PDA

View Full Version : Koren Robinson

Rastak
07-06-2006, 08:36 PM
From KFFL:

I'm certainly not shocked. It's a tough thing to fight...

Vikings | K. Robinson voluntarily back in rehab
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:36:13 -0700

KSTP-TV reports Minnesota Vikings WR Koren Robinson has checked himself into a drug rehabilitation center. Robinson's agent, Alvin Keels, confirmed to 5 Eyewitness News that Robinson voluntarily entered the rehabilitation program in late June. Keels says Robinson did nothing wrong, but would not share any more details. The Vikings have not released a statement on the situation yet. If Robinson were found in violation of league policy again, he could face up to a year-long suspension.

Rastak
07-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Bizzare....now this.....

K-ROB DENIES THAT HE'S IN REHAB

There's a strange twist to our report that Vikings receiver Koren Robinson has returned to an alcohol treatment center.

Robinson has told KFAN radio in Minnesota that the report isn't true.

The player's denial creates an uncomfortable situation with his agent, Alvin Keels, given that Keels admitted to us earlier in the day that Robinson indeed entered rehab in South Carolina last month. We called Keels for confirmation after learning of Robinson's status from a league source.

Our take? Robinson had been hoping to keep the issue tightly under wraps, and his initial reaction when pressed on the subject was to deny it.

The only other possible explanation is that Keels had bad information -- but who other than Robinson's agent would be in position to know the truth?

woodbuck27
07-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Rastak I believe that the Vikings were hoping for this WR to realize his full potential. Whatever is the case, I wish him not to suffer, and for this to conclude well for the Vikings.

I felt that possibly this fella would become a Packer and I want him to be well and enabled for the best.

Rastak
07-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Rastak I believe that the Vikings were hoping for this WR to realize his full potential. Whatever is the case, I wish him not to suffer, and for this to conclude well for the Vikings.

I felt that possibly this fella would become a Packer and I want him to be well and enabled for the best.

Well, I know they put some good behavior provisions in his contract....pretty weird story right now, I guess it'll shake over the next couple days.

HarveyWallbangers
07-06-2006, 09:29 PM
I wish the best for him. I actually have him in my Madden franchise-style Internet league. I traded a draft pick for him earlier in the offseason.

AKfaust
07-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Denial is always going to be the first reaction of someone in his situation. Who me? What problem?

NewsBruin
07-07-2006, 01:02 AM
If Robinson went into rehab, then he's not denying anything, and it's a pretty ballsy move to do so if he isn't being forced to.

However, it's also a bind in that he can't be CAUGHT with anything in his system, nor even be unavailable for a drug test. I'm not sure what stage of the NFL SA program he's in, but I'm sure its enough to lose him games, and probably a roster spot, if he's held in violation.

He needs to take care of his business and then kick his agent in the junk for breaking the story.

Partial
07-07-2006, 02:00 AM
I too wish him well. I always wish he fell to us in the draft despite the personal problems and immaturity. I think a small town like GB might be just what he needs to get his life back on track

Rastak
07-07-2006, 05:43 AM
Denial is always going to be the first reaction of someone in his situation. Who me? What problem?

Yea, what motivation does the agent have for lying? Koren has lots to lie about, embarrassment, legal liability, lots of things. That level of addiction has got to be tough.

Rastak
07-07-2006, 05:46 AM
http://www.startribune.com/510/story/537712.html

Koren Robinson's agent confirmed a website report Thursday that the receiver has re-entered an alcohol rehab facility. But Alvin Keels made it clear that Robinson's decision was voluntary and he has not violated the NFL's substance abuse policy.
"Is Koren Robinson in rehab or at a rehab facility? Yes," said Keels, responding to a report that first broke on profootballtalk.com. "Was Koren Robinson drinking? No. Was Koren Robinson forced by the NFL or the Vikings to go? No. Most recovering alcoholics seek treatment through the years. He's just being more proactive than in the past."

Keels made it clear that Robinson can leave the facility at any time and expressed disappointment that word had leaked out about his client's private decision. "I feel sad that the guy is being proactive instead of staying at home, he's doing the right thing, and now that he's doing that it's a big story," Keels said. "This isn't news. ... the guy wants to go in on his own time and get some help just for coping skills because he doesn't have a lot of time off."

A Vikings spokesman said the team would have no comment on the subject. Robinson did not return calls to the Star Tribune on Thursday evening, but earlier in the day he denied the story when reached by FOX9. "Everybody has been calling me about this," he said. "That's false. I'm trying to get in contact with my agent. I don't know what's going on."

Robinson signed with the Vikings as a free agent in September 2005 after some well-documented alcohol problems he had while playing with Seattle. He was released in June 2005 by the Seahawks following an arrest in May 2005 for drunken driving.

Robinson also was suspended for four games in 2004 after violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, meaning his next positive drug test would lead to a one-year suspension.

Robinson, 26, did not participate in a training camp last summer because he was in a 28-day treatment program for alcoholism. But he proved to be a model citizen with the Vikings and made the NFC Pro Bowl team as a kick returner.

His fellow players voted him the Vikings' winner of the Ed Block Courage award, given annually to a player on each NFL team who best exemplifies sportsmanship and courage. Robinson also won the Korey Stringer Good Guy award, which is given to the most cooperative Vikings player and voted on by local reporters.

The Vikings rewarded Robinson, a free agent, with a three-year contract in March that includes $5.5 million in guaranteed bonuses. The total value could be as much as $12.7 million.

Robinson, who caught 22 passes for 347 yards and a touchdown in 2005, is expected to be the Vikings' No. 1 receiver this season. Due to be married on July 22, he checked into the facility in late June.

the_idle_threat
07-07-2006, 06:48 AM
http://www.luds.net/galeries/nelson.gif

Ha, ha!

woodbuck27
07-07-2006, 07:17 AM
This all looks good Rastak.

Good Luck ! To Koren Robinson.

Getting married, may have prompted this 'let's be prudent - wise' action?

Rastak
07-07-2006, 07:20 AM

Either the dude was havving trouble coping with the pressure or his future wife said "You got back on the sause now get off it or the wedding is off"

woodbuck27
07-08-2006, 05:04 PM

Either the dude was havving trouble coping with the pressure or his future wife said "You got back on the sause now get off it or the wedding is off"

Very possibly the second?

Any sensable man realizes that the wife RULES.

Harlan Huckleby
07-08-2006, 07:46 PM
You got to hope he gets this horrible problem under some control.

woodbuck27
07-08-2006, 07:49 PM
You got to hope he gets this horrible problem under some control.

HH .Your really a sensitive fella. Thatsaniiice.

NewsBruin
07-08-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm not sure whether one or both of y'all is being sincere, but alcoholism/substance abuse is a horrible problem, especially in the limited span of an athlete's career. It's not like you get tons of time to turn your life around while you can still pull down money, and any setback (such as being 12 months away from even being signable) makes the addiction that much more appealing.

Again, it takes some balls to get help, and I am proud of Koren risking someone's "ha ha" to prevent him being that much closer to becoming a "he could have been great, if..." stories.

the_idle_threat
07-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Don't get me wrong---I'm glad the guy is getting help. The Ha Ha was kind of an initial reaction, given that it's another problem for our rival team.

But that being the case, I disagree with shedding tears for a professional athlete who might be throwing away his fleeting chance at a million-dollar job because he can't drink in moderation. There is an element of self-control involved---especially with alcohol, which is not akin to heroin or cocaine. Teenagers have problems with alcohol and self control. Twenty-six-year-olds with this much to lose should know better, especially when they've been down that road before.

Rastak
07-09-2006, 05:30 AM
Don't get me wrong---I'm glad the guy is getting help. The Ha Ha was kind of an initial reaction, given that it's another problem for our rival team.

But that being the case, I disagree with shedding tears for a professional athlete who might be throwing away his fleeting chance at a million-dollar job because he can't drink in moderation. There is an element of self-control involved---especially with alcohol, which is not akin to heroin or cocaine. Teenagers have problems with alcohol and self control. Twenty-six-year-olds with this much to lose should know better, especially when they've been down that road before.

Actually Idle, I kinda got the joke myself...I thought it was pretty funny. I think you may be a bit off on the moderation thing though...most alchoholics CAN'T stop no matter how hard they try, hence the problem. I'm sure if they could stop after 2 they would.

MJZiggy
07-09-2006, 06:34 AM
It's just so fortunate that like all Americans with this problem, he's got millions of dollars to check himself into rehab whenever the urge to have a drink hits him and a job that will just let him take off to do it.

the_idle_threat
07-09-2006, 08:25 AM
It's my experience and belief that very few alcoholics are truly powerless over the drink ... the majority simply don't want to moderate their behavior, and are all-too-happy to let others think it isn't their fault.

Rastak
07-09-2006, 12:38 PM
It's my experience and belief that very few alcoholics are truly powerless over the drink ... the majority simply don't want to moderate their behavior, and are all-too-happy to let others think it isn't their fault.

That hasn't been my experience with the couple of people I know very well who are recovering but we can agree to disagree.

NewsBruin
07-09-2006, 04:22 PM
<<I disagree with shedding tears for a professional athlete who might be throwing away his fleeting chance at a million-dollar job because he can't drink in moderation.>>

Why not an athlete more than the guy who wanted to finish college or regain custody of his kids? Why does someone's job make them worth or not worth your sympathy? If I suddenly got paid a million dollars a year, I'd just be a millionaire with the same strengths and problems I had yesterday.

And his job "lets" him seek treatment in that it's not yet the preseason. Many jobs have insurance or leave policies for treatment. If Koren doesn't take care of this business now, then his job won't "let" him do so this fall.

the_idle_threat
07-09-2006, 11:41 PM
<<I disagree with shedding tears for a professional athlete who might be throwing away his fleeting chance at a million-dollar job because he can't drink in moderation.>>

Why not an athlete more than the guy who wanted to finish college or regain custody of his kids? Why does someone's job make them worth or not worth your sympathy? If I suddenly got paid a million dollars a year, I'd just be a millionaire with the same strengths and problems I had yesterday.

And his job "lets" him seek treatment in that it's not yet the preseason. Many jobs have insurance or leave policies for treatment. If Koren doesn't take care of this business now, then his job won't "let" him do so this fall.

In my mind, this isn't about rich vs. poor. It's about ignoring the warnings and failing to police one's behavior. Pro athletes, unlike most employees, are inundated with messages from the team, ex-players, the NFLPA, etc. regarding not going down the wrong path, and if a guy tunes it all out and still gets messed up, I'm inclined to be less sympathetic due to his stupidity.

It's kind of like, I have sympathy for people who get into car accidents, but a lot less sympathy for those who climb out onto the hood of their moving car in order to "car surf" and get into car accidents.

All that being said, I do think upon further reflection that my previous statement regarding "the majority" of alcoholics is over the top. Most alcoholics I know ... some very well ... are like that, whether recovering or not. They were aware of the problem and the solution, and for too long chose not to take the appropriate action. But my experience is not universal.

I think my larger point should have been that "powerless" is too strong a word. Some may lack the "power" to stop drinking once they start, but they DO have the power to stay away going forward, and to go back to treatment if necessary. I think the term "powerless" allows a person, if so inclined, to abdicate responsibility, and float along making more poor decisions, because "a higher power" will keep him clean. Perhaps this is less a quarrel with the addicted than it is with the standard 12-step treatment.

the_idle_threat
07-10-2006, 12:10 AM
I just read that again ... please forgive the run-on sentences! :mrgreen:

NewsBruin
07-10-2006, 12:58 AM
Certainly. This isn't the hill on which I wish to die.

Your response was very good. My experience comes less from knowing anyone who's been addicted and more from two parents who've worked in treating addictions. My reflex is to see wealth and fame as traps that create more pressure than they do safety.

I assume that a good treatment center has staff that says, "Okay, you fell off or came really close to doing so. What are you going to do about it?" In other words, not a place that excuses responsibility, but gives someone an environment that's removed from their addiction and the help to make better choices.

I just want Koren Robinson to be the best player he can be on a team that places second or worse in the NFC North.

the_idle_threat
07-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Certainly. This isn't the hill on which I wish to die.

Perhaps I am only the coyote? :lol:

I just want Koren Robinson to be the best player he can be on a team that places second or worse in the NFC North.

Deep down, I have no ill wishes for any player---friend or foe. But superficially, I can't help but crack a smile when the Vikings sign this guy to a free agent contract and next thing you know he's back in treatment. It's just their luck.

K-town
07-10-2006, 01:46 PM
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Minnesota Vikings receiver Koren Robinson knows he'll always be under scrutiny while living life as a recovering alcoholic. These last few days, however, have been a little over the top.

Reports surfaced late Thursday night that Robinson had voluntarily checked himself into a rehab facility to seek further treatment. The term "rehab facility" carries with it a certain stigma that led some to believe he could have suffered a relapse.

Nothing could be further from the truth, Robinson said Friday afternoon.

"People hear rehab and they say, 'Oh no, he has problems,"' Robinson told The Associated Press in a phone interview from South Carolina. "I'm not in rehab. I'm still doing good. I'm still not drinking. I'm still working out. I'm still Koren, the cheerful, happy guy you all saw last year."

Robinson said he did not check himself into a rehab facility and did not have a relapse. Rather, he said, he is merely attending some relapse prevention classes in preparation for the start of the grueling NFL season, which affords the Pro Bowl kick returner little time to work on maintaining his recovery.

It's standard operating procedure for Robinson, who is doing everything he can to make sure that the alcohol problems that plagued him in the past do not return.

Robinson spent 28 days in an alcohol treatment facility last year after being cut by the Seattle Seahawks for several reasons, many of which Robinson attributed to alcohol abuse. He was in the facility during training camps last season and signed with the Vikings shortly after checking out.

The 26-year-old enjoyed a storybook season with the Vikings last year, emerging as the team's most dangerous receiver and making his first trip to Honolulu as a special teamer. He was a pillar in the locker room, being voted by his teammates to receive the team's Ed Block Courage award as well as receiving the Korey Stringer Good Guy Award for his cooperation with the local media.

The Vikings rewarded him with a new three-year contract in March that includes $5.5 million in guaranteed money.

"I just want to make sure I'm good for the season before I put myself back in that lifestyle," Robinson said. "In the NFL, when you lose, you feel real down and when you win, there's a lot of celebrating. I'm just making sure I'm bulletproof and being proactive."

Robinson said the relapse prevention classes help him "tune up" his recovery efforts and "reiterate stuff so that it's fresh in my mind. I just use that so I won't put myself in predicaments that would be bad situations."

During the season, "you don't really have that to-yourself-time," Robinson said. "You have a lot going on where you can't put that stuff in your personal life on the front burner. You can't deal with it."

That's why he's seeking that little extra help now.

The young receiver reflected on his struggles often during last year's renaissance, acknowledging that they will always be with him.

"It just made me a totally different person," Robinson said. "I like how everything turned out. I'm happy. My family's good. I want that. I need that. I have to do what I can do to keep that, whether it's relapse prevention classes, talking to family, talking to friends. Whatever."

But life is good for him now. He's due to be married July 22 and will arrive at Vikings' training camp in Mankato at the end of the month as the team's No. 1 receiver.

Both Robinson and his agent, Alvin Keels, expressed frustration that his approach was made public. They see it as just another step toward maintaining his sobriety.

"Certain words were misconstrued," Robinson said. "I just didn't want anybody to see those reports and get it twisted that I screwed up. ... Tell everyone I'm still good. Everything is all right. I'm looking forward to the season, having a great year and bringing a Super Bowl to Minnesota."

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Relapse Prevention classes? Um, this is one of the worst, politically correct, double-speak phrases I've heard in awhile. I suppose they could have called the classes "sobriety maintenance." I'd prefer something a little closer to the truth: "How to Stay Sober and Keep My Job 101."

Also, bringing a Superbowl to Minnesota - does he mean hosting or playing? If he thinks that the Vikings are going to go to the big game this year, well, maybe something other than alcohol is altering his perception of reality.

Tony Oday
07-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Why rip on a guy that is actually trying to stay clean? I dont care that he is a viqueen I hope he gets his life straight and stays that way. Young and starting to be smart guy staying away from the crap that almost got him out of the NFL.

I applaud this young man. I hope he drops 15 balls against us but wish him the best in staying sober.

I agree the only way he is taking his team to the Super Bowl is to buy the Tickets from Tice :)

Partial
07-10-2006, 03:42 PM
I applaud this young man. I hope he drops 15 balls against us but wish him the best in staying sober.

here here, great post

BigDmoney
07-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Just shows how big of a grip this disease can be for some people. Here's a guy that looked like he turned that corner of his life. Came off of his most successful year professionally ending with a probowl appearence and a bright future with the vikings. I feel for guys like this but have absolutly have no sympathy for guys like Onterrio Smith and Ricky Williams. Weed is an excuse drug used by weak individuals truly have no desire to stop. The only thing "addictive" abou weed is the apparent bad decision making.

K-town
07-11-2006, 08:42 AM
Why rip on a guy that is actually trying to stay clean? I dont care that he is a viqueen I hope he gets his life straight and stays that way. Young and starting to be smart guy staying away from the crap that almost got him out of the NFL.

I agree the only way he is taking his team to the Super Bowl is to buy the Tickets from Tice :)

Not ripping on Koren really, just on the title of the class he's taking.
And I don't care if he CATCHES 15 balls against us...as long as he fumbles after each one. :twisted: