PDA

View Full Version : Crabtree declares--Should the Packers consider moving up?

rbaloha1
01-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Your thoughts Packer Nation.

HarveyWallbangers
01-13-2009, 05:20 PM

Trade up to get a WR? Negative.

Charles Woodson
01-13-2009, 05:24 PM
No, if he even fell i would prob use the spot to trade down... were fine at WR and the way that TT keeps finding guys in the later rounds makes me confident. We have too many other needs at the lines, which is where the games are won to use this pick for something else

Brando19
01-13-2009, 05:35 PM
I am neutral...if the Packers draft him at number 9...I would be fine with it. If the Packers don't draft him or even trade down to a team that does...I would be fine with it. The only thing that would piss me off is if TT traded up to get this guy. That would be stupid.

Freak Out
01-13-2009, 05:42 PM
That's a big negative rubber duck.

bbbffl66
01-13-2009, 05:52 PM
As good as he is, there are too many other needs. This is one time I'd back TT for trading down.

Rastak
01-13-2009, 05:52 PM

Heyyyy, is this Matt Milen?

red
01-13-2009, 06:13 PM
NO

crabtree would be a perfect fit for this team

but if TT trades up, or even takes a WR anywhere near the first day, i will personally drive down to green bay and shoot his dog, or cat, or fish, or whatever the hell he has

Lurker64
01-13-2009, 06:16 PM
No. There's nobody in this draft worth trading up for. It's good in the middle, but weak at the top.

Rastak
01-13-2009, 06:21 PM

Heyyyy, is this Matt Millen?

red
01-13-2009, 06:23 PM
time to get rid of the troll

he's going around calling good packer fans very bad names

The Shadow
01-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Another receiver?
No, of course not.

Partial
01-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Knowing TT's infatuation with receivers... :lol:

Never should have taken one last year let alone this year.

Sparkey
01-13-2009, 07:26 PM

Detroit Lions 2.0 ? I think not.

red
01-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Knowing TT's infatuation with receivers... :lol:

Never should have taken one last year let alone this year.

agreed

i like jordy and think he'll be very good, but i still think that was a bad move drafting him

Fritz
01-13-2009, 08:44 PM
I am neutral...if the Packers draft him at number 9...I would be fine with it. If the Packers don't draft him or even trade down to a team that does...I would be fine with it. The only thing that would piss me off is if TT traded up to get this guy. That would be stupid.

I'm kinda with you on this one.

rbaloha1
01-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Currently how many players that may be available are worthy of the #9 pick?

BooHoo
01-13-2009, 09:31 PM
TT wouldn't trade up if his life depended on it. Better chance of trading down.

Zool
01-13-2009, 11:24 PM

(shaking magic 8ball) ask again in 4 years.

Lurker64
01-14-2009, 12:12 AM

At least nine, which is convenient.

sheepshead
01-14-2009, 07:34 AM
I hate the first round, get out now TT.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-14-2009, 08:21 AM
You must get some good grass in hawaii rbaloha. To think the Packers would ever even consider picking Crabtree at # 9 is foolish, or you're just really really stoned. The Packers have too many other needs at positions in which there will be good players when they pick. As many have already pointed out, we don't have Matt Millen as team president.

Zool
01-14-2009, 08:24 AM
You must get some good grass in hawaii rbaloha. To think the Packers would ever even consider picking Crabtree at # 9 is foolish, or you're just really really stoned. The Packers have too many other needs at positions in which there will be good players when they pick. As many have already pointed out, we don't have Matt Millen as team president.

Well I guess we're getting Crabtree then.

wist43
01-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Actually, I could see that pick...

DD is on the downside, and Nelson and Jones are both #2/3 WR's, at least at this point... don't see stardom in their future.

The Packers have holes all over the place, so it doesn't really matter where the 1st pick goes... although, I'm with most of you as I would prefer to see the pick be on defense or OT.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Well even with my initial skepticisim, the fact remains Crabtree still has to make it past Seattle and Oakland. Two teams who have very glaring needs at WR. Oaklands #1 reciever last year after the Walker bust? Ronald Curry. Seattle's WR corps could easily be on par with the 2005 Packer class where we started such gems as Taco Wallace.

DonHutson
01-14-2009, 09:42 AM
No way Crabtree falls to #9. No reason to move up for anyone, as it would appear that several players who fit our needs should be available right where we are.

rbaloha1
01-14-2009, 09:50 AM

Only posed the question. No Maui wowie here.

Crabtree is a big time difference maker similar to Fitzgerald. Given that the draft is light on big time playmakers and the Packers have 4 picks in the top 100 is it a good move to attempt to acquire Crabtree?

Again, what players likely to be available at #9 warrant the pick?

Maybe trading down is the best course of action.

rbaloha1
01-14-2009, 09:52 AM
No way Crabtree falls to #9. No reason to move up for anyone, as it would appear that several players who fit our needs should be available right where we are.

Agreed. Who are the several players?

rbaloha1
01-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Well even with my initial skepticisim, the fact remains Crabtree still has to make it past Seattle and Oakland. Two teams who have very glaring needs at WR. Oaklands #1 reciever last year after the Walker bust? Ronald Curry. Seattle's WR corps could easily be on par with the 2005 Packer class where we started such gems as Taco Wallace.

This is why the question is posed. Crabtree more than likely is unavailable at #9.

rbaloha1
01-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Actually, I could see that pick...

DD is on the downside, and Nelson and Jones are both #2/3 WR's, at least at this point... don't see stardom in their future.

The Packers have holes all over the place, so it doesn't really matter where the 1st pick goes... although, I'm with most of you as I would prefer to see the pick be on defense or OT.

Which defensive player or OT most likely to be a #9 pick deserve to be picked at #9. Please suggest names.

run pMc
01-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Crabtree won't make it to #9. FWIW, some mock drafts have him as the top pick.

It's highly doubtful that TT would move up for a WR. Assuming he gets his extension, Jennings is the future #1, leaving Jordy and JJ fighting for the #2 spot.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if TT trades down 3-4 places to pickup an extra pick. I think we all agree there are more than 1 or 2 spots that need upgrading. Besides, the new DC could have a significantly different philosophy, and TT would need to draft some players who are better fits for the defense than what's on the roster.

Pugger
01-14-2009, 10:33 AM
Even if TT wanted to move up, what team would want to trade with him? I think he'll stay at his spot unless some gives him an offer he can't refuse on draft day.

I had no problem with TT drafting Nelson. I think he is a good player and in the end we needed him with Jones and Martin missing so many games.

DonHutson
01-14-2009, 12:32 PM

Rather than list them all, take a look at the draft thread (With the #9 pick...). Lots of names in there. Just because one guy is getting touted as a 'sure thing' doesn't mean there aren't other good players available.

Fritz
01-14-2009, 03:12 PM
If there is a good offensive tackle available - a really good tackle - that'd work.

A defensive tackle, too, of course.

If there's a guy you think is going to be an instant starter/soon-to-be stud linebacker, that'd be good.

A defensive end is fine if he's of the every down variety.

If a manically gifted corner or safety drops to #9, well, okay.

A trade down is fine by me, too.

I'd be weirded out if TT too a quarterback, I suppose. I'd be a little weirded out if he took a running back. Or a tight end.

Pack-man
01-14-2009, 03:54 PM
No way does TT trade up for anyone. No way you take Crabtree at 9. The pick has to be defensive. I wouldn't be surprise dif he moves down to gain a pick or 2.

rbaloha1
01-14-2009, 06:14 PM

Rather than list them all, take a look at the draft thread (With the #9 pick...). Lots of names in there. Just because one guy is getting touted as a 'sure thing' doesn't mean there aren't other good players available.

My intent is asking for your opinion on which player should be selected that is most likely to be available. Maybe a trade down is prudent since the available players are unworthy of a #9 selection.

DonHutson
01-14-2009, 07:13 PM

My intent is asking for your opinion on which player should be selected that is most likely to be available. Maybe a trade down is prudent since the available players are unworthy of a #9 selection.

Aaron Curry and Malcolm Jenkins would be best case scenarios, but I doubt they make it past #5 or 6. So I like the two athletic LT's Eugene Monroe from Virginia or Jason Smith from Baylor. Both would be excellent fits for the system at a position of need (perhaps not immediate need, but in the near future). I would be OK with Micheal Oher from Ole Miss. He's a bit more of a gamble, a less obvious fit for the system, and he might be best suited for RT. If forced to make a prediction at this point, I think Smith could be the guy.

I wouldn't complain too much about a trade down, depending on the circumstances, considering three guys I would've been happy with have inexplicably gone back to school (McCoy, Mays, Gresham). Seriously, who ever heard of a Sooner football player staying in school? After you sign that contract you can buy baskets. You don't need to stay for the basketweaving class! Boggles the mind.

Anyway, I'd rather settle for a one-dimensional pass rusher like Everette Brown or Brian Orakpo than spend a 2nd rounder to move up a few spots. That's just me.