PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Coordinator Speculation: Week 2

pbmax
01-11-2009, 09:01 PM
McDermott is rumored to be a leading choice of the Broncos new Head Coach, Josh McDaniels.

Either his agent has OCD or this guy is will have 3-4 jobs offers if the Eagles should not make it to the Super Bowl. He is also under contract for one more year, so Reid, et al. could block a move. Andy has said he would no longer do this, as he has blocked him once before. But with several job offers, Reid could direct him out of the NFC should he wish.

KYPack
01-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Read someplace that Williams will probably go to Tenn to replace their guy, who's heading to Detroit to HC.

Nolan by default?

Joemailman
01-11-2009, 09:08 PM
I could see Reid trying to direct him out of the division (Giants if Spagnuolo gets a HC job). I don't think he'd try to block the Packers or some other NFC team from signing him as DC though.

pbmax
01-11-2009, 09:12 PM
That wouldn't be surprising. I read the Williams to Tennessee thing too. The only thing working in the Packer's favor is autonomy, Williams would get to call everything under McCarthy. And Money, if Williams really is T2's guy, I can't see the contract getting in the way.

Of course, I don't know if Reinfeldt would give a coordinator a better seat at the personnel table than T2 would, although judging by the defensive draft success, it might be best left alone.

I almost say McDermott over Nolan just for something different with the same cast of characters, but I fear that one more assistant from that team might be going to the well too often. Harbaugh has had one good year, and it wasn't because he was calling the defense. Its because they drafted Flacco.

Bretsky
01-11-2009, 09:49 PM
That wouldn't be surprising. I read the Williams to Tennessee thing too. The only thing working in the Packer's favor is autonomy, Williams would get to call everything under McCarthy. And Money, if Williams really is T2's guy, I can't see the contract getting in the way.

Of course, I don't know if Reinfeldt would give a coordinator a better seat at the personnel table than T2 would, although judging by the defensive draft success, it might be best left alone.

I almost say McDermott over Nolan just for something different with the same cast of characters, but I fear that one more assistant from that team might be going to the well too often. Harbaugh has had one good year, and it wasn't because he was calling the defense. Its because they drafted Flacco.

If we wait for McDermott we might not get him anyways; how about closing the deal with whoever the heck our preference is :idea: :idea:

Bretsky
01-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Read someplace that Williams will probably go to Tenn to replace their guy, who's heading to Detroit to HC.

Nolan by default?

Bummer; I had become at peace with Williams as the top gun. Tennessee is a great setup for him with a coach he respects. If we want him it sounds like we need to close the deal :!:

pbmax
01-11-2009, 11:00 PM
If he still sees himself as an eventual Head Coach, then he may go to Green Bay anyway. While at Tennessee, it will always look like Fisher's D. Of course, that hasn't hurt the new Giants D coordinator or the Ravens head coach.

Partial
01-11-2009, 11:02 PM
If he still sees himself as an eventual Head Coach, then he may go to Green Bay anyway. While at Tennessee, it will always look like Fisher's D. Of course, that hasn't hurt the new Giants D coordinator or the Ravens head coach.

That's really kind of weird to me that he'd leave under Fisher, go all over the league, then come back under Fisher. Must kind of feel like all that time was for nothing :lol:

pbmax
01-12-2009, 07:20 AM
Yes, I know this has its own thread, I just want to keep this one up to date with all of the potential coordinators non-Packer news.

Shefter (who had McDermott to Broncos) has Nolan going to San Fran, to take the job, not just interview. The Denver Post has Capers and Nolan getting consideration, with Mort claiming aliens have landed in his backyard and told him McDermott will go to Denver.

Also, Schwartz from the Titans is getting a second interview with the Lions, which might tighten the timeframe on hiring Williams.