PDA

View Full Version : Haslet

Bub
01-13-2009, 07:53 PM
What do ya'll think about Haslett? Looks like he has been in town for a few days.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

Brando19
01-13-2009, 07:57 PM
I was listening to Sirius NFL radio today and a caller called in about the Packers Defense. The hosts told him if we want an aggressive defense...Haslett is the man we need.

rbaloha1
01-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Great. May have a better personality than Williams.

vince
01-13-2009, 08:04 PM
I'd be down with Haslet - or Williams - or a number of addtional possibilities.

Bub
01-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Haslett's resume doesn't look very impressive. His defensives in Stl were pretty weak and the ones in New Orleans weren't all that impressive.

mission
01-13-2009, 08:28 PM
I'd be down with Haslet - or Williams - or a number of addtional possibilities.

Same ... I've been pretty vocal about a lot of stuff around here, but it seems like there's a lot of "DC talent" out there that would be an upgrade (or at least change of pace) and satisfy most rats.

Farley Face
01-13-2009, 08:28 PM
What do ya'll think about Haslett? Looks like he has been in town for a few days.

I would endorse it. I thought he and MM left on uneasy terms in NO so I hadn't seriously considered him, but if he has formally interviewed he just moved up the charts. I like him.

I want the best guy period, but I've decided my preference would be a guy with DC experience. Haslett, Williams, McGinnis, et al. Add Capers and Lewis if the transition to a 3-4 wouldn't be a start from scratch deal. I don't think it would necessarily have to be. Just a preference, no absolutes.

I think TT is having more of a say on who the eventual replacement is than they let on, just my gut. He played for Bum. Does anyone remember what type of D he preferred. 3-4 or 4-3, blitz no blitz, bend don't break or aggressive?

Can't recall the source but I actually saw Chuck Cecil on a list of potential replacements for Sanders. I guess he got a reckless driving citation or something last year that is holding him back for now.

Fritz
01-13-2009, 08:29 PM
I suppose one way some are looking at this is that even a mediocre coordinator might be an upgrade.

ND72
01-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Haslett's resume doesn't look very impressive. His defensives in Stl were pretty weak and the ones in New Orleans weren't all that impressive.

St. Louis is an overall HORRIBLE team...do you really expect him to have the #1 defense? He was a largely respected DC before he took over in New Orleans.

Fritz
01-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Other thoughts about Haslet's resume as a D-coordinator? I don't know anything about the guy, except the word was he and MM didn't have a great working relationship, whatever that is.

Bretsky
01-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Other thoughts about Haslet's resume as a D-coordinator? I don't know anything about the guy, except the word was he and MM didn't have a great working relationship, whatever that is.

He's be alright; way better than Winston Moss

Winston Moss was promoted by Haslett in NO

If MM is trying to keep inner piece he might be a hire Moss is fine with

Of course one might argue this really shouldn't matter much

Fritz
01-13-2009, 08:51 PM

He's be alright; way better than Winston Moss

Winston Moss was promoted by Haslett in NO

If MM is trying to keep inner piece he might be a hire Moss is fine with

Of course one might argue this really shouldn't matter much

Based on the pose in our avatar, I think the bikini girls are trying to keep an inner piece.

BTW, Bum Phillips was, I think, a 3-4 guy. I might be wrong, but I have a hazy memory of that.

Bub
01-13-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm not really sure what Haslett did before his N.O. days. All I've seen is how he's done in NO and Stl.

Farley Face
01-13-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm not really sure what Haslett did before his N.O. days. All I've seen is how he's done in NO and Stl.

http://www.stlouisrams.com/Team/Coaches/52977/

He was the Pitt DC prior to NO.

Joemailman
01-13-2009, 09:43 PM

Haslett got the HC job in New Orleans largely on the strength of his work as DC in Pittsburgh. They finished 6th, 11th and 12th (not necessarily in that order) during his 3 years in Pittsburgh.

Farley Face
01-13-2009, 09:47 PM

http://www.stlouisrams.com/Team/Coaches/52977/

He was the Pitt DC prior to NO.

More:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090113/PKR01/90113190/1058

pbmax
01-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Mike Lombardi at National Football Post takes this one on the chin as he felt that there was no way McCarthy would want Haslett after Haslett "fired" him from New Orleans. So much for that. I can read PFW "The Way We Hear It" if I want to read retread information that is both out of date and inaccurate to save time.

Also, Todd Bowles, the Parcells disciple in Miami, interviewed today in Detroit for the Head Coach position. He revealed afterward that he is also up for an interview in St. Louis, even though his name hasn't been published among the list of fine finalists.

pbmax
01-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Haslett also has a background with Jim Mora in New Orleans, one year as LB coach and the next as DC. Mora was released and Haslett went to Pittsburgh.

SkinBasket
01-15-2009, 05:31 AM
Not that it's much of a source, but Tim VanHorn or Pippens or one of those Fox6 queers said it's Haslett's job if he doesn't get the STL HC position. They didn't really say why they came to that conclusion, so I'm not terribly convinced.

HarveyWallbangers
01-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Haslett told he's out of running for Rams job

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/37673574.html

rbaloha1
01-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Complete Rams staff fired.

Time to lock up Haslett and start preparing for the Senior Bowl and combine.

green_bowl_packer
01-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Mike Lombardi at National Football Post takes this one on the chin as he felt that there was no way McCarthy would want Haslett after Haslett "fired" him from New Orleans. So much for that. I can read PFW "The Way We Hear It" if I want to read retread information that is both out of date and inaccurate to save time.

Also, Todd Bowles, the Parcells disciple in Miami, interviewed today in Detroit for the Head Coach position. He revealed afterward that he is also up for an interview in St. Louis, even though his name hasn't been published among the list of fine finalists.

Didn't McCarthy leave NO for SF with Nolan? National Football Post is getting ripped at PFT for botching the OU QB Sam Bradford coming out - they said he was for sure (he staid) and that was out of the Lombardi column as well.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/15/nfp-covers-up-bradford-blunder/

Partial
01-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Todd Bowles is a funny name. Sort of like Turd Ferguson.

Badgerinmaine
01-15-2009, 07:48 PM
I think Haslett would be a fine choice. In addition to all the rest of the discussion here, I was impressed with his grace under fire coaching the Saints during the Katrina disaster season.

Fritz
01-15-2009, 08:04 PM
I don't know much about him. It'd be...different, right?

SkinBasket
01-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Sort of like Turd Ferguson.

Don't you even utter that name you dirty son of a bitch.

pbmax
01-15-2009, 09:29 PM

Didn't McCarthy leave NO for SF with Nolan? National Football Post is getting ripped at PFT for botching the OU QB Sam Bradford coming out - they said he was for sure (he staid) and that was out of the Lombardi column as well.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/15/nfp-covers-up-bradford-blunder/
Well, the Bradford stuff might just be Florio and Brandt jockeying for position over the go to rumor web site. Brandt's stuff is not as rumor reliant, but Lombardi is the guy trafficking in new information.

McCarthy left after his contract was up. Its never been fully explained, but it sounds like a mutual parting of ways. Given that Haslet only lasted one more year, McCarthy might have seen the writing on the wall.

Haslett has run both 3-4 and 4-3.

Zool
01-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Another story out of NO was that McCarthy and Brooks butted heads. Mac left and Brooks had his worst year ever.

HarveyWallbangers
01-16-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm indifferent on Haslett--just like I was with Williams and Nolan. Nolan did well with good personnel. He did poorly with bad personnel. Overall, he had more good personnel than bad. Similar thing with Williams. I'd argue that Haslett was cursed with some of the worse defensive personnel you could have in New Orleans and St. Louis, and they didn't do well. He had good personnel in Pittsburgh, and they did well. To me, these guys all seem similar. I don't think Bob Sanders was horrible, but I was turned off by his inability or unwillingness to change the scheme up when it was apparent that the personnel (because of injuries) no longer fit his scheme. Not sure it would have helped, but it would have been nice. You can't have a system where you have a scheme and you try to make it fit. I'd rather have a guy who can adjust to his personnel.

pack4to84
01-16-2009, 10:56 AM

Haslett is not better then what we had in Sanders. Haslett has not had a defense rank in the top 10 since 2000.

Sanders defense points avg ranking 17.7
Haslett defense points avg ranking 19.9

Sanders defense yard ranking avg 14.3
Haslett defense yard ranking avg 17.9

So with this info we would be taking a step back if the Packers hire Haslett

HarveyWallbangers
01-16-2009, 11:03 AM

Haslett is not better then what we had in Sanders. Haslett has not had a defense rank in the top 10 since 2000.

He didn't have a ton of talent to work with in New Orleans and St. Louis.

rbaloha1
01-16-2009, 11:09 AM

Everything can not be measured by stats. The Packers turnover ratio and point differential were indicative of a playoff team.

Defensive stats do not account for offensive and special team performance which may cause defenses placed in poor field position.

IMO the the Packers have better overall defensive talent. Missed gap assignments, miscommunication and the lack of blitzing contributed to poor defensive play during critical times.

Sanders was a newbie and needs to be replaced. At this point anyone is an upgrade certainly Haslett.

The window is closing -- lock up Haslett and move forward already.