PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln/Seward, Obama/Hillary

texaspackerbacker
01-17-2009, 08:46 AM
I just heard some guy talking on TV who wrote a book called "Lincoln in Peoria" who was describing similarities of Lincoln and William Seward with Obama and Hillary Clinton.

Both Hillary and Seward were favored to get their party's nomination; Both were senators from New York; Both were beaten for the nomination by a young upstart from Illinois with a fairly radical agenda--Lincoln and Obama; Both were chosen as Secretary of State by Lincoln and Obama respectively.

We all know how the Lincoln story ends ........

BTW, Seward's biggest claim to fame, of course, is buying Alaska from the Russians. Do you suppose Hillary will try to sell it back to them? That might be the Dem solution to stopping Sarah Palin.

bobblehead
01-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Discounting the possibilities other than him losing he won't win a second term. Its hard for a liberal to beat a conservative in a national election and I doubt the GOP puts another McCain atop the ticket.

sheepshead
01-17-2009, 10:00 AM
I don't have a real crystal ball on this. One think I know for certain, Mr. Obama will begin his 2012 campaign on Wednesday.

Harlan Huckleby
01-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Discounting the possibilities other than him losing he won't win a second term. Its hard for a liberal to beat a conservative in a national election and I doubt the GOP puts another McCain atop the ticket.

Why didn't a conservative (as you define it) win in the REpublican primaries?

I was just talking to somebody last night about what an awful candidate McCain was. Not because of his ideology or even personality, but his age. There must be 10,000 people in the country qualified to be president, can we find people under 70? No disrespect to old people, plenty of people hum along just fine in those years, but there is always such a risk.

sheepshead
01-17-2009, 11:50 AM
John McCain is a great man. A very poor candidate. The conservatives in the primary were not very good candidates either. Unfortunately, that's the nature of politics today. (couldn't be more evident this week)

We have a few years for the right person to emerge.

HowardRoark
01-17-2009, 04:19 PM
If Obama is smart, and I think he is, he will do very little the next few years.

The economy will come back and be in an expansion mode by the next election. Iraq, because of Bush policies, will be (has been) a success. The troops will be home. Barack can just sit back and do “big” things like the V-Chip and whatnot and let the country work its way through this cyclical downturn. By the time the next election comes around he can just smile and tell everyone how great things are compared to when he took over.

Do you notice how Biden is talking down the economy? Oh golly, things even look worse than we thought…..this could last a real long time. Just like when the airlines tell you how late they will land and somehow they always arrive early.

Seashells and balloons.

Badgerinmaine
01-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Unless the economy takes a significant downward turn during your term in office--as happened to Jimmy Carter and George HW Bush--it is very hard to beat an elected incumbent president ruinning for re-election. The impeachment and conviction possibility is very low. Obama's health (other than whatever effects his smoking have had) is apparently excellent; he and W may be the two most physically fit presidents we've ever had back to back. Any president faces a risk of assassination, Obama probably more than most, but the Secret Service does a darned fine job and has been aware of the risks to Obama for a long time. If I were forced to bet right now, I would lay better than even odds that Obama will make it through 8 years.