PDA

View Full Version : Perch Harvin in Brandon Spikes out

rbaloha1
01-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Harvin is an excellent trade down candidate although imo a better prospect than Ginn at #7.

Bummed about Spikes. Maybe RM is the guy now. Is RM a reach at the #9 pick?

Partial
01-15-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm a big Harvin fan but I wouldn't touch him that early. He's not as fast as Ginn imo and he's more a scatback still than a receiver. He'll need a year or three to grow into a receiver role.

rbaloha1
01-15-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm a big Harvin fan but I wouldn't touch him that early. He's not as fast as Ginn imo and he's more a scatback still than a receiver. He'll need a year or three to grow into a receiver role.

Agree -- does not possess Ginn's raw speed but has better feet and cutting ability. Too bad Harvin was injured a good part of the season. Even with the bad ankle displayed big play abilities in the national championship game.

Lurker64
01-15-2009, 07:04 PM
I doubt that Harvin will be available anywhere in the draft where it will make sense for us to take him. We just don't need any more first day WRs. We probably wouldn't take him anyway since Thompson's preference is definitely for guys who have great hands, run good routes, and have considerable production to their names (e.g. Jennings, Nelson) rather than big school guys who are amazing athletes but will need to polish their route running to be great NFL receivers (e.g. Chad Jackson, DeSean Jackson). Harvin doesn't look like the kind of guy we'd draft at all, but he is a quite the athlete.

Spikes not declaring is too bad for us though, I still don't think Maualuga is the right pick at #9, but Spikes not coming out will mean that the value for LB later on is less, which is when we should be drafting a LB anyway, IMO.

rbaloha1
01-15-2009, 07:16 PM
I doubt that Harvin will be available anywhere in the draft where it will make sense for us to take him. We just don't need any more first day WRs. We probably wouldn't take him anyway since Thompson's preference is definitely for guys who have great hands, run good routes, and have considerable production to their names (e.g. Jennings, Nelson) rather than big school guys who are amazing athletes but will need to polish their route running to be great NFL receivers (e.g. Chad Jackson, DeSean Jackson). Harvin doesn't look like the kind of guy we'd draft at all, but he is a quite the athlete.

Spikes not declaring is too bad for us though, I still don't think Maualuga is the right pick at #9, but Spikes not coming out will mean that the value for LB later on is less, which is when we should be drafting a LB anyway, IMO.

Good point. Yes Harvin does not meet TT's mo for wrs.

However Harvin could work for the Packers as another return person, slot receiver and gulp potential wildcat plays.

Yes, Harvin is not a product of a pro offense but can still be worked into the packers offense. The guy is a difference maker. Desean Jackson had a very nice rookie year.

On the fence with RM.

texaspackerbacker
01-15-2009, 07:33 PM
I really don't think we need a linebacker.

Harvin is exactly the kind of luxury item I have spoken of that a team like the Packers--with no really pressing needs (just watch the negativists jump on that line)can use--a Slaton-type speed runner. However, I also would not draft Harvin at #9 of the first round. I'm not sure I would even draft him later in the first round, as Thompson ought to be able to find some kind of a gem in the mid to late rounds--kinda like Ahmad Bradshaw or Tashard Choice.

I think the Packers will not trade down, and will go for either a corner--Jenkins or Davis or a big mobile offensive tackle.

If Crabtree is there, though, he'd be hard to pass up no matter how loaded we are at wideout.

rbaloha1
01-15-2009, 07:42 PM
I really don't think we need a linebacker.

Disagree. Hawk is average, Barnett is coming off injury, Poppinga is not starting material and Chillar may only be a coverage lb.

Harvin is exactly the kind of luxury item I have spoken of that a team like the Packers--with no really pressing needs (just watch the negativists jump on that line)can use--a Slaton-type speed runner. However, I also would not draft Harvin at #9 of the first round. I'm not sure I would even draft him later in the first round, as Thompson ought to be able to find some kind of a gem in the mid to late rounds--kinda like Ahmad Bradshaw or Tashard Choice.

Exactly. The only person capable on the roster is Blackmon (played wr senior year). Harvin adds a dimension lacking on the Packers. Do not suggest taking at #9 but a good trade down option. Harvin's value will rise due to the lack of wrs in the draft and possible more teams considering wildcat plays.

I think the Packers will not trade down, and will go for either a corner--Jenkins or Davis or a big mobile offensive tackle.

Probably the best players available at #9

If Crabtree is there, though, he'd be hard to pass up no matter how loaded we are at wideout. Crabtree will not be available at #9.

Zool
01-15-2009, 09:34 PM
No one thought Adrian Peterson would be available for the Vikes at the 7th slot a couple years ago either. You just never know. Thats what keeps the draft addicts coming back year after year.

Partial
01-15-2009, 09:35 PM
No one thought Adrian Peterson would be available for the Vikes at the 7th slot a couple years ago either. You just never know. Thats what keeps the draft addicts coming back year after year.

What? Everybody did. A lot of people thought he'd last until the Texans at 10.

mission
01-16-2009, 04:40 AM
I thought AP was supposed to go Top 3 ???

Lurker64
01-16-2009, 04:44 AM

That year, most people anticipated the top 3 being Jamarcus Russell, Calvin Johnson, and Brady Quinn in some order.

Zool
01-16-2009, 09:38 AM
No one really knew what the Browns would do being that they needed....well everything. I kinda figured they would take AP.

Fritz
01-16-2009, 11:12 AM

That year, most people anticipated the top 3 being Jamarcus Russell, Calvin Johnson, and Brady Quinn in some order.

Lions had the second pick that year. The three names bandied about were Russell, Johnson, and Peterson.

the waters were muddy about AP.

rbaloha1
01-16-2009, 11:41 AM

Lions had the second pick that year. The three names bandied about were Russell, Johnson, and Peterson.

the waters were muddy about AP.

True. The questions about AP were the running style -- runs too high.

The only thing with Crabtree is the 40 time which imo is irrelevant. This dude is probably a consensus top 5 if not top 3 selection.

swede
01-16-2009, 11:44 AM

That was a pretty humiliating day for Brady Quinn. Before he had a chance to stand up and acknowledge his big moment the janitor had already been by twice asking Quinn to pick up his feet so he could finish mopping.

Good thing he had Tetris on his cell phone.

Fritz
01-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Same for Rodgers the year he was drafted.

Zool
01-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Same for Sanchez in about 3 months.

Lurker64
01-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Same for Sanchez in about 3 months.

At about 17-19 in the draft you have a run of three teams that could all really use a QB: Jets, Bears, Bucs. I can't see him getting to 20.

texaspackerbacker
01-16-2009, 01:54 PM
The question with Crabtree, as with Harvin, is can you get something almost as good farther down in the draft? Usually, that's true for WRs and RBs. True, every now and then, somebody really extraordinary comes along, but for every one of those, there are a half dozen--make that a dozen--who don't pan out--at least not as superstars.

Some positions, on the other hand, are a lot more predictable for success--corner, for example, and maybe O Line. That is what you should go with in the first round.

Yeah, yeah, I was just about to hit submit, then I started to think about Mandarich and John Michael and Terrell Buckley and the kid from Arkansas, I can't think of his name, etc. I guess nothing is sure. It's all a crapshoot.

rbaloha1
01-16-2009, 02:28 PM
The question with Crabtree, as with Harvin, is can you get something almost as good farther down in the draft? Usually, that's true for WRs and RBs. True, every now and then, somebody really extraordinary comes along, but for every one of those, there are a half dozen--make that a dozen--who don't pan out--at least not as superstars.

Some positions, on the other hand, are a lot more predictable for success--corner, for example, and maybe O Line. That is what you should go with in the first round.

Yeah, yeah, I was just about to hit submit, then I started to think about Mandarich and John Michael and Terrell Buckley and the kid from Arkansas, I can't think of his name, etc. I guess nothing is sure. It's all a crapshoot.

Crabtree is special. IMO no player in this draft is comparable. On the other hand, Harvin type player are available later in the draft.

For example undrafted free agent form Hawaii Davonne Bess had a good year for the Dolphins. In fact DB's numbers were the best of any free agent receiver since Wayne Chrebet.

Lurker64
01-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Don't "this WR is special" guys come around every other draft? How often do they actually end up being special?

There are scant few true superstar WRs in this league (Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, anybody else?). While those guys are both top 5 picks, it certainly doesn't appear to be the case that the NFL is particularly good at picking out the "this guy is going to be special" WRs. Let's go through the WRs taken in the top 10 for the last few years.

It's a bit early for 2007, but Calvin Johnson certainly hasn't been what the Lions needed, and Ted Ginn hasn't been particularly notable.

From 2005, Braylon Edwards has been a mild disappointment and Williamson has been a huge disappointment.

From 2004, Fitzgerald is a legitimate superstar, but neither Roy Williams nor Reggie Williams have been particularly special.

From 2003, Charles Rogers was a legitimate bust, and Andre Johnson is a legitimate superstar but he took a while to be truly dominant.

From 2001, David Terrell wouldn't be known to any of us, if he didn't play in the division.

From 2000, Peter Warrick is far from a household name, and Plaxico, while a good player, is an absolute nutcase.

From 1999 Tory Holt has had a good career, but isn't a hall of fame lock or anything, and David Boston is a bust.

So, if we go through the last 10 years, you can probably find people who thought that Calvin Johnson, Braylon Edwards, Charles Rogers, David Terrell, and Peter Warrick were special.

Personally, I would just prefer to pass on top 10 WRs.

Fritz
01-16-2009, 03:19 PM
I will say that I think Calvin Johnson is going to be a great player. I think you'll see him come on big time.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Don't "this WR is special" guys come around every other draft? How often do they actually end up being special?

There are scant few true superstar WRs in this league (Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, anybody else?). While those guys are both top 5 picks, it certainly doesn't appear to be the case that the NFL is particularly good at picking out the "this guy is going to be special" WRs. Let's go through the WRs taken in the top 10 for the last few years.

It's a bit early for 2007, but Calvin Johnson certainly hasn't been what the Lions needed, and Ted Ginn hasn't been particularly notable.

From 2005, Braylon Edwards has been a mild disappointment and Williamson has been a huge disappointment.

From 2004, Fitzgerald is a legitimate superstar, but neither Roy Williams nor Reggie Williams have been particularly special.

From 2003, Charles Rogers was a legitimate bust, and Andre Johnson is a legitimate superstar but he took a while to be truly dominant.

From 2001, David Terrell wouldn't be known to any of us, if he didn't play in the division.

From 2000, Peter Warrick is far from a household name, and Plaxico, while a good player, is an absolute nutcase.

From 1999 Tory Holt has had a good career, but isn't a hall of fame lock or anything, and David Boston is a bust.

So, if we go through the last 10 years, you can probably find people who thought that Calvin Johnson, Braylon Edwards, Charles Rogers, David Terrell, and Peter Warrick were special.

Personally, I would just prefer to pass on top 10 WRs.

Come on Lurker, you're better than this. First, I'd consider Moss still a superstar WR, and Plax was until the gun incident. Maybe we just see things differently, but Calvin played spectacularly last year while being doubled covered most of the time. Ted Ginn Jr. had several big plays for the 'Phins this year, but as was the case when he came out of college, he isn't a good route runner and still needs lots of coaching, but the talent is there. Braylon was one of the best recievers in the AFC in 2007 and just had an awful year this last there is no way you can call that a mild disappointment, if anything a push. Roy Williams has also been pretty special for a couple years. The Cowboys certainly thought so when they shipped all those picks to the Lions(who by the way, found their #1 in Calvin which made that all possible) for their future replacement for T.O.. Lastly, Boston had a good career with a lot of promise, but after getting caught for steriods and his subsequent injuries he pretty much fell off the map.

Besides that your list is pretty accurate...