PDA

View Full Version : Happy Anniversary - One Year Ago Today

sheepshead
01-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Think of where you were tonight about 9:00 pm cst.

Correction:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/heymike0308/favre5.jpg

Pacopete4
01-14-2009, 07:45 AM

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/heymike0308/2218951294_1523dffcbf_b.jpg

I only wish we were preparing for the NFC championship game.. Thanks TT/MM :cry:

POLISHHAWK
01-14-2009, 08:32 AM
Ya; I miss those Favre Picks to end games.

Especially in big games!

Guess I gotta watch Jets games to get that same Euphoria.

Stevogbfan
01-14-2009, 08:52 AM

I only wish we were preparing for the NFC championship game.. Thanks TT/MM :cry:

that don't look like tt or mm on the field there making the bad call with the ball, get off tt and mm, they don't play

Spaulding
01-14-2009, 09:01 AM
True Favre made a bad decision. True this year he lead the league in INT's and tailed off at the end of the year.

Likely True - we don't even get to the Championship game without Favre's improved 2007 play and leadership.

Hard to say what last year's season would have been with Rodgers at the helm but the betting man in me says definitely not as good as 13-3.

I think the point by Paco (who I usually disagree with) is that both failed the team this year and led to the weak season. I lean to MM being at fault as I think TT fielded good players (he does have some fault though for the DL play and lack of depth) but that McCarthy failed to get his defensive coaching staff to adjust based on injuries and bad schemes to seal the games at the end.

Sheepshead, I get the point about the bad play but why beat a dead horse? The weather sucks enough here to then also be reminded about how close we were to the Superbowl at this time last year.

sheepshead
01-14-2009, 09:05 AM
oh, just noticed the date and was getting nostalgic.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-14-2009, 09:07 AM

Leaving my friend's house in disgust :( I hate this picture, it almost stings as badly as the 6 int game against Stl and the Denver SB where our Dline was swiss cheese.

PlantPage55
01-14-2009, 09:45 AM
Thinking: wow, Greg Jennings was open there.

I still think it was an okay decision, despite the fact that really EVERYBODY else was open. But it was a bad pass. He didn't lead Driver enough to throw it where ONLY Driver had a chance to catch it.

Pacopete4
01-14-2009, 09:59 AM
poor throw but why doesn't someone throw up the pic where the ball is just leaving Brett's hand and you would see Lee no where near where he is in that pic, and Jennings and Driver running side by side with a dback. It's a timing route, the better WR got open more and it was an underthrown ball to Driver in the bitter cold.. Play probably should have never been called in the first place but you are a complete idiot if you think you can freeze a play and start saying other people were open on timing routes.. It's called anticipation.

Pugger
01-14-2009, 10:22 AM
A year ago today I was celebrating my B-day (but the Pack didn't give me a very good present, did they?). :wink:

Merlin
01-14-2009, 10:29 AM
If the Giants wouldn't have doinked two field goals in regulation, who then would you blame the game on? I think that pretty much puts to bed the pathetic theory that Favre cost us the NFC championship game. It's time to move on and stop all the bullshit like this. If you can't stop it, then you seriously need to think ab out being a fan of another team, because you are no Packer fan.

sheepshead
01-14-2009, 10:34 AM
If the Giants wouldn't have doinked two field goals in regulation, who then would you blame the game on? I think that pretty much puts to bed the pathetic theory that Favre cost us the NFC championship game. It's time to move on and stop all the bullshit like this. If you can't stop it, then you seriously need to think ab out being a fan of another team, because you are no Packer fan.

As I said, all that needs to be said about this game has been said. I was just thinking of where I watched the game a year ago. I guess I could have posted a different pic.

ND72
01-14-2009, 10:46 AM

I was sitting row 12 right behind the play....scream death to Brett Favre as soon as he threw it.

Patler
01-14-2009, 10:48 AM

A year ago today on January 14 I was still celebrating the dominating win over Seattle just a couple days earlier.
Less than a week later, on January 20, I was lamenting the loss to the Giants, and the pick thrown by Favre.

GBRulz
01-14-2009, 10:51 AM

Did I miss a similar post from last week in the infamous snow game or do you only like to rehash the painful memories?

ND72
01-14-2009, 10:52 AM
poor throw but why doesn't someone throw up the pic where the ball is just leaving Brett's hand and you would see Lee no where near where he is in that pic, and Jennings and Driver running side by side with a dback. It's a timing route, the better WR got open more and it was an underthrown ball to Driver in the bitter cold.. Play probably should have never been called in the first place but you are a complete idiot if you think you can freeze a play and start saying other people were open on timing routes.. It's called anticipation.

This entire play is all on Brett Favre. "probably should have never been called"....what the hell? 4 guys open. The entire play (thanks to Donald Driver for explaining on his show) was for Brett to look at his side safety, read his corner, and if now open, dump it to the RB in the flat. Driver said flat out, Brett didn't read his corner.

Patler
01-14-2009, 10:55 AM

I was sitting row 12 right behind the play....scream death to Brett Favre as soon as he threw it.

A year ago tonight, January 14? Why in the world were you in the stadium then? The Seattle game was over a couple days earlier, and the Giants game wasn't until the 20th! :lol:

Partial
01-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Rather be playing in the playoffs than sitting at home with winning 37% of the games..

GBRulz
01-14-2009, 11:03 AM

A year ago tonight, January 14? Why in the world were you in the stadium then? The Seattle game was over a couple days earlier, and the Giants game wasn't until the 20th! :lol:

Maybe he was shoveling snow in the stands?

Patler
01-14-2009, 11:08 AM

Maybe he was shoveling snow in the stands?

Could be! :lol:

I wonder what Sheepshead was doing on that Monday, that he started this thread about it?

sheepshead
01-14-2009, 11:19 AM
yeah, ok, i checked the calender--my bad--ill re-do it next week.. :oops:

POLISHHAWK
01-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Rather be playing in the playoffs than sitting at home with winning 37% of the games..

Or having Favre lead us to winning 25% of our games like he did in '05...those 29 pick seasons are exciting (for the opponents).

When we had shitty seasons with him; it's not his fault... but he receives all of the credit when the TEAM played well.

Partial
01-14-2009, 01:39 PM

Or having Favre lead us to winning 25% of our games like he did in '05...those 29 pick seasons are exciting (for the opponents).

When we had shitty seasons with him; it's not his fault... but he receives all of the credit when the TEAM played well.

Those are your words, not mine.

I'm just saying I'd rather be in the playoffs than sitting at home bringing up bad memories. As pointed out by numerous intelligent football posters (not the op), it was a fine read and a bad throw in brutal weather.

packers11
01-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Hey we did bring the Super Bowl champs into OT... The pats can't even say that...

Patler
01-14-2009, 01:57 PM
As pointed out by numerous intelligent football posters (not the op), it was a fine read and a bad throw in brutal weather.

Funny how it works, in that same brutal weather Manning made great throw after great throw to Burress, making Al Harris look old and over the hill, too.

But then......a year later in strong winds at home this past weekend, Manning looked pretty bad trying to throw the ball.

Sometimes those dang pro athletes perform as if they're humans! :lol:

Pacopete4
01-14-2009, 02:16 PM
another thing that bugs me is why is he not smart enough to keep playing catch or ride a bike on the sidelines? Why don't the coaches makes him? It's stupidity not to. He can still be a great QB but his old body is different than when he was young in cold weather.. Talk about dumb!

Partial
01-14-2009, 02:22 PM
As pointed out by numerous intelligent football posters (not the op), it was a fine read and a bad throw in brutal weather.

Funny how it works, in that same brutal weather Manning made great throw after great throw to Burress, making Al Harris look old and over the hill, too.

But then......a year later in strong winds at home this past weekend, Manning looked pretty bad trying to throw the ball.

Sometimes those dang pro athletes perform as if they're humans! :lol:

He also didn't have Plax out there, though. But I'll agree, not his finest game by any stretch of the imagination

Cheesehead Craig
01-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Meh, why keep bringing the play up? It's done and in the past and a whole season has gone by. I stopped thinking about that play about 2 weeks after it happened.

Patler
01-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Meh, why keep bringing the play up? It's done and in the past and a whole season has gone by. I stopped thinking about that play about 2 weeks after it happened.

Well, that play and that game were a defining moment in Packer history. I really think that game as much as anything else convinced MM and TT that the Favre era was over.

The curious side of me wonders what they would have done if Favre had never retired. How would they have handled the season? Would Rodgers have been given a chance at all?

Cheesehead Craig
01-14-2009, 02:34 PM

Well, that play and that game were a defining moment in Packer history. I really think that game as much as anything else convinced MM and TT that the Favre era was over.

The curious side of me wonders what they would have done if Favre had never retired. How would they have handled the season? Would Rodgers have been given a chance at all?
I think the 4th and 26 play was worse as that predicated a coaching change and really brought out the general unrest with Sherman. But I do see the symbolicness of this play and the Favre era.

Fritz
01-14-2009, 03:07 PM

This entire play is all on Brett Favre. "probably should have never been called"....what the hell? 4 guys open. The entire play (thanks to Donald Driver for explaining on his show) was for Brett to look at his side safety, read his corner, and if now open, dump it to the RB in the flat. Driver said flat out, Brett didn't read his corner.

I have now seen the picture in which the ball is just coming out of Favre's hand, and even in that one the running back is wide open. How I wish Favre had just dumped it off!

Still, other players screwed up at earlier times in the game. it's not all on Favre.

It ust sucks that they lost, but they kinda deserved to lose, I thought. I thought the Gints outplayed 'em.

Joemailman
01-14-2009, 04:09 PM

No Rodgers would not. That's what always frustrated me about Favre retiring. Even if TT wanted to get rid of Favre (I don't think MM did), he was in no position to do so after the season Favre had just had. All Favre had to do was say he was excited about the opportunity to lead this young team to a Super Bowl, and there wouldn't have been anything TT could have done about it.

Patler
01-14-2009, 04:38 PM

No Rodgers would not. That's what always frustrated me about Favre retiring. Even if TT wanted to get rid of Favre (I don't think MM did), he was in no position to do so after the season Favre had just had. All Favre had to do was say he was excited about the opportunity to lead this young team to a Super Bowl, and there wouldn't have been anything TT could have done about it.

If you are right, then I am very glad that he did retire. The change was due.
But I'm not sure you are right, and I think MM was as ready to make the change as TT was. He made a curious staement before Favre's retirement, or during it but before the "unretirement", when he said that after reviewing the season he believed Favre "probably" could play one more year effectively. The "probably" just leaped out at me at the time, and I figured then that he had lost confidence in Favre finishing a season the way it needs to be finished to do well in the playoffs.

I think Rodgers would have had opportunities if wins were safely in hand, or if Favre was not playing well. I think MM may have forced the issue to ensure that Favre would have retired before 2009.

Joemailman
01-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Of course, what we don't know is what was said between Favre and McCarthy prior to Favre's retirement. If we knew, maybe we would have a better idea of why Favre retired. I do recall following Favre's retirement announcement McCarthy saying, in response to reporter's question "There isn't a bone in my body that wanted Brett Favre to retire". I don't recall the question. I do believe that McCarthy believed he could get another good year out of Favre if Favre was committed. I suspect Favre's retirement, which lasted a while, convinced McCarthy that Favre's heart was no longer in it to the extent it needed to be.