PDA

View Full Version : Nolan to Denver

packers11
01-12-2009, 12:41 AM
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

Mike Nolan bound for Denver, too

Posted: January 12th, 2009 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Adam Schefter, Denver Broncos, Josh McDaniels, Mike Nolan

Now that the Broncos have agreed to hire Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels as head coach, he has begun to piece together his staff.

McDaniels’ most significant hire will be his defensive coordinator. And Denver’s new defensive coordinator is expected to be former 49ers head coach Mike Nolan, a Broncos source confirmed Sunday night.

Nolan interviewed for the Packers’ job last week, but he will take the Broncos’ job, returning him to the city where he once coached under Dan Reeves and Wade Phillips.

Partial
01-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Wow. Getting nervous...

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/37427179.html
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37427559.html

I would be alright with Williams (my initial first choice; called multiple times over past few years), McDermott (sounds like an up-and-comer) or the LB coach for Pittsburgh (His units are always tip-top)

Lurker64
01-12-2009, 02:08 AM
If we remember the list of top up and coming assistant coaches (of which admittedly McDermott was #1), the vast majority were position coaches on the Titans or Giants. So there may be some other interviews forthcoming.

I'm not sad about missing out on Nolan at all.

Kiwon
01-12-2009, 03:38 AM
I hope that the Packers can get their DC settled early before the Super Bowl so that he can immediately pitch for the top talent position coaches of his choice.

There's a lot of movement just after the final game. We need somebody who can assemble the team he wants. I hope that TT and MM will be on-board for this approach.

Bretsky
01-12-2009, 06:57 AM
looks like the cream of the crop is cut in half if this is true. Yuk

pbmax
01-12-2009, 07:23 AM
The one guy I see who might mean serious change in personnel is the Pittsburgh linebacker coach. The Steelers' personnel on D are much different than our currently.

RashanGary
01-12-2009, 07:28 AM
Dom Capers is interesting. He had success on his own and now he got to see what goes on in NE. I'm sure he learned a thing or two from the hoodie.

I'd also be OK with a guy from Tennessee. Ted has connections there, so I think they would get some honest input on who would be ready.

With the little knowledge I have, I'd rank the candidates like this:

Greg Williams (I think his agent is sending out false signals to NO to make the Packers bite now and pay more)
Dom Capers (DC with some damn good Steeler defenses and now worked with the hoodie)
Tennessee Assitant (Tough to know if the guy you're promoting is really good. Everyone will give their assistants glowing grades, but Ted is connected and could get some honest input on who is ready)

pbmax
01-12-2009, 07:36 AM
Be careful about Nolan to Denver. The HC probably hasn't even unpacked his kit and now a source in Denver knows who the D coordinator will be. The key word is Schefter's piece is expected. You can expect anything, not have it happen, and yet you would not have to claim you were wrong.

Spaulding
01-12-2009, 09:27 AM
I doubt it will be the Steelers LB coach as he's new to the position as of this year I believe. Wasn't John Harbaugh (Raven's HC now) the LB coach for the Steelers last year?

I'm onboard with the McDermott train - hoping his results are like Tomlin's were for the Vikes and now Steelers.

LL2
01-12-2009, 09:52 AM
I'm not worried about losing Nolan, but would like M3 to make a decision soon. Probably is waiting for McDermott if he hasn't made up his mind yet.

pbmax
01-12-2009, 10:10 AM
I doubt it will be the Steelers LB coach as he's new to the position as of this year I believe. Wasn't John Harbaugh (Raven's HC now) the LB coach for the Steelers last year?

I'm onboard with the McDermott train - hoping his results are like Tomlin's were for the Vikes and now Steelers.
You are getting your Pennsylvania football teams confused. Harbaugh worked for the Eagles and the Steelers LB coach Keith Butler has been there since 2003.

McDermott is one year in as secondary coach, but he was linebacker coach last year and has coached a position on that defense for 6 years, the first year as an assistant secondary coach.

He also looks like a dead ringer for Hasselback's red headed brother.

pbmax
01-12-2009, 10:11 AM
PFT has new rumors that Nolan to Denver is close.

rbaloha1
01-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Greg Williams (I think his agent is sending out false signals to NO to make the Packers bite now and pay more)

Agreed. Surprised by the Nolan news but maybe not. Bowlan is moving quickly.

Williams is fine. Brash with a Parcells like attitude. Fine the defense needs a "kick in the ass" swagger. Confidence started dwindling as the season progressed. Williams hire allows MM to concentrate on offense.

Hiring needs to be done quickly due to the Senior Bowl and NFL Combine. Schemes need to be figured out.

What about a special teams coach?

PlantPage55
01-12-2009, 11:20 AM
I like how they say we "miss out" or "lose out" on Nolan. Please.

Nolan was like one of the last of the "good" available candidates that I (and a lot of others) wanted. But the state papers can't resist their subtly negative slant in their articles.

Lurker64
01-12-2009, 11:24 AM
It's just amusing in light of all of the "Nolan to Green Bay", "Nolan virtual lock for Packers job", "Nolan almost certain to be next DC in Green Bay" articles that were based on "sources".

Spaulding
01-12-2009, 11:43 AM

You are getting your Pennsylvania football teams confused. Harbaugh worked for the Eagles and the Steelers LB coach Keith Butler has been there since 2003.

McDermott is one year in as secondary coach, but he was linebacker coach last year and has coached a position on that defense for 6 years, the first year as an assistant secondary coach.

He also looks like a dead ringer for Hasselback's red headed brother.

Sorry, you're right. Guess I need to hit the bottle a little less on Monday mornings.

pbmax
01-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Silverstein has confirmation that Nolan is going to Denver.

pbmax
01-12-2009, 01:13 PM
A name I had forgotten about, Dave McGinnis. Would not mind having that guy either. In fact, he would be my next choice after Williams.

bobblehead
01-12-2009, 03:49 PM
WOO HOO, I really didn't want Nolan!!! Now someone call Bates, or Tim Lewis (but I think Lewis is a 3-4 guy). I'm pipedreaming, but I would love MM, TT, and Bates to bury the hatchett and get him back in GB.

denverYooper
01-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Nolan and Denver "mutually part ways" after 1 year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/18/denver-enters-the-defensive-coordinator-derby/

It doesn't say here, but Nolan resigned. Not sure why yet but I'm sure that tomorrow there will be plenty of speculation around here.

esoxx
01-18-2010, 07:23 PM
McDaniels is out of control.

Nice mess in Denver. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving franchise.

denverYooper
01-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Maybe they'll want to trade Dumervil to GB for some picks.

pbmax
01-18-2010, 08:36 PM
But first we get Joe Thomas. :D

ThunderDan
01-18-2010, 08:44 PM
But first we get Joe Thomas. :D

We can't get them both and give up that many draft picks. You know TT won't give away draft picks to get a player or trade up/ :lol:

KYPack
01-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Thought maybe this was the one year anniversary of the thread.

denverYooper
01-18-2010, 10:31 PM

Nah, just the annual loss of a Broncos DC.

People 'round these parts criticized Shanny for late season meltdowns his last few years and for the annual turnover at DC. Granted, this is a resignation and not a firing, but, erm...

Meet the new boss,
same as the old boss?

Fritz
01-19-2010, 05:48 PM
After that hot, hot start, Denver cooled off, way off, and it looks like the mess it originally started out to be.

There were a few folks who were cranky early in the season because Denver was, what, 6 - 0, and the Packers were floundering. Some second guessing about not having Nolan here.

Well, he's available now. Anybody want him here in GB?

Bretsky
01-19-2010, 08:37 PM
After that hot, hot start, Denver cooled off, way off, and it looks like the mess it originally started out to be.

There were a few folks who were cranky early in the season because Denver was, what, 6 - 0, and the Packers were floundering. Some second guessing about not having Nolan here.

Well, he's available now. Anybody want him here in GB?

Let's not ask Wist

Sparkey
01-21-2010, 08:14 AM

Nah, just the annual loss of a Broncos DC.

People 'round these parts criticized Shanny for late season meltdowns his last few years and for the annual turnover at DC. Granted, this is a resignation and not a firing, but, erm...

Meet the new boss,
same as the old boss?

Wont get fooled again! The WHO would be proud! 8-) :lol:

Fritz
01-21-2010, 12:18 PM
No groundswell of support for Nolan?

Wonder where he will end up.

Could he coach special teams, maybe?

But that'd be like hiring an iron chef to bus dishes, though Nolan is admittedly not the greatest iron chef. Still.

KYPack
01-21-2010, 12:21 PM
No groundswell of support for Nolan?

Wonder where he will end up.

Could he coach special teams, maybe?

But that'd be like hiring an iron chef to bus dishes, though Nolan is admittedly not the greatest iron chef. Still.

He's the DC for the Dolphins.

Bill P scarfed him up the next day after the Beaver released him.

Fritz
01-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Wow, He didn't last long.

I'm getting old. I remember when Dick Nolan was coaching the Niners.