PDA

View Full Version : Mark Sanchez declares for the draft

rbaloha1
01-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Should the Lions select Sanchez or Stafford? or Not Select either?

Your thoughts Packers Nation.

red
01-14-2009, 06:18 PM
shouldn't you be asking if we should trade up to draft him?

rbaloha1
01-14-2009, 06:37 PM
shouldn't you be asking if we should trade up to draft him?

Ha ha.

Charles Woodson
01-14-2009, 06:49 PM
neither again, the lions would be repeating joey harrington with those picks

rbaloha1
01-14-2009, 07:00 PM
neither again, the lions would be repeating joey harrington with those picks

Good point. Given the Lions need for a qb you believe they stay away due to Harrington.

Not suggesting either will have immediate Ryan/Flacco success but maybe the Lions consider this?

Is Andre Smith or Curry the pick? Trade down?

For the Packers its best both qbs, and Moreno all go in the top eight since a highly rated player may slide to the Packers.

Sef0r
01-14-2009, 07:09 PM
The Lions have 3 picks in the top 33, they take QB 1st, DE 2nd and T 3rd. No way you could pass up on one of the 3 QBs if one can stand out.

DonHutson
01-14-2009, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Lions try to bail on the pick. Otherwise, I think they almost have to bite the bullet and take Stafford.

They need a ton of help on D, but there's no DL worth the top pick, and I can't see them taking Curry or Jenkins there. If Andre Smith really tests out well, I guess they could take him.

But you don't remove the taste of 0-16 from the fanbase with an OL, and this team hasn't had a franchise QB since Bobby Layne. And it's a copycat league. The memories of Ryan and Flacco are fresher than those of Harrington or even Andre Ware. I think they'll take Stafford.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-14-2009, 07:22 PM
If the Lions are smart they'll go Andre Smith with the first pick. Unless they feel they can get a nice LT with their 2nd first round pick, then QB could certainly be the pick.

rbaloha1
01-14-2009, 07:33 PM
If the Lions are smart they'll go Andre Smith with the first pick. Unless they feel they can get a nice LT with their 2nd first round pick, then QB could certainly be the pick.

Smith is the safer pick. IMO both qbs do no warrant the #1 overall.

cheesner
01-14-2009, 10:24 PM

Smith is the safer pick. IMO both qbs do no warrant the #1 overall.Flacco and Ryan proved what a difference a QB can make. I think the Lions should take a stab a greatness and go for the QB. The draft is deep at OT and you can get one that will improve your line with the 33rd pick.

MadtownPacker
01-15-2009, 08:37 AM
I wouldn't draft him. What if he gets deported?

rbaloha1
01-15-2009, 10:00 AM

Smith is the safer pick. IMO both qbs do no warrant the #1 overall.Flacco and Ryan proved what a difference a QB can make. I think the Lions should take a stab a greatness and go for the QB. The draft is deep at OT and you can get one that will improve your line with the 33rd pick.

True. Again do not think this year qbs are in this category. IMO Bradford is closer to Ryan and Flacco and would have deserved the #1 overall.

Cheesehead Craig
01-15-2009, 11:37 AM

True. Again do not think this year qbs are in this category. IMO Bradford is closer to Ryan and Flacco and would have deserved the #1 overall.
Any QB worth anything could guide the Ravens this season. That defense was flat out dominating. Flacco was adequate this season, but not a difference maker with that team.

rbaloha1
01-15-2009, 11:43 AM
deadspin.com/5131958/mark-sanchez-going-pro-unless-he-doesnt

rbaloha1
01-15-2009, 11:48 AM

Any QB worth anything could guide the Ravens this season. That defense was flat out dominating. Flacco was adequate this season, but not a difference maker with that team.

Disagree about Flacco. Yes, the defense is dominating thus putting less pressure on the qb trying to win games.

During the playoffs Flacco made remarkable throws and displayed veteran poise. Is Brian Brohm or Troy Smith capable of running the Ravens offense efficiently?

SkinBasket
01-15-2009, 12:27 PM
deadspin.com/5131958/mark-sanchez-going-pro-unless-he-doesnt

What kind of shitty effort at posting a link was this?

On the topic, Dirty Sanchez will be a fine back-up somewhere one day.

Jimx29
01-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Your thoughts Packers Nation.I hope he's not dirty

Fritz
01-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Ideally, the Lions would trade down. But who really wants to pick first any more any way?

Charles Woodson
01-15-2009, 06:03 PM

Disagree about Flacco. Yes, the defense is dominating thus putting less pressure on the qb trying to win games.

During the playoffs Flacco made remarkable throws and displayed veteran poise. Is Brian Brohm or Troy Smith capable of running the Ravens offense efficiently?

Brohm maybe, smith no.. but then again neither of those guys were takin with the 17th pick... Flacco was indeed adequate, even through the playoffs hes been alright. as its been all season, the defense forces a turnover and offense takes a small field.

oregonpackfan
01-15-2009, 07:36 PM

Ryan and Flacco are exceptions to the adage that rookie quarterbacks are rarely successful as starters in their rookie years.

Too many rookie quarterbacks have floundered when they start for lousy teams like Tim Couch, Akili Smith, and Joey Harrington.

It would be extremely unusual for any rookie quarterback to be successful with the Lions. I doubt that either Flacco or Ryan would have had as good a rookie season had they started for the Lions.

rbaloha1
01-15-2009, 07:53 PM

Ryan and Flacco are exceptions to the adage that rookie quarterbacks are rarely successful as starters in their rookie years.

Too many rookie quarterbacks have floundered when they start for lousy teams like Tim Couch, Akili Smith, and Joey Harrington.

It would be extremely unusual for any rookie quarterback to be successful with the Lions. I doubt that either Flacco or Ryan would have had as good a rookie season had they started for the Lions.

Great point. Lets hope the Lions think Stafford or Sanchez is Flacco or Ryan. lol.

Pugger
01-16-2009, 12:22 PM
I found it interesting is Pete Carroll publically said shouldn't go pro at this time! :shock:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=3835329

Cheesehead Craig
01-16-2009, 01:31 PM

9-23 for 135 yds vs Miami isn't all that good.
11-22 161 yds 1TD vs TN was better and he made the great throw to Heap.

So he's completing less than 50% of his passes in the postseason, that doesn't really ring of being a "veteran".

I said that any QB worth anything could lead the offense and Brohm and Smith aren't in that category.

Again, Flacco has been adequate, much how Dilfer was during the Ravens SB run. Everyone knows it's about the defense in Baltimore as the reason for their success.

rbaloha1
01-16-2009, 02:43 PM

9-23 for 135 yds vs Miami isn't all that good.
11-22 161 yds 1TD vs TN was better and he made the great throw to Heap.

So he's completing less than 50% of his passes in the postseason, that doesn't really ring of being a "veteran".

I said that any QB worth anything could lead the offense and Brohm and Smith aren't in that category.

Again, Flacco has been adequate, much how Dilfer was during the Ravens SB run. Everyone knows it's about the defense in Baltimore as the reason for their success.

Stats do not tell the whole story. Flacco possess veteran like poise, leadership and ability to complete passes in crucial times.

Listen to what the veteran teammates says about Flacco. In addition, the offense the Ravens run is based on running the ball and completing riskier deep passes off play action. Naturally completion percentage will be lower as opposed to precision passing attacks like the west coast and the run and shoot.

Cheesehead Craig
01-16-2009, 04:39 PM
My point is this: Flacco should not be touted as the posterboy of what a rookie QB can do for a team. He is simply being asked to be a game manager and not lose a game for a team with an elite defense and one of the top running games in the league. He didn't do anything special for the Ravens except not turn the ball over.

I'm not saying he can't be good, but to point to him and say "See what a big difference a rookie QB can make" in this situation is fallacious. He receives far too much credit. He threw the 3rd fewest passes in the NFL this season of regular starters.

As far as the comment of that he throws deeper passes more often, that's bunk. Per ESPN.com here's the percentage of the total passes that were for 10 yards or less:

Flacco - 65.4%
Rodgers - 64.9%
Pennington - 65.1%
Delhomme - 60.6%
Big Ben - 60.1%

No difference between West Coast offense or Wildcat and he throws short more often then other power running teams in Carolina and Pittsburgh.

Again, game manager. Nothing more, nothing less right now.

rbaloha1
01-16-2009, 04:49 PM
According to Jaws on espn Flacco helped the Ravens win games. Jaws went on to say Cam Cameron's offense always has receivers running deep with short routes. Flacco displayed good unrookie like decision making.

Stats can not measure the veteran intangibles Flacco consistently displayed as per teammates and football experts.

Cheesehead Craig
01-16-2009, 04:57 PM
According to Jaws on espn Flacco helped the Ravens win games. Jaws went on to say Cam Cameron's offense always has receivers running deep with short routes. Flacco displayed good unrookie like decision making.

Stats can not measure the veteran intangibles Flacco consistently displayed as per teammates and football experts.
This is like trying to argue with Partial about Young. When stats don't back up your argument you ignore them and go with "feelings".

All Flacco has done is not screw up too much. As far as teammates comments, what are they supposed to do, throw him under the bus? Laughable.

Again, not saying he won't be good but he's not all that and a bag of chips that you are making him out to be. He's just a game manager right now.

Let's see what happens when he is in a position where guys start leaning on him and not the other way around. Right now he's just riding the running game and defenses coattails.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-16-2009, 05:07 PM

Every player on every team helps their team win games.

Most teams have receivers running short and long routes.

Flacco has been a game manager. He threw 14 tds all season. His YPA was less than 7. He threw for less than 3k. His QB rating of 80 puts in 22nd out of 32.

He threw ZERO TDs in their first 2 wins. His big games he had 2 td throws.

His completed 20 passes in 2 playoff games with 1 td.

He displayed good decision making because he wasnt' forced into making decisions.

rbaloha1
01-16-2009, 05:11 PM
We are not talking about Sony playstation. To completely dismiss Flacco's decision making is ridiculous.

mraynrand
01-16-2009, 05:11 PM

Flacco has been a game manager. He threw 14 tds all season. His YPA was less than 7. He threw for less than 3k. His QB rating of 80 puts in 22nd out of 32.

He displayed good decision making because he wasnt' forced into making decisions.

Teammates and football experts are wrong once again.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-16-2009, 05:52 PM

Teammates: Teammates always support their QB..or at least they should. They are in the playoffs..you expect them to say something negative? Guaranteed if they lose...you'll see plenty of stories/comments about what they/he needs to work on.

Big Ben experienced the same kinda thing.

NFL experts: I wasn't aware there was unanimity among them. :oops:

mraynrand
01-16-2009, 07:48 PM

Teammates: Teammates always support their QB..or at least they should. They are in the playoffs..you expect them to say something negative? Guaranteed if they lose...you'll see plenty of stories/comments about what they/he needs to work on.

Big Ben experienced the same kinda thing.

NFL experts: I wasn't aware there was unanimity among them. :oops:

Everyone else is wrong once again. We can't even be right in being wrong.

Pugger
01-17-2009, 07:51 AM
From what I understand Flacco has a big time arm. He is fortunate that he has a great D and running game behind him. It looks like his stats aren't that different than Rodgers'. :shock: