PDA

View Full Version : Who will the Packers draft at #9 (your top 5)

RashanGary
01-17-2009, 09:32 AM
1. Jason Smith (he's likely to be there and looks like a really good player at a position of great need)

2. Everette Brown (I think he's a stud, even though everyone has him scouted out based on the all telling height/weight relationship of his 21 year old developing body)

3. BJ Raji (He'll probably be there and we all know how TT feels about fat guys that can move.)

4. Eugene Monroe (likely gone, but I think we'd draft him in a heart beat if he were there.

5. Michael Oher (Uber talented big guy)

I'll do something like Lurkers "top 10 in the draft" except this will be "who do we pick". We'll see how close PR can come to predicting the unpredictable.

Waldo
01-17-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm not so sure that LT is as big of a need as it is made out to be. The coaches have to decide if a guy is 100% surely better than Colledge, since they know what they have in Colledge, and I have read several times that they feel that he is a better LT than LG. He is definitely 10x the run blocker Clifton is and every bit as athletic.

The reason I say this is if Colledge is moving one spot over in his future, no other position on the line is worth a top 10 pick, and Colledge can move over there relatively cheap for the position if he signs this offseason. Remember too that Clifton has a big roster bonus (2M). A top 10 OT is expected to start his rookie year. We'd have to fail to pay Clifton his roster bonus (thus cutting him) prior to the draft and would go into the draft with no LT. A guy like Unger in the second, who is a 5 position lineman (Colledge is a 4) is a great replacement for Colledge. He can play LT (and has before) but probably won't excel at the pro level like Colledge can there, but he's stronger and better built to play all 4 of the other positions better, while still very athletic.

My top 5:

1) Brown
2) Raji
3) Orapko
4) Jenkins
5) J Smith

pack4to84
01-17-2009, 11:48 AM
My top 5:

1) Oher
2) Monroe
3) Raji
4) Jenkins
5) Maualuga

bobblehead
01-17-2009, 08:20 PM
I've said it before, TT will draft an LT or DL. If none are there at 9 that he thinks are worth the 9 he will move down. The only exception would be if someone he thinks is hands down better than anyone left is still available, then he would take that player regardless of position.

I've seen mocks putting Brown to the pack....no way a talent like him slips to 9.

mission
01-17-2009, 08:38 PM
I agree on Moreno... been saying that, but I just don't think there's enough need there. if we can scoop DL via FA (FA begins before the draft right?) then it wouldn't be a reach to place Moreno there. The kid has a very pro style and would be a huge threat out of the backfield.

Regardless,

1. Brown
2. Raji
3. Moreno
4. Maualuga
5. Jenkins

b bulldog
01-17-2009, 08:46 PM
jENKINS IS AN INTERESTING PROSPECT. If he can run, he will go early but some think he doesn't have the spped to play corner and may be a S in the NFL.

packers11
01-17-2009, 08:47 PM
jENKINS IS AN INTERESTING PROSPECT. If he can run, he will go early but some think he doesn't have the spped to play corner and may be a S in the NFL.

speaking of cornerbacks... To bad DRC didn't fall to us last year in the draft, he looks amazing as a rookie..

The Shadow
01-17-2009, 09:05 PM
I expect the Pack will draft an offensive tackle.

Brando19
01-17-2009, 09:18 PM

speaking of cornerbacks... To bad DRC didn't fall to us last year in the draft, he looks amazing as a rookie..

I wanted Brandon Flowers over DRC. That kid's a beast.

Partial
01-17-2009, 11:25 PM
I agree on Moreno... been saying that, but I just don't think there's enough need there. if we can scoop DL via FA (FA begins before the draft right?) then it wouldn't be a reach to place Moreno there. The kid has a very pro style and would be a huge threat out of the backfield.

Regardless,

1. Brown
2. Raji
3. Moreno
4. Maualuga
5. Jenkins

Come on, you know more about fb to jump on the Brown bandwagon. That guy is only ok.

Partial
01-17-2009, 11:26 PM

Homer :lol: How is he doing so far? DRC looks a lot like his cousin.

mission
01-17-2009, 11:28 PM

Regardless,

1. Brown
2. Raji
3. Moreno
4. Maualuga
5. Jenkins

Come on, you know more about fb to jump on the Brown bandwagon. That guy is only ok.

The kid plays inside too, uses his hands really well ... I don't know, the FSU connection makes me very hesitant but let's be honest, that stuffs really BS and someone has to break the streak. Raji I think is a real safe pick but better around 13-16. Moreno has the most potential but it's least proven...

Bretsky
01-18-2009, 12:40 AM

Brandon Flowers had a stellar season

Scouts.com rated him the 9th best CB in the NFL last year

DonHutson
01-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Assuming Curry and Jenkins are off the board:

1. Jason Smith (LT) Baylor

2. Eugene Monroe (LT) Virginia

3. Everette Brown (DE) Florida State

4. Brian Orakpo (DE) Texas

5. Micheal Oher (RT, maybe LT) Ole Miss

Assuming we have a DC by April, if we switch to a 3-4 I might inlcude Aaron Maybin on the list, though I'm wary about his lack of experience.

Moreno intrigues me also. He'd be a close #6.

Brando19
01-18-2009, 08:58 AM

I'm pretty sure he was gone by the time we picked last year, but it would have been nice to have him in Green and Gold.

red
01-18-2009, 09:09 AM

I'm pretty sure he was gone by the time we picked last year, but it would have been nice to have him in Green and Gold.

don't get me started

he was there when we had our original pick

i thought it was a lock that we would take him, then TT traded down and we missed out on him

Brando19
01-18-2009, 09:26 AM

don't get me started

he was there when we had our original pick

i thought it was a lock that we would take him, then TT traded down and we missed out on him

:lol: , sorry...my brain must have tried to block that out. Another miss by TT. Everyone that says he has had amazing drafts are smoking crack.

Bretsky
01-18-2009, 10:29 AM

NOPE

Those of us in the draft thread touting him when it was our pick will remember otherwise

bobblehead
01-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Are you all the same geniuses who went "WHO THE FUCK IS THAT" when TT drafted Jennings??

Face it, no one is perfect on prognosticating NFL talent, but TT's drafts match up to anyones in the last 4 years. To say otherwise is foolish. How many of you liked the Hawk pick at the time?? I didn't, but I don't like taking linebackers in the top 10. I work with a guy who follows the pack and he was ALL OVER Hawk at the time, now he cites it as evidence that TT messes up his first round picks.

How many draft boards ya think are bitching...I wanted Aaron Rodgers when we picked XX a few years ago!! I can think of one that isn't....OURS!!!!

DonHutson
01-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Flowers would have been a good pick. But had we picked him, he likely would've been #3 or #4 on the depth chart all year, and we still wouldn't know for sure what we really had in the guy. Not unlike the situation we're in with Nelson. He had a few good moments, but until he gets a bigger opportunity, we don't know for sure how good he'll be.

A lot of things have to come together for a great rookie season. A guy needs talent, that talent needs to be recognized by the coaching staff, the guy needs to be a quick study with a lot of confidence, and the roster needs to play out in such a way that the rookie gets a chance to play.

Flowers may very well be a great player for years to come, but a big rookie season doesn't always correlate to a great career. Rookie of the Year awards and All-Rookie teams are full of flameouts.

packrulz
01-19-2009, 05:29 AM
1. Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest. Might go to a 4-3 defense.
2. Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois. Big & fast top 10 CB.
3. Malcom Jenkins, CB, Ohio State. Also a great CB.
4. Eugene Monroe, LT, Virginia. He might slip to 9, must protect ARod.
5. Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas. He might still be there, him or Everette Brown would be great!
NFLdraftcountdown has a new mock with the Packers taking Orakpo: http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

Badgerinmaine
01-19-2009, 08:07 AM
To give an idea of what might be there at #9--here's a list of the #9 picks in the draft since 1995:
1995 NY Jets, Kyle Brady, TE, Penn State
1996 Oak. Rickey Dudley, TE, Ohio State
1997 Ariz. Tommy Knight, CB, Iowa
1998 Jax. Fred Taylor, RB, Florida
1999 Det. Chris Claiborne, LB, Southern Cal
2000 Chi. Brian Urlacher, LB, New Mexico
2001 Koren Robinson, WR, NC St.
2002 Jax. John Henderson, DT, Tennessee
2003 Minn. Kevin Williams, DT, Okla. St.
2004 Jax. Reggie Williams, WR, Washington
2005 Wash. Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn
2006 Det. Ernie Sims, LB, Fla. St.
2007 Miami, Tedd Ginn Jr., WR, Ohio St.
2008 Cin. Keith Rivers, LB, Southern Cal

I was a little surprised to see no QBs and only one RB on the list.

red
01-19-2009, 08:37 AM
the possible switch to the 3-4 might change everything

orakpo would be out of the picture IMO

brown might have moved up to our to prospect

and if not him, aaron maybin has been shooting up the draft boards, seems a lot of people think he's the perfect 3-4 olb

seems to me like in a 3-4 that outside pass rushing lb is one of the most important pieces. and its the one piece we don't have. but we can draft that type of player right off the bat

TennesseePackerBacker
01-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Well now that we know we're running a 3-4 defense this list is a bit easier.

1. Aaron Maybin DE, Penn St. - Projects in the DeMarcus Ware mold of 3-4 OLB converts.
2. Everette Brown DE, Florida St. - Another speedy DE that will probably be a 3-4 OLB.
3. Jason Smith OT, Baylor - Top projecting LT that fits best in to the ZBS.
4. Rey Malaugla(sp?) MLB, USC- Would be a tremenedous fit inside in a 3-4 D.
5. Oher/Monroe - I've got the other two mammoth tackles here as I just don't see any more value besides these two at pick #9. I'm not sold on either VD or Malcolm Jenkins, the Big 11 is weak and is nowhere near the competition players from the SEC/Big 12/ and PAC-10 have faced in their college careers.

red
01-19-2009, 03:14 PM
how great would it be to get luga in the first and tyson jackson in the second?

de-jackson
nt-picket
de-jenkins

olb-barnett/pop/chiller
mlbs-hawk-luga
rush olb-kampman

thats a solid looking front 7

TennesseePackerBacker
01-19-2009, 03:28 PM
how great would it be to get luga in the first and tyson jackson in the second?

de-jackson
nt-picket
de-jenkins

olb-barnett/pop/chiller
mlbs-hawk-luga
rush olb-kampman

thats a solid looking front 7

Two rookie first year starters on a new defense is scary sounding stuff. Let's hope it doesn't have to be that drastic. I also suspect Jackson will be a mid to late first rounder, doubt we have a shot in the 2nd.

mission
01-19-2009, 05:07 PM
You gotta feel Maualuga just shot up our draft board and E.Brown remains already close to the top. Both of these guys will be good fits. I really think we're going to be adding 3-4 new LBs at various talent levels and letting them fight it out. The 3-4 puts a new focus on LBs and we're going to need depth too... Hawk and Barnett I think are perfect for it... Barnett on the outside is probably going to create some turnovers.

I'm excited (and will probably change my mind on the draft 23 times) :D

steve823
01-19-2009, 05:27 PM
wow this is great...imo 3-4 is better then 4-3. You can disguise stuff better and especially for us hopefully we can finally get some pressure :P

the press conference made my week

Partial
01-19-2009, 06:45 PM
You gotta feel Maualuga just shot up our draft board and E.Brown remains already close to the top. Both of these guys will be good fits. I really think we're going to be adding 3-4 new LBs at various talent levels and letting them fight it out. The 3-4 puts a new focus on LBs and we're going to need depth too... Hawk and Barnett I think are perfect for it... Barnett on the outside is probably going to create some turnovers.

I doubt they go OLB. They have the Hunter and Thompson guys to play the back-up spots, and I'm sure they're alright with those two, chillar, and Poppinga. They've got a lot of guys who could potentially be good enough.

I see them going corner, despite my man crush on Rey Maulaluga. They'll take Jenkins if he is there, as Capers is known for the zb and Al can't play z to save his a.

rbaloha1
01-19-2009, 07:42 PM

1. Aaron Maybin DE, Penn St. - Projects in the DeMarcus Ware mold of 3-4 OLB converts.
2. Everette Brown DE, Florida St. - Another speedy DE that will probably be a 3-4 OLB.
5. Oher/Monroe - I've got the other two mammoth tackles here as I just don't see any more value besides these two at pick #9. I'm not sold on either VD or Malcolm Jenkins, the Big 11 is weak and is nowhere near the competition players
from the SEC/Big 12/ and PAC-10 have faced in their college careers.

List makes sense. Maybin is the right size for an olb. Mark May compared to Suggs and mentioned as having the quickest first step in college football.

Unsure if Brown is capable of playing olb. Definite speed rusher.

Rey would be very good next to another good ilb and Pickett.

mission
01-19-2009, 07:44 PM

5. Oher/Monroe - I've got the other two mammoth tackles here as I just don't see any more value besides these two at pick #9. I'm not sold on either VD or Malcolm Jenkins, the Big 11 is weak and is nowhere near the competition players
from the SEC/Big 12/ and PAC-10 have faced in their college careers.

List makes sense. Maybin is the right size for an olb. Mark May compared to Suggs and mentioned as having the quickest first step in college football.

Unsure if Brown is capable of playing olb. Definite speed rusher.

Rey would be very good next to another good ilb and Pickett.

Ya I never pictured Rey outside... he can be one of those 265 MLBs easy

Joemailman
01-19-2009, 08:34 PM

I doubt they go OLB. They have the Hunter and Thompson guys to play the back-up spots, and I'm sure they're alright with those two, chillar, and Poppinga. They've got a lot of guys who could potentially be good enough.

I see them going corner, despite my man crush on Rey Maulaluga. They'll take Jenkins if he is there, as Capers is known for the zb and Al can't play z to save his a.

Actually, I think Tramon Williams is a much better zone player than Harris. It will be interesting to see how that situation develops. My guess is Cleveland will take Jenkins anyway.