PDA

View Full Version : Everette Brown = Terrell Suggs as per Mark May?

rbaloha1
01-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Just heard Mark May make the comparison and deemed EB NFL ready as Crabtree for the underclassmen.

Impressive highlights. Maybe he is the pick. However Todd Mcshay projects the Packers selecting Aaron Maybin.

What is the skinny on Maybin?

Waldo
01-16-2009, 04:23 PM
With this being a good OT draft and a lot of the teams ahead of us needing help there, there is a darn good chance that he falls to us. The only team that I'd be worried about is Cleveland, as Brown is a better 3-4 fit than Orapko, and they need a pass rusher. But, they need a CB bad too, and almost everybody rates Jenkins higher than Brown as a BPA.

Maybin though? Jeez, he generally considered a mid second round pick. He's a little 6'4" 245 lb DE whose place in the pros is 3-4 OLB. But he's really fast and has good #'s (12 sacks, 19 TFL) in his one season starting. He's a redshirt sophomore, so quite young.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Just heard Mark May make the comparison and deemed EB NFL ready as Crabtree for the underclassmen.

Impressive highlights. Maybe he is the pick. However Todd Mcshay projects the Packers selecting Aaron Maybin.

What is the skinny on Maybin?

Maybin is supposedly the top prototypical 3-4 OLB draft pick this year. He's a convert from DE and a redshirt sophomore. I really didn't watch him play this year though, don't suppose we have any Penn. St. fans on here?

steve823
01-16-2009, 04:39 PM
you cant go by what they say though...some people say orakpo reminds them of mario williams.

im confident that tt will take the bpa as hes been amazing at drafts...with the exception of harrell

Brando19
01-16-2009, 06:43 PM
you cant go by what they say though...some people say orakpo reminds them of mario williams.

im confident that tt will take the bpa as hes been amazing at drafts...with the exception of harrell

Amazing? I wouldn't say amazing. Greg Jennings is amazing...that's about all I can think of as "amazing".

Waldo
01-16-2009, 06:49 PM
There is a professional scout that posts at another MB that I post to that described Brown somewhat along the lines of this:

Brown is a star athlete that happens to play football. Most players in the NFL are star football players that happen to be good athletes.

Suggs is the same way. He can play virtually every position on the field at least somewhat.

RashanGary
01-16-2009, 07:39 PM
I would describe Brown as a star pass rusher. He's a stud.

Joemailman
01-16-2009, 08:25 PM
If MM hires Capers, I suppose Brown becomes a real possibility as a 3-4 WOLB. Even if Capers does not switch immediately to an exclusive 3-4 alignment, Brown would have value as a pass rushing DE.

mission
01-16-2009, 09:38 PM
I hate to say it but this dude reminds me of Demarcus Ware ... he can cover too... seems to have a knack for forcing the ball on the ground.

Looks like he has a lot of room on that frame too... hmmm

Waldo
01-16-2009, 09:47 PM
I hate to say it but this dude reminds me of Demarcus Ware ... he can cover too... seems to have a knack for forcing the ball on the ground.

Looks like he has a lot of room on that frame too... hmmm

Is that bad? He had 20 sacks this year. The Packers as a team had 27.

Bossman641
01-16-2009, 09:59 PM
He's got a really nice spin move. Looks like he can do it both ways as well.

texaspackerbacker
01-16-2009, 11:58 PM
If the Packers go 3-4--Capers or otherwise, then, yeah, Brown or somebody similar is a possibility. I still doubt it though. Anybody can use a potential superstar, but any less than that, and we are pretty well stocked at the 3-4 OLB position--Popinga, Chillar, Hunter, Thompson, Bishop.

If it is 3-4, and if Thompson/McCarthy are fairly sure that Brown--or somebody else--is really something special, they could go that way. If it's just a matter of getting an adequate 3-4 OLB, we already have plenty of those.

Partial
01-17-2009, 02:37 AM

He's a stud at getting beat by Tight Ends and having teams take advantage of his poor play :lol: This guy is far more Jamal Reynolds than Peter Bouleware. I just cannot possibly understand what you can see in this guy, especially after your states team embarrassed him in every sense of the word.

Lurker64
01-17-2009, 03:30 AM
I just cannot possibly understand what you can see in this guy, especially after your states team embarrassed him in every sense of the word.

Well, if we're looking at the top DEs in this draft, you throw out Michael Johnson because nobody thinks he's going to be able to get anywhere close to realizing his (considerable) potential, and you get something like:

Floor:
1) Orakpo
2) Brown
3) Maybin

Ceiling:
1) Maybin
2) Brown
3) Orakpo

Everybody averages out to the 2nd best DE in that system, but because he's not last in any of these Brown looks (strangely) like the safest pick. Personally, I don't think highly of any of the DEs in this draft. If we're drafting DL at #9, I think Raji would be much more of a difference maker (and he plays a more important decision). There's going to be solid value at DE at #9 in the second round (I like Paul Kruger, out of Utah), that taking Brown in the top 10 just doesn't appeal to me, putting the question of "Jamal Reynolds II" aside.

packrulz
01-17-2009, 05:33 AM
If the Packers go 3-4--Capers or otherwise, then, yeah, Brown or somebody similar is a possibility. I still doubt it though. Anybody can use a potential superstar, but any less than that, and we are pretty well stocked at the 3-4 OLB position--Popinga, Chillar, Hunter, Thompson, Bishop.

If it is 3-4, and if Thompson/McCarthy are fairly sure that Brown--or somebody else--is really something special, they could go that way. If it's just a matter of getting an adequate 3-4 OLB, we already have plenty of those.
I've thought about this a lot, I hope they stay with the 4-3 defense, they just need more depth on the line so they can get a rotation going. I think Brown could easily gain 10lbs of muscle mass, I like him or Orakpo at #9, I think they'll both be good.

bobblehead
01-17-2009, 09:39 AM
TT has a board. My guess is that he takes a left tackle or defensive lineman, whichever he has highest ranked on his board. If he has none rated near this high he will take a player if he stands out big time compared to the rest, but otherwise will trade down again.

If he takes anyone other than a LT or DL you can be sure he is VERY high on that player.

Bretsky
01-17-2009, 09:47 AM

He's a stud at getting beat by Tight Ends and having teams take advantage of his poor play :lol: This guy is far more Jamal Reynolds than Peter Bouleware. I just cannot possibly understand what you can see in this guy, especially after your states team embarrassed him in every sense of the word.

Is the Badger game the only game you've ever seen him play ?

RashanGary
01-17-2009, 09:56 AM
I thought he played well in the Badger game. He took advantage of his opportunities.

The Badgers were dead set on game planning against him, but as the game went on they couldn't do only quick passes, screens and runs. When they started dropping back, he got there. They played ultra conservative up till the middle of the 3rd quarter though. Very few pass rushing opportunities. The Badgers play some boring football. Talk about a team playing not to lose.

wist43
01-17-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm just starting to look at these guys, but my initial thoughts are that I like Orakpo better than Brown at this point... at least as an OLB in a 3-4. Orakpo is more compactly built and moves better in space than Brown.

As for Brown as a 4-3 end... he has a nice spin move, and decent quickness off the edge, but I have concerns about him being swallowed up by NFL tackles. They'll be ready for that spin move. Mostly what I've seen in beginning to scout him was his beating inferior OL with moves that will be handled by NFL LT's. I wondered about his hand placement and his ability to move in space.

RashanGary
01-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Interesting take on Orakpo, Wist. With his marginal speed and burst, tackles in the NFL would have no fear of the outside rush and they'd just lock on and bury him (both in the run and pass). As an OLB, maybe he'd have a place if he could cover at all. No matter what he does, I don't think he'll be the pass rusher Brown is.

Onto Brown

The spin move, in general, doesn't seem like the most effective move. It seems to me like a player would be better off rushing hard up field, planting, slapping the OT's hands down and then sort of prying inside with a swim move that uses the OT's momentum against him. Kampman has it pretty much mastered (although no DE can win every time. One sack per game is considered superstud status). Several DE's have mixed in the occasional spin move in the NFL. It's not a move that should be used often (maybe twice per game) as it completely gives up the run and would be easy to stop if an LT knew it was coming. I still think he'll rack up a couple sacks with that move. It's a damn good spin move. He just has to set it up right and be sure not to over use it.

I thought Brown's sacks came from a variety of moves. The speed, the spin and an inside club (probably his most impressive display of hand placement and his feel for leverage). He's going to continue to improve. Kamp would be a great role model for him. Another thing about Brown, he doesn't have a super lean build like KGB. You can see room for him to grow. He has the explosion. As he grows into his body, I think he could be an all around threat like Kampman.

BF4MVP
01-17-2009, 10:43 AM

Amazing? I wouldn't say amazing. Greg Jennings is amazing...that's about all I can think of as "amazing".
Getting a franchise quarterback with the 24th pick is pretty amazing too.

RashanGary
01-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Collins, Rodgers and Jennings are all probowl type players so far. There are a lot more that could come out of the wood work as probowlers.

He's doing a good job. He needs to keep stacking successes and hopefully it all comes together for a magical run.