PDA

View Full Version : Former Packer prez John Jones

Pugger
01-11-2009, 11:12 AM
I don't think the Packers revealed why Jones was removed from that position just days before he was supposed to take over for Harlan until now. I remember all the wild speculation surrounding it and now I wish the Packers had just said Jones had health issues that prevented him from taking over. :?

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090110/PKR01/90110035/1058/PKR01

cpk1994
01-11-2009, 11:16 AM
I don't think the Packers revealed why Jones was removed from that position just days before he was supposed to take over for Harlan until now. I remember all the wild speculation surrounding it and now I wish the Packers had just said Jones had health issues that prevented him from taking over. :?

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090110/PKR01/90110035/1058/PKR01I agree. Not one of Bob Harlan's finer moments.

Guiness
01-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Ya, there was a lot of talk about him being an egomaniac, no one could get along with him, etc, etc.

I guess all that might still be true, but if the reason was health related, why didn't they just say that, instead of planting a seed for all the speculation???

KYPack
01-11-2009, 11:28 AM

Because it was more than health issues.

Let's just say that John Jones did NOT measure up to what he had been presented to the Packers during the hiring process. He has an abrasive personality and didn't really come close to the requisite qualifications for the job.

After a time, Harlan and the Exec Council made the decision to go another way, and Jones and the Pack parted company.

That decision was the best for both Jones and the Packers, so it turned out well.

oregonpackfan
01-11-2009, 12:02 PM
One of the main points of this article deals with Jones speaking before men's groups urging them to seek regular medical check-ups and healthful living habits. This includes many of us posters! :oops:

I liked his quote, "Men take care of their cars better than their own bodies."

Partial
01-11-2009, 01:58 PM
I get a really bad vibe from Murphy. I guess Harlan was just the rare, special boss who understands GB football.

KYPack
01-11-2009, 02:08 PM
I get a really bad vibe from Murphy. I guess Harlan was just the rare, special boss who understands GB football.

What do you mean, "a really bad vibe"?

Partial
01-11-2009, 02:10 PM

Just don't care for him. Never met him, talked to him, or anything like that. Somethign is just off-putting about the guy to me. Can't put my finger on it.

KYPack
01-11-2009, 02:45 PM

Just don't care for him. Never met him, talked to him, or anything like that. Somethign is just off-putting about the guy to me. Can't put my finger on it.

If the John Jones Packer Presidency ever saw the light of day, you wouldn't have to guess.

The "bad vibe" would have been right there for all to see.

Murphy will do just fine, IMHO. He's been groomed and trained for the job he's got. I was worried about him in the Favre fiasco (he never should have made that trip to Mississippi, it could only turn out poorly). He's stayed well belwo the radar and acted presidential since then.

cpk1994
01-11-2009, 02:54 PM

Because it was more than health issues.

Let's just say that John Jones did NOT measure up to what he had been presented to the Packers during the hiring process. He has an abrasive personality and didn't really come close to the requisite qualifications for the job.

After a time, Harlan and the Exec Council made the decision to go another way, and Jones and the Pack parted company.

That decision was the best for both Jones and the Packers, so it turned out well.Thats fine, but why not just say up front it was health issues instead of saying nothing and let speculation run wild? It was a serious mistake to say nothing at all on Harlan's part.

Patler
01-11-2009, 03:06 PM
There are very restrictive privacy laws now about the release of any kind of medical information by doctors, hospitals, employers, etc. As you might recall, Jones himself refused to discuss his original problem a year before, saying only that he had a"procedure" performed. Unless Jones agreed to it, the Packers probably thought they could say no more than they did without risking liability if Jones looked for high level jobs elsewhere.

It was up to Jones, not Harlan, to say what information he wanted out in the public. From the sounds of things, he was unwilling to do that until recently.

cpk1994
01-11-2009, 03:14 PM
There are very restrictive privacy laws now about the release of any kind of medical information by doctors, hospitals, employers, etc. As you might recall, Jones himself refused to discuss his original problem a year before, saying only that he had a"procedure" performed. Unless Jones agreed to it, the Packers probably thought they could say no more than they did without risking liability if Jones looked for high level jobs elsewhere.

It was up to Jones, not Harlan, to say what information he wanted out in the public. From the sounds of things, he was unwilling to do that until recently.But you didn't have to be spacific. Just say "We are going in a different firection due to Jones's helath concerns". Thats it. NO liability. Nothing. It was just a simple mistake by Harlan.

KYPack
01-11-2009, 03:20 PM

It was up to Jones, not Harlan, to say what information he wanted out in the public. From the sounds of things, he was unwilling to do that until recently.But you didn't have to be spacific. Just say "We are going in a different firection due to Jones's helath concerns". Thats it. NO liability. Nothing. It was just a simple mistake by Harlan.

I, uh, re-iterate.

Jones health had little to do with his dismissal as Packer Pres.

He proved to be unworthy before he got the job for real and was cashiered before he could take full control.

HIPPA laws didn't have squat to do with it.

Harlan made a bunch of mistakes in the Jones affair, but the one you mention wasn't one of 'em.

oregonpackfan
01-11-2009, 03:22 PM

It was up to Jones, not Harlan, to say what information he wanted out in the public. From the sounds of things, he was unwilling to do that until recently.

The legal privacy laws are indeed important to keep in mind.

The personal privacy issues are another matter to consider. It has been my experience that a number of people with terminal illness and/or life-threatening conditions(Jones' surgery only had a 10% survival rate) don't want other people to pity them. They want to deal with it or die with a sense of dignity.

I don't know if Jones just did not want his personal privacy to be protected. Perhaps he did and the Packers' management wanted to respect his wishes.

cpk1994
01-11-2009, 03:30 PM

I, uh, re-iterate.

Jones health had little to do with his dismissal as Packer Pres.

He proved to be unworthy before he got the job for real and was cashiered before he could take full control.

HIPPA laws didn't have squat to do with it.

Harlan made a bunch of mistakes in the Jones affair, but the one you mention wasn't one of 'em.Sure it had little to do with their reasons, but health concerns at least entered into the decision. All they had to do was mention the health concerns as the reason. It would have avoided all the speculation. They wouldn't have been lying.

Patler
01-11-2009, 03:32 PM
But you didn't have to be spacific. Just say "We are going in a different firection due to Jones's helath concerns". Thats it. NO liability. Nothing. It was just a simple mistake by Harlan.

You can expose yourself to liability without being specific, the mere implication of a significant health issue can do it. What you suggested, stating that Jones health was of concern to the Packers so much so that they pulled the job away from him is plenty enough to do it.

However, I defer to KYPack on this, that it really wasn't the health issue anyway. I'm just saying that even if it was due to health concerns they still might not have said anymore than what they did, without approval from Jones to do so.

cpk1994
01-11-2009, 03:36 PM
But you didn't have to be spacific. Just say "We are going in a different firection due to Jones's helath concerns". Thats it. NO liability. Nothing. It was just a simple mistake by Harlan.

You can expose yourself to liability without being specific, the mere implication of a significant health issue can do it. What you suggested, stating that Jones health was of concern to the Packers so much so that they pulled the job away from him is plenty enough to do it.

However, I defer to KYPack on this, that it really wasn't the health issue anyway. I'm just saying that even if it was due to health concerns they still might not have said anymore than what they did, without approval from Jones to do so.Agree to disagree then. I feel that Harlan made a mistake by saying next to nothing becuase it created uneeded speculation.

Patler
01-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Agree to disagree then. I feel that Harlan made a mistake by saying next to nothing becuase it created uneeded speculation.

I understand that it had the result you said, and I agree that speculation could have been diminished with a different statement. However, I can assure you (I'm not speculating here) that many, many companies and organizations have completely removed any reference to health issues or topics from any statement about an individual, and will instead say "personal reasons".

KYPack
01-11-2009, 04:15 PM
At the time of the firing, Harlan was specifically asked if the health situation was the reason for the "leave of absence".

Harlan was blunt and candid and stated the health concerns were NOT the reason for the decision.

You know Harlan. He was and is a straight shooter.

The Jones hire was a huge mistake on Bob's part.

He realized it and fixed it.

He showed balls by owning and admitting his mistake.

cpk1994
01-12-2009, 06:40 AM
At the time of the firing, Harlan was specifically asked if the health situation was the reason for the "leave of absence".

Harlan was blunt and candid and stated the health concerns were NOT the reason for the decision.

You know Harlan. He was and is a straight shooter.

The Jones hire was a huge mistake on Bob's part.

He realized it and fixed it.

He showed balls by owning and admitting his mistake.Yes he did show balls. But he handled it poorly and created needless speculation which could have been easily avoided.

sheepshead
01-12-2009, 08:23 AM
I dont get this. All this being health related is speculation. Even if it was, there is no way on Gods green earth that it can be the official reason. What if you were HIV positive , were fired from a job for being total failure and fuck off and your employer said and oh by the way, he's got AIDs.
A football team cant ruin a guys career any more than a machine shop in Oshkosh can.

mraynrand
01-12-2009, 09:11 AM
I dont get this. All this being health related is speculation. Even if it was, there is no way on Gods green earth that it can be the official reason. What if you were HIV positive , were fired from a job for being total failure and fuck off and your employer said and oh by the way, he's got AIDs.
A football team cant ruin a guys career any more than a machine shop in Oshkosh can.

I think the problem is with your fuel injection

http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/TCM/Images/Dynamic/i22/Philadelphia_FF_300x225_012320041710.gif

sheepshead
01-12-2009, 09:18 AM

I think the problem is with your fuel injection

http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/TCM/Images/Dynamic/i22/Philadelphia_FF_300x225_012320041710.gif

Hey, I'm a pitcher, not a catcher!

KYPack
01-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Here's Rob Demovsky's column from July 07.

This is a "Cliff Notes" version of things I've heard about Jones.

Jones was a little nightmare around the Packer Offices. Harlan dragged his feet in making a move and firing Jones. After Jones' medical problems, he was screwing up even worse. Before the heart problem, Jones was going to be released from his postion. He was abrasive, ego-centric, and untrustworthy. He was a marginal employee, let alone a chairman and CEO.

"A couple of weeks ago, during my annual late June/early July vacation prior to training camp, I ran into a prominent person in the Green Bay community who knows John Jones well and worked closely with him on at least one key project.
In a nutshell, here's what this person had to say about Jones' situation, which ultimately forced he and the Packers to part ways instead of him having take over for Bob Harlan as CEO as originally planned.

Jones, according to this source, had several significant problems before his heart problem surfaced in June 2006. People who worked for him didn't trust him, didn't get along well with him and didn't respect him. Jones took credit for good work done by others and deflected blame when things didn't go well.

However, Jones' heart problem exacerbated his shortcomings because, according to this source, Jones sustained substantial problems following the heart issue because for an undetermined amount of time he suffered from a lack of oxygen to the brain, which caused memory problems.
That would help explain what another Packers' source said were 'little screw ups around the office' by Jones after he returned to work in the fall 2006."

Jones was an unfortunate last move for Bob Harlan. There is more to how Harlan was deluded by others to hire Jones, but that can be told another time.

sheepshead
01-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Hire slow, fire fast. If you have made a mistake. Take care of it, quick. MM did that this year. There is too much at stake to not act quickly.