PDA

View Full Version : LT or Ryan Grant?

Brando19
01-16-2009, 07:27 PM
With the news of a possible LT release...I've been wandering if there's a snowball chance in hell of TT signing the guy. The answer is no, but who would you rather have in the backfield for the Packers? My answer is LT. Thoughts?

LEWCWA
01-16-2009, 07:29 PM
I think the only person that thinks Grant and LT are comparable is TEX and we all know how delusional he can be.

Waldo
01-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Hm, hit the wrong button.

Other. Brandon Jackson.

Joemailman
01-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Crazy as it may sound, I have to go with Grant. Not that Grant compares with LT at his best. LT though turns 30 in June and has a lot of mileage on those legs. He may have played his best football.

Cleft Crusty
01-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Grant is still a better runner than most left tackles in the league. Though some of the more athletic guys would have the power and burst to pick up that 4th and one fullback dive.

Charles Woodson
01-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Grant is still a better runner than most left tackles in the league. Though some of the more athletic guys would have the power and burst to pick up that 4th and one fullback dive.

lol, i was wondering if someone was going to say that

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-16-2009, 11:06 PM
I think the only person that thinks Grant and LT are comparable is TEX and we all know how delusional he can be.

Actually they are comparable, I would much rather have Grant. If you saw LT play this year you could tell his best days are behind him. He's 30 and only going go to get worse from here.

If you want to talk careers, than yes LT and Grant are not even comparable.

texaspackerbacker
01-16-2009, 11:28 PM

I wouldn't bet money that Grant outplays the worn down and fading Tomlinson next season--even though I think he will, but three years, probably two years from now, hell yeah, bank on it. Grant with his much less mileage will be better.

Add to that the strong probability that even in his current state of decline, Tomlinson would cost more money than Grant, and it's obvious.

The delusional people around here are the negativists that deny the reality of injuries and other bad luck being primarily responsible the ruination of last season--just like injuries ruined the 4-12 season a few years back. Delusional would be denying those.

GrnBay007
01-16-2009, 11:48 PM

Other. Brandon Jackson.

:D

I didn't hit the wrong button....only voter on "other" so far. Was thinking Jackson myself.

Bretsky
01-17-2009, 12:07 AM
LT

channtheman
01-17-2009, 01:02 AM
Ryan Grant. LT is 30 and that is really old for a RB. I do believe his best days are behind him and that Grant is probably better or at least in the same ball park right now. So to me, you go with the young gun who can only get better instead of the old guy who will only get worse.

Oh yeah, I read the topic and was like "What?! A left tackle or a Ryan Grant?" :lol:

Partial
01-17-2009, 01:05 AM
LT every day of the week. You don't play for long term; you play for today. LT was banged up this year. He's still a stud imo.

They need a leader like LT.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-17-2009, 01:31 AM
LT every day of the week. You don't play for long term; you play for today. LT was banged up this year. He's still a stud imo.

They need a leader like LT.

Sproles is better than LT at this point. He WAS a stud, WAS. I would not be willing to sit Grant for some 30 year old back coming off his worse season as a pro. Grant had better numbers than LT with an inferior line and will only better if we solidify our line.

I agree you do play for today, but you don't put Rodgers on the bench if Manning was available just because he is a little better at the present time. Just like in this example, I would not sit Grant even if LT is somewhat better at the present time. Both moves are similar and nether would make sense to me. I wouldn’t mind LT if we extremely weak at Rb and had no else to turn to. And even then I wouldn’t give much for a 30 year old back.

Partial
01-17-2009, 02:35 AM
Sproles had a big game or two this year. LT has a torn groin, thats the only reason Sproles is getting the spotlight right now.

LT is a first ballet HOF following up a legendary year with an injury plagued mediocre one. Sproles is just a guy. Nowhere near the talent of last years backup thats on the Falcons now.

I disagree with you 100%

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-17-2009, 02:43 AM
I disagree with you 100%

Thats fine. Thats the point of a open forum. To discuss and hear others points of view.

LT reminds me of Ahman Green. Old, injured, and declining. I made the mistake of wanting an old back before, but never again.

Zool
01-17-2009, 02:44 AM
Sproles had a big game or two this year. LT has a torn groin, thats the only reason Sproles is getting the spotlight right now.

LT is a first ballet HOF following up a legendary year with an injury plagued mediocre one. Sproles is just a guy. Nowhere near the talent of last years backup thats on the Falcons now.

I disagree with you 100%

He's now 2 years removed from that legendary season and declining. I just cant trust a guy with so much wear on his body.

Pugger
01-17-2009, 07:39 AM
I'd rather we spend money elsewhere. LT is gonna cost a pretty penny and he is getting a little long in the tooth. We have other issues to address than RB right now.

SkinBasket
01-17-2009, 07:53 AM

I disagree with you 100%

He's now 2 years removed from that legendary season and declining. I just cant trust a guy with so much wear on his body.

Oh Zool, there you go again letting reality taint your argument...

Not only is this a guy who's taken on 300-350 carries a year his entire career, but he's had at least 50 and as many as 100 receptions in each of those years. He might have another year or two as a moderately better than average back, but with that wear and coming off a leg injury, I'd rather watch another team try to drain the last of his life force than hoping he's better fading than Grant is coming into his prime and Jackson is as he's maturing.

ND72
01-17-2009, 07:57 AM

I wouldn't bet money that Grant outplays the worn down and fading Tomlinson next season--even though I think he will, but three years, probably two years from now, hell yeah, bank on it. Grant with his much less mileage will be better.

Add to that the strong probability that even in his current state of decline, Tomlinson would cost more money than Grant, and it's obvious.

The delusional people around here are the negativists that deny the reality of injuries and other bad luck being primarily responsible the ruination of last season--just like injuries ruined the 4-12 season a few years back. Delusional would be denying those.

I will put money down that Grant won't be our starting RB in 2-3 years.

Fritz
01-17-2009, 08:31 AM

ND, I wonder if someone (uh, not me) did a survey of who the starting running backs were for each NFL team in 2006, then who the starting running backs were for each team in 2008, if statistically that person would find that your bet would be a wise one for any team not featuring Adrian Peterson.

RashanGary
01-17-2009, 08:35 AM
I do not want a 30 year old LT. VERY VERY few running backs play past 30 at a high level and if they do it usually depends on a great OL.

No thanks. I'm happy with Grant, Jackson and whatever other young player we decide to go with. If money not an option (lets say we could get LT for a 3 year, 12 million dollar deal), I'd take him in a heart beat and start him over Grant but for what LT would command, no freaking way. Sign Jennings. He'll be good for 10 more years.

bobblehead
01-17-2009, 09:24 AM

Other. Brandon Jackson.

QFT..I get the fumbling holdout king or the used up and spent former superstar.

Gimme the young hungry guy who seems to have figured it all out AND holds onto the football. Keep the two underproducing multi millionaires.

The Leaper
01-17-2009, 10:48 AM
LT is a great back...much better than Grant right now...but he's got a lot of mileage. I wouldn't sign him to a huge deal. I'd keep Grant and spend the money on some high end OL help. I think GB is in a good position at RB right now...Grant is solid and Jackson is improving, and neither breaks the bank.

Waldo
01-17-2009, 11:11 AM

Other. Brandon Jackson.

Gimme the young hungry guy who seems to have figured it all out AND holds onto the football. Keep the two underproducing multi millionaires.

Grant runs with this weird stiff hunched over style. His center of gravity is pretty high and not over his legs (hence he falls over easy).

Jackson is so much more natural of a runner. He has much better bend (for lack of a better word) and runs really compact and low to the ground, over his legs, making his a lot harder to tackle.

He was a developmental RB (AD had almost 2x as many carried as Jackson when he got to the pros, as Jackson has had since high school) that is just beginning to find his groove with vision and patience. He has the makings of a superstar back. I didn't see what TT saw in him at first, but this season it was pretty clear, his running motion is naturally darn near perfect, and the kid is extremely fast.

Don't get too wound up about Grants contract. It is basically to pay him well to take a beating while we look for a better RB. He can be cut after any season with no cap hit, and we don't have to decide to pay him his roster bonus this year until after FA opens. We could shop around, sign Sproles, and dump Grant without having to pay his roster bonus. 95% of roster/option bonuses are due before FA for a reason. Grant gets a big premium for how ridiculously unguaranteed his contract is.

rbaloha1
01-17-2009, 03:00 PM
RG is younger and fresher. Expect a big 09 season from RG.

Badgerinmaine
01-17-2009, 07:53 PM
I'd rather we spend money elsewhere. LT is gonna cost a pretty penny and he is getting a little long in the tooth. We have other issues to address than RB right now.
I agree. San Diego sending so many signals out that they may be done with their signature player tells me they are lacking faith in him. Running back's a tough way to make a living, and these guys don't last like other positions do.

DonHutson
01-18-2009, 08:03 AM
I voted 'other.'

If we dump Grant, (and I'm ambivalent about that - he's OK at what he does, but he's also one-dimensional with no really special qualities) then I don't want a 30-year old, crippled up LT. I'd want the NEXT LT. Or at least a younger, multi-dimensional back.

I'd be pefectly OK to get rid of Grant before his big roster bonus is due, IF I saw an obvious replacement out there. But they could end up in the same situation as last year where they draft a guy high, he takes too long to develop, and then they have to scramble to find someone off the scrapheap that can play.

So likely Grant is back. I wouldn't be opposed at all to adding another RB in the draft to eventually push Grant out of the lineup.

Giving Tomlinson a lot of money at this point is a huge gamble that we don't need to take. He's the face of the Chargers franchise, and their best player since the Dan Fouts era. If they're ready to give up on him, what does that tell you about his injuries?

RashanGary
01-18-2009, 11:00 AM

Other. Brandon Jackson.

Grant runs with this weird stiff hunched over style. His center of gravity is pretty high and not over his legs (hence he falls over easy).

Jackson is so much more natural of a runner. He has much better bend (for lack of a better word) and runs really compact and low to the ground, over his legs, making his a lot harder to tackle.

He was a developmental RB (AD had almost 2x as many carried as Jackson when he got to the pros, as Jackson has had since high school) that is just beginning to find his groove with vision and patience. He has the makings of a superstar back. I didn't see what TT saw in him at first, but this season it was pretty clear, his running motion is naturally darn near perfect, and the kid is extremely fast.

Don't get too wound up about Grants contract. It is basically to pay him well to take a beating while we look for a better RB. He can be cut after any season with no cap hit, and we don't have to decide to pay him his roster bonus this year until after FA opens. We could shop around, sign Sproles, and dump Grant without having to pay his roster bonus. 95% of roster/option bonuses are due before FA for a reason. Grant gets a big premium for how ridiculously unguaranteed his contract is.

Nice post. I was also down on the Brandon Jackson pick, but watching him run this year, I saw the things you just listed. The way you described his low running style and low center of gravity is interesting. Man, he was hard to tackle. In order to get Jackson's legs out from under him, you have to wrap him up and pull him down. One hit isn't going to do it. He doesn't fall down.

I also like the idea of bringing Jackson along but putting the wear on Grant right now. I like the way Jackson runs better, but I like the way Grant runs too. It would be nice to wear on Grant all year long and then bring in a fresh Jackson late in games to finish off tired defenses.

Partial
01-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Jackson is looking ok but far from a star. LT is a million times better than either of our backs. Even at 30.

bobblehead
01-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Jackson is looking ok but far from a star. LT is a million times better than either of our backs. Even at 30.

AJ Smith has a pretty fucking good track record at assessing talent and if he thinks LT isn't worth keeping I'm gonna trust his opinion over yours, mine or anyone elses.

Partial
01-18-2009, 12:23 PM

AJ Smith has a pretty fucking good track record at assessing talent and if he thinks LT isn't worth keeping I'm gonna trust his opinion over yours, mine or anyone elses.

That's fair, but where has HE said he doesn't want LT back? LT will be back in powder blue and gold.

bobblehead
01-18-2009, 12:28 PM

That's fair, but where has HE said he doesn't want LT back? LT will be back in powder blue and gold.

Then this thread is pointless, the assumption is that he gets let go. I am saying if AJ cuts him that tells me a lot. Its alll speculation right now.

IF all things were equal and we could pay a ton for LT right now or stick with what we have I would stick. I would take LT for the same money over what we have, but that isn't an option. I also am on record as not wanting to pay a ton for a RB because they need the line to be good. For a team to succeed they need a good line, and that produces a good back automatically. I would much rather spend that kind of money on a lineman if we were going to spend it.

Guiness
01-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Isn't this the kind of thing fantasy football is for?

If it isn't, and we're talking real world here, two things occur - the 'bolts aren't in salary cap trouble (at least as far as I know) so I can't see him being on the market - unless they put him there. Given that they don't have a proven backup, if he is in play, I'd be some kind of checking under that hood.

Suspending reality again, I wonder what he would earn on the open market right now? How broken down is he? Would he find himself in Alexander's situation?

LEWCWA
01-22-2009, 09:32 PM

I would too. He isn't all that good.....LT was hurt all year and still put up decent numbers. I take this as a poll of everything being equal who is better. LT by a longshot!

Tyrone Bigguns
01-22-2009, 09:35 PM

I disagree with you 100%

Might be nice if you actually followed football. LT is two years removed from the legendary year. Last year he rushed for 1400 yards...hardly legendary.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-22-2009, 09:37 PM
I would bet on LT returning to form..and if he doesn't...it still will be at Ryan Grant level.

Plus, LT, even at his worst is 10 times the receiver grant is.

LEWCWA
01-22-2009, 09:37 PM
amen

digitaldean
01-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Voted other.

I'd like to see RG be the guy, but I'm just not feeling that solid about him.

LT may have a great 2009, but the stats show 30 is the beginning of the end for RB productivity. Lots of mileage on those legs.

Could there be a 1-2 punch of LT and RG? Yeah, it could happen, but not with the pricetag LT would bring.

KYPack
01-22-2009, 09:50 PM

I thought the LT meant left tackle, also.

We live in a TLA world.

Partial
01-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Anybody see the comments from the dickhead GM over in SD? What a cock bag dissrespecting a guy like Tomlinson (who was being a class act, btw).
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/01/22/chargers-gm-a-j-smith-mocks-ladainian-tomlinsons-hearfelt-blog/

digitaldean
01-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Between his tiff with Schottenheimer that got Marty canned and now this?

Yeah, not the guy to give you the warm, fuzzy feeling, is he?

Freak Out
01-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Man...that's tempting..LT can do it all...but how many times have we seen that guy pouting on the sidelines in the past?

texaspackerbacker
01-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Allow me to propose a trade.

Tomlinson for Marian Barber straight up. LT is originally from Waco, a hundred miles south of Dallas.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-23-2009, 04:59 PM

Tomlinson for Marian Barber straight up. LT is originally from Waco, a hundred miles south of Dallas.

Once again proving why nobody in their right mind would hire you as a gm.

texaspackerbacker
01-23-2009, 07:03 PM

Once again proving why nobody in their right mind would hire you as a gm.

Just out of curiosity, who are you claiming gets the worst end of that trade?