PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a dog

Brando19
01-17-2009, 09:47 PM
My wife and I are thinking about getting a dog (or two.) We want to get one while it's a puppy. We want a dog that'll be fun and devoted. We want it to stay outside, but able to come inside when it's really cold or to just hang out. We don't want a little dog like a wussy poodle or chihuahua. We are also planning on having children in the next couple years, so we want a dog that'll be good with children. I'm thinking a Golden Retriever or a Golden Lab. My wife suggested getting two from the same litter so they'll have a buddy all the time. Good idea? Thoughts on that and why type of dog should I get?

packinpatland
01-17-2009, 09:53 PM
My wife and I are thinking about getting a dog (or two.) We want to get one while it's a puppy. We want a dog that'll be fun and devoted. We want it to stay outside, but able to come inside when it's really cold or to just hang out. We don't want a little dog like a wussy poodle or chihuahua. We are also planning on having children in the next couple years, so we want a dog that'll be good with children. I'm thinking a Golden Retriever or a Golden Lab. My wife suggested getting two from the same litter so they'll have a buddy all the time. Good idea? Thoughts on that and why type of dog should I get?

What makes you think that a dog that's made to stay outside, gets to come in when it's really cold......will want to 'hang out' with you?
Don't mean to sound harsh, but it doesn't really sound like you're ready for dogs.

mraynrand
01-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Get a rescued Golden. Some of my old friends have been abandoned and need new homes. If you must get a puppy, make sure you are prepared for the type of dog you get - a labrador is not a pet for couch potatoes - they need lots of exercise. Train your dog and spay/neuter if you don't intend to breed them.

Brando19
01-17-2009, 10:02 PM

What makes you think that a dog that's made to stay outside, gets to come in when it's really cold......will want to 'hang out' with you?
Don't mean to sound harsh, but it doesn't really sound like you're ready for dogs.

What? I don't understand what you're saying.

Brando19
01-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Get a rescued Golden. Some of my old friends have been abandoned and need new homes. If you must get a puppy, make sure you are prepared for the type of dog you get - a labrador is not a pet for couch potatoes - they need lots of exercise. Train your dog and spay/neuter if you don't intend to breed them.

Absolutely. I am very active outdoors and I plan to spay/neuter.

red
01-17-2009, 10:04 PM
i have an english springer

absolutely awesome dog

Brando19
01-17-2009, 10:08 PM

absolutely awesome dog

Thanks...I'll research an english springer. I knew a guy that had one a while back....that's a beautiful dog.

MJZiggy
01-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Remember a retriever is going to act like a puppy for a good two years. As was already said, labs and retrievers both need a ton of exercise. If you want to keep the dog outside think about a husky, samoyed, malamute or keeshond. Something with a heavy double coat. But you do know your best option is a mutt. Buy why would you want a dog if you're just going to keep it outside? Isn't a dog meant to be part of the family? By the way, I've had trainers tell me never to get a pair from the same litter. They bond with each other and are harder to train.

packinpatland
01-17-2009, 10:19 PM

What I'm saying is....based on 27 years of having Goldens...they're part of the family, I can't imagine keeping them outside. Do you have a large fenced in yard?

Brando19
01-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Remember a retriever is going to act like a puppy for a good two years. As was already said, labs and retrievers both need a ton of exercise. If you want to keep the dog outside think about a husky, samoyed, malamute or keeshond. Something with a heavy double coat. But you do know your best option is a mutt. Buy why would you want a dog if you're just going to keep it outside? Isn't a dog meant to be part of the family? By the way, I've had trainers tell me never to get a pair from the same litter. They bond with each other and are harder to train.

I appreciate everyone's input. I honestly didn't think it was a big deal keeping the dog outside, but I'm definitely not opposed to it staying inside. Where I live, most people with big dogs keep them outside. It's only cold about 2 or 3 months out of the year. A mutt would be an option as well. I've heard mutts tend to have fewer health problems. Thanks alot for the tip the trainer gave you about two from the same litter. That makes sense.

Brando19
01-17-2009, 10:23 PM

What I'm saying is....based on 27 years of having Goldens...they're part of the family, I can't imagine keeping them outside. Do you have a large fenced in yard?

Yes. I have a 5 acre fenced in yard...but my house isn't that big. 27 years? Wow.

packinpatland
01-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Yes. I have a 5 acre fenced in yard...but my house isn't that big. 27 years? Wow.

Please don't misunderstand........that was three different dogs!
I know I'm biased, but if you're looking for a future 'family dog' you can't beat a Golden.
A few years ago I clipped this out of, of all places, an Orvis catalog.

DOGS IN OUR LIVES

We aren't house proud. If we were, wouldn't abide the scratches
on the door-frame, the holes in the screen, the darkened shine of
worn spots on the chair. We would wince at the mottled carpet and
fret at the hair clinging to our clothes.

We don't. If anything, we lovers of dogs are a tolerant lot,
finding greater value in the unabashed affection of our friend
than immaculate sofa. Shoes can be replaced, but heroic retrievers
are timeless.

Without dogs, our houses are cold receptacles for things.
Dogs make a fire warmer with their curled presence.
They wake us, greet us, protect us, and ultimately carve
a place in our hearts and our history. On reflection, our lives
are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short
lives of our dogs.

MJZiggy
01-17-2009, 10:56 PM
I read that as I was stroking the velvet ear of a blue eyed sheltie//aussie mix.

Partial
01-17-2009, 11:57 PM
Labradoodle. The joy of a lab with the smarts and great-with-kids-ness and protective nature of Poodles

Bretsky
01-18-2009, 12:43 AM

Terrible Idea to get two puppies from same litter; many reasons why. My wife is kind of an animal lover (no jokes please) and she'd endlessly lecture somebody on why to never do this.

Get used to one first and then decide if you want a second. There are a ton of fun but also a ton of work.

Not sure on breed; retriever sounds like a good fit. But why keep it outside ? It'd suck being a dog that lives outside. Just a thought :lol:

Patler
01-18-2009, 05:49 AM

absolutely awesome dog

Absolutely the most affectionate breed I have ever had. Very intelligent.

Patler
01-18-2009, 06:40 AM
If you want to keep the dog outside think about a husky, samoyed, malamute or keeshond. Something with a heavy double coat.

I had a spitz about 45 years ago. They are essentially a small version of a samoyed. look identical, but smaller. Wonderfully acrobatic dog. Without training it would jump up and walk on its hind legs when I carried his dish high. Would walk completely across the yard.

Winter coat was so dense no matter how hard you tried you could not wiggle your fingers through it to his skin. The dog refused to stay inside. We lived way north at the time, where -20 F. was common. We couldn't even get him to stay in an unheated shed, or his doghouse. He dug his way out of the shed when we tried to close him in there. After the first winter, we realized he was well-adapted no matter how cold it was. He would hollow a spot in a big snowbank, curl into a ball with his snout buried in his fur, and sleep there, no matter what the temperature was. It was where he wanted to be, and we gave him many options!

Spring time? HUGE clumps of fur all over the yard! :lol:

Brando19
01-18-2009, 09:07 AM

Terrible Idea to get two puppies from same litter; many reasons why. My wife is kind of an animal lover (no jokes please) and she'd endlessly lecture somebody on why to never do this.

Get used to one first and then decide if you want a second. There are a ton of fun but also a ton of work.

Not sure on breed; retriever sounds like a good fit. But why keep it outside ? It'd suck being a dog that lives outside. Just a thought :lol:

Thanks...if I get one...I"ll start with one. I don't want anyone here thinking I'm all about animal cruelty for thinking about keeping a dog outside...it's just the way everyone does things where I live out in the country. After talking to everyone and getting advice, I will not keep the dog outside, if I choose to get one. I'm really leaning toward a Golden Retriever.

Brando19
01-18-2009, 09:12 AM
If you want to keep the dog outside think about a husky, samoyed, malamute or keeshond. Something with a heavy double coat.

I had a spitz about 45 years ago. They are essentially a small version of a samoyed. look identical, but smaller. Wonderfully acrobatic dog. Without training it would jump up and walk on its hind legs when I carried his dish high. Would walk completely across the yard.

Winter coat was so dense no matter how hard you tried you could not wiggle your fingers through it to his skin. The dog refused to stay inside. We lived way north at the time, where -20 F. was common. We couldn't even get him to stay in an unheated shed, or his doghouse. He dug his way out of the shed when we tried to close him in there. After the first winter, we realized he was well-adapted no matter how cold it was. He would hollow a spot in a big snowbank, curl into a ball with his snout buried in his fur, and sleep there, no matter what the temperature was. It was where he wanted to be, and we gave him many options!

Haha, that's a very funny story. My parents have a dog and they keep it outside, but they have a heated shed it goes in at night...but like you said about your dog...it usually likes to lay outside instead of in the shed. Your dog must have been built for the frozen tundra if it loved the outdoors at -20 F. It usually never gets to single digits in the winter time where I live. I guess I had thought about keeping the dog outside because i live out in the country, there's not alot of traffic if he/she would happen to run away, I have a fenced in yard of about 5 acres, and it doesn't get very cold like Wisconsin.

packinpatland
01-18-2009, 09:56 AM

Haha, that's a very funny story. My parents have a dog and they keep it outside, but they have a heated shed it goes in at night...but like you said about your dog...it usually likes to lay outside instead of in the shed. Your dog must have been built for the frozen tundra if it loved the outdoors at -20 F. It usually never gets to single digits in the winter time where I live. I guess I had thought about keeping the dog outside because i live out in the country, there's not alot of traffic if he/she would happen to run away, I have a fenced in yard of about 5 acres, and it doesn't get very cold like Wisconsin.

I'm still questioning why get a dog if you plan on it living outside? I have found that dogs left to their own 'devices', will develope 'vices'.

texaspackerbacker
01-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Get a mutt--maybe several of them.

They tend to be calmer/less high strung, more playful, loving, and loyal.

Really consider getting more than one dog. They are happier when they interact; They are more entertaining; They eat and play better because it's more like life in the wild. And let them lick your face--and especially your kids. It's good for both you and them.

And don't train your dog(s). Dogs are most of all, pleasers. Put in a doggie door, and they will learn to pee and crap outside--because they figure out that you want it that way. Have a nice fenced backyard for them, but let them have the run of the house most of the time. And have a window or whatever where they can see out in front, and they will be there eagerly wait to greet you every time you come home.

Iron Mike
01-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Well, I'll check in counter to most here and say the most important consideration is how well the future pet will deal with having young children as companions.

And since you seem to already have your mind made up, I'll validate your opinion for you:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/top-dog-breeds-for-families/page1.aspx

I'd also ask you to consider adoption:

http://www.almostheaven-golden-retriever-rescue.org/doglist.html

Patler
01-18-2009, 12:24 PM

I'm still questioning why get a dog if you plan on it living outside? I have found that dogs left to their own 'devices', will develope 'vices'.

Well, considering I was on a farm at the time, and our dogs were "working dogs" who never left our sides when we were outside from about 5:00 am to about 7:30 pm in the winter or 9:00pm in the summer, they probably got more attention from us than the house dog who lives with a family where everyone is away from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm for work or school.

A dog on a farm in the country is happy as can be. He has room to run, jump and play whenever he wants. Our dogs were never on a chain, had freedom to roam, but they never went far. They lived to help us herd cows daily during the warmer months, corner chickens who escaped their area, "announce" visitors, follow us during all our chores, chase birds and rabbits and play with our cats (they often shared the food in their dishes).

I have found many housebound dogs, especially larger breeds, to be "lifeless", sleeping all day except for their occasional walks. Our dogs were "busy" all day. They were well-behaved, with few if any vices, because they were with us all day long.

I have had dogs in the city, and I wished they had the freedom my farm dogs had. I always felt their adventurous natures were quashed. The way my "indoor" dogs played when we went to a park was the way my "outdoor" dogs played everyday, all day if they wanted.

Iron Mike
01-18-2009, 12:33 PM
$375 for TWO dogs!!!

http://www.almostheaven-golden-retriever-rescue.org/goldens/brick-casey-b.jpg

Look at that boy and tell me he doesn't deserve to run around and play in your yard, and that you'd rather have a puppy. :(

Bretsky
01-18-2009, 12:35 PM

Thanks...if I get one...I"ll start with one. I don't want anyone here thinking I'm all about animal cruelty for thinking about keeping a dog outside...it's just the way everyone does things where I live out in the country. After talking to everyone and getting advice, I will not keep the dog outside, if I choose to get one. I'm really leaning toward a Golden Retriever.

Golden Retrievers are very nice dogs that are normally good with kids. Just think about being a dog living outside. It'd be like having to sleep on a couch when you know Jessica Simpson is upstairs nekkid
:lol:

I have nothing against two dogs; just better to do one at a time so you are confident you are ready for #2 IMO

Brando19
01-18-2009, 12:37 PM

Golden Retrievers are very nice dogs that are normally good with kids. Just think about being a dog living outside. It'd be like having to sleep on a couch when you know Jessica Simpson is upstairs nekkid
:lol:

I have nothing against two dogs; just better to do one at a time so you are confident you are ready for #2 IMO

Haha...damn...you have to use my weakness...Jessica Simpson. :lol:

Brando19
01-18-2009, 12:38 PM
$375 for TWO dogs!!!

Look at that boy and tell me he doesn't deserve to run around and play in your yard, and that you'd rather have a puppy. :(

My mind's not made up for sure...even with a puppy. Dang...that's some nice looking dogs. Kinda sad they have no home. I'll look into that. Thanks.

Brando19
01-18-2009, 12:42 PM

Well, considering I was on a farm at the time, and our dogs were "working dogs" who never left our sides when we were outside from about 5:00 am to about 7:30 pm in the winter or 9:00pm in the summer, they probably got more attention from us than the house dog who lives with a family where everyone is away from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm for work or school.

A dog on a farm in the country is happy as can be. He has room to run, jump and play whenever he wants. Our dogs were never on a chain, had freedom to roam, but they never went far. They lived to help us herd cows daily during the warmer months, corner chickens who escaped their area, "announce" visitors, follow us during all our chores, chase birds and rabbits and play with our cats (they often shared the food in their dishes).

I have found many housebound dogs, especially larger breeds, to be "lifeless", sleeping all day except for their occasional walks. Our dogs were "busy" all day. They were well-behaved, with few if any vices, because they were with us all day long.

I have had dogs in the city, and I wished they had the freedom my farm dogs had. I always felt their adventurous natures were quashed. The way my "indoor" dogs played when we went to a park was the way my "outdoor" dogs played everyday, all day if they wanted.

I don't live on a farm, but my wife grew up on one. They have a Border Collie and it stays outside. It's one of the happiest dogs I've ever been around. Alot like yourself when you were younger, they have cows and the dog helps alot when herding them. She runs around all day and is absolutely free. That's the only thing I have against an indoor dog...why "lock em up" when they don't have to be? I'm not against it, but if you live on a farm like you used to...why not let the dog be free and enjoy running around outdoors? I don't know...maybe I'll think about it for a while. I never thought about having a larger dog indoors, but now I'm on the fence.

oregonpackfan
01-18-2009, 01:54 PM
When I lived in Wisconsin, we had a Norweigan Elkhound. She had the thick "double coat" someone mentioned.

Elkhounds are people pleasers and great with kids. She was indoors for late afternoons, evenings, and weekends.

We did have an insulated doghouse which she only used if got colder than 20 degrees. For morning or early afternoon naps, she just curled up on a snowback and went to blissfully slept in the sunshine.

mraynrand
01-18-2009, 02:00 PM
$375 for TWO dogs!!!

Every good dog should have a good home.

GBRulz
01-18-2009, 06:23 PM
my "wussy" little dog will kick your ass and chew more holes in your holey underwear !! Just messing with you...kinda, maybe, sorta. But I've had a yellow lab and a miniature Schnauzer and let me tell you, the little one ruled the house!! I loved my lab, but to be honest I don't miss the shedding all over the house.

Have you tried petfinder.com? That's a great site to look for pets as most humane societies and pet rescue shelters are all tied into that.

GrnBay007
01-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Your local Humane Society Shelter! At least check it out! :D

Brando19
01-18-2009, 07:21 PM
my "wussy" little dog will kick your ass and chew more holes in your holey underwear !! Just messing with you...kinda, maybe, sorta. But I've had a yellow lab and a miniature Schnauzer and let me tell you, the little one ruled the house!! I loved my lab, but to be honest I don't miss the shedding all over the house.

Have you tried petfinder.com? That's a great site to look for pets as most humane societies and pet rescue shelters are all tied into that.

:lol: My parents had a Yorkshire Terrier and I loved that little dog. She had a hell of a temper. If she had something hid in the couch, like a bone, she'd bite my ass or give me mean teeth if I got close. Thanks for the website, by the way...after the threat. :D