PDA

View Full Version : And One Hire Will Trigger Them All...

Fritz
01-13-2009, 08:28 PM
As the post season wears on and as some openings are filled (Mangini in Cleveland) and new openings emerge (Kansas City), it strikes me that the Packers' defensive coordinator position will possibly be dependent upon a kind of domino effect that may well occur as soon as say, Baltimore and Philly are out of the picture.

Doesn't it seem like once guys like McDermott and Rex Ryan are out on the market, one hire will begin a domino effect that will determine who really is available? For example, Haslett has apparently been in Green Bay...but if he's retained by the Rams, he's not going to be in GB. And if Rex Ryan Jim Schwartz is hired in Detroit, then Greg Williams looks to be going to Tennesee, and thus will be out for the Pack (by the way, I'm losing interest in Williams - he seems to be playing the Packers in order to get a bigger offer elsewhere. He doesn't seem all that interested in coming to Green Bay, though that's just perception.

red
01-13-2009, 08:30 PM
so we're the last domino to fall right?

yuck

Lurker64
01-13-2009, 08:33 PM
so we're the last domino to fall right?

yuck

Well, we're not going to have priority over the teams that are hiring a head coach, since nobody's going to take a coordinator job when he could get a head coaching job a week later. Plus, we wouldn't want to hire a DC that might get hired to a HC job a week later, would we?

Fritz
01-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Exactly. We seem to be interested in lots of guys who maybe might be head coaches, so we're in a holding pattern. Or, like the Williams situation, we seem to be a second choice.

Somehow, I'm okay with it all so far, though.

Bretsky
01-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Exactly. We seem to be interested in lots of guys who maybe might be head coaches, so we're in a holding pattern. Or, like the Williams situation, we seem to be a second choice.

Somehow, I'm okay with it all so far, though.

Denver aggressively got their guy

If we even figure out who the hell ours is here's a TOAST to hoping we move quickly :!:

Fritz
01-13-2009, 08:40 PM
I just wasn't a Nolan fan, Bretsky. They can have that guy. I think he's kinda just okay. Had MM hired him, to me, it would've smacked of cronyism and desperation.

Bretsky
01-13-2009, 08:43 PM
I just wasn't a Nolan fan, Bretsky. They can have that guy. I think he's kinda just okay. Had MM hired him, to me, it would've smacked of cronyism and desperation.

I know; from the start you were not in his corner. I was surprised when you'd consider Herm when he's actually a worse fit IMO.

Anyways, my views from the start were Nolan or Williams were the top two dogs

I'd probably put Haslett and McGinnis slightly behind them

ND is probably right though; by the time this is all done most of us will probably never have heard of the DC we hire

Fritz
01-13-2009, 08:49 PM
I only asked about Herm Edwards because frankly I have only a vague memory of him as some kind of defensive guru but I have no idea what he ran.

I'm just not sure why it's so important to get someone right away. What if the guy you really want is still coaching? Why do you feel like GB needs to hire someone yesterday?

Heck, Houston hired a guy pretty quickly - a guy who was on staff last year for a team whose defense was as bad as GB's. So in my book, fast isn't necessarily good.

And as I said somewhere, to me Williams doesn't really seem to want to be here. He seems to be stringing everyone (ie Packers and Saints) along until he finds out whether he can go back to Tennesee.

So I'm not in that big a hurry. The Packers will find someone better than Sanders. I have a feeling - and it's just that, a feeling - that they have a guy in mind, but he's still coaching.

Bretsky
01-13-2009, 08:56 PM
I only asked about Herm Edwards because frankly I have only a vague memory of him as some kind of defensive guru but I have no idea what he ran.

I'm just not sure why it's so important to get someone right away. What if the guy you really want is still coaching? Why do you feel like GB needs to hire someone yesterday?

Heck, Houston hired a guy pretty quickly - a guy who was on staff last year for a team whose defense was as bad as GB's. So in my book, fast isn't necessarily good.

And as I said somewhere, to me Williams doesn't really seem to want to be here. He seems to be stringing everyone (ie Packers and Saints) along until he finds out whether he can go back to Tennesee.

So I'm not in that big a hurry. The Packers will find someone better than Sanders. I have a feeling - and it's just that, a feeling - that they have a guy in mind, but he's still coaching.

That Houston hire would be painful if I was a fan; like hiring Moss right now
I'm an impatient schmuck.........opinionated and wrong way too often. So of course I pick out my favorites early and hope GB moves swiftly. MM and TT don't seem like the type of guys who could sell a free agent or coach to come here; I wonder if they made much of an effort with Williams or if they really didn't care to.

You are right; either way we should have somebody better than VB

The Shadow
01-13-2009, 08:59 PM

I agree.

The Leaper
01-13-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm glad Nolan passes on GB...not a big fan of his.

The longer this takes, the more likely the Packers are seriously considering some guys whose teams are still in the playoffs...which makes me happy, because the Eagles, Steelers and Ravens all have sound coaching staffs that will produce good prospects.

pbmax
01-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Herm was secondary coach and Asst HC, I think, for Dungy in Tampa. His background was Schottenheimer, I think, but he ran the Tampa 2 with Tony.

I have no earthly idea what he ran in New York or KC. I only remember "You play to win the game"! :lol:

Fritz
01-16-2009, 07:35 AM
It seems my original thesis of this post was wrong. Lions got their guy but Williams went to New Orleans. That did not trigger a hiring frenzy and seems not to have triggered the Pack's making a move.

The longer this goes, the more it seems to come down to MM waiting for Moss to be ruled out of the Oakland job OR there's someone still coaching that he wants, OR that he just doesn't have a favorite and is interviewing lots of folks and thinking it over.

Bretsky
01-16-2009, 07:46 AM
It seems my original thesis of this post was wrong. Lions got their guy but Williams went to New Orleans. That did not trigger a hiring frenzy and seems not to have triggered the Pack's making a move.

The longer this goes, the more it seems to come down to MM waiting for Moss to be ruled out of the Oakland job OR there's someone still coaching that he wants, OR that he just doesn't have a favorite and is interviewing lots of folks and thinking it over.

MM took his dam time before hiring Vanilla Bob; it made me sick then.
He's dragging his feet on this one too. Hopefully he is enamoured with somebody still coaching I guess. The Saints went and got their guy. Ditto for Denver. My gut tells me MM is a waffler and if he would have shown Williams some love he'd be the Packer DC. Of course, who knows what is really true

I don't really have a favorite candidate anymore; just a least favorite one

Fritz
01-16-2009, 08:03 AM

MM took his dam time before hiring Vanilla Bob; it made me sick then.
He's dragging his feet on this one too. Hopefully he is enamoured with somebody still coaching I guess. The Saints went and got their guy. Ditto for Denver. My gut tells me MM is a waffler and if he would have shown Williams some love he'd be the Packer DC. Of course, who knows what is really true

I don't really have a favorite candidate anymore; just a least favorite one

Just remember how happy you were that Vanilla Bob was gone, Bretsky.