PDA

View Full Version : Sanchez worthy of number 1 overall?

Brando19
01-17-2009, 06:18 PM
http://gnb.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=830920

WTF? I know it's just a mock draft...but is USC QB Mark Sanchez really worthy of the number 1 overall? I don't think he is. I think USC QB's are built for success in their system. Look at Leinart...he sucks in the NFL. Oh well...hopefully he does go number one...it's the freaking Lions so it could happen.

Lurker64
01-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Personally, I think Sanchez isn't a particularly good QB. He has excellent vision, but questionable athleticism. Even through the filter that makes everybody at USC look better than they are, he looks fairly average. Leinart looked a lot better in college, but his NFL struggles could possibly be attributed to the fact that he's miscast in the Cardinals vertical passing offense (arm strength is a weakness) and with his baffling immaturity.

But USC QBs tend to be guys who have great vision, but aren't amazing athletes otherwise, simply because their job is to distribute the ball to the amazing athletes around them. If I'm Detroit and I'm taking a QB at #1 I go for Stafford's considerably greater upside, as opposed to Sanchez's higher floor. I mean, the Lions can only go up from here.

red
01-17-2009, 06:36 PM
i don't think any of this years qb's are worth the first pick

digitaldean
01-17-2009, 06:56 PM

That's why Detroit should pick him first! :lol:

billy_oliver880
01-17-2009, 08:13 PM
No

Lurker64
01-17-2009, 08:19 PM

I don't really think anybody is worthy of this year's top pick, but somebody is going to get it anyway. It reminds me a little of the 2005 draft at the top. Everybody knows #1 needs a QB, and neither choice was particularly appealing (before 3 years of reprogramming, Rodgers was just yet another Tedford QB). While San Francisco, in retrospect, would have taken someone other than Alex Smith, you couldn't fault the choice at the time even though he was of questionable value.

Right now, a quarterback who's the 10th best player in the draft would probably help Detroit more than a WR who's the best player in the draft, I'd venture.

Cheesehead Craig
01-17-2009, 08:29 PM
No.

Detroit needs to shore up that OL, IMO. They may very well go T with the 1.1 pick and see what Ohslobabrewsky can do for a full season.

red
01-17-2009, 09:01 PM
i think detroit should pick the best player in the draft at #1, then see what happens with the #20 pick. if a qb isn't there that they like, then maybe they send the pick away for someone like cassell

red
01-17-2009, 09:03 PM
or maybe they take the top tackle with the #1 pick then take the best guard with #20

then they can draft bradford #1 next year

Brando19
01-17-2009, 09:17 PM
or maybe they take the top tackle with the #1 pick then take the best guard with #20

I like both of your ideas, Red. They're both very smart. Which is exactly why the Detroit Lions will NOT do any of these. Sanchez will be a Lion. Dumbass Detroit Lions.

MadScientist
01-17-2009, 10:43 PM

I like both of your ideas, Red. They're both very smart. Which is exactly why the Detroit Lions will NOT do any of these. Sanchez will be a Lion. Dumbass Detroit Lions.
I'm not so sure we can count on the Lions being as stupid now as in the past. Even if their GM was an understudy of Millen, he did do rather well with the Williams trade, and hiring Schwartz seems reasonable as well.

Partial
01-17-2009, 11:06 PM
I certainly do not think so. Crabtree or Moreno might be the two best players in the draft from what I'm reading.