PDA

View Full Version : Solid FA's comming out...

packers11
01-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Maybe Ted could shore up the D-Line in FA ... And focus on other things in the draft...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/fa/dl.html

Albert Haynesworth, UFA, Tennessee Titans

Bertrand Berry, UFA, Arizona Cardinals

Jonathan Babineaux, UFA, Atlanta Falcons

Tank Johnson, UFA, Dallas Cowboys

Any of these 4 players would be major upgrades... Also there is a lot of good linebackers coming out (Upgrade over Poppy)...

Realistically which DL and or LB would you like to see???

At D-line : Haynesworth is obviously my top choice, and at linebacker I love how Karlos Dansby plays... But I doubt we go after a linebacker in free agency for the fact that Pop as a huge contract and we also have Chillar...

Pack-man
01-12-2009, 12:19 PM
What about Julius Peppers?
He'd be my choice for the DL. I'd like either Karlos Dansby or Terrell Suggs at LB.

Rastak
01-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Haynesworth will want to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. I think Peppers will get franchised or signed before free agency. I think they'll cut Delhomme, then franchise Gross or Peppers and make sure they sign the one they don't franchise.

sheepshead
01-12-2009, 01:22 PM
comming(sp) out of where?

cheesner
01-12-2009, 02:13 PM
I am thinking TT could target the DT from Seattle.

The reasons I think TT would go for Bernard is that he was drafted by TT when he was with Seattle. He is a 2nd tier signing, and I think Bernard is a better player than given credit for. His problem is just playing for a poor team - surround him with better players and he may do even better.

On the negative side, TT appears to value youth, and I believe he would look at FAs coming off of their rookie contracts and not a 7 year vet.s

bobblehead
01-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Maybe Ted could shore up the D-Line in FA ... And focus on other things in the draft...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/fa/dl.html

Albert Haynesworth, UFA, Tennessee Titans

Bertrand Berry, UFA, Arizona Cardinals

Jonathan Babineaux, UFA, Atlanta Falcons

Tank Johnson, UFA, Dallas Cowboys

Any of these 4 players would be major upgrades... Also there is a lot of good linebackers coming out (Upgrade over Poppy)...

Realistically which DL and or LB would you like to see???

At D-line : Haynesworth is obviously my top choice, and at linebacker I love how Karlos Dansby plays... But I doubt we go after a linebacker in free agency for the fact that Pop as a huge contract and we also have Chillar...

Pop has an average salary for a starter, no more. I don't want to draft a LB at 9, I want DL help or a future LT.

As for the DL, I'll pay anything albert wants, or I'll sign anyone decent for a fair contract. I would also pay huge money for peppers should he hit the market. Pass rush is the most important thing to a defense so paying really big money for haynesworth or peppers is worth it. Drafting a complete DL if one slips to 9 is also very worth it.

Good LB's come from all over the draft, sort of like RB's. Its the parcells planet theory, Big athletes are hard to come by, smaller athletes, not so much. IF we pick anything other than a DL or LT at 9 I'll be disappointed...except maybe a good punter, we need on of those.

Spaulding
01-12-2009, 04:14 PM
I am thinking TT could target the DT from Seattle.

The reasons I think TT would go for Bernard is that he was drafted by TT when he was with Seattle. He is a 2nd tier signing, and I think Bernard is a better player than given credit for. His problem is just playing for a poor team - surround him with better players and he may do even better.

On the negative side, TT appears to value youth, and I believe he would look at FAs coming off of their rookie contracts and not a 7 year vet.s

Going with the last statement, was wondering the thoughts on Shaun Cody of the Lions. He's up for FA, seemed to progress as a DT and has some pedigree having played at USC and was the #37 overall draft choice of 2005.

I watched him a bit in the final game and thought he was decent. Given the time it usually takes DT's to make an impact am wondering if he's on the cusp of being a better DT and could be had for a reasonable price.

Then again is he another Colin Cole destined for career mediocrity?

rbaloha1
01-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Any one of these guys is better than Colin Cole and MM.

mission
01-12-2009, 04:38 PM

We coulda used a CC if only for depth purposes this year ... I'd LOVE a stud pickup, a FA backup and bring in a top draft pick on the line. put the pressure on guys and see who steps up... cut the rest.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-12-2009, 04:51 PM

We coulda used a CC if only for depth purposes this year ... I'd LOVE a stud pickup, a FA backup and bring in a top draft pick on the line. put the pressure on guys and see who steps up... cut the rest.

Agreed, a second tier DL would still be a valuable addition to the Packers defense. I would love to see a huge pickup, but the odds of that happening are slim.

Dabaddestbear
01-12-2009, 05:25 PM
For the money, Bertrand Berry will be the surprise of this bunch.

packers11
01-12-2009, 06:30 PM
I thought I read an article saying how Colin Cole rejected a 9 mill for 3 years contract extension ... He obviously thinks the market will give him more :roll:

Hopefully if T.T. doesn't give a top tier FA D-Tackle he gets a good rotational player...