PDA

View Full Version : Packers interested in Matt Birk

LL2
01-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Doesn't the guy detest the Packers? He is 32 and getting kind of old, but the Packer OL could use a solid veteran. If TT does sign him I hope it is only a 2-3 year deal.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/84697-packers-to-pursue-vikings-center

RashanGary
01-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Interesting.

Clifton/Spitz/Birk/Sitton/Colledge

With the #9 pick being a LT to groom behind Clifton. I'd hope it's a two year deal, nothing more.

Bretsky
01-11-2009, 07:30 PM
I doubt we do this, but I'd be fine as he's better than Wells IMO

Lurker64
01-11-2009, 07:31 PM
I wonder how much he's got left in his tank.

Patler
01-11-2009, 07:37 PM
I wonder what their source is for this. That seems kind of unusual to me.

retailguy
01-11-2009, 07:43 PM
I wonder what their source is for this. That seems kind of unusual to me.

agreed. If there is one spot on the line that wouldn't be a priority, it would seem to be center.

Spitz played well at center, not so well at guard.

This on its surface doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it is Ted we're talking about. :wink: (Note to the Ted lovers, THAT WAS A JOKE.) :P

Lurker64
01-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Maybe Ted wants Birk at guard, not center? We can always use guards...

Patler
01-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Could be a reporter reading that MM wants Spitz to compete with Wells next year, then assuming the Packers look at center as a position of need, so concludes they would be interested in Birk.

Joemailman
01-11-2009, 08:25 PM
I'd rather he sign Brooke Burke

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd155/isaacand/Brooke_Burke_2_321-1.jpg

DonHutson
01-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Wasn't there some Birk to Green Bay rumor a couple of years ago? He was either a FA or he was in some sort of contract tiff, and he was seen in Green Bay or something?

pittstang5
01-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Wasn't there some Birk to Green Bay rumor a couple of years ago? He was either a FA or he was in some sort of contract tiff, and he was seen in Green Bay or something?

I was thinking of the same thing...only more recently, like this off-season or something.

Rastak
01-11-2009, 08:53 PM

I was thinking of the same thing...only more recently, like this off-season or something.

The contract "tiff" was a couple years ago. He had a sports hernia and wanted to have it operated on but it would end his season. The Vikings said he could play with the injury and have it operated on in the off season. He said he would if they gaurenteed his contract for the following year and the Vikings said no, so he had surgery and was shut down for the year.

edit: He's coming off a 5 year deal I think so I highly doubt he was in Green Bay.

RashanGary
01-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Hey, at the very least get in the bidding so they have to pay him more money and have a tougher time affording a QB ;)

Lurker64
01-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Hey, at the very least get in the bidding so they have to pay him more money and have a tougher time affording a QB ;)

I thought the Vikings' interest in bringing back Birk was lukewarm at best?

RashanGary
01-12-2009, 07:31 AM

I thought the Vikings' interest in bringing back Birk was lukewarm at best?

Honestly, I wouldnt' doubt if they knew he'd have a tough time getting a big contrace else where because of his age and they figured they could just wait and pay him a lower tier deal without real competition.

If GB comes in and offers him something fair, but not high, it will force the Vikings either pay a fair deal to one of their better players or lose him.

Kleinsauser, Birk, Sharper and Udeze are all UFA's. Plus they need a QB. Plus they're staring to approach the cap. They've traded away a few high picks. Their depth is suspect already (as evident by really bad ST's). I think Birk would be a guy you could pry away from a very reasonable price and although he's a little older, he's been one of the best centers in football for a long time. He'd bring some savvy and knowledge to the unit as well as being a guy who was great in his prime so is still damn good on the downside of it. I don't think us taking him would be all that high of a price and I do think it would hurt the Vikings.

Pugger
01-12-2009, 07:39 AM
Why does Birk hate GB? Or is this just a player saying this about a major rival? :?:

Rastak
01-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Why does Birk hate GB? Or is this just a player saying this about a major rival? :?:

I highly doubt he said that.

AV David
01-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Birk has never said he hates the Packers. He is as much a gentleman as any professional athlete I can think of. He grew up in the Highland district of St Paul and is really well grounded. He has not forgotten his roots. He went to Harvard. He is extremely approachable.

He asked the Vikes to talk about a new contract last summer. The Vikings basically said "NO". He kept his mouth shut and played. Not one word of complaint.

Every couple of years a guy comes along that makes it difficult to hate the Vikings. This is the guy.

(PS He makes it difficult, but not impossible.)

Pugger
01-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Well, if the queens don't want him, this is just the type of guy I'd want to be a leader of an O line especially if Tauscher and Cliffy are done...

Rastak
01-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Well, if the queens don't want him, this is just the type of guy I'd want to be a leader of an O line especially if Tauscher and Cliffy are done...

I think they'd like him back but aren't willing to pay top dollar to do it. Birk wants to stay, so it depends on what he's looking for I guess.

rbaloha1
01-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Great pickup. Wells, Spitz and Moll could be fighting for roster spots.

The o-line requires an overhaul.

denverYooper
01-12-2009, 10:39 AM

Maybe you're thinking of Hovan.

mngolf19
01-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Vikes have his successor in place so it really depends on his price. He's local and would like to finish with Vikes so his price would be lower for them. Just a matter of whether they can agree on it being worthwhile for both. I've actually wondered whether he could step into the guard or tackle spot for Vikes. Would help shore of the RT spot if he could.

mngolf19
01-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Kleinsauser, Birk, Sharper and Udeze are all UFA's. Plus they need a QB. Plus they're staring to approach the cap. They've traded away a few high picks. Their depth is suspect already (as evident by really bad ST's). I think Birk would be a guy you could pry away from a very reasonable price and although he's a little older, he's been one of the best centers in football for a long time. He'd bring some savvy and knowledge to the unit as well as being a guy who was great in his prime so is still damn good on the downside of it. I don't think us taking him would be all that high of a price and I do think it would hurt the Vikings.

Vikes are not approaching the cap. They have over $20M. Their depth is not suspect. They may have Birk's successor already, Sharper's successor already, were fine with their 4th string MLB. (how does bad ST's mean you are suspect in depth?) I'd argue they have great depth. They don't have a high 1st rounder to pay this year and there are no great WR's so they can easily afford Kleinsasser, a new QB, and Birk if they want to.