

totally disagree. I'd say they have 2 years. I would put money on the fact if there is a shaky year next year, McCarthy isn't gone.

pbmax
01-10-2009, 11:15 AM
...This next 3 years is it for TT/MM and if they don't make it ...

M3's seat may get hotter if next year is the same disappointment, but you would be dumping a coach 2 years into his 5 year deal. Its much lore likely that he get another year.

And if tradition holds, Thompson will get another shot at a coach. You usually get two. Unless Murphy feels he is in some peril, I say that they will not count one year with Sherman against him.

RashanGary
01-10-2009, 11:21 AM
I agree, ND. Two years minimum. The bar is now officially raised to a higher standard though. Rodgers had his introduction to the NFL. We have two talented young backups (at least one of which should be ready to contribute in spurts next year).

There is not a lot of room for excuses going forward. Their window of real judgement starts in 2009, goes a minimum of two years but is dependent on results if it is to go beyond that.

ND72
01-10-2009, 11:26 AM
I agree, ND. Two years minimum. The bar is now officially raised to a higher standard though. Rodgers had his introduction to the NFL. We have two talented young backups (at least one of which should be ready to contribute in spurts next year).

There is not a lot of room for excuses going forward. Their window of real judgement starts in 2009, goes a minimum of two years but is dependent on results if it is to go beyond that.

Yup, agree fully with that.

Gunakor
01-10-2009, 12:06 PM

why would we have to lose Kampman? All this talk of if we switch to a 3-4 we'd have to dump specifically kampy is premature, and I'll say straight out, stupid talk. You find a spot for players.

Kampy's a bad fit for a 3-4. He's not a 3-4 DE, and he's not a LB. There's no spot for him. Best to try to trade him for as much as we can get if we switch to a 3-4, because he'd be a wasted roster spot and wasted salary.

pbmax
01-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Kampy's a bad fit for a 3-4. He's not a 3-4 DE, and he's not a LB. There's no spot for him. Best to try to trade him for as much as we can get if we switch to a 3-4, because he'd be a wasted roster spot and wasted salary.
Please see McGinest, Willie, specifically late stages of his career. He was a lineman who stood up and occasionally dropped to coverage. Some three fours align just like a 4-3, except that one more guy than usual might be standing up and be listed on the roster as a linebacker.

rbaloha1
01-10-2009, 01:02 PM
IMO GW or MN are a huge improvement over Sanders. Each have coached and implemented multiple schemes.

Lets have faith defensive players are placed in winning positions.

Brando19
01-10-2009, 01:38 PM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/01/10/gregg-williams-and-saints-are-mutually-interested-in-a-courtship/#cont

Looks like Williams' deisire may be the Saints. Oh well...Mike Nolan will do just fine if that's the case.