PDA

View Full Version : Dom Capers?

packers11
01-16-2009, 12:17 PM
CAPERS HITS PACKERS’ RADAR
Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2009, 12:46 p.m.

With Mike Nolan and Gregg Williams taking defensive coordinator positions with other teams after being identified as finalists for the same job in Green Bay, another name is being added to the Packers’ list.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, Pats special assistant/secondary Dom Capers is interviewing for the defensive coordinator job on Mike McCarthy’s staff.

Capers, 58, has spent the last 23 years in the NFL, working as among other things the first head coach of both the Panthers and the Texans, and the defensive coordinator of the Steelers, Jaguars, and Dolphins.

Another former Steelers defensive coordinator, and two-time former head coach, remains in the running as well — Jim Haslett.

Then there’s Eagles secondary coach Sean McDermott. He still might get the job, if Philly loses on Sunday at Arizona.

packers11
01-16-2009, 12:19 PM
He is a 3-4 guy... Don't like it... Pass...

Fritz
01-16-2009, 12:19 PM
a 3-4 guy.

HarveyWallbangers
01-16-2009, 12:26 PM
1992 - Pittsburgh - 2nd (points allowed); 13th (yards allowed)
1993 - Pittsburgh - 8th (points allowed); 3rd (yards allowed)
1994 - Pittsburgh - 2nd (points allowed); 2nd (yards allowed)

1999 - Jacksonville - 1st (points allowed); 4th (yards allowed)
2000 - Jacksonville - 16th (points allowed); 16th (yards allowed)

In 1992, he was DC for a team with a new coach. Pittsburgh's defense ranked 24th in points allowed and 22nd in yards allowed in 1991.

In 1999, he took over as DC for a Jacksonville defense that ranked 17th in points allowed and 25th in yards allowed in 1998.

Great track record. I'll take him.

bobblehead
01-16-2009, 12:26 PM
BATES.....call him, beg him, offer him HC money and assistant HC job. He turned our defense around once already and I think its time to set ego's aside and get the master of the bates system back.

edit: Just read his wikipedia. He still lives in wisconsin. He also got bumped in '07 as DC of the broncos for...get this....bob slowik. The broncos defense went from 9th to 29th. Nice.

bobblehead
01-16-2009, 12:31 PM

In 1992, he was DC for a team with a new coach. Pittsburgh's defense ranked 24th in points allowed and 22nd in yards allowed in 1991.

In 1999, he took over as DC for a Jacksonville defense that ranked 17th in points allowed and 25th in yards allowed in 1998.

I like this, I would take him too. I'm all about results and accountability. Looks like he has gotten results.

Since I am all about results I would say at least 3 defensive guys from last year should lose their jobs.

Zool
01-16-2009, 12:37 PM
BATES.....call him, beg him, offer him HC money and assistant HC job. He turned our defense around once already and I think its time to set ego's aside and get the master of the bates system back.

edit: Just read his wikipedia. He still lives in wisconsin. He also got bumped in '07 as DC of the broncos for...get this....bob slowik. The broncos defense went from 9th to 29th. Nice.

I've thought of this one too, but he seemed pretty disgruntled that he didnt get the head spot over McCarthy.

sheepshead
01-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Hire Capers.

Freak Out
01-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Why not hire him?

Waldo
01-16-2009, 12:44 PM
I think that MM is pretty open to and possibly set on switching to a 3-4.

The 3-4 is ideal when your primary opponents prefer to run the ball and have quick athletic backs that are good cutback runners. The WCO is its biggest enemy, and was the reason it dwindled in popularity, as the T-2 is the WCO's enemy, and the WCO rose in the 90's. Since then the zone blitz principles have been worked out agaisnt the WCO and it does a decent job with that too.

Our division incidentally is full of crappy QB's and teams that rely on the run with athletic backs. Schwartz's vision in Detroit that he laid out is basing his offense on the run.

We have the most important part. Pickett would be more than adequate at NT, possibly quite good, taking on double teams has been the name of his game since coming to GB, he actually might be better suited there going forward as power is valued over athleticism, and his athleticism is declining.

We have a RDE in Jenkins. Kamp could play LDE (he is similar to Justin Smith, the LDE for SF, who played quite good), though a little more size wouldn't hurt, he too could be traded, but he wouldn't be awful and could excel (Howie Long was 6'5" 265, Kamp is 6'4" 265). There are 2 good 3-4 DE's on the market this FA period if Kamp were to be traded, Canty and Olshansky. Jolly and Harrell would be an acceptable 3-4 DE backups right now, and Harrell could play NT in a pinch (a true backup would be a draft need though, Ron Brace?, though Raji is a Wilfork clone and he started his first year in NE on the nose). We have the 2 ILB's (Hawk, Barnett) and backups (Chillar, Bishop, Lansanah). We have the SOLB (Poppinga) but could use an upgrade. We have 2 backup WOLB's (Thompson, Hunter) but could use an upgrade, Thompson could emerge as a starting caliber OLB on either the weak or strong side.

The biggest needs would be a stud WOLB, Suggs in FA or Brown/Orapko/Johnson in the draft, a backup NT (Brace, Raji, or a few others in the draft (a Michigan DT is a good prospect too)), and possibly a trade of Kamp and signing a dedicated 3-4 DE in FA, plus a DE backup in the draft, and a backup SOLB with starting potential.

We could run it acceptably with out current roster, a few tweaks and we could have a decent one in short order. We have the nose, that is the most important position. At 6'-2" 330, Pickett can handle it. The nose has to be able to take double teams on every play or it doesn't work, and that is Pickett's game.

Another added bonus to a 3-4 is that are more of MM's favorite ST players, 6'5" 265 LB fast guys that can hit, on the roster.

texaspackerbacker
01-16-2009, 12:50 PM
You guys just keep on grasping at those straws if it makes you feel good. McCarthy will probably come up with somebody none of you ever thought of.

I would be thoroughly pleased with Bates--basically, continuing the same scheme, but with a more charismatic leader. It just doesn't get any better than that. It probably won't happen, though.

I wouldn't be totally displeased with Capers--BECAUSE he is a 3-4 guy. I don't think that will happen either. McCarthy just doesn't seem to favor old guys who have worn out their welcomes elsewhere.

The Shadow
01-16-2009, 12:52 PM

The 3-4 is ideal when your primary opponents prefer to run the ball and have quick athletic backs that are good cutback runners. The WCO is its biggest enemy, and was the reason it dwindled in popularity, as the T-2 is the WCO's enemy, and the WCO rose in the 90's. Since then the zone blitz principles have been worked out agaisnt the WCO and it does a decent job with that too.

Our division incidentally is full of crappy QB's and teams that rely on the run with athletic backs. Schwartz's vision in Detroit that he laid out is basing his offense on the run.

We have the most important part. Pickett would be more than adequate at NT, possibly quite good, taking on double teams has been the name of his game since coming to GB, he actually might be better suited there going forward as power is valued over athleticism, and his athleticism is declining.

We have a RDE in Jenkins. Kamp could play LDE (he is similar to Justin Smith, the LDE for SF, who played quite good), though a little more size wouldn't hurt, he too could be traded, but he wouldn't be awful and could excel. There are 2 good 3-4 DE's on the market this FA period if Kamp were to be traded, Canty and Olshansky. Jolly and Harrell would be an acceptable 3-4 DE backups right now, and Harrell could play NT in a pinch (a true backup would be a draft need though, Ron Brace?, though Raji is a Wilfork clone and he started his first year in NE on the nose). We have the 2 ILB's (Hawk, Barnett) and backups (Chillar, Bishop, Lansanah). We have the SOLB (Poppinga) but could use an upgrade. We have 2 backup WOLB's (Thompson, Hunter) but could use an upgrade, Thompson could emerge as a starting caliber OLB on either the weak or strong side.

The biggest needs would be a stud WOLB, Suggs in FA or Brown/Orapko/Johnson in the draft, a backup NT (Brace, Raji, or a few others in the draft (a Michigan DT is a good prospect too)), and possibly a trade of Kamp and signing a dedicated 3-4 DE in FA, plus a DE backup in the draft, and a backup SOLB with starting potential.

We could run it acceptably with out current roster, a few tweaks and we could have a decent one in short order. We have the nose, that is the most important position. At 6'-2" 330, Pickett can handle it. The nose has to be able to take double teams on every play or it doesn't work, and that is Pickett's game.

Another added bonus to a 3-4 is that are more of MM's favorite ST players, 6'5" 265 LB fast guys that can hit, on the roster.

A nice analysis, but I think a good football player (Kamp) can adapt to just about any system.

Waldo
01-16-2009, 01:06 PM
I agree. A lot of people don't think that he could play 3-4 DE, but I disagree. His sack #'s would probably go down, but he would still be quite good. He does a good job 1 on 1 with any lineman, you don't see him getting blown off the line unless doubled, and that wouldn't happen as a 3-4 DE since the TE is lined up across from the SOLB, to double Kamp would leave him unblocked. Justin Smith, SF's LDE is a pretty similar player to him, a little heavier, but Kamp has played heavier, and Smith's sack #'s didn't change switching from a 4-3 to 3-4. Howie Long is widely regarded as the best 3-4 DE ever, and he's pretty similar in build to Kamp.

rbaloha1
01-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Pass on the 3-4 scheme. Kampman is a 4-3 end. Asking AK to drop into coverage during a zone blitz would be disasterous.

Plus the scheme could prevent the Packer from making the playoffs. Tweaking the 4-3 with increased innovative blitzing gives the Packers a better chance to make the playoffs. The players are in place combined with the draft and free agency.

Love the 3-4 but not for the Packers.

Waldo
01-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Pass on the 3-4 scheme. Kampman is a 4-3 end. Asking AK to drop into coverage during a zone blitz would be disasterous.

Plus the scheme could prevent the Packer from making the playoffs. Tweaking the 4-3 with increased innovative blitzing gives the Packers a better chance to make the playoffs. The players are in place combined with the draft and free agency.

Kamp would be a DE, not an OLB. 3-4 DE's don't cover except the rare slant/hook zone drop, something that he already does. The SOLB/WOLB on his side would be the blitzer/coverage guy. Depending on the 3-4 scheme run, he would line up in the RG-RT gap or across from the RT (same as now, but not angled out wide). Right now the best 3-4 SOLB on our roster is Poppinga, the best WOLB on our roster is Thompson.

Harlan Huckleby
01-16-2009, 02:17 PM

Will we bring back Sanders too - groom him to be Bates' successor?

rbaloha1
01-16-2009, 02:24 PM

Kamp would be a DE, not an OLB. 3-4 DE's don't cover except the rare slant/hook zone drop, something that he already does. The SOLB/WOLB on his side would be the blitzer/coverage guy. Depending on the 3-4 scheme run, he would line up in the RG-RT gap or across from the RT (same as now, but not angled out wide). Right now the best 3-4 SOLB on our roster is Poppinga, the best WOLB on our roster is Thompson.

In the zone blitz package sometimes the de drops into coverage while other positions rush the qb. This is one of the attributes -- confusion in the passing lanes. Its a nice guessing game with the qb. However it does take time to implement properly.

Kampman rarely did this previously Agreed the scheme helps Poppinga.

gbgary
01-16-2009, 02:26 PM
i'm fine with him. if they like him they need to offer him the job and stop looking or someone else will get him. MM shops like a women. go everywhere, touch/smell/taste everything, can't decide.

Waldo
01-16-2009, 02:48 PM

In the zone blitz package sometimes the de drops into coverage while other positions rush the qb. This is one of the attributes -- confusion in the passing lanes. Its a nice guessing game with the qb. However it does take time to implement properly.

Kampman rarely did this previously Agreed the scheme helps Poppinga.

He did it quite a few times early in the season and in preseason, but tailed off toward the end.

I don't know what happened to Sanders playcalling, early on it was pretty good. In PS and the first quarter of the season they were using that 2 DE, 4 LB blitz on 3rd and long, that disappeared. Kamp dropped a bit with overload blitzes on the other side, that disappeared. The sneaky zone coverage that Wood was in when he got the pick 6 in Tampa was a brilliant playcall.

After the 1/4 point of the season his playcalling went way downhill. That Wood blitz against NO was one of the worst playcalls I've seen. The unbalanced line shift against Carolina, where one of their audibles and best plays is a power sweep to the weak side of that shift is even worse, as was dropping Monty into downfield coverage on Deangelo Williams.

Fritz
01-16-2009, 03:09 PM
i'm fine with him. if they like him they need to offer him the job and stop looking or someone else will get him. MM shops like a women. go everywhere, touch/smell/taste everything, can't decide.

This is how I pictured myself as a youth in bars with women.

Never worked out that way, though.

The Shadow
01-16-2009, 03:22 PM
McCarthy is reported to also be interested in interviewing Dom Perignon, reported to have a very bubbly approach to defense.

RashanGary
01-16-2009, 04:08 PM
I like the idea of hiring someone from the pats. I like it a lot. 3-4, 4-3, if it's the right guy, I'm OK.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Dom Capers that tough son of a bitch that was really tough on his players? They likened him to a drillmaster, the "Coughlin" before Coughlin was coaching the Giants. That attitude could be just what a defense which really lacked attitude and guts(not to mention talent) last season needs. That resume' isn't too shabby either.

steve823
01-16-2009, 04:19 PM
I like it but who knows whats gunna happen. They said the same thing for nolan and williams. Hopefully this time they actaully get him.

Fritz
01-16-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm still a McDermott fan, but Capers or Haslett, well, okay. Either would be better than Butter Bob Sanders. Waldo thinks this team could easily switch to a 3-4, though I'm not so sure myself.

pack4to84
01-16-2009, 05:51 PM
http://media.jsonline.com/images/28007144_threerawdata.jpg

Don Capers
Vs
Hasslett

I take Capers.

MTPackerfan
01-16-2009, 05:54 PM

Don Capers
Vs
Hasslett

I take Capers.

Agreed

Packgator
01-16-2009, 06:02 PM
McCarthy just doesn't seem to favor old guys who have worn out their welcomes elsewhere.

Probably a good trait.

Fritz
01-16-2009, 06:24 PM
McCarthy just doesn't seem to favor old guys who have worn out their welcomes elsewhere.

Probably a good trait.

McCarthy would therefore dislike about half this board, including me, who have moved over from the old JSO board.

pbmax
01-16-2009, 06:27 PM

Probably a good trait.
My avatar would like a word with you. :lol:

pbmax
01-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Dom Capers that tough son of a bitch that was really tough on his players? They likened him to a drillmaster, the "Coughlin" before Coughlin was coaching the Giants. That attitude could be just what a defense which really lacked attitude and guts(not to mention talent) last season needs. That resume' isn't too shabby either.
Capers coached tough D, but the drill sergeant was Coughlin in Jacksonville. He had everyone predicting mutiny during his first training camp.

Bretsky
01-16-2009, 06:37 PM
I'd be fine with Capers or Haslett or McDermott or Phillips; even Gray or Lewis are alright
lots of good candidates left

Hopefully MM chooses one of them

Merlin
01-16-2009, 07:19 PM

We have a RDE in Jenkins. Kamp could play LDE (he is similar to Justin Smith, the LDE for SF, who played quite good), though a little more size wouldn't hurt, he too could be traded, but he wouldn't be awful and could excel (Howie Long was 6'5" 265, Kamp is 6'4" 265). There are 2 good 3-4 DE's on the market this FA period if Kamp were to be traded, Canty and Olshansky. Jolly and Harrell would be an acceptable 3-4 DE backups right now, and Harrell could play NT in a pinch (a true backup would be a draft need though, Ron Brace?, though Raji is a Wilfork clone and he started his first year in NE on the nose). We have the 2 ILB's (Hawk, Barnett) and backups (Chillar, Bishop, Lansanah). We have the SOLB (Poppinga) but could use an upgrade. We have 2 backup WOLB's (Thompson, Hunter) but could use an upgrade, Thompson could emerge as a starting caliber OLB on either the weak or strong side.

Although I agree with most of what you said, I can't help but notice that you put Harrell as an adequate DE backup and in a pinch NT? Correct me if I am wrong here but don't you actually have to be on the active 53 man roster to play? Harrell is worth nothing, hasn't proven anything, and will never be on the field long enough to do so. He is a bust, plain and simple. We cut KGB (and I agree his contract needed to be redone) for a roster spot for Harrell. KGB at least had an upside when healthy, Harrell's only upside is that he is miraculously still a Packer. I don't see the logic of saying he is worthwhile when every step of the way he has continued to prove he isn't. Time to bring in someone else and fill his roster spot. If KGB had any gas left in the tank, he would have been an awesome OLB in a 3-4, I just don't know if he still has it anymore.

At this point for DC, I would have liked to have Bates back but I don't see that happening. Capers would be an interesting addition as I think he was a good motivator. Hasslet I don't know a lot about but it appears he would be pretty good too.

Waldo
01-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Although I agree with most of what you said, I can't help but notice that you put Harrell as an adequate DE backup and in a pinch NT? Correct me if I am wrong here but don't you actually have to be on the active 53 man roster to play? Harrell is worth nothing, hasn't proven anything, and will never be on the field long enough to do so. He is a bust, plain and simple. We cut KGB (and I agree his contract needed to be redone) for a roster spot for Harrell. KGB at least had an upside when healthy, Harrell's only upside is that he is miraculously still a Packer. I don't see the logic of saying he is worthwhile when every step of the way he has continued to prove he isn't. Time to bring in someone else and fill his roster spot. If KGB had any gas left in the tank, he would have been an awesome OLB in a 3-4, I just don't know if he still has it anymore.

Need to blow off a little steam about the hated pick?

Of course this is assuming he returns to health, which is still a possibility. Were he 100% healthy he would be taken before any DT in this draft. He does have a place in a 3-4 if he does get healthy though. We can't cut him anyway, he costs 1.7M to keep, 4.2M to cut. He'll be IRed before being cut.

Packers4Ever
01-16-2009, 10:19 PM

Hey hey hey !!! I resemble that remark ! :shock:

Now if I wanted to, I could do a darn good description

of a male shopper, sooo funnny ! :roll:

J/K :wink:

Pugger
01-17-2009, 07:48 AM

Packers4Ever beat me to it!!! :lol: :lol:

I got a little excited when I heard MM was going to interview Capers. Capers may not be the best HC in the world but he seems to have had success as a DC.

texaspackerbacker
01-17-2009, 08:25 AM

Don Capers
Vs
Hasslett

I take Capers.

WOW!

These comparative stats are amazing!

Haslett 82-110; Capers 96-112 with 30-79 the last seven years; Sanders 27-21--with the last one ruined by injuries.

I'm sure the irrational HATERS will conjure up all kinds of reasons to continue to spew hate about Sanders, but the stats don't lie.

Fritz
01-17-2009, 08:27 AM
I hate Sanders! He had funny looking ears!

RashanGary
01-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Sanders stutters. I hate him too.

Really though, Capers was on some teams with some really bad offenses (which tends to make it even harder to have a good defense) and he still had some of the best ranked defenses of anyone we've considered so far.

I obviously don't know enough to make a decision like this, but from what we are able to gather, this guy looks like he could be the real deal. I love that he coached with the hoodie the last couple years too.

bobblehead
01-17-2009, 09:22 AM

I've thought of this one too, but he seemed pretty disgruntled that he didnt get the head spot over McCarthy.

And this is the difference between the NFL and the real world. If MM were a CEO and Bates an out of work VP it would be a slam dunk.

"JIm, this is Mike. Heard you were out of work. I know you were hurt you didn't get the top job a few years back, but how about a cool million to come in and fix what your boy Sanders messed up. 4 Mil for 4 years garaunteed."

"I don't know Mike, you guys really hurt my feelings and I have no desire to make you look good. I'm thinking I'll wait around for the next guy to offer me a job and then undercut me for Bob %@#^ing Slowik."

"4 MILLION DOLLARS you dufus. Let me talk to your wife, see what she has to say!!!"

"OK OK, don't bring my wife into this, I'll be there in the morning"

wist43
01-17-2009, 09:38 AM

Nice analysis...

I'm a 3-4 advocate, but I'm not sure the Packers as an organization are ready to commit to switching.

They have some personnel that could be used interchangably in multi-look fronts, but there is still a woeful lack of talent in that front seven. Poppinga showed to be lacking in instincts, and really hasn't been very dynamic rushing the passer; and, Hawk and Barnett are fairly pedestrian in terms of providing pass rush from the LB position.

I heard LeRoy Butler prattling on about Kampman as a rush LB, but I can't see that in a 3-4. I think Kamp would have to bulk up and man down the LDE position. He's stout at the point of attack and can stack effectively, but all in all, given his salary, and what is asked of a LDE in a 3-4, he wouldn't be a good fit.

They would need to find a dynamic guy off the edge from the LB position. I haven't scouted the draft much yet, but I have seen a couple of games with Orakpo... and, he looks like he might be a good candidate as an OLB in a 3-4. At least I'm starting to look at him that way. Just a thought.

pbmax
01-17-2009, 09:44 AM
WOW!

Haslett 82-110; Capers 96-112 with 30-79 the last seven years; Sanders 27-21--with the last one ruined by injuries.

I'm sure the irrational HATERS will conjure up all kinds of reasons to continue to spew hate about Sanders, but the stats don't lie.
C'mon Tex, you are better than the Hater language! Measuring a coordinator by wins and losses is like measuring a WR by his 100 meter dash time. Sure, they are related, but there are other factors involved.

Other coordinators had injuries (including Philbin/M3) and still maintained playoff caliber performance. You cannot wait to have playoff runs until you are injury free.

RashanGary
01-17-2009, 09:46 AM
If I had to use the current Packer team in a 3-4, I would go like this:

Jolly LDE
Pickett NT
Jenkins RDE

Jeremy Thompson OLB
AJ Hawk ILB
Desmond Bishop ILB
Aaron Kampman OLB (I'd ask him to really focus on cutting weight. He's such a great pass rusher that you are incompetent as a coach if you don't put him in a position to succeed where he is best)

Harrell would be a backup DE
Raji could be drafted as a backup NT (resign Pickett, it would be nice to have two)

RashanGary
01-17-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm more than OK with the Tennessee/Eagle/Giant type version of the 4-3. I was OK with the SB Packer version too.

It's all about players. If you have shitty players the 3-4 will suck. If you have shitty players, the 4-3 will suck. 4-10 years ago, it was very easy to get 3-4 players because only a couple teams ran it. Now more and more teams are running it. It's getting to the point where 3-4 OLB's, NT's and DE's are becoming some of the highest demand, highest paid and highest drafted players in the NFL. I don't think 3-4 has quite the advantage it did a few years ago when NE and Pitt were consistantly putting out top tier defenses at a fraction of the price and drafting great players late in the draft.

gbgary
01-17-2009, 10:16 AM

when i go on a jean/shirt/shoe hunt i have something in mind and get a kill first time out. :D there's no need go looking all over the place and come home with nothing, or settle for something else, later when i saw what i wanted right away and thought i could get it cheaper or whatever.

pack4to84
01-17-2009, 10:16 AM
If we want Caper where going to have to act fast because Dallas in now interested in him.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

gbgary
01-17-2009, 10:21 AM
If we want Caper where going to have to act fast because Dallas in now interested in him.

that's what i'm saying. if MM's let his guy get away twice now, that's stupid.

pbmax
01-17-2009, 10:21 AM
A couple of things about the 3-4, Tampa 2 and their natural enemies. The WCO was designed by Walsh to beat the Steelers Cover-2 in the 70s. He was the O Coordinator for Paul Brown (a man who knew more about passing offense than anyone else at the time in Pro Football) in Cincinnati.

Remember when the 49ers scored 55 gazillion points against the Broncos in Super Bowl XXIV? That was a 3-4 team playing Cover-2 zone. The Niner coaches after the game were amazed that the Broncos changed nothing and basically said, good luck stopping this offense, which is designed to beat your coverage, when you cannot dominate physically.

Now flash backward to 1986 and the Giants are in the process of knocking Joe Montana out of the game and winning 15-2. Guess what defense the Giants were based on? 3-4 and Cover 2. Was Bill Walsh suddenly seized with a case of Rich Kotite? Did he experiment with the Run and Shoot for a playoff game?

No. Parcells and Belicheck had the ultimate tweener in Lawrence Taylor who essentially could play DE or LB. Most importantly, no matter the scheme, he stood an even chance at this point in his career of knocking the QB out of any game he played. If I am not mistaken, the Giants roasted the vaunted 49er passing offense while playing Elvis "Toast" Patterson as a starting cornerback. In addition to having one of the greatest nicknames in football, Elvis looked alot like Darren Sharper as WRs had a habit of running right past him for touchdowns.

Belicheck has often employed a hybrid 3-4, which is unlike the balanced look Waldo mentioned earlier and looks more like Shurmur's 4-3. He also would have mixed coverages so Montana could not know where he was going to go before the snap. The point is, that no matter what the depth chart says, or the jersey numbers on the field, what counts is alignment and responsibilities. And the ability to dominate an opponent physically.

As for the Tampa-2, be careful here. Even Tampa Bay and Indianapolis do not play Cover 2 much on 1st and second down. They are often in Cover-1 when they want to stop the run. Tampa-2 is for obvious passing situations. Because its a zone, its also less dangerous if you get a draw or screen, as many defenders are facing the LOS. The change Dungy made to account for the WCO short passing game was to have the CBs not play a deep drop zone like the Steelers CBs, but play the short zone and then under certain circumstances, matchup man to man. This makes slants an adventure. But it also makes an inviting target in the middle of the field for the TE, which in a WCO, was usually a good, fast receiver.

Bretsky
01-17-2009, 10:29 AM

unlikely for MM to act fast IMO

Fritz
01-17-2009, 10:39 AM

"If" is the key word. Nobody except MM and TT really knows, do they? So not getting him does not automatically mean that MM and TT have failed.

pbmax
01-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Although it might get woolly before he gets it done, in one way I am encouraged M3 is taking his time. He obviously placed too much emphasis on continuity in hiring Sanders the first go around. He has clearly come to believe he wants a more flexible style that will not rely on having two pass rushing demons.

So this is part of his learning curve. As Patler observed, it would have been far better to know what you want to complement your offense when you get hired. But I doubt that M3 is the first new HC to get the other side of the ball wrong with his first hire. The interviews will help this process, I just hope he can finish in time.

pack4to84
01-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Capers is the best option to date to be interviewed. Williams and his money and ego would be to much for TT and MM. While Nolan pride got into the way thinking since MM was the coach he was the shoe-in for DC. Didn't happen that way so he went his way. GB defense has young and old talent that keep making the same mistakes. Capers is a disciplinarian that is what this defense needs. My search would be over and Capers would be the DC by the end of today.

Bretsky
01-17-2009, 10:50 AM

"If" is the key word. Nobody except MM and TT really knows, do they? So not getting him does not automatically mean that MM and TT have failed.

I've played unknown card in defending Favre much of last off season

Do you honestly, honestly, believe MM did not want Nolan or Williams to be our defensive coordinator ?

I think these JSO guys know what they are talking about more than you give them credit for.

Bretsky
01-17-2009, 10:53 AM
On another sidenote, I will probably be fine with whoever the DC is as long as it's not Winston Moss. But I buy into a good portion of what JS is reporting

pbmax
01-17-2009, 10:53 AM

Do you honestly, honestly, believe MM did not want Nolan or Williams to be our defensive coordinator ?

I think these JSO guys know what they are talking about more than you give them credit for.
Did the Haslett interview occur before Williams made his decision?

RashanGary
01-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Belicheck has often employed a hybrid 3-4, which is unlike the balanced look Waldo mentioned earlier and looks more like Shurmur's 4-3. He also would have mixed coverages so Montana could not know where he was going to go before the snap. The point is, that no matter what the depth chart says, or the jersey numbers on the field, what counts is alignment and responsibilities. And the ability to dominate an opponent physically.

Well said.

Bretsky
01-17-2009, 10:57 AM

Did the Haslett interview occur before Williams made his decision?

I believe so, but everybody was writing that Williams preferred NO to GB before the interview

BF4MVP
01-17-2009, 11:07 AM
C'mon Coach. Get it done. Hire Capers.

Bretsky
01-17-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure if Capers or Haslett is better; Haslett has the intense persona of how I stereotype a DC

vince
01-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Do you honestly, honestly, believe MM did not want Nolan or Williams to be our defensive coordinator?
Do you honestly believe that these two came to Green Bay to be interviewed with no intention of accepting the job if offered it?

If Williams was such a slam-dunk "elite" selection, why did he get run out of town in Jacksonville? Because he took a perennial elite defense under Mike Smith, who became Atlanta's Head Coach, and made them the 21st ranked defense in the league in points given up last year. If he doesn't blow McCarthy away in an interview, there's a very good chance you pass him by. He's got some warts.

Same thing with Nolan.

I find it pretty easy to believe the Packers could pass on those two guys who are "proven" - proven to be little more than average, or worse - particularly of late.

vince
01-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Bretsky, I know you read the articles... They have PROVEN they don't know what they are talking about and they hate that fact.

Nolan: deal all but done. WRONG
Williams: holding out for TN job. WRONG

0 for 2 so far...

Then they contradict themselves, admitting they don't know what they are talking about, within the same article they make assertions!

At this point in time, it is absolutely clear that they have NO CREDIBLE SOURCES within the Packer organization. Who else but someone inside the Packer organization do you think has a clue to what is really happening inside the Packer organization? NOONE. Certaily not these guys in the media who have been bumbling their way through this whole scenario.

These guys' credibility is getting pummeled in this misinformation fiasco, and it hurts their image, readership, and future as well-paid print journalists in a declining industry. They are doing everything they can to come up with something to print - and then to cover their asses when it is proven they don't have any credible intel.

They are also likely trying to pressure McCarthy and Thompson to throw them a bone to counter their attacks and get them back on their side in their public relations attempts to capture the goodwill of Packer fandom - and may well be frustrated that Thompson and McCarthy don't play those games.

Bretsky
01-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Do you honestly, honestly, believe MM did not want Nolan or Williams to be our defensive coordinator?
Do you honestly believe that these two came to Green Bay to be interviewed with no intention of accepting the job if offered it?

If Williams was such a slam-dunk "elite" selection, why did he get run out of town in Jacksonville? Because he took a perennial elite defense under Mike Smith, who became Atlanta's Head Coach, and made them the 21st ranked defense in the league in points given up last year. If he doesn't blow McCarthy away in an interview, there's a very good chance you pass him by. He's got some warts.

Same thing with Nolan.

I find it pretty easy to believe the Packers could pass on those two guys who are "proven" - proven to be little more than average, or worse - particularly of late.

Give me a Break Vince; you are a great poster and are better than the point I bolded.

It's not like the difference in Personnel would have had anything to do with the Jags demise. Wonder why they had such a hard time defending the run :idea:

Fritz
01-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Add to all this debate the very distinct possibility that MM is, as most of us, a complex human being. He may have thought for example that he wanted Nolan. But maybe something rubbed him the wrong way, or maybe Nolan assumed he'd have more control than MM would give. So what both thought would be a slam dunk turned into a "Hmm, wait a sec." Then Denver calls, and maybe Nolan's pride is stung, so he goes. Or maybe his wife said "honey, Denver is a nicer place to live."

Who knows?

But the Packers will have a defensive coordinator by the draft. They won't go into the season with no d.c. It'll happen. And it's not as if if you don't hire a big name or one who's been coaching for twelve years there will be no one left. There are young coaches coming up all the time. The pool is not limited to guys who have been fired from head coaching jobs or who have been coordinators at three different franchises.

I trust this search is careful and reasoned. It may not be going exactly as MM had hoped (though maybe it is), but I trust he has a plan.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-17-2009, 02:21 PM
ESPN's reporting is just as bad as JSO's, about the only two i trust anymore is Schefter and Glazer. Anyone else see ESPN reporting last night that Haslett was almost a done deal to join the Pack as DC? While rumours are fun, I feel the leading sports network should atleast be reporting more concrete news.

vince
01-17-2009, 02:41 PM

Same thing with Nolan.

Give me a Break Vince; you are a great poster and are better than the point I bolded.

It's not like the difference in Personnel would have had anything to do with the Jags demise. Wonder why they had such a hard time defending the run :idea:
Bretsky, I don't claim to be an expert in defensive coordination, nor have I followed the Jag's closely. However, even I can observe that the Jag's threw Williams' ass out on the tarmac and said good riddance. Personnel or not, they didn't feel like he got the job done obviously and believe they need to improve in that area. I'm not sure if they've named a replacement yet, but Williams clearly wasn't the guy they wanted after a year of firsthand experience working closely with him at the helm.

It's awfully presumptuous, even wrong, to assume that McCarthy would automatically offer him the job.

texaspackerbacker
01-17-2009, 02:52 PM
WOW!

C'mon Tex, you are better than the Hater language! Measuring a coordinator by wins and losses is like measuring a WR by his 100 meter dash time. Sure, they are related, but there are other factors involved.

Other coordinators had injuries (including Philbin/M3) and still maintained playoff caliber performance. You cannot wait to have playoff runs until you are injury free.

Regarding selection of a new guy, maybe, but irrational HATER absolutely applies to the treatment in this forum and elsewhere of Sanders--and Sherman before him.

As for WINNING, didn't somebody once say it wasn't everything, it was the ONLY THING? A lot of you guys get very convenient about when winning is so important (like an injury-ruined season) and when it isn't (when you want to find a reason to support somebody advocating that ugly word, CHANGE--in football, of course).

Also, there is a lot of middle ground between injury-free and injury-ruined.

pbmax
01-17-2009, 02:57 PM
It was well known mid-season that Williams was going to be released from his contract. He and Del Rio had a fundamental disagreement over the defense that would be called. It was termed a philosophical difference, but as a former HC who was used to calling his own defense, Williams clearly did not want to have to clear things with Del Rio or call his suggestions.

Capers is leaving New England with some of the same issues. He is looking for a different situation and more responsibility, which is why he may end up in Denver as Dbacks coach.

rbaloha1
01-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Capers to Dallas appears realistic given prior history and 3-4 scheme.

Except for Haslett it appears the Packers may not land an experienced and proven DC. (Makes me nervous.)

The Packers may be forced to select a young unproven but with good pedigree DC. Perhaps a blessing in disguise?

pbmax
01-17-2009, 03:00 PM
There is, but if you are counting on Cullen Jenkins to stay healthy to avoid injury ruined, then you plan is flawed from the beginning. Clearly, with hindsight, T2 should have had more depth along the D line for pass rush. But that is also the most difficult thing to find, aside from a QB.

texaspackerbacker
01-17-2009, 03:27 PM
There is, but if you are counting on Cullen Jenkins to stay healthy to avoid injury ruined, then you plan is flawed from the beginning. Clearly, with hindsight, T2 should have had more depth along the D line for pass rush. But that is also the most difficult thing to find, aside from a QB.

Are you saying Cullen Jenkins was/is injury-prone? His history wasn't that bad, and I vividly recall the play he got hurt--as clear a case of freaky bad luck as you could have.

More depth would have been nice--like not having Harrell get hurt, KGB, Jolly, Pickett playing hurt, Thompson, and that's just the D Line. I'd say what we went into last season with looked pretty damn good--until the injuries hit.

pbmax
01-17-2009, 04:00 PM

Are you saying Cullen Jenkins was/is injury-prone? His history wasn't that bad, and I vividly recall the play he got hurt--as clear a case of freaky bad luck as you could have.

More depth would have been nice--like not having Harrell get hurt, KGB, Jolly, Pickett playing hurt, Thompson, and that's just the D Line. I'd say what we went into last season with looked pretty damn good--until the injuries hit.
Yes. He is definitely injury prone. He has been hampered in 2 of the last three years (prior to the current injury) to the point that it affected his performance.

Pickett definitely seemed hampered by the arm most of the season. He really got shoved around. I am not convinced that he can play the nose like that. He is not as stout as Grady Jackson.

But I do not agree that we looked good going into the season. The pass rush was already a concern in preseason. One run of the mill injury to KGB last year shut down the pass rush. Literally from 60 to 0 in 2 seconds. I agree with the Williams move, but the team had to know that they were one mild injury away (or in KGB's case, a failed rehab) from the pass rush disappearing. They had the film and they were clearly aware of it, look at all the preseason talk of updating and bolstering their blitz scheme.

pbmax
01-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Actually, let me amend my comment to change the term injury prone. I believe its an overused term. Let's restate it as Cullen Jenkins has had 3 of last 4 seasons interrupted by injuries.

texaspackerbacker
01-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Actually, let me amend my comment to change the term injury prone. I believe its an overused term. Let's restate it as Cullen Jenkins has had 3 of last 4 seasons interrupted by injuries.

There's no denying that. The cause, however, the question--freak luck or predictable?

If a guy has the same injury over and over, then it may be chronic and thus, predictable. If he keeps getting new ones--i.e. Justin Harrell's bicep and then back--then it is a helluva lot more likely that it's pure bad luck.

Packers4Ever
01-17-2009, 05:05 PM

Packers4Ever beat me to it!!! :lol: :lol:

I got a little excited when I heard MM was going to interview Capers. Capers may not be the best HC in the world but he seems to have had success as a DC.

You can have next dig, ok? :lol:
I approve of Dom Capers too, he sounds like the guy we need.

Joemailman
01-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Mortenson seems to think Capers will get the Giants DC job now that Spagnuolo has the St. Louis HC job. I kind of thought the Giants would go after McDermott. Maybe Capers going to the Giants would open the door for yhe Packers to get McDermott. Philly would probably have to lose tomorrow though because I don't think MM will wait until after the Super Bowl to fill the job.

red
01-17-2009, 10:35 PM
pft is saying that capers is the giants #1 choice

so much for that

pbmax
01-17-2009, 10:36 PM

so much for that
Not again Red! See DOM CAPER TO GET INTERVIEW thread.

Brando19
01-17-2009, 10:36 PM

so much for that

Yes, and it also says that the giants is capers #1 choice. Who the hell wants to work for McCarthy? It seems like noone. I wonder if Charles Woodson can coach the defense, too?

Partial
01-17-2009, 10:57 PM

Same thing with Nolan.

Depends. They would certainly take it given the right money and bennies. Did the Packers pony up enough to whoo them? Clearly not. I'm sure the writers know what they're talking about, as B alluded to.

MJZiggy
01-17-2009, 11:01 PM
I've never even read of a hint of the Packers offering either a contract. You have to offer the contract in order to "whoo" (I assume you mean woo) or be accused of ponying up anything.

Bretsky
01-18-2009, 12:37 AM
I've never even read of a hint of the Packers offering either a contract. You have to offer the contract in order to "whoo" (I assume you mean woo) or be accused of ponying up anything.

What will happen first

The PR community admits Green Bay offered a DC job to anybody
or
The PR community admits TT offered a free agent contract to anybody :?:

MJZiggy
01-18-2009, 08:28 AM
It gets leaked eventually...

Fritz
01-18-2009, 08:35 AM

What will happen first

or

Bretsky, the Packers WILL have a defensive coordinator next season.

And your early stance on all this seemed to be that anybody would be better than Sanders, so MM needed to "grow a pari" I think you wrote, and fire Sanders.

MM obviously fired Sanders. And the team will have a DC next season.

So unless I'm wrong that you were on the "anybody would be better than Sanders" bandwagon, what has changed for you?

MJZiggy
01-18-2009, 08:40 AM
His patience level :lol:

Come to think of it, that hasn't changed at all!!

pbmax
01-18-2009, 09:16 AM

What will happen first

or
C'mon, that Adam Vinatieri contract was REAL! :lol:

But honestly B, this search seems a lot more focused than his last one, and there are a lot fewer "Who?" or "Huh?" moments when you find out the interviewees.

And given his approach is usually steady and not spectacular, I think it is in the realm of possibility that he is still looking for the right guy. Whether he is focused on scheme, personnel or the right "fit" I don't know.

With even more established choices than last time, his job may very well be dependent on this choice. He has discovered how much he doesn't know about the D side of the ball, would you trust Mike Nolan in that case?

pbmax
01-18-2009, 09:22 AM
from PFT this morning:

The Cowboys are one of only three NFC teams, with the Redskins and Lions, who haven’t been to a conference title game since 1995. (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/011809dnspoarcher.3d4f405.html)
I am telling you, we are going to hire Wade Phillips. I think every fibre of Jerry Jones snare-drum-taut-new-face is itching to hire Shanahan or Gruden. I think his sons may be keeping the newspapers away from him or pulling the plug on the Valley Ranch cable modem. :D

MJZiggy
01-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Maybe he can't afford a new coach, what with the stadium and the economy and all.... Was he a Madoff client by chance?

Fritz
01-18-2009, 09:45 AM
from PFT this morning:

The Cowboys are one of only three NFC teams, with the Redskins and Lions, who haven’t been to a conference title game since 1995. (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/011809dnspoarcher.3d4f405.html)
I am telling you, we are going to hire Wade Phillips. I think every fibre of Jerry Jones snare-drum-taut-new-face is itching to hire Shanahan or Gruden. I think his sons may be keeping the newspapers away from him or pulling the plug on the Valley Ranch cable modem. :D

I guess though, PB, I'm reluctant to believe this cuz if it were so, JJ would already have done so - he's not exactly a reflective guy.

And if he did pull the trigger, would you want the laid-back, 3-4 guy Wade Phillips as your d-coordinator, especially if your boss, Ted, was old friends with him, and could be seen as your successor?

pbmax
01-18-2009, 10:10 AM
That's a good point about a potential rival, esp. since he interviewed for the job. But I have no doubt he can coach a mean defense. He has done it in more than one place. The only reservation I have is that in San Diego he had superior talent and in Buffalo he still had AJ Smith finding him talent. Laid back or no, his D's get it done.

Bretsky
01-18-2009, 10:32 AM
His patience level :lol:

Come to think of it, that hasn't changed at all!!

True :lol:

Bretsky
01-18-2009, 10:39 AM

What will happen first

or

Bretsky, the Packers WILL have a defensive coordinator next season.

And your early stance on all this seemed to be that anybody would be better than Sanders, so MM needed to "grow a pari" I think you wrote, and fire Sanders.

MM obviously fired Sanders. And the team will have a DC next season.

So unless I'm wrong that you were on the "anybody would be better than Sanders" bandwagon, what has changed for you?

Yes, you are right; although I did preface that later indicating if we settle for Moss I'm not sure we're any better off than Vanilla Bob.

Either way with MM out and interviewing everybody I find it incredibly unlikely GB goes back to hiring from within..........and hiring a LB coach whose until didn't play that well last year to boot.

So I'm sure I'll be happy with the DC whether it happens in January or Feb. or March :lol:

Packgator
01-18-2009, 10:42 AM
as a former HC who was used to calling his own defense, Williams clearly did not want to have to clear things with Del Rio or call his suggestions.

I think you are correct. A (potential) big drawback to hiring a former HC. One that has to be looked at closely when considering such a situation.......regardless of his resume.

Partial
01-18-2009, 11:17 AM
from PFT this morning:

I'm going to laugh if you're right. You've been on that bus for a good month now!

Packers4Ever
01-18-2009, 09:02 PM

Hmmm, maybe it's a case where he has to get permission first
to talk $$ following the interview ?? :bs:

pbmax
01-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Bretsky wins if you can believe the PFT Rumormill. Williams had a contract offer.

Fred's Slacks
01-19-2009, 06:23 AM
It's official, Capers is the man:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37807024.html

pack4to84
01-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Even though McDermott theoretically became available Sunday after the Eagles lost the NFC Championship Game, a high-ranking Eagles executive said there was no way the organization would let him out of Philadelphia.

The source said McDermott, 34, had at least another year on his contract. Therefore, coach Andy Reid would deny a request from Green Bay or any other team to interview him. Looks like last night Reid deny the Packers.

Fritz
01-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Even though McDermott theoretically became available Sunday after the Eagles lost the NFC Championship Game, a high-ranking Eagles executive said there was no way the organization would let him out of Philadelphia.

The source said McDermott, 34, had at least another year on his contract. Therefore, coach Andy Reid would deny a request from Green Bay or any other team to interview him. Looks like last night Reid deny the Packers.

Yes, this makes as much sense as any scenario tossed out there. Except wouldn't MM have gotten some indication earlier already that Reid would not part with McDermott? You can't tell me those guys don't put feelers out there and get responses from other organizations. That's my only sticking point with this theory.

Or maybe MM thought he'd get permission, signals were go, and something changed recently (Jim Johnson's health?) that caused Reid to change his mind.

But I thought Capers was hot to go to NY with Coughlin.Wonder why he jumped at the Packers' offer? I thought he and Coughlin were buds.

Bretsky
01-19-2009, 07:25 AM
Bretsky wins if you can believe the PFT Rumormill. Williams had a contract offer.

Of course he had an offer

Just preferred the Saints

pbmax
01-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Unless that high-ranking Eagles exec is named Andy Reid, that may not have been the answer. You never know. Fritz has a point about Johnson's back and age perhaps playing a factor.

HarveyWallbangers
01-19-2009, 10:08 AM
I missed his stint as DC for Miami. Update below

2006 - Miami - 5th (points allowed); 4th (yards allowed)
2007 - Miami - 30th (points allowed); 23rd (yards allowed)

In 2006, he took over as DC for a Miami defense that ranked 15th in points allowed and 18th in yards allowed in 2005.

Average rank of his defenses = 9th in points allowed and 9th in yards allowed.

If you take out his stint on a diseased Miami team in 2007, the average rank of his defenses = 6th in points allowed and 7th in yards allowed

Average rank of those defenses the year before = 19th in points allowed and 22nd in yards allowed.

Lurker64
01-19-2009, 10:54 AM

If this is true, then it might explain the timing on the Capers thing. I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but it's conceivable that after the NFC Championship McCarthy calls Philly and asks if he can interview McDermott, he is rebuffed. So since McDermott isn't going to be on the market, McCarthy hurries up and puts the full court press on Capers, signing him before Dallas or NY has a chance to.

rbaloha1
01-19-2009, 11:29 AM

If this is true, then it might explain the timing on the Capers thing. I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but it's conceivable that after the NFC Championship McCarthy calls Philly and asks if he can interview McDermott, he is rebuffed. So since McDermott isn't going to be on the market, McCarthy hurries up and puts the full court press on Capers, signing him before Dallas or NY has a chance to.

Not conspiracy -- wise move by TT and MM.

mission
01-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Just judging by Capers' track record, we can expect nothing less than a Top 5 defense this season. I'm calling it!

(and *kind of* joking, but not really... i *should* be joking ) :lol:

vince
01-20-2009, 07:14 PM

Of course he had an offer

Just preferred the Saints

Of course he did. Depends on who you want to believe I guess. That was the whole point I and (at the risk of incriminating him) Fritz were making. They may have made an offer to Williams. That was stated all along - but there was no way to know, and certainly no justification for assuming they did with no credible support for that claim, because the press was absolutely clueless throughout this process right through the end. There has been no reason whatsoever to believe what they've said when they have been so consistently wrong.

Here's what Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post says, the Andrew Brandt website who has been more consistently right - insisting that the Packers would be taking their time to find their man - than any publication throughout this process.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/01/diner-news-around-the-nfl-11/

I love the Packers fans who read our site and I love the passion they have for their team. At times, however, there seems to be some misguided anger toward Packer head coach Mike McCarthy, especially during this process of finding a new defensive coordinator. First, McCarthy decided he wanted to be a 3-4 team, and he started out looking for the right 3-4 man to run his defense. Right or wrong, McCarthy has a plan and knows what he wants; for that fundamental belief, he deserves credit. He has talked to many coaches, but the reality is that he never got to the point of offering the job to anyone. He followed the carpenter’s rule: measure twice, cut once. He took his time, and do not confuse taking time for not knowing what he wanted. At first, I believe McCarthy’s dream scenario was to hire his good friend Greg Manusky, the defensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers. Nevertheless, NFL rules prevented him from getting the chance to make that move. Manusky is under contract to the 49ers, and the 49ers would’ve had to give permission for the right to interview, which they clearly did not want to do. Once he was unable to get Manusky, which I’m sure McCarthy knew was a longshot, he went about interviewing all the other candidates and learning from their presentations if they could convince him they should be the Packers’ DC. However, what Mike did well was not buying into the perception or the names of the people. He knew what he wanted, and he made sure he got the desired results. I hear he reviewed all possible candidates and did a complete analysis of them. Often times, a coach will settle for a name or a person — and three months later feel like he made a mistake. I admire what McCarthy did, not backing off his beliefs and searching until he found the person who met his expectations.

Dom Capers will give the Packers a new scheme that will rely on the speed of the defense to make plays and force turnovers. He will need to find the right pieces on the outside to rush the passer. The most important part of Capers’ scheme is the outside rushers, and he will need to invest time and energy in finding those kinds of players.

One rumor making the rounds is that the Giants wanted Capers. Capers was never in the mix in NY, and the Giants were always going to promote from within. Why would the Giants want a coach who is a 3-4 man to run their 4-3 defense?

TT and MM can't close the deal. I'd say that, given Capers shared experience, that says more about the individual who may (or may not) have been offered a deal than it does the Packer organization.

I've been through a lot of interviews both as a head coach and as an assistant coach, and the one thing that really impressed me was from the very beginning, from the initial contact right on through to when I got home, the impression I left with and I told my wife this when I got home, I said this is a class organization. Mark Murphy called me before I came out. I had a great visit with him. You can tell how organized and how detailed people are I think by the way they handle the interview process. It was very professional all the way from when you're picked up at the airport and the accommodations and all those things. Those little things, they make an impression on me because those are the types of things that I always wanted the organizations that I was with, and having had a chance to start two organizations from scratch, that's the type of procedure that you wanted to have, a very organized approach and very detailed approach. And then even being around the facility here and see how things operate, I've been very, very impressed, and I think first impressions are always important.

GBPG, and particularly JSO, should be embarrassed for their cluelessness, misaccusations and unwarranted character assassination of McCarthy and the whole Packer organization. What an absolute joke they have been jumping to wrong conclusions throughout this process. This is the worst I've seen from them yet.

RashanGary
01-20-2009, 07:24 PM
National football post said the Packers would take their time and interview several candidates from the very start. That is exactly what happened. All evidence points to the Packers getting their guy, not the other way around.

The Packers DC job was extremely desirable IMO. A good up and coming team with a good offense and a defense with some pieces in place and complete autonomy for the coordinator. There are a couple better DC jobs out there, but none of them are open for hire. Every top DC in the league came in for an interview. That should tell you right there how they feel about the Packers job.

vince
01-20-2009, 09:20 PM
And now there's this by JSO. They must be getting heat for their missteps... Based on recent history, I'd say the Haslett information (an anonymous source claims he was offered the job now, as he hunts around the Senior Bowl for work) is highly questionable.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/37943929.html

Interesting that Williams says he backed away from the Titans because they wouldn't consider hiring his son. Nice.

Nice comments by Vonnie Holliday about Capers.

Regardless of who was or wasn't offered the job, after looking more closely at all the guys who were in the mix, I like Capers the best of them all for our situation. Hard to see why he shouldn't have been the top choice all along.

HarveyWallbangers
01-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Awesome quotes.

Williams said all nine teams with openings contacted him. And in his evaluation of each possible destination, the Packers ranked No. 1 when it came to young talent on their defense.

“From the starters to the reserves, the depth of young talent there was really impressive,” Williams said. “That was a big mark in their corner.”

Williams also felt the Packers, in the end, did very well in getting Capers.

“What an outstanding hire,” Williams said. “He's one of the fathers of defensive philosophy of football and the fire zones in the National Football League. Dom is one of the best pressure coaches in the National Football League, he's one of the best overall defensive coaches in the NFL but, more importantly, he's one of the finest human beings in the NFL. And the Green Bay community is going to love him. To get a veteran coach like that, I think that's a steal for the Green Bay Packers.”

Holliday, who played under Capers in ’06 and ’07, gave the Packers his highest recommendation: Holliday told them Capers is the coach he respected most during his 11-year career.

rbaloha1
01-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Sloppy thirds?

This is going to be interesting.