PDA

View Full Version : What's Going on with Winston Moss?

Fritz
01-18-2009, 09:50 AM
He seems to be a wild card in the defensive coordinator search. Is he still in the running for the Raiders' job? If he is, then I can see why he's still in limbo as possible defensive coordinator for the Pack. But if he's not, then it would seem that if MM really had Moss in mind as D-coordinator, he'd have hired him already.

And if he's out as a head coaching candidate, and MM hasn't hired him as coordinator, it would seem that ol' Mike would be pretty lukewarm on the guy then, no?

Or am I missing an angle here?

MJZiggy
01-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Could be he's waiting to see if one of the guys still alive in the playoffs is going to be available and Moss is the easy stand-by in case the guy he's interested in doesn't pan out.

Could also be that he's waiting to see if there are any other head coaching opportunities that Moss might be interviewed for (say, Dallas?)

Brando19
01-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Could be he's waiting to see if one of the guys still alive in the playoffs is going to be available and Moss is the easy stand-by in case the guy he's interested in doesn't pan out.

Could also be that he's waiting to see if there are any other head coaching opportunities that Moss might be interviewed for (say, Dallas?)

Dallas? I hope you're kidding. There's no chance in hell Jerry Jones would interview a guy like Moss with all the other big names out there.

MJZiggy
01-18-2009, 10:17 AM

Dallas? I hope you're kidding. There's no chance in hell Jerry Jones would interview a guy like Moss with all the other big names out there.

Rooney Rule.

bobblehead
01-18-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm pretty confused by this too. I thought MM had him pegged the DC and had faith in him, but as things are right now, I'm flat out confused. If we had this discontent in the locker room he should have cleaned out Moss or given him the job.

This all reflects poorly on MM right now. I don't like it. If he is waiting on Moss to finish HC interviews he is screwed if Moss gets one of them. If he is not then he should have fired Moss too. Who wants to take the job as DC knowing Moss is sniping behind his back and survived the last mess. (real or percieved, doesn't matter).

As usual, we have to let it play out and then judge MM in hindsight, but he isn't inspiring confidence atm.

edit: Maybe Moss has been given the job already, but MM is letting his name get known and letting him experience the interviews. This would explain Moss sandbagging himself in the one interviews right?? He has agreed to return to MM for at least a year as the DC, but is getting the interviews in and name recognition for next time around.

texaspackerbacker
01-18-2009, 04:34 PM
For some reason, several teams have Linebacker Coaches who are also Assistant Head Coaches--seemingly on a higher level than the D Coordinator. This is a mystery to me too.

rbaloha1
01-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Hoping Winston Moss is not the new coordinator.

As a unit, the linebackers performed well below expectations.

red
01-18-2009, 04:37 PM
For some reason, several teams have Linebacker Coaches who are also Assistant Head Coaches--seemingly on a higher level than the D Coordinator. This is a mystery to me too.

does this have something to do with teams not being able to take coaches from other teams unless its for a promotion?

for instance, can moss go to another team to be their d-cord? or can he only leave to be a head coach with that assistant head coach title?

this is a complete guess

ND72
01-18-2009, 04:41 PM

Rooney Rule.

Rooney Rule only applies to head coaching vacancies. Head Coaches can hire anyone they want without an interview.

bobblehead
01-18-2009, 04:54 PM

Rooney Rule.

Rooney Rule only applies to head coaching vacancies. Head Coaches can hire anyone they want without an interview.

I've been holding out hope for the irony of a black GM getting fined under the rooney rule :D Personally I'm surprised there is no outcry over a lack of black GM's.

ND72
01-18-2009, 05:00 PM

Rooney Rule.

I've been holding out hope for the irony of a black GM getting fined under the rooney rule :D Personally I'm surprised there is no outcry over a lack of black GM's.

that would be a good one.

I do think that McCarthy is allowing Moss to ride out what he is going for right now, and then making a decision based on that. For instance, if Dallas wanted to hire him as the DC, McCarthy could deny that because he is listed as the assistant head coach....all these coaching roles are a little crazy.

Partial
01-19-2009, 02:22 AM
Ozzie Newsome and Phil Savage were the best FO combo for awhile and Newsome was black. Has there been any other black GMs?

Anybody think Savage goes back to Baltimore and resumes his role of talent scout extraordinaire? There is no denying the guy is a spectacular drafter, probably the finest in the NFL. Not sure what went wrong exactly in Cleve.

Fritz
01-19-2009, 06:04 AM
So I wonder what happens to ol' Winston now?