PDA

View Full Version : Greg Jennings wants to stay...

packers11
01-14-2009, 11:10 PM
www.rotoworld.com
Greg Jennings reaffirmed his desire to sign a long-term extension with the Packers on Wednesday.

"I don't want to leave," he said. "I would like to end my career here." The sides haven't begun talking numbers, but the Packers are in good enough shape under the cap to get aggressive. Jennings is entering the final year of his rookie deal. He'll likely command an extension in the six-year, $45M range.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

BF4MVP
01-14-2009, 11:16 PM
With the big money all these other receivers are getting I'd give him 6/45 without even blinking...

Hopefully they can come to an agreement soon.

Lurker64
01-14-2009, 11:28 PM
With the big money all these other receivers are getting I'd give him 6/45 without even blinking...

Hopefully they can come to an agreement soon.

6/45 is no problem at all. Structure it in a cap-sensible manner, and pay the lad.

mission
01-15-2009, 12:25 AM
lock him up and throw away the key.

big play greg (my madden nickname for him) <3 :P

RashanGary
01-15-2009, 05:41 AM
Yup. Fair price. Do it.

Fritz
01-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Sign him up.

But do remember that if this is done, then Collins is still out there. And if Collins gets signed, that's less $ for big name free agents.

RashanGary
01-15-2009, 07:01 AM
Sign him up.

But do remember that if this is done, then Collins is still out there. And if Collins gets signed, that's less $ for big name free agents.

Sign Kampman, Jolly, Pickett, Collins, Jennings, Tramon, Spitz and Colledge too.

Kiwon
01-15-2009, 07:34 AM
Who came up with the 6 years / $45 million figure?

A columnist?
An agent?

BZnDallas
01-15-2009, 07:34 AM
GET IT DONE!!!

Badgerinmaine
01-15-2009, 08:25 AM
The price looks right to me, too--let's get it done!

MadtownPacker
01-15-2009, 08:36 AM
If I was GJ I would hold the gun to TT's head and demand the world.

I hope this gone done soon or it might get ugly.

cheesner
01-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Trying out the new XM radio and I hit fox sports radio this AM. They were discussing the young recievers in the NFL and they were ripping apart most of them. The guy then says that there are only 2 truly great young receivers in the NFL: Fitzgerald and Greg Jennings. The guy said he was even better than Calvin Johnson (i tuned in just when he was finishing his faults with CJ).

Luckily, the Packers are in good position financially to sign GJ for the long term. He can continue to grow with AR - perhaps the next Manning/Harrison combo.

rbaloha1
01-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Sign him up.

Sign Kampman, Jolly, Pickett, Collins, Jennings, Tramon, Spitz and Colledge too.

Kampman - yes
Jolly - wait
Pickett - yes
Collins - yes
Jennings - yes
Tramon - yes
Spitz - wait
Colledge - yes

mraynrand
01-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Trying out the new XM radio and I hit fox sports radio this AM. They were discussing the young recievers in the NFL and they were ripping apart most of them. The guy then says that there are only 2 truly great young receivers in the NFL: Fitzgerald and Greg Jennings. The guy said he was even better than Calvin Johnson (i tuned in just when he was finishing his faults with CJ).

Luckily, the Packers are in good position financially to sign GJ for the long term. He can continue to grow with AR - perhaps the next Manning/Harrison combo.

Not even close. Rodgers has yet to make a single national commercial. He'll never reach Manning status.

red
01-15-2009, 10:37 AM
that seems like a pretty low number IMO

MTPackerfan
01-15-2009, 10:42 AM

Not even close. Rodgers has yet to make a single national commercial. He'll never reach Manning status.

Manning didn't start with the commercials until about 4 years ago, after 8 years in the league, Give AR some more time, he can be just as funny as Peyton. :lol:

MadtownPacker
01-15-2009, 11:01 AM
Manning didn't start with the commercials until about 4 years ago, after 8 years in the league, Give AR some more time, he can be just as funny as Peyton. :lol:So he aint gonna be funny at all?

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Sign him up.

Kampman - yes
Jolly - wait
Pickett - yes
Collins - yes
Jennings - yes
Tramon - yes
Spitz - wait
Colledge - yes

Kampman - yes (100%)
Jolly - wait (He hasn't proven anything yet)
Pickett - No (He was a good pick up, but after this year I would go in a different direction at DT. He's not worth the money he will command IMO)
Collins - yes (100%)
Jennings - yes (100%)
Tramon - yes (while his price is still low)
Spitz - wait (If his play is high during the season sign him)
Colledge - wait (If his play is still high during the season sign him)

HarveyWallbangers
01-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Pickett - No (He was a good pick up, but after this year I would go in a different direction at DT. He's not worth the money he will command IMO)

1) I wouldn't write him off yet. He was injured early, missed all of training camp, and that might have affected him. He's still only 29 and for some reason (which I haven't figured out) those big DTs often can play a long time (see Pat Williams, Ted Washington, Keith Traylor, etc.).
2) I'm not sure he'll command huge money. We'll see.

I wouldn't break the bank and pay him elite money, but if they can resign him for a contract similar to his current one, I'd do it.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-15-2009, 11:52 AM

1) I wouldn't write him off yet. He was injured early, missed all of training camp, and that might have affected him. He's still only 29 and for some reason (which I haven't figured out) those big DTs often can play a long time (see Pat Williams, Ted Washington, Keith Traylor, etc.).

I wouldn't break the bank and pay him elite money, but if they can resign him for a contract similar to his current one, I'd do it.

I get what you’re saying and if the price is right I guess I wouldn't be against signing him to an extension. But at the same time I would like to make an overhaul at dt. We need guys that can stop the run AND provide a consistent pass rush.

bobblehead
01-15-2009, 12:19 PM
that seems like a pretty low number IMO

Or you, like most packer fans, overestimate GJ. I read an article that quoted his agent as comparing his salary to someones (forget who it was) and that was somewhere in this range. I remember thinking at the time "thank God he isn't being like grant". If these reports are true they should offer it and lock him up very soon. He is a high character guy, being reasonable and a damn good reciever. Can't do a lot better than that.

mraynrand
01-15-2009, 01:24 PM

I get what you’re saying and if the price is right I guess I wouldn't be against signing him to an extension. But at the same time I would like to make an overhaul at dt. We need guys that can stop the run AND provide a consistent pass rush.

Good point about the longevity of some of those run stopping DTs, Harv. Just thinking about it pragmatically, you have to keep Pickett around unless you are certain of bringing in someone else. The Packers really have very little right now at DT to stop the run.

bobblehead
01-15-2009, 02:01 PM

While that is an admirable goal you realize those kind of guys are far and few between. EVERY team would like a pair of them, but there are probably about 10 in the entire NFL.

Lurker64
01-15-2009, 02:02 PM

But just because you want to have a guy who can stop the run and provide a consistent pass rush, doesn't mean you get rid of your best guy for stopping the run because he doesn't provide a consistent pass rush.

Every team in the league would probably like to have Pat Williams as one of their DTs, despite the fact that he's far from fearsome as a pass-rusher (18.5 total sacks in 12 total seasons, 5.5 in the last 4 with the Vikings). What makes the Vikings starting DT tandem so fearsome is that they have a guy who can stop the run with the best of them (Pat) and a guy who can stop the run and rush the passer (Kevin).

Classically this is why the under-tackle and over-tackle are different positions and require different players. In theory the over-tackle occupies the center and the weakside guard, leaving the generally smaller and more athletic under-tackle to take on the strongside guard one-on-one (though it certainly doesn't always work that way.) Since I have no idea what defensive scheme we're going to be using two weeks from now, it's hard to say. But if you want a great pass-rusher you don't want to replace Pickett, he's just what you want in an over-tackle (though there are those who are better.)

Guiness
01-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Classically this is why the under-tackle and over-tackle are different positions and require different players. In theory the over-tackle occupies the center and the weakside guard, leaving the generally smaller and more athletic under-tackle to take on the strongside guard one-on-one (though it certainly doesn't always work that way.)

Umm, you mean like we had with Pickett and Williams? Ya, that sorta worked 8-)

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-15-2009, 02:23 PM
But did Pickett even play all that good this year? I sure didn't think he did. I don't think off his performance from last season that he is worth keeping at 4 mil or more which he'll probably get. I don't know, am just not that impressed with his play of late.

Also, I understand you can't have a team full of dt's that can provide a pass rush and stop the run, but I only see dt's that can stop the run on the roster.

Lurker64
01-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Pickett didn't really play that well, but he was the only real over-tackle we had on the roster so he played way too many snaps. In theory he should be splitting snaps with Harrell, but we've seen how well that works out.

Remember when we had a DT rotation? That worked out pretty well. This year we had Colin Cole spelling both Jolly and Pickett. Nobody looked good.

Waldo
01-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Pickett didn't really play that well, but he was the only real over-tackle we had on the roster so he played way too many snaps. In theory he should be splitting snaps with Harrell, but we've seen how well that works out.

Remember when we had a DT rotation? That worked out pretty well. This year we had Colin Cole spelling both Jolly and Pickett. Nobody looked good.

Pickett appeared to have lost some of his shedding ability/athleticism. It is normal for a DT his age to begin declining in athleticism a bit while at the same time increasing in power and tech. One of the assumptions that the wide alignment of the ends in the Bates/Sanders scheme makes it that both tackles have lateral mobility and can shed. Pickett was eating the blocks and didn't get pushed back too much, but often times Kamp fired so far upfield that there was a gaping hole between them for the back to run through.

Kamp's ability to play the run has been steadily declining since he broke out as a pass rusher. As of late he has appeared to be a guy playing for stats more than anything else.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-15-2009, 02:41 PM

Good point about the longevity of some of those run stopping DTs, Harv. Just thinking about it pragmatically, you have to keep Pickett around unless you are certain of bringing in someone else. The Packers really have very little right now at DT to stop the run.

It not about being 29 or 39 or whatever, I just think that with the guys we have at DT we will only be an average d-line. I personally think we need a complete overhaul. I would like to see at least one or two rookies brought in and also a good free agent. I'm willing to give Harrell and Jolly more time to see if they develop into good players, but with Pickett you know what you got. Pickett plays the run decent and rarely if ever collapses the pocket. He's nothing special to me and I think he could be replaced.

I like our DE’s however. I think Jenkins and Kampman make a great pair. Also, I really like Thompson; I think he’s going to be a good player.

Waldo
01-15-2009, 02:49 PM
I really like Thompson; I think he’s going to be a good player.

As do I. The kid needs to stop overthinking everything and just rely on his god given talent. He's got the measurables to go high in the first, but the instincts and tech of a mid-late round pick. He's too nice on the field, if he starts to play instinctive and angry, and he could really be special.

Gunakor
01-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Sign him up.

Kampman - yes
Jolly - wait
Pickett - yes
Collins - yes
Jennings - yes
Tramon - yes
Spitz - wait
Colledge - yes

You only resign Kampy if you are sticking with a 4-3. And you resign Spitz because he is, at the very least, a competent and very serviceable utility backup on the OL (if not the future at center). The others I agree with.