PDA

View Full Version : Clemens, Favre; headed for disaster or bound for glory

woodbuck27
07-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Clemens, Favre; headed for disaster or bound for glory

By Matt DeWalt / weatherforddemocrat.com

Roger Clemens has returned to the Houston Astros for the 2006 Major League Baseball season and has picked up two losses in his first two starts. The losses are no fault of Clemens, as once again the Astros are failing to provide run support when he is on the mound. This was the case against the Detroit Tigers in a 4-0 Houston loss on the road last Tuesday night. Clemens allowed two runs, one of which was earned in 6 1/3 innings, but his team couldn’t even muster a run.

Clemens returned to the Astros because he gets to play in his hometown and he gets to be in an organization that adores him. It also helps that his son, Koby, is a member of the Houston minor league system. That had to have some impact on his decision to return this season as a member of the Astros rather than joining a run scoring team like the Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees or even the Texas Rangers.

If Clemens comes out and has a stellar year that sees him win 10 or 12 games over the remainder of the season, while leading the Astros back to the postseason and possibly another World Series, everyone will say how dominant he is not only as a pitcher, but a 40-something pitcher at that. Should Clemens fail to lead Houston to the postseason, the talk will be that he was too old and that he couldn’t perform at the big league level.

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre will be in much the same situation this season when he returns to the helm as the leader of the Pack. If he can somehow guide his team, which was held together last year with band-aides and some duct-tape, he will be praised as a hero. However, should his team finish at or near its 4-12 record of last season, he too will have been too old.

How do you tell a player like Clemens or Favre to walk away from the game they have loved and played their entire lives? As a sports fan, why would you want to see these giants of their respective sports leave the game? I have grown up watching Clemens and Favre and I was crushed with the thought of their retirements. Clemens has had some tough luck at the start of his season and surely Favre will have some struggles this season as well, but instead of watching and waiting for either Clemens or Favre, two shoe-in Hall of Fame players, to do something to tarnish their storied careers, we should relish the fact that we get to watch them compete for another year.

Yes, the sports of baseball and football have evolved and players who are bigger, faster and stronger are coming along to take over, but you cannot replace the fire, intensity and passion that these two players have brought to their respective games.

You can bet, every time a game is on that Clemens is pitching or Favre is leading a fourth quarter drive, people who love and hate these players will tune in to see what happens. More often than not, it is something amazing that would be a shame to miss. Aside from the Miami Heat’s Dwyane Wade, I don’t know if there is any player who has that much affect on their respective sport, and who knows how long it will be until we see it again.

woodbuck27
07-07-2006, 07:11 AM
Quote fr. article"

"we should relish the fact that we get to watch them compete for another year."

Big Time - in agreement there.

I believe that, Aaron Rodgers would say the same regarding Favre's decision to play this season.

Spaulding
07-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Woodbuck, thanks for the many good articles during this otherwise slow times. I'm starving for anything Packer related (even APB posts) and can feel my life blood slipping away until the start of training camp.

This upcoming season for good or bad lends more anticipation to me than any since 1997. With so many unknowns (rookie HC, DC and OC as well as the new zone blocking scheme) I'm cautiously optimistic yet guarded all that the same time. Gotta love being a liquor distributor in Wisconsin this year :D

woodbuck27
07-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Woodbuck, thanks for the many good articles during this otherwise slow times. I'm starving for anything Packer related (even APB posts) and can feel my life blood slipping away until the start of training camp.

woodbuck27:

Thanks mrbojangles. I appreciate your encouagement. I'm just like you and trying to contribute to this dull time of year and make the forum interesting for all. I'm always on the outlook for something for the members to learn about and expand as Packer and NFL fans. Something to provoke a discussion on.

This upcoming season for good or bad lends more anticipation to me than any since 1997. With so many unknowns (rookie HC, DC and OC as well as the new zone blocking scheme) I'm cautiously optimistic yet guarded all that the same time. Gotta love being a liquor distributor in Wisconsin this year :D

woodbuck27:

Me too mrbojangles. This will be a very interesting year for Packer fans. I really only hope OUR team will meet the challenge of playing hard and bonding as a team. I have little patience for a laisey faire response, from any man that makes OUR 53-man Roster. The coaching staff and TT have to think TEAM first and cut out the deadwood, as this season comes to it's completion. One step at a time, 'as fans' ,I feel we deserve a quality product on the field.

If the Packers manage a 7-9 season or better I will be pleased. That will have demonstrated progress to me.

I want to see a change at punter. Our kicking and ST play must improve. We need to see something from Cory Rodgers in punt returns.

I expect growing pains with the ZBS and inexperience in the middle of OUR OL. I am hoping to see some progress there in the second half of OUR schedule.

I expect we will have to address the RB position within and after 2006. I am with 'a wish and a prayer' in regards to Ahman Green. If he contributes 800 yards of offence via the run, I will say we were fortunate. I'm looking for more pass and runs from Ahman. I'm really pulling for this man.

I believe that Samkon Gado may surprise those who are his detractors. I watched the NFL.COM interview with him and Hendo last night and what isn't there to not like about these Packers? Fine representatives for us.

I hope the least we see from WR Greg Jennings, is what Terrence Murphy was giving us before his tragedy last season. I feel the loss of Terrence Murphy hurt more than the way Javon Walker went ,as this young man had such strong leadership qualities, and so much wanted to return to us and contribute. Dam that is sad but he will do well in life because of who he is.

I want to see Brett Favre manage his play better, but I flat out know he will always be in there gunning for the W. Brett Favre is the least of my concerns. We are so lucky to have such a player and man on OUR team still.

I expect the defence to stand up taller this season. We are stronger on the line, at LBer and in the secondary. I want to see more hard hits. I want OUR "D" to be feared/respected by mid season.

I like what I'm seeing in Mike McCarthy and OUR Coaching staff to date and this Jag is a pitt bull who will demand perfection.That's all good to me.

TT is getting a pretty good grade fr. me overall, with a solid draft on day one but I so hoped, he would bring FA Terrell Owens in, and it's a wait and see on Charles Woodson but I feel in any case that TT overspent on this fella. I feel he panicked on that signing. I have nothing negative on Manuel and Pickett.

On the WR position. Maybe Mark Boerigter will seize this opportunity in Green Bay and shine. So far I'm not impressed with Ferguson and Gardner but let's wait till the pads go on as that is when the real fight for positions begins.

Overall I felt we needed more assured experience at WR. We will see Donald Driver still delivering but after him what?

These are my thoughts and the things I'll be watching for mrbojangles.