PDA

View Full Version : Peppers asks Panthers for his release

Brando19
01-16-2009, 10:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3839736

I doubt he gets it, but we need to swoop that sum bitch up!

gbpackfan
01-16-2009, 10:44 PM
He actually isn't asking for his release. He is scheduled to become a free agent in a couple weeks so he doesn't need his "release." He just doesn't want to be franchised. This is always about money. He wants a long term deal, the last one of his career probably. If Carolina comes up with a boat load of money, his career development would be just fine as a Panther.

steve823
01-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Since jenkins is great at end and tackle if we can either get peppers or haynesworth are dline is \going to be great...you never kno guys it might happen

channtheman
01-17-2009, 12:41 AM
Thompson went out I think after the 4-12 season and picked up a veteran CB named Charles Woodson (you may have heard about him) that turned out to be a great FA move for this team. Hopefully TT does it again this season for Peppers. Dang! That would be freaking awesome!

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-17-2009, 01:39 AM
I would love to get Peppers, but we don’t have a much cap as people think and we have a lot of young guys that are making peanuts and need big time raises. Jennings, Collins, and Collegde may all need 5 million plus salaries before you know it. That’s not even taking into account Splitz, Kampman, and a few others.

rbaloha1
01-17-2009, 02:07 AM
Sign him brother!

ND72
01-17-2009, 08:06 AM
I would love to get Peppers, but we don’t have a much cap as people think and we have a lot of young guys that are making peanuts and need big time raises. Jennings, Collins, and Collegde may all need 5 million plus salaries before you know it. That’s not even taking into account Splitz, Kampman, and a few others.

for a guy like peppers, you figure something out. Talk to some of the other players and get pay cuts. Collegde won't demand 5 million dollars, Jennings yes, Collins eh, maybe, but I don't think we have to spend as much money in house as thought.

bobblehead
01-17-2009, 09:31 AM

Always love the logic of the pro athlete.

"um sir, I know that it only hurts you and benefits me, and only an idiot would do something like that, but would please not tag me so I can get paid and you can suffer the wrath of your fans."

edit: Did I read that right...17 million to tag him?? How is that possible, isn't the tag the average of the top 5 DE's?? I would guess that to be closer to 11-13 million.

Waldo
01-17-2009, 11:47 AM

Always love the logic of the pro athlete.

"um sir, I know that it only hurts you and benefits me, and only an idiot would do something like that, but would please not tag me so I can get paid and you can suffer the wrath of your fans."

edit: Did I read that right...17 million to tag him?? How is that possible, isn't the tag the average of the top 5 DE's?? I would guess that to be closer to 11-13 million.

Or 120% of their previous year's salary, the one that applies in this case.

digitaldean
01-17-2009, 12:50 PM
If we could get him, I'd be happy.

But wouldn't this have a bearing if we were switching to a 3-4?

steve823
01-17-2009, 01:02 PM
yes..because he wants to go to a 3-4 defense to "maxmize his ability" lol

RashanGary
01-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Interesting.

Fritz
01-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Will the Panthers try a franchise-and-trade thing?

How many teams will be seriously interested? Will a team that runs a 4-3 be off Peppers's list?

Hmmm.

Bretsky
01-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Panthers would be morons not to franchise him; that shuts him up and if they don't want him they trade him for a first round pick plus

digitaldean
01-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Damn right, B.

If he wants out of Dodge so bad anyway, who cares if he gets pissed off? Might as well make some coin off him in picks.

That being said, though I would want him in GB, there's no way in HELL TT would part with multiple picks (especially #1's) for Peppers.

Fritz
01-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Well, if Allen is worth a 1 and two 3's, what would Peppers fetch?

Rastak
01-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Well, if Allen is worth a 1 and two 3's, what would Peppers fetch?

About the same would be my guess.

Peppers age 29 (in a couple days)
105 games 70.5 sacks

Allen age 26 ( 27 in the spring)
77 games 57.5 sacks

rbaloha1
01-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Its not worth the picks. Great player but inconsistent performer.

Waldo
01-17-2009, 03:43 PM
If they franchise and trade Peppers, they will lose Gross for nothing.

They do not have the cap space to both franchise Peppers and sign Gross, they absolutely positively must lose one or the other, and there is no way that they can get compensation for the one that gets away. They simply don't have the cap space to sign one and franchise the other.

If Pep is making a stink now, he wants to be the one to go. Carolina will franchise Gross instead if they can't sign him before the tag is due.

Rastak
01-17-2009, 03:51 PM

They do not have the cap space to both franchise Peppers and sign Gross, they absolutely positively must lose one or the other, and there is no way that they can get compensation for the one that gets away. They simply don't have the cap space to sign one and franchise the other.

If Pep is making a stink now, he wants to be the one to go. Carolina will franchise Gross instead if they can't sign him before the tag is due.

That's why Delhomme is likely gone and Gross will likely be signed.

Fritz
01-17-2009, 03:53 PM
So are folks ready to ditch the 4-3 and switch to a 3-4 on the outside possibility that Julius Peppers might sign with the Packers?

Waldo
01-17-2009, 04:00 PM

That's why Delhomme is likely gone and Gross will likely be signed.

And their QB is?......

Jake isn't exactly an expensive QB, their backup is pretty awful, and they lack a 1st round pick. Jake is darn near a can't cut unless they plan on looking to Harrington or someone of that caliber.

Waldo
01-17-2009, 04:05 PM
So are folks ready to ditch the 4-3 and switch to a 3-4 on the outside possibility that Julius Peppers might sign with the Packers?

What is wrong with doing at anyways?

So that we have a better shot of winning next year? IMO it is a better long term plan for us to switch. Of the 10 3-4/hybrid defenses, 1 finished in the bottom half of the league in run D (ypc) in '08, Cleveland.

Fred's Slacks
01-17-2009, 04:11 PM

Either way, I'd take the guy they let go.

Looks like a mistake by Carolina management, letting two key player's contracts come up in the same offseason.

rbaloha1
01-17-2009, 04:21 PM

Looks like a mistake by Carolina management, letting two key player's contracts come up in the same offseason.
Agreed. Either one helps the Packers.

LL2
01-17-2009, 04:40 PM

Agreed. Either one helps the Packers.

It would be awesome if TT signed one of them...which would allow TT to use the #9 pick on a different player...not going to happen though.