PDA

View Full Version : On Cory Rodgers - DRAFT DAY STEAL MAKES A DEAL

woodbuck27
07-06-2006, 09:39 PM
DRAFT DAY STEAL MAKES A DEAL
By Oz Davis / realfootball365.com

Cory Rodgers' inaugural season with the Green Bay Packers may now resume, thanks to a plea bargain with Tarrant County, Texas, prosecutors. As in the disturbing tendency among today's athletes to splash their name in the newspaper's police blotter headlines, Rodgers has marred his résumé with his participation in a shooting incident in Fort Worth, Texas.

The May incident that landed Rodgers in a Lone Star county court has been called "a scuffle," "a brawl" and "a rumble" by various media, with a USA Today column claiming that it began with Rodgers refusing to sign autographs and/or buy a round of drinks. The Packer prospect was at a nightclub in the Fort Worth Stockyards National Historic District with two players from Rodgers' alma mater, Texas Christian University, when the hoedown went down with fifty to sixty involved in fisticuffs.

Rodgers was arrested on charges of unlawfully carrying a firearm and discharging a firearm. According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the plea bargain arrived at with Lone Star authorities involved dismissal of the latter charge, fifteen months of probation and eighty hours of community service. No punishment has been handed down by either Green Bay or NFL front offices as of yet.

The unfortunate incident marked what has been a nearly flawless three months for Rodgers, who had never been labeled a discipline problem in his university days.

The selection of Rodgers in the fourth round was proclaimed a steal by many pundits and the Green Bay Packers brain trust forecast early that he would be getting playing time on special teams at least: Rodgers is the TCU record holder in return yardage. He has continued to impress since workouts began with his speed and on-field maturity, nearly solidifying a spot on the 2006 Pack.

Now, Rodgers has added impetus. As part of the plea deal, Rodgers may forego reporting regularly to a probation officer if he makes the Packer roster. Should Rodgers remain incident-free for a year and a half, the charges will be removed from his record. And hopefully for this wideout, these headlines won't be the type of news he'll be making forever.

packer4life
07-06-2006, 09:50 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't all the press on this guy concerning the fact that he dropped a lot of kicks in OTAs and didn't look strong as a receiver either?

gbpackfan
07-06-2006, 09:53 PM
I was all over Rodgers in my OTA "reports." However, I never got a chance to see him in "live action" returning kicks and punts. I cant wait for the first preseason game!

woodbuck27
07-06-2006, 09:54 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't all the press on this guy concerning the fact that he dropped a lot of kicks in OTAs and didn't look strong as a receiver either?

That is what I thought I was reading also. I also thought those same complaints came out of his performance in college, particularly negative remarks on his not hanging onto the ball and being slender.

I'm going back to do my homework on his game in College.

Fosco33
07-06-2006, 10:21 PM
I was all over Rodgers in my OTA "reports." However, I never got a chance to see him in "live action" returning kicks and punts. I cant wait for the first preseason game!

I'll be up close to the action in San Diego for that :D

MJZiggy
07-06-2006, 11:21 PM
FINE!!! RUB IT IN!!! :cry:

Fosco33
07-06-2006, 11:30 PM

Hehe... I'm just excited. I've spent the better part of the last two days buying tickets for this preseason game, at SF and Favre's potentially last home game vs the Vikes. Total cost = totally worth it!

GrnBay007
07-07-2006, 12:07 AM

Hehe... I'm just excited. I've spent the better part of the last two days buying tickets for this preseason game, at SF and Favre's potentially last home game vs the Vikes. Total cost = totally worth it!

I saw on ebay tickets for the Packer/Viking game are going for $750 for two.....of course advertising it's Favre's last home game.

Fosco33
07-07-2006, 12:10 AM

I saw on ebay tickets for the Packer/Viking game are going for $750 for two.....of course advertising it's Favre's last home game.

You can get 'em cheaper on stubhub.com although I'm still looking on ebay.

woodbuck27
07-07-2006, 07:03 AM

I saw on ebay tickets for the Packer/Viking game are going for $750 for two.....of course advertising **it's Favre's last home game.

GrnBay007:

I am hoping . . . NOT.

woodbuck27
07-07-2006, 07:05 AM

Way to go Fosco33. You are a fortunate soul.

Ed.

KYPack
07-07-2006, 08:09 AM
This guy does look like he could be a goof.

I hope he makes it, but "bad hands" seems to be the label this kid's' gonna earn.

woodbuck27
07-08-2006, 04:55 PM
This guy does look like he could be a goof.

I hope he makes it, but "bad hands" seems to be the label this kid's' gonna earn.

Cory. Catch - the danm ball. :mrgreen: