PDA

View Full Version : More interest in opening

Partial
01-14-2009, 11:15 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37618819.html

packinpatland
01-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Have fun storming the castle!......think it'll work?.........it'll take a miracle.

RashanGary
01-15-2009, 05:44 AM
The more good coaching candidates I see the less concerned I am about them taking their time and researching.

Fritz
01-15-2009, 06:48 AM
What I find interesting is that in the last couple of days, the articles have suggested that Williams is or has become the #1 candidate for the Packers, yet these supposed inside sources who supposedly know Williams' intentions indicate that Green Bay would be third on Williams's list.

IF this is so, why would the Packers wait? Okay, maybe Schvantz stays in Tennessee if he doesn't get the Detroit HC gig. But then New Orleans would snap up Williams - again, reports suggest they are hot for him like a teenage guy is hot for Pamela Anderson. So why would the Packers sit around and wait on Williams?

My guess is that the Pack is interested but also has an interest in someone still coaching (McDermott?), and that's the stronger reason they are not moving.

It's been interesting, the tones of the articles the last couple of days.

RashanGary
01-15-2009, 07:03 AM
Honestly, I don't care if we do get Williams. It sounds like there are 3 or 4 candidates that are proven and more than qualified as well as several assistants that would be worth interviewing. Turn over every stone and then take the best.

Bretsky
01-15-2009, 07:37 AM
Honestly, I don't care if we do get Williams. It sounds like there are 3 or 4 candidates that are proven and more than qualified as well as several assistants that would be worth interviewing. Turn over every stone and then take the best.

Flipper :wink:

Fritz
01-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Damn you Bretsky! Now I'll have the song from that stupid TV show, plus the sounds of squeaking dolphins, in my head all day...

Badgerinmaine
01-15-2009, 08:23 AM
I was delighted to see Tim Lewis' name pop in there--his intelligence and hard work has always struck me favorably.

Pugger
01-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Evidently Williams is going to NO and be their DC. I too think MM is waiting for someone else to become available.

Partial
01-15-2009, 01:20 PM

More qualified? How can an assistant, who has never been a DC, be more qualified? That doesn't even make sense. Williams is a stud of a coordinator. They are going to rue they day they didn't pony up.

Brohm
01-15-2009, 03:30 PM

More qualified? How can an assistant, who has never been a DC, be more qualified? That doesn't even make sense. Williams is a stud of a coordinator. They are going to rue they day they didn't pony up.

That would be assuming $$ was the issue.

TheCheese
01-15-2009, 03:39 PM

Did you really just say that? Just because someone has a job title doesn't make them qualified.

By your logic Bob Sanders was more qualified as a defensive coordinator in the 2007 off season than Steve Spagnuolo. Now that to me doesn't make sense.

Just because someone hasn't had the opportunity doesn't mean they aren't more qualified than a candidate that has.

Waldo
01-15-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm surprised that Tn's secondary coach isn't talked about as a potential candidate. Their secondary plays pretty similar to ours and he's been in Tn's system for a while. Wouldn't mind Fisher's watered down 46 coming to town.

Plus the kids in GB would love him, heck he'd be by far the most popular option if his name was brought up. :wink:

Chuck Cecil

Fritz
01-15-2009, 04:45 PM
...and his name is?

Partial
01-15-2009, 06:58 PM

Did you really just say that? Just because someone has a job title doesn't make them qualified.

By your logic Bob Sanders was more qualified as a defensive coordinator in the 2007 off season than Steve Spagnuolo. Now that to me doesn't make sense.

Just because someone hasn't had the opportunity doesn't mean they aren't more qualified than a candidate that has.

Saying that now is easy. How can one argue that Sean McDermott or whomever without any experience as a coordinator, is more qualified than a well-respected, top-tier coordinator? That's just not the way it is.

He may turn out to be as good or better, but right now it is a giant question mark versus a known entity. 10/10 times you take the known entity if the known entity is very good (which Williams is).

TheCheese
01-16-2009, 05:15 AM

Saying that now is easy. How can one argue that Sean McDermott or whomever without any experience as a coordinator, is more qualified than a well-respected, top-tier coordinator? That's just not the way it is.

He may turn out to be as good or better, but right now it is a giant question mark versus a known entity. 10/10 times you take the known entity if the known entity is very good (which Williams is).

In bold is what I'm talking about that you said. You basically said there is no way an assistant can be more qualified than a DC. I proved you wrong, I gave you an example of how that is possible and now your saying that it's "easy" to say that. Even though hindsight is 20/20, that doesn't change the fact that Spagnuolo was more qualified in the 2007 off season as an assistant than Sanders was as a coordinator when it comes to which one would be the better DC. Hell Spagnuolo was more qualified to be a great DC than fricking Williams was.

I'll tell you this right now, there are assistants in the NFL right now who are more qualified at being a great DC than Williams. They just haven't got the opportunity yet. But that doesn't mean they aren't just as, if not more qualified. Talent, intelligence, scheme, intangibles, leadership are all things that make you qualified, not necessarily just experience.

And there are assistants out there with these qualities better than Williams, and maybe without all the ego.

I mean come on Del Rio never had any problems before with any assistant coaches or coordinators. Let some other team deal with that shit. I would gladly take a chance on someone like McDermott.

RashanGary
01-16-2009, 06:35 AM
I don't remember anyone saying more qualified. Not me.

Patler
01-16-2009, 06:46 AM
I don't remember anyone saying more qualified. Not me.

Appears a few posters need to read a bit more carefully, heh JH? :lol:
Isn't it amazing how a simple overlooked word can change the meaning so much, and spawn a debate that is so off point from your original argument!

Badgerinmaine
01-16-2009, 07:00 AM
...and his name is?
Bart Andrus, and he's just been offered the head coaching job of the CFL's Toronto Argonauts:
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/570575
So, the power of Packer Rats shows again: Even suggesting a name here as someone the Packers want to hire is enough to get him a job with someone else. :-)

Waldo
01-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Chuck Cecil is Tn's secondary coach.

Iron Mike
01-16-2009, 07:37 AM

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper337/stills/5d0x6tir.jpg

Val Kilmer as Chris Knight in Real Genius

Rue the day?? Who talks like that?

Fritz
01-16-2009, 03:17 PM

I rue the day people don't say that any more.

Iron Mike
01-16-2009, 05:39 PM

I rue the day people don't say that any more.

Real Genius is on G4 right now!!!

http://img5.allocine.fr/acmedia/medias/nmedia/18/65/61/58/18875862.jpg