PDA

View Full Version : Moss to Raiders

KYPack
01-13-2009, 09:51 AM
Guess you have to take the big job anywhere you can get one, but sheesh, Winston, the Raiders?

Moss said Davis contacted him to interview for a job that's been open since the season ended Dec. 28. If Moss isn't hired as head coach, he is open to becoming the defensive coordinator.

"I want to help them win as many games as they could," Moss said. "As a former player, having a chance to come up and lead a football team as a head coach or in whatever capacity Mr. Davis feels would help the team, I'd be interested."

That would be funny if Moss left the Pack. He was the only defensive coach to survive MM's purge of the defense. That means if Moss took the job with the Silver and Black, McCarthy would have to get a new DC and a new stooge.

packinpatland
01-13-2009, 09:55 AM
For half a second, I thought Randy was headed west again!

Patler
01-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Guess you have to take the big job anywhere you can get one, but sheesh, Winston, the Raiders?

Moss said Davis contacted him to interview for a job that's been open since the season ended Dec. 28. If Moss isn't hired as head coach, he is open to becoming the defensive coordinator.

"I want to help them win as many games as they could," Moss said. "As a former player, having a chance to come up and lead a football team as a head coach or in whatever capacity Mr. Davis feels would help the team, I'd be interested."

That would be funny if Moss left the Pack. He was the only defensive coach to survive MM's purge of the defense. That means if Moss took the job with the Silver and Black, McCarthy would have to get a new DC and a new stooge.

There was an article today that said MM has refused to allow the Raiders to consider Moss for the DC job, only the HC position. He can do that since Moss is the Assistant HC. On the other hand, that would be a nasty thing to do, since the Packers have a DC opening, apparently won't hire him for it, and many seem to agree that Moss should be a coordinator before he becomes an HC.

vince
01-13-2009, 10:14 AM

There was an article today that said MM has refused to allow the Raiders to consider Moss for the DC job, only the HC position. He can do that since Moss is the Assistant HC. On the other hand, that would be a nasty thing to do, since the Packers have a DC opening, apparently won't hire him for it, and many seem to agree that Moss should be a coordinator before he becomes an HC.
Do you remember where you read that Patler? I agree and that would surprise me a bit from McCarthy/Thompson. They often talk about being fair to people, although it's always been with players. They have often made decisions to release veterans as early as possible in the hopes they can catch on with another team, etc. This would seem out of character to me.

sharpe1027
01-13-2009, 10:23 AM
If the Raiders want him, maybe we should let him go...Whatever they do, do exactly the opposite. :wink:

Patler
01-13-2009, 10:30 AM

Do you remember where you read that Patler? I agree and that would surprise me a bit from McCarthy/Thompson. They often talk about being fair to people, although it's always been with players. They have often made decisions to release veterans as early as possible in the hopes they can catch on with another team, etc. This would seem out of character to me.

I read it in a National Football Post article. I read about a dozen on that site this morning, since I had not looked at it in a couple weeks. I can't find the exact one right now, but the Milwaukee Journal also made referece to it in one of their articles:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37479744.html

According to nationalfootballpost.com, the Raiders' initial attempt to interview Moss for defensive coordinator was rejected by the Packers. But teams cannot prevent coaches from head-coach interviews regardless of their contractual status.

Patler
01-13-2009, 10:34 AM
If the Raiders want him, maybe we should let him go...Whatever they do, do exactly the opposite. :wink:

I agree, but not because its the Raiders, just because its right:

Moss himself thinks he needs a coordinators job before an HC job.
The Packers have an HC opening.
If they won't hire him for it, they should let him go to someone who will.

After all, what really is an Assistant HC in this situation? How hard would it be to replace what he does?

sharpe1027
01-13-2009, 10:47 AM

I agree, but not because its the Raiders, just because its right:

Moss himself thinks he needs a coordinators job before an HC job.
The Packers have an HC opening.
If they won't hire him for it, they should let him go to someone who will.

After all, what really is an Assistant HC in this situation? How hard would it be to replace what he does?

True, besides how wise is it to keep a guy after you screw him over? Do you really want to force someone to work with you even when they are really pissed off at you?

MacCool606
01-13-2009, 10:50 AM
If Moss is really on "the List" to be our DC, the Raiders supposed interest may expedite MM's decidsion. (Although there is no evidence of the Raiders being interested - only Moss expressing his interest.)

Fritz
01-13-2009, 12:06 PM
What if MM is keeping Moss around as his fallback hire in case he can't hire the DC he really wants (whoever that might be)?

swede
01-13-2009, 12:17 PM
I'd be really surprised if GB doesn't do the right thing and let Moss interview for DC.

Given the talk about dissension in the coaching ranks MM needs to give careful consideration to actively creating an open, supportive, and collaborative environment in those coaching offices. Screwing with Moss is a bad way to get this off-season started. I hope this stuff is just garbage floated by sports journalists in order to write something about something just to meet their deadlines.

Brando19
01-13-2009, 04:57 PM
I guess Moss believes if he takes the DC job for the Raiders...he has a good chance of being their head coach a few weeks into the season seeing how Davis has no idea what he's doing and fires coaches like it's nothing. Hell...Moss may even take the linebackers coaching job with the Raiders and he STILL may have a chance of landing the HC job sometime this season. :lol:
Oakland is a whacky place with Al Davis there.