PDA

View Full Version : Sean McDermott anyone?

Brando19
01-18-2009, 03:16 PM
It's not even halftime yet, and the score is 21-6 Cardinals. The Eagles could very well come back and win this game, but let's just assume they don't. McDermott will be available. The Eagles secondary has been eaten alive today by the Cardinals offense. Do we really want this guy running our defense? Do we look over this one game and give him a shot? I don't know much about McDermott, but I don't like the Eagles' secondary so far this game.

Gunakor
01-18-2009, 03:20 PM
It's not even halftime yet, and the score is 21-6 Cardinals. The Eagles could very well come back and win this game, but let's just assume they don't. McDermott will be available. The Eagles secondary has been eaten alive today by the Cardinals offense. Do we really want this guy running our defense? Do we look over this one game and give him a shot? I don't know much about McDermott, but I don't like the Eagles' secondary so far this game.

Eagles beat the Cards fairly handily earlier this year. AZ is playing out of their mind right now. They haven't had as many long runs all season long against far lesser defenses than the Eagles as they've had today. I still like McDermott. AZ passing attack has 2 potential HOF'ers on it in Warner and Fitz. That's a pretty daunting task for any defense to contain.

red
01-18-2009, 03:21 PM
plus the eagle have more talent at CB then any other team in the nfl

cpk1994
01-18-2009, 03:22 PM
It's not even halftime yet, and the score is 21-6 Cardinals. The Eagles could very well come back and win this game, but let's just assume they don't. McDermott will be available. The Eagles secondary has been eaten alive today by the Cardinals offense. Do we really want this guy running our defense? Do we look over this one game and give him a shot? I don't know much about McDermott, but I don't like the Eagles' secondary so far this game.It is absolutely moronic to make a coaching hire off of one game. Just moronic.

Gunakor
01-18-2009, 03:24 PM
plus the eagle have more talent at CB then any other team in the nfl

Questionable statement, but assuming you are correct, Samuel is playing with a hip injury that has limited his playing time today.

red
01-18-2009, 03:35 PM
well, its either him or jim johnson

someone didn't have this team prepared at all for arizona

its getting ugly, the eagles d is just getting picked apart by warner

Lurker64
01-18-2009, 03:40 PM
well, its either him or jim johnson

Well... I don't know if it's quite as simple as that. Arizona has done this to a number of teams so far, several of them good defenses. My suspicion is that a lot of players on the other side of the field are kind of sleeping on the Cardinals, and the Cardinals offensive coordinator has been calling a series of really good games.

If Arizona hangs on in this game and then does the same thing to Baltimore/Pittsburgh in the big game, would you use that as a great indictment of the Baltimore/Pittsburgh defensive coaching staff? Sometimes players play poorly despite good coaching, sometimes players play really well in spite of bad coaching. One game is too little data to go on to praise or indict the coaching genius of, well, anybody.

BF4MVP
01-18-2009, 03:49 PM
He's still my #1 choice..AZ has a hell of an offense, and they're firing on all cylinders today..One bad game does not mean I would not want to hire him. They are in the NFC Championship game after all, and their secondary has been a big part of their success..I like Jim Johnson's blitz scheme..Our defense has to be more aggressive..Can't get enough pass rush with the front four, ergo, blitz more. McDermott would bring that..

packers11
01-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Why aren't the corners bumping??? Fitz is a guy you HAVE TO BUMP at the line...

So much for Sheldon Brown being better than Charles Woodson according to "NFC's Best Corner" segment... :roll:

red
01-18-2009, 03:51 PM
true

but honestly, he won't be our d coach next year

we'll maybe bring him in for an interview. it might go well. but instead of offering him the job, we'll let him walk out the door so we can think it over

then he'll go somewhere else, for an interview, and he'll sign with them that same day

i'm pretty convinced that TT and M3 have no balls when it comes into bidding for guys or players. they'll just sit back and take the guy thats left over after everyone else is done picking their guys

BF4MVP
01-18-2009, 03:52 PM

So much for Sheldon Brown being better than Charles Woodson according to "NFC's Best Corner" segment... :roll:
That's one of the reasons I think we can afford to blitz more..Our corners are so good with man-to-man press coverage..They can be left on an island and handle it.

red
01-18-2009, 03:55 PM

That's one of the reasons I think we can afford to blitz more..Our corners are so good with man-to-man press coverage..They can be left on an island and handle it.

its not like our lb's can cover anyone anyways

we mine as well send all 3 on every play

BF4MVP
01-18-2009, 03:58 PM

:lol: So true

cpk1994
01-18-2009, 03:59 PM
true
i'm pretty convinced that TT and M3 have no balls when it comes into bidding for guys or players.Adam Viniteri and LaVar Arrington call bullshit on that statement.

Gunakor
01-18-2009, 03:59 PM

We'd get burned by the screen pass on a regular basis. Thought we were trying to be more unpredictable - being predictably aggressive is just as bad, if not worse, than being predictably soft.

Gunakor
01-18-2009, 04:00 PM
true
i'm pretty convinced that TT and M3 have no balls when it comes into bidding for guys or players.Adam Viniteri and LaVar Arrington call bullshit on that statement.

Gonzo too, had the Chiefs GM not upped the asking price with 10 minutes to go before the trade deadline he'd be a Packer.

red
01-18-2009, 04:01 PM
true

didn't we let both those guys walk out of our building without signing contracts

a lot of teams don't let that happen

Bretsky
01-18-2009, 04:01 PM
true

we'll maybe bring him in for an interview. it might go well. but instead of offering him the job, we'll let him walk out the door so we can think it over

then he'll go somewhere else, for an interview, and he'll sign with them that same day

i'm pretty convinced that TT and M3 have no balls when it comes into bidding for guys or players. they'll just sit back and take the guy thats left over after everyone else is done picking their guys

sometimes I think your posts are the pessimistic side of me thinking

red
01-18-2009, 04:02 PM
true

Gonzo too, had the Chiefs GM not upped the asking price with 10 minutes to go before the trade deadline he'd be a Packer.

that doesn't count

we were in a bidding war against no one for him

and we lost

Gunakor
01-18-2009, 04:03 PM
true

didn't we let both those guys walk out of our building without signing contracts

Vinatieri wanted to kick in a dome. What were we supposed to do, build a roof over Lambeau just so we could sign a damn kicker?

Bretsky
01-18-2009, 04:04 PM
true

that doesn't count

and we lost

too funny

here I thought you'd bring up Randy Moss by now

MJZiggy
01-18-2009, 04:05 PM
What were we going to do? Break their legs? (that might have an impact on their first-season performance)

bobblehead
01-18-2009, 04:05 PM
true

This is evidenced by TT letting Sherman walk out after giving him a decenct contract extension, and Bates one year into his tenure. Obviously TT was so cheap that he paid them both to walk just so he could get guys in who he wanted.

Sometimes I wonder where you guys get these perceptions from, but then I see who our president is and I realize that perception is much stronger than any reality.

Gunakor
01-18-2009, 04:06 PM
true

that doesn't count

and we lost

Who cares? Why do we have to win a bidding war for a future HOF'er to make it legitimate? Or any other player for that matter? It's called being financially responsible - don't bid more than a player is worth. When there are huge bidding wars over players, the winning team is assured of paying that player more than he's worth. And it will cost the team more in the long run than it will help. Remember that when bitching about our GM not getting into bidding wars.

Bretsky
true

This is evidenced by TT letting Sherman walk out after giving him a decenct contract extension, and Bates one year into his tenure. Obviously TT was so cheap that he paid them both to walk just so he could get guys in who he wanted.

Sometimes I wonder where you guys get these perceptions from, but then I see who our president is and I realize that perception is much stronger than any reality.

Way too early to judge Mark Murphy

red
true

Vinatieri wanted to kick in a dome. What were we supposed to do, build a roof over Lambeau just so we could sign a damn kicker?

so we were never really an option for him

so is TT gullible?

he seems to get played a lot? moss, gonzo, arrington, viniteri. it seems like guys come here to just boost their value, and nothing else

either way, somethings wrong

bobblehead
01-18-2009, 04:07 PM

We'd get burned by the screen pass on a regular basis. Thought we were trying to be more unpredictable - being predictably aggressive is just as bad, if not worse, than being predictably soft.

well, I've had issue with a lot of red's statements, but we got burned by screen and short middle passes all season anyway, so red is right, might as well send them.

bobblehead
01-18-2009, 04:08 PM
true

And then you come right back with this. We offered them both the most money of any team, what do you want, TT should pull out a shotgun and make them sign??

red
01-18-2009, 04:08 PM
true

where the fuck did i say anything about cheap?you added that fucking bullshit so you could throw a fit

i said they can't pull the damn trigger and make something happen in a timely fashion

Gunakor
01-18-2009, 04:09 PM
true

so we were never really an option for him

so is TT gullible?

he seems to get played a lot? moss, gonzo, arrington, viniteri. it seems like guys come here to just boost their value, and nothing else

either way, somethings wrong

Whatever, I've gone through this in another thread already. TT made the highest offer in the NFL for Vinatieri's services. So it's not like he wasn't trying, or wasn't outbidding anyone. Adam just didn't want to come here, and being a kicker, I can't say I blame him. I wouldn't want to kick in Green Bay come December either.

Lurker64
01-18-2009, 04:10 PM
true

I believe that eventually if you don't let the guy out of your building without signing a contract, you will be in violation of some combination of state and federal laws.

bobblehead
01-18-2009, 04:12 PM
true

where the fuck did i say anything about cheap?you added that fucking bullshit so you could throw a fit

i said they can't pull the damn trigger and make something happen in a timely fashion

HUH??? did you read your own post?? :

You seem to be implying they don't bid enough, correct me where I'm wrong.

red
01-18-2009, 04:12 PM
so is TT a shitty salesman?

sorry, but it sure seems like every guy we bring in for anything walks right out the door and says they're going to keep looking

and i see it as a very bad sign when we can't even sign guys when we offer the most money

sorry guys, but i see that somethings wrong

bobblehead
01-18-2009, 04:14 PM
We just need God to tell players to start signing with the team that offers the most money...where is Reggie when you need him anyway?

Gunakor
01-18-2009, 04:15 PM
so is TT a shitty salesman?

sorry, but it sure seems like every guy we bring in for anything walks right out the door and says they're going to keep looking

and i see it as a very bad sign when we can't even sign guys when we offer the most money

sorry guys, but i see that somethings wrong

Had the NFC Championship Game been played in Green Bay today, it would have been played in 10-20 degree temps. This following a week when temps struggled to make it to zero for 3 straight days. Think that might have something to do with it? Just sayin - there's a lot more than just money involved.

red
01-18-2009, 04:15 PM
true

HUH??? did you read your own post?? :

You seem to be implying they don't bid enough, correct me where I'm wrong.

yes you're wrong

i said they don't like bidding

they don't like dealing with others, they don't like mixing it up. its like its too much for them to handle. tt is the kind of guy that i would expect to mind in his office closet with his head between his knees rocking back and forth and mumbling "just leave me alone"

thats how i see it

red
01-18-2009, 04:19 PM
We just need God to tell players to start signing with the team that offers the most money...where is Reggie when you need him anyway?

thats the big problem i see

we we siberia before god talked to reggie, and before wolf made the trade for favre. then we seemed to be the hot spot for players, almost everyone wanted to come here

thats slowly been going away over the years and seems to be completely gone at this point.

almost like we're siberia again

and this is where i insert money. if we are siberia again, then we will need to pay a lot more then a team like the cowboys or patriots to get a guy to come here

texaspackerbacker
01-18-2009, 04:27 PM

Reggie is in training to take over for Vince in the Divine Management of Football Department. Why replace Vince? He's gonna take over for God when God retires.

No more bad luck/injury ruined seasons then, I bet.

cpk1994
01-18-2009, 05:36 PM
true

a lot of teams don't let that happenTT had the highest offer on the table for both of them. Quit with the bullshit.

Brando19
01-18-2009, 05:38 PM
So how long will it take for McDermott to get in for an interview? Tuesday? Wednesday?

cpk1994
01-18-2009, 05:40 PM
So how long will it take for McDermott to get in for an interview? Tuesday? Wednesday?I'm hoping he is introduced as Packers DC 10 am Monday morning.

pbmax
01-18-2009, 05:42 PM
I do know about you, but that first half by the Eagles D was giving me second thoughts.

cpk1994
01-18-2009, 05:44 PM
I do know about you, but that first half by the Eagles D was giving me second thoughts.You can't make decisions by what you see in one half of football, bad or good. Gm's who do that end up fired.

red
01-18-2009, 05:55 PM
true

a lot of teams don't let that happenTT had the highest offer on the table for both of them. Quit with the bullshit.

its not bullshit

there is definately something wrong with TT if he continues to meet with people and have them go somewhere else

it seems like he can't close the sale. he can get them to talk with him, he offers what they want, but he can't convince him that this is where they should be

he sure as hell doesn't seem like he'd be a good salesman, which is something a gm needs to be, along with many other things

rbaloha1
01-18-2009, 05:56 PM
BRING ON MCDERMOTT!

cpk1994
01-18-2009, 05:57 PM
true

its not bullshit

there is definately something wrong with TT if he continues to meet with people and have them go somewhere else

it seems like he can't close the sale. he can get them to talk with him, he offers what they want, but he can't convince him that this is where they should be

he sure as hell doesn't seem like he'd be a good salesman, which is something a gm needs to be, along with many other thingsAgain, its not TT's fault that Arrington and Vinieri took less. TT has had the highest offer on FA more than once. He can talk and talk until he is blue in the face. If the FA take less, that is not on TT. It is indded bullshit to say he doesn't have balls.

Lurker64
01-18-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm just wondering what the proposed solution to "Yes, you are offering me the most money, but I would rather take less money and play elsewhere" is from the General Manager's perspective.

Since clearly "offering even more money" isn't necessarily a good procedure, because resources are finite. We have a young, promising base of talent, great tradition and facilities, a head coach that players appear to like quite a bit. There doesn't seem to be anything necessarily wrong with the pitch.

You could say "the hard sell needs to be harder" but there's a limit to the effectiveness of that (you can't waterboard a guy to get him to play for the Packers), and none of us know how hard Thompson's hard sell is.

If a guy says "no thanks, I'd rather play in a dome" or "no thanks, I'd rather play in a big city" or "no thanks, I'd rather play somewhere warm" despite everything the Packers have going for them as well as the most lucrative offer, then screw 'em. They wouldn't be a good fit here anyway. Not everybody is going be a great fit in Green Bay, even if they are spectacularly talented (T. Buck anybody?)

Gunakor
01-18-2009, 06:32 PM
true

its not bullshit

he sure as hell doesn't seem like he'd be a good salesman, which is something a gm needs to be, along with many other things

Maybe players just don't want to come here. Maybe it's too cold, or too small a town, or whatever. TT can't make anyone come here if they don't want to, no matter how much money he throws at him. Just face it Red, perhaps this isn't a choice destination for most players for reasons beyond the GM's control. That's the nature of dealing with human beings with preferences of their own. Stop pointing fingers.

red
01-18-2009, 06:37 PM
if they would rather play in a dome or in a big city, then why do these guys even come here in the first place for a visit?

if these guys are telling the truth, then they had no desire in the first place of playing here and we were just used to get more money

maybe i'm way off here. but it sure seems that most of the times most teams don't let guys walk after interviews. is that wrong?

and it seems like we never sign a guy right away when he comes in for an interview

Fritz
01-18-2009, 06:39 PM
if they would rather play in a dome or in a big city, then why do these guys even come here in the first place for a visit?

if these guys are telling the truth, then they had no desire in the first place of playing here and we were just used to get more money

maybe i'm way off here. but it sure seems that most of the times most teams don't let guys walk after interviews. is that wrong?

and it seems like we never sign a guy right away when he comes in for an interview

Right, like Minnesota did with Brad Childress! Didn't let him leave town 'til he'd signed a contract!

Yay Brad Childress! Yay Vikings!

Gunakor
01-18-2009, 06:41 PM

If you are talking about Nolan and Williams, that's ultimately MM's call. Not TT's. And, to be perfectly honest, I think they might have had McDermott pegged as their guy all along. It would require the least roster turnaround as it stays with the 4-3. I'd have no problem with letting Nolan and Williams go elsewhere if McDermott is named our new DC by the end of the week.

Gunakor
01-18-2009, 06:41 PM

Right, like Minnesota did with Brad Childress! Didn't let him leave town 'til he'd signed a contract!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

red
01-18-2009, 06:44 PM

If you are talking about Nolan and Williams, that's ultimately MM's call. Not TT's. And, to be perfectly honest, I think they might have had McDermott pegged as their guy all along. It would require the least roster turnaround as it stays with the 4-3. I'd have no problem with letting Nolan and Williams go elsewhere if McDermott is named our new DC by the end of the week.

and i would hope that if thats who they have pegged then they have him signed tomorrow, without letting him see if someone else would pay him more

this is what i've been trying to say i think. in that business there's no waiting around. if thats your guy, then get off your ass and get it done asap

Lurker64
01-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Players regularly negotiate with teams they have no interest in ever signing with to increase perceived value on the open market. "I'm only interested in signing with you" leads to a much smaller contract than "I've talked to 10 different teams and gotten these offers, but I really hope to play for you, though I'm not about to shoot myself in the foot." Others might have no interest in actually signing here but they are talked into coming in for a visit due to the tenacity of Thompson getting them to come in, who knows?

During the first day of free agency you regularly get players signing with a team immediately, in what is perceived as the first interview, but I suspect this is because the deals were already all-but-inked during informal, under the table, meetings prior to Free Agency (like the one that the 49ers got in trouble for over Lance Briggs last year), since these things are notoriously rampant.

But anybody who lasts past the first week of free agency talks to multiple teams. May not come in for a visit, but a lot of work gets done on the phone. We're just aware of all the guys that come here and don't leave with a contract because we follow this team more closely than others.

red
01-18-2009, 06:45 PM

they made the playoffs with their coach

we didn't :(

Lurker64
01-18-2009, 06:48 PM

Our "second choice" for head coach is 1-1 in the playoffs. Childress is 0-1. I believe they have the same regular season record, or it's close at any rate.

Just sayin'

Gunakor
01-18-2009, 06:54 PM

and i would hope that if thats who they have pegged then they have him signed tomorrow, without letting him see if someone else would pay him more

this is what i've been trying to say i think. if that business there's no waiting around. if thats your guy, then get off your ass and get it done asap

That's easier to do with coaches since there is no agent, and they actually DO have to come in and interview for the job. I'd expect they'd sign McDermott quickly too if that's who they want. But you have to remember something here... McDermott's name is out there now. ANY team looking for a DC would consider him, so it's not likely he'd just accept the DC job somewhere without looking around first.

Brando19
01-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Maybe Green Bay's sign should say
"Welcome to Green Bay! Home of Applebees!"
Maybe that would appeal to people used to big cities! :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
01-18-2009, 07:37 PM
I believe they have the same regular season record, or it's close at any rate.

Childress = 24-24
McCarthy = 27-21

MJZiggy
01-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Maybe Green Bay's sign should say
"Welcome to Green Bay! Home of Applebees!"
Maybe that would appeal to people used to big cities! :lol:

If Longwell had ever tried their parmesan tilapia, he wouldn't have opened his yap!

Fritz
01-18-2009, 07:51 PM

Okay, Red. Here's the $64,000 question: who would you rather have as your coach: Brad Childress or Mike McCarthy?

Take your time.

Brohm
01-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Arrington wanted to play against the Redskins twice a year and AV wanted to kick in a dome. Two things GB could not offer.

pbmax
01-18-2009, 08:42 PM
I do know about you, but that first half by the Eagles D was giving me second thoughts.You can't make decisions by what you see in one half of football, bad or good. Gm's who do that end up fired.
Should have thrown an emoticon in there as your sarcasm detector failed to deploy. Better have that checked out.

PFT has Gregg Williams shopping the Packers deal back to the Saints. His info was that Sean Payton gave up $250,000 cold to up their offer. And Gunakor, almost all coaches have agents. Williams is Marvin Demoff, formerly most hated agent before Drew Rosenhaus. He may be back up there if this is true.

In general, I don't think you want people who do not want to be here. So for Williams, even if he shopped it, good riddance. Red may have a point however, now that there is no Wolf, Homlgren, Reggie or Favre, the price of doing business as the Green Bay Packers may have gone up until they are regularly in the playoffs.

red
01-18-2009, 08:45 PM

Okay, Red. Here's the $64,000 question: who would you rather have as your coach: Brad Childress or Mike McCarthy?

Take your time.

where's the none of the above answer?

Bub
01-18-2009, 09:39 PM
I don't know....i'm not sold on McD. I want someone who's experienced at running the whole show, not take a flier on someone that a couple have a man crush on because they are under studies under decent coordinators.

Gunakor
01-18-2009, 10:22 PM
I don't know....i'm not sold on McD. I want someone who's experienced at running the whole show, not take a flier on someone that a couple have a man crush on because they are under studies under decent coordinators.

Well that's where great ones come from - they start as understudies of great coordinators. And make no mistake, Jim Johnson is a great coordinator.

Lurker64
01-18-2009, 10:27 PM

The Jim Johnson defensive coaching tree has had some success in promoting position coaches to DCs though. Steve Spagnulo went from the Iggles secondary coach, to their LB coach (a lateral move), to the Giants defensive coordinator (to the superbowl), to a head coaching position. So it's not as though this tree has not borne fruit.

Joemailman
01-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Sean Who? It's Capers.

Partial
01-19-2009, 02:19 AM

The Jim Johnson defensive coaching tree has had some success in promoting position coaches to DCs though. Steve Spagnulo went from the Iggles secondary coach, to their LB coach (a lateral move), to the Giants defensive coordinator (to the superbowl), to a head coaching position. So it's not as though this tree has not borne fruit.

I don't think using the one guy is an example of a tree. It does form a line segment, though :lol:

cpk1994
01-19-2009, 04:59 AM

we didn't :(Yet the Packers made the playoffs with their coach sooner than the Vikings did. It took Childress 3 years to get to the playoffs despite all the FA brought in. If you actually would rather have Secret Squirrel as coach, you need to have your head examined.

Fritz
01-19-2009, 06:03 AM
Should have thrown an emoticon in there as your sarcasm detector failed to deploy. Better have that checked out.

PFT has Gregg Williams shopping the Packers deal back to the Saints. His info was that Sean Payton gave up $250,000 cold to up their offer. And Gunakor, almost all coaches have agents. Williams is Marvin Demoff, formerly most hated agent before Drew Rosenhaus. He may be back up there if this is true.

In general, I don't think you want people who do not want to be here. So for Williams, even if he shopped it, good riddance. Red may have a point however, now that there is no Wolf, Homlgren, Reggie or Favre, the price of doing business as the Green Bay Packers may have gone up until they are regularly in the playoffs.

IF the above bold-faced line is true - and who knows - then this would mean that Williams was MM's first choice, and Capers is correspondingly, not.

I hope that is not so. My sense - and this is just from whatever vague and unsubstantiated reports are out there - is that Williams' ego is as big as a house.