PDA

View Full Version : Sean McDermott in the running for DC?

KYPack
01-11-2009, 07:47 AM
It's only a blurb in PFT, but it does make a little sense....

"Eagles secondary coach Sean McDermott, per Schefter, is also a leading candidate for the position.

McDermott replaced John Harbaugh who parlayed one year in that position (and several more as special teams coach) into the Ravens head-coaching job. The prior year, McDermott worked for a season as the replacement at linebackers coach to current Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.

In all, McDermott has been with the Eagles since 1998.

If McDermott is still under contract with Philly, the Eagles could block the move. If his contract is expiring after the current season ends, he’s free to go."

All those that want a blitz laden scheme would get their wish. Johnson disciples are hot, so who knows?

texaspackerbacker
01-11-2009, 07:53 AM
Good Grief. Spare us from the disaster this fool, McDermott, would bring us.

The last thing we need is a disciple of the bullshit Johnson uses.

SkinBasket
01-11-2009, 08:01 AM
I don't think the system is "bullshit," but it certainly is an aged defense and I'm not sure it's as effective as it once was. You need someone who can continuously change a defense to keep it fresh and create elements that aren't game planned for while being able to effectively teach the concept and the wrinkles to the players without out-clevering themselves like Slowik did. That's more important than the given system a guy comes from.

KYPack
01-11-2009, 08:03 AM
"the disaster this fool, McDermott, would bring us."

I dunno, Tex.

Johnson's assistants have HC and coordinator jobs all over the league. Maybe it's time we grabbed one.

The Eagles and Ravens are still headed to the Super Bowl.

We are headed to DePere.

cpk1994
01-11-2009, 08:42 AM

The last thing we need is a disciple of the bullshit Johnson uses.That bullshit you speak of has 4 NFC title games and a Super Bowl appearnace to its credit. But your right, the Packers don't need that. :roll:

bigcoz75
01-11-2009, 09:02 AM
not to mention the last two disciples of this system are in the playoffs this year. with a superbowl victory last year.

mission
01-11-2009, 10:02 AM

How dumb does this make you look? 1-10... pick one,

texaspackerbacker
01-11-2009, 10:27 AM
You whiners better be careful what you wish for. I've got a bad beeling you might get it--either dumbass Williams or dumbass McDermott.

For every good play resulting from blitzing, there are 5 or 10 big plays against you. Do you guys not see that from watching games--pro, college, whatever?

So now the mantra is "we need somebody to teach us how to do it right"? Come on, it's not how you blitz that screws things up; It's that you blitz that screws things up.

The Shadow
01-11-2009, 10:36 AM
http://www.packerupdate.com/

SkinBasket
01-11-2009, 10:38 AM
I like that post at update. Here's to hoping any of it is true. Who the fuck does Colin Cole think he is anyway. I think he's got a case of the Corey Williames. Maybe Cleveland will give us a 5th for him.

Rastak
01-11-2009, 10:40 AM
You whiners better be careful what you wish for. I've got a bad beeling you might get it--either dumbass Williams or dumbass McDermott.

For every good play resulting from blitzing, there are 5 or 10 big plays against you. Do you guys not see that from watching games--pro, college, whatever?

So now the mantra is "we need somebody to teach us how to do it right"? Come on, it's not how you blitz that screws things up; It's that you blitz that screws things up.

Are you nuts? NOBODY would blitz if that were the case. Do you think the NFL is filled with idiots? Ones that are stupid AND have made it to the divisional round of the playoffs? That defies every ounce of common sense.

cpk1994
01-11-2009, 10:47 AM

So now the mantra is "we need somebody to teach us how to do it right"? Come on, it's not how you blitz that screws things up; It's that you blitz that screws things up.Again inc case you missed it, the system you call crap has:

4 NFC title games(a 5th with an Eagles win today) and a Super Bowl appearance for Jim Johnston.

Super Bowl win for one of his disiples last year.

But you are right, the Packers don't want any of that. Keep on railing about it though. You look dumber each time.

EDIT: redundancy.

sheepshead
01-11-2009, 11:05 AM
I had a hunch, since we didnt sign any of the other guys, that we were looking at a guy that was still playing (I even posted as much)-Having said that-I dont know much about this guy.

:)

KYPack
01-11-2009, 11:07 AM

Tex, slow down, sit down, and think.

Defense is stopping the run and pressuring the QB as a tool to defend the pass.

We did not come close to doing that last season with a decent personnel group.

Therefore, we canned the defensive staff.

We now have to hire a new defensive staff. We can't stay status quo, all is cool, our boys can do it, go green and gold, etc., etc.

We have to make a change and hire new people to coach the D, cause the old guys are all gone, ya know?

Williams is NOT a hi blitz frequency guy, neither is Nolan (a nickel package guy). McDermott will probably favor a higher blitz ratio, although another Johnson protege (Spagnolo) really isn't a all out blitz freak.

For you to characterize these coaches as dumbass's shows a lack of understanding on your part, not any mental deficiencies in these experienced DCoordinators and assistant coaches.

Sanders WAS a lame coach. For us to stay back in that basic Bates shell all the time and let opposing offenses shove us around, yeah, that was a dumbass move.

MM wants to get a coach in here that can stop the other team and get our offense in better position to win us games. The train has left the station. You'll have to catch a bus and meet it at another town if you want to get on board.

If not, you've already been left behind,

Pugger
01-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Isn't McDermott a DC right now? Wouldn't it be a lateral move if he came to GB? Wouldn't he only move on for a HC position?? :?: Or am I thinking of someone else...? :huh:

KYPack
01-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Isn't McDermott a DC right now? Wouldn't it be a lateral move if he came to GB? Wouldn't he only move on for a HC position?? :?: Or am I thinking of someone else...? :huh:

Evidently.

He's Johnson's DBack coach in Philly.

It's a promotion.

McDermott will be somebodies DCoordinator in the next year, if not this off-season.

Rastak
01-11-2009, 11:33 AM

Someone else I guess. Johnson is the DC.

Joemailman
01-11-2009, 11:36 AM
MCDermott is the DB coach. Jim Johnson is the DC.

rbaloha1
01-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Lets hope the Eagles lose and SM is brought in for an interview pronto.

The Packers have players capable of being effective blitzers -- Hawk, Chillar, Collins, Woodson, Barnett (assuming full recovery).

This season the lack of blitzing hurt the Packers.

Pugger
01-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Yup, I goofed!! :oops: I was thinking of Spagnola but isn't he already a DC?? Oh well...

mraynrand
01-11-2009, 12:04 PM

The front four was not decent after injuries to Jenkins, Barnett and Hawk - as well as the fact that KGB and Harrell could not go at all. That's the main reason the defense sucked. Coaching was more minor, but still a factor.

Gunakor
01-11-2009, 12:46 PM

The bullshit Jim Johnson uses produces considerably better results than the bullshit Bob Sanders has run here in Green Bay. Look at the facts here Tex. They are a better defense than we are.

vince
01-11-2009, 12:52 PM

The bullshit Jim Johnson uses produces considerably better results than the bullshit Bob Sanders has run here in Green Bay. Look at the facts here Tex. They are a better defense than we are.
The Jim Johnson system has produced a top 10 defense in 6 of his 9 years in Philly. The Bates/Sanders derense has been top 10 in 1 of the 5 years it's been in Green Bay. All 5 of the top 5 defenses this year deployed an aggressive attacking style of play. Only Tennessee cracks the top 5 in points given up, and their ball control offensive philosophy also signicantly helps keeps games low scoring.

Tex, its clear that you like the Bates system and think aggressive/attacking defense does more harm than good, but I haven't seen any facts from you or anyone else that support that opinion. All the objective facts indicate just the opposite - yet you continue to personally denigrate those who disagree with you. Can you support your opinion at all? Or at a minimum, can you stop calling those who disagree with you stupid idiots? It's not a very effective argument for your opinions.

Joemailman
01-11-2009, 01:23 PM
I wonder if Tex is watching the defenses in the Giants/Philly game. Jim Johnson vs. a Jim Johnson disciple.

Rastak
01-11-2009, 01:46 PM
I wonder if Tex is watching the defenses in the Giants/Philly game. Jim Johnson vs. a Jim Johnson disciple.

Well, you can clearly see by the 34-31 halftime score these blitzes just produce big plays for the offense.

packers11
01-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Sometimes they only bring 4 people... But its in different directions, not the 4 obvious lineman... Packers should be taking some notes...

KYPack
01-11-2009, 02:38 PM

The front four was not decent after injuries to Jenkins, Barnett and Hawk - as well as the fact that KGB and Harrell could not go at all. That's the main reason the defense sucked. Coaching was more minor, but still a factor.

Our defensive backfield is outstanding, one of the league's better groups.

Even after the injuries, the front 7 was an OK bunch. RDE was troublesome, never was covered that well, but the players were still good enough to do much better than they performed in games last season.

I agree with the coaching change 100%.

It was needed on both ST and defense.

cpk1994
01-11-2009, 03:18 PM
5th NFC title game for Johnson and the Eagles. Not bad for a bullshit system, huh Tex? :lol:

texaspackerbacker
01-11-2009, 06:58 PM
I mostly watched the Wisconsin basketball game, but I had the Giants and Eagles on the little TV on top of the big screen.

What I did notice is that neither team seemed to blitz very much today--maybe something to do with Philly not seeing much of a passing threat from New York due to the LUCK of the Giants missing players. Damn shame that we didn't have the LUCK of having Burris's gun go off last season. Oh yeah, I forgot, you guys don't believe in LUCK.

I'm ready to just say a great big WHATEVER in this discussion. We are gonna get what we are gonna get, and nothing I or anybody else say in here is gonna change that. I don't like blitzing; I don't like defense dominated teams in general--the old Bears, the old and current Ravens, the old Bucs, etc. If we get a tough defense along with a high powered offense, I'll be satisfied.

My final word, though, is that I really think any blitz-oriented defense is going to be a significant step downward. I don't have any stats to back that up, just what I see game after game after game on all levels--big offensive plays coming on failed blitzes--that in contrast to the many big plays the Packer D has made the past couple of years, which I think we will see far less of with some new system.

I try very hard not to call forum people "stupid" or "idiot" or whatever. Never say never, but I don't do it much. Public figures, sports and otherwise, though, I reserve the right to tell it like I see it. And ideas, concepts, schemes, doctrines, theories, plans, articles, posts, any of that crap, I will certainly label it what it is--IMNHO. (The N is for NOT).

mission
01-11-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm ready to just say a great big WHATEVER in this discussion.

You've already done that plenty.

Packnut
01-11-2009, 10:38 PM

As long as it ain't dumb ass you! :lol:

pbmax
01-11-2009, 11:04 PM

Well, you can clearly see by the 34-31 halftime score these blitzes just produce big plays for the offense.
You are in a league of you own.

pack4to84
01-12-2009, 08:35 AM
If we wait for Sean McDermott to be available we could lose out on Nolan and Williams. Then to have the Eagles deny us the interview because he is still under contract for 1 more year. Then we would be limited on choices. I say choose between Nolan and Williams now.

cpk1994
01-12-2009, 08:48 AM
If we wait for Sean McDermott to be available we could lose out on Nolan and Williams. Then to have the Eagles deny us the interview because he is still under contract for 1 more year. Then we would be limited on choices. I say choose between Nolan and Williams now.The Eagles won't deny an interview of McDermott. This would be a potential promotion, and denying an interview would make the Eagles look like dicks, not a perception to have for perspective coaches down the line when the Eagles have openings.

Rastak
01-12-2009, 08:49 AM
If we wait for Sean McDermott to be available we could lose out on Nolan and Williams. Then to have the Eagles deny us the interview because he is still under contract for 1 more year. Then we would be limited on choices. I say choose between Nolan and Williams now.

Adam Schefter has reported Nolan is taking the Denver job. Hopefuly that can be confirmed today.

pbmax
01-12-2009, 09:03 AM
If we wait for Sean McDermott to be available we could lose out on Nolan and Williams. Then to have the Eagles deny us the interview because he is still under contract for 1 more year. Then we would be limited on choices. I say choose between Nolan and Williams now.The Eagles won't deny an interview of McDermott. This would be a potential promotion, and denying an interview would make the Eagles look like dicks, not a perception to have for perspective coaches down the line when the Eagles have openings.
Tell that to Tampa Bay, who deny their assistants all the time. Philly has lost two top D assistants in the last two years. It wouldn't be the greatest sin ever committed against Assistant Coaches. So if I am M3, I make sure to contact Reid and the owner to be sure McDermott is available.

KYPack
01-12-2009, 10:07 AM
There are so many angles to this job search, it ain't funny.

Another wild card is Rex Ryan. He's a serious candidate for both the Jets KC and St Lou HC gig. That would open up the Ravens DC job. Great coach, great GM, great defense, but you have to deal with the maximum leader of that D, Ray Lewis.

Looks like Nolan has the Denver job, but McDermott & Williams could wait for the Baltimore job to come in play. (not to mention the Tennessee job!)

Things are fucked up

rbaloha1
01-12-2009, 10:17 AM

Agreed given the Senior Bowl and combine.

Rastak
01-12-2009, 10:22 AM
There are so many angles to this job search, it ain't funny.

Another wild card is Rex Ryan. He's a serious candidate for both the Jets KC and St Lou HC gig. That would open up the Ravens DC job. Great coach, great GM, great defense, but you have to deal with the maximum leader of that D, Ray Lewis.

Looks like Nolan has the Denver job, but McDermott & Williams could wait for the Baltimore job to come in play. (not to mention the Tennessee job!)

Things are fucked up

In addition, if Leslie Frazier gets the Rams gig they're ( Vikings) looking for a DC too. I'm guessing with Chilly's connections it would be McDermott if Reid allows him to move. Eagles have denied asst coaches moves before.

Fritz
01-12-2009, 12:21 PM
As someone noted above, wouldn't it be kosher to check with Reid and the Eagles owners to see if they'd let McDermott fly?

I wouldn't say it's a fu_ked up situation. I'd say it's the normal scramble of competing for hires.

I'm kind of up for a new, young, up-and-comer like McDermott, who might feel less pressure in a place like GB than in a place like Baltimore (if Ryan gets a head coach gig).

I'd be okay with Williams, too, though he may be using GB to drive up his salary in NO, which seems to be enamoured of him.

If MM thinks Williams is THE guy, then of course he needs to get TT to make an offer pronto.

If he's not sure, or is hot to at least interview McDermott, then I can see why he'd as soon wait.

Partial
01-12-2009, 12:22 PM
If we end up with Mike Nolan I'm going to crap a Koala.

KYPack
01-12-2009, 01:38 PM
As someone noted above, wouldn't it be kosher to check with Reid and the Eagles owners to see if they'd let McDermott fly?

I wouldn't say it's a fu_ked up situation. I'd say it's the normal scramble of competing for hires.

I'm kind of up for a new, young, up-and-comer like McDermott, who might feel less pressure in a place like GB than in a place like Baltimore (if Ryan gets a head coach gig).

I'd be okay with Williams, too, though he may be using GB to drive up his salary in NO, which seems to be enamoured of him.

If MM thinks Williams is THE guy, then of course he needs to get TT to make an offer pronto.

If he's not sure, or is hot to at least interview McDermott, then I can see why he'd as soon wait.

I thought if it was a promotion, they had to let you go.

McDermott is the more attractive candidate to me, but hell, I wanted Chilly over MM back in that time.

Rastak
01-12-2009, 01:39 PM

McDermott is the more attractive candidate to me, but hell, I wanted Chilly over MM back in that time.

Nope. Only for a head coaching job. In this case, the guy has only one year left on his deal so it would be rather shitty of them to hold him back one more year.

cpk1994
01-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Tell that to Tampa Bay, who deny their assistants all the time. Philly has lost two top D assistants in the last two years. It wouldn't be the greatest sin ever committed against Assistant Coaches. So if I am M3, I make sure to contact Reid and the owner to be sure McDermott is available.OF course Tampa Bay would do that. John Gruden is already a big dick. He has nothing to lose in that regard.

mission
01-12-2009, 02:15 PM

Nope. Only for a head coaching job. In this case, the guy has only one year left on his deal so it would be rather shitty of them to hold him back one more year.

Yeah, this is considered a lateral move by the league. That said, Reid has already blocked McDermott once and has said he won't do it again so the contract (seemingly) is irrelevant.