PDA

View Full Version : Obnoxious Philly fans

oregonpackfan
01-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Recently, sports talk show host Dan Patrick interviewed former NFL receiver Chris Carter. The topic of the Philadelphia Eagles fans being demanding and obnoxious came up.

Carter stated that when he played for the Eagles, his wife and Reggie White's wife used to sit together in the stands for home games. He stated their wives used to continually get into verbal arguments with Philly fans about derogatory comments about Eagles' players.

When the surrounding fans found out they were the wives of Chris Carter and Reggie White, they directed their demeaning comments about the alleged shortcomings of their husbands' playing abilities! This is truly amazing as Chris Carter had a couple of outstanding seasons with the Eagles and Reggie White was in his prime as one of the best defensive ends ever to play pro football!

Carter stated that he and Reggie's wives stopped attending home games because of the treatment they received.

Philly fans seem to want 100% perfection from their stars all the time. They have booed Hall of Fame third baseman Mike Schmidt and all-star Charles Barkley of the 76'ers.

After graduating from college, my first full-time job was in the western suburbs, or the "Main Line" of Philadelphia. Though I did meet some good people there both at work and in social settings, I was appalled by the high proportion of Philadelphia area people who had an abrasive, obnoxious, in-your-face, type of mindset, particularly the sports fans.

Through college settings, work-study programs, work, etc. I have lived in small towns, mid-sized cities, large cities, and suburbs. The states I have resided include Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Maine, Kentucky, New Mexico, and Oregon.

I tried to experience and appreciate the cultural benefits of living in each of those areas. I must say, however, that after living two years in the Philadelphia area, I was more than happy to leave it!

Philly fans have been very highly critical of Donovan McNabb and Andy Reid. One reason I am cheering for the Eagles today is the hope for a win so that McNabb and Reid can avoid the harsh comments from their fans.

Bretsky
01-18-2009, 01:49 PM
watching Fox pre-game is reinforcing all you noted; they seem Bush League

I want Phily today because Reid was a solid coach for GB

I like the Steelers, but am torn cause I also want to see Jim Leonard do well
can't believe Frank Walker is starting for the Ravens

Waldo
01-18-2009, 01:52 PM
And Packer fans?

We had a QB that was a missed FG (Mn), a blocked FG (Chi), a poorly defensed pass by our best CB (Car), a bad holding call by an official (Hou), and 3 good defensive plays in a row (Jax) from leading 5 4th quarter comebacks in his first year and having an 11-5 record, and being a very strong MVP candidate (statistically he outperformed Peyton). Aaron had nothing to do with those 5 things that I mentioned. The only change to his play are 3 handoffs against the Texans to eat clock.

Yet half of Packer fans despise him for being a loser. We are no better.

mraynrand
01-18-2009, 02:11 PM
And Packer fans?

We had a QB that was a missed FG (Mn), a blocked FG (Chi), a poorly defensed pass by our best CB (Car), a bad holding call by an official (Hou), and 3 good defensive plays in a row (Jax) from leading 5 4th quarter comebacks in his first year and having an 11-5 record, and being a very strong MVP candidate (statistically he outperformed Peyton). Aaron had nothing to do with those 5 things that I mentioned. The only change to his play are 3 handoffs against the Texans to eat clock.

Hear, hear! My kingdom for a rational voice - and now I finally find one. Too bad I don't have much of a kingdom to give away. How do you feel about a half gnawed away dog dish?

MJZiggy
01-18-2009, 02:24 PM
And Packer fans?

I was going to heartily disagree with you, but then I thought about it and think that your estimate may just be a bit high. There are definitely people out there blaming our defensive and special teams woes on the quarterback, but I think most have the sense to see them for what they are. I also firmly believe that if their wives were sitting in the stands that the fans would not go out of their way to be abrasive about it. Furthermore, I've wanted to drive up to Philly for a Packers game in the past and was advised NEVER to wear opposing teams' gear there for fear of personal injury. Now that just ain't gonna happen at Lambeau. Friendly ribbing, sure, but the threat of violence? Never!

Gunakor
01-18-2009, 02:50 PM
And Packer fans?

I was going to heartily disagree with you, but then I thought about it and think that your estimate may just be a bit high. There are definitely people out there blaming our defensive and special teams woes on the quarterback, but I think most have the sense to see them for what they are. I also firmly believe that if their wives were sitting in the stands that the fans would not go out of their way to be abrasive about it. Furthermore, I've wanted to drive up to Philly for a Packers game in the past and was advised NEVER to wear opposing teams' gear there for fear of personal injury. Now that just ain't gonna happen at Lambeau. Friendly ribbing, sure, but the threat of violence? Never!

Ever been to a Packers/Bears game at Lambeau?

MJZiggy
01-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Yes. The first posters game. I didn't see nor do I recall hearing of a single incident and as I recall Lambeau doesn't have a jail within the stadium either.

Gunakor
01-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Yes. The first posters game. I didn't see nor do I recall hearing of a single incident and as I recall Lambeau doesn't have a jail within the stadium either.

I was at the one on Christmas Night a few years back... Maybe it was because the Bears were on their way to the SB while the Packers were struggling at 3-12 at the time, but I saw plenty of hostilities. 2 separate groups of Bears fans were ejected from my section alone, as well as a lone Packer fan.

cpk1994
01-18-2009, 03:01 PM
watching Fox pre-game is reinforcing all you noted; they seem Bush League
It shouldn't be suprising from Philly fans. After all, this is the same disgusting lot that cheered the fact that Michael Irvin might be paralyzed. No matter what you think of a particular player, you don't cheer when someone might be crippled for life.

MJZiggy
01-18-2009, 03:42 PM

I was at the one on Christmas Night a few years back... Maybe it was because the Bears were on their way to the SB while the Packers were struggling at 3-12 at the time, but I saw plenty of hostilities. 2 separate groups of Bears fans were ejected from my section alone, as well as a lone Packer fan.

But read what you wrote. The groups of BEARS fans were ejected and a lone Packer fan. Was it the Packer fan that started it all?

cpk1994
01-18-2009, 03:45 PM

But read what you wrote. The groups of BEARS fans were ejected and a lone Packer fan. Was it the Packer fan that started it all?Im sure all that Packer fan was doing was starting a "Tastes Great. Less Filling" debate.

Gunakor
01-18-2009, 03:48 PM

But read what you wrote. The groups of BEARS fans were ejected and a lone Packer fan. Was it the Packer fan that started it all?

He wasn't trying to be civil, that's for sure. I don't know who started it, but this guy was as bad as the group of Bears fans he was fighting.

oregonpackfan
01-18-2009, 05:40 PM

I was also at the first posters game as well, though I did not sit in the same section as MJZiggy. I did not notice any hostility between Bears and Packers' fans. There was some verbal ribbing, but that was about it.

GBRulz and I were sitting next together. There was a young drunk Packers' fan to my right and a Packer fan to her left who kept belittling the Packers' players and coaches. They were the two most obnoxious fans I saw.

Fritz
01-18-2009, 06:43 PM
And Packer fans?

I was..my first and only Packer game. We had a Bears' fan in front of us, and there was lots of friendly ribbing, but that was all. Most fun I ever had in my life, even though the Pack lost. Packer fans were great.

Nope, I hear Philly fans and Oakland Raider fans are the worst.

Brando19
01-18-2009, 07:31 PM
And Packer fans?

Yeah...September 10, 2006...sum bitches got shut out! Embarassing. Bears fans were raising hell outside of Lambeau after the game.

packinpatland
01-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Didn't Packer 'fans' kill a dog? :shock:

packinpatland
01-18-2009, 08:06 PM

I was also at the first posters game as well, though I did not sit in the same section as MJZiggy. I did not notice any hostility between Bears and Packers' fans. There was some verbal ribbing, but that was about it.

GBRulz and I were sitting next together. There was a young drunk Packers' fan to my right and a Packer fan to her left who kept belittling the Packers' players and coaches. They were the two most obnoxious fans I saw.

I know that I've posted this before....but this is what I (we) had to deal with during the Packer/Bear game......this 'gent' was asked to leave the game....thank the lord.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s229/packinpatland/BearFan.jpg

GrnBay007
01-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Looks a lil like Kenny Rogers. :P

packinpatland
01-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Just an assumption........but I think Kenny's mouth isn't /wasn't as foul. :wink:

bobblehead
01-18-2009, 10:24 PM
can't believe Frank Walker is starting for the Ravens

Just goes to show what a good pass rush can do to make a DB look respectable.