PDA

View Full Version : Ken Whisenhunt pulled his best MM impersonation today

channtheman
01-19-2009, 12:21 AM
With a staggering 24-6 lead at halftime, the Arizona Cardinals started to falter, even after pressuring McNabb into a fumble early in the 3rd quarter. Whisenhunt began to play the vaunted prevent defense (you may have seen MM do this). Only did he stop after his team was down by a point in the 4th quarter. However, very unlike MM, Whisenhunt did get his head on straight and got his offense moving again.

A very aggressive move by Whisenhunt on 4th and 1 WHEN THE GAME WAS ON THE LINE AND COUNTED got the Cardinals a first down and ultimately win. There is no doubt in my mind that MM would have punted the ball there because that is what you are supposed to do. Sometimes as a coach, you have to not do what the book says. Notice that the Cards didn't call timeout either. They just flashed their balls at the Eagles and went for it.

bobblehead
01-19-2009, 02:15 AM
No, he would have run a fullback dive and you would have bitched about the play calling when it failed.

mraynrand
01-19-2009, 07:13 AM
With a staggering 24-6 lead at halftime, the Arizona Cardinals started to falter, even after pressuring McNabb into a fumble early in the 3rd quarter. Whisenhunt began to play the vaunted prevent defense (you may have seen MM do this). Only did he stop after his team was down by a point in the 4th quarter. However, very unlike MM, Whisenhunt did get his head on straight and got his offense moving again.

A very aggressive move by Whisenhunt on 4th and 1 WHEN THE GAME WAS ON THE LINE AND COUNTED got the Cardinals a first down and ultimately win. There is no doubt in my mind that MM would have punted the ball there because that is what you are supposed to do. Sometimes as a coach, you have to not do what the book says. Notice that the Cards didn't call timeout either. They just flashed their balls at the Eagles and went for it.

"I would have gone for it on 4th and one too."
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/_photos/2006-01-02-sherman.jpg

mraynrand
01-19-2009, 07:15 AM
"According to my actuarial tables, and game plan guide, going for it on fourth and one at that point was favored 65-35 over not going for it."

http://www.armyofmom.com/uploaded_images/mike-mccarthy-763962.jpg

Fritz
01-19-2009, 07:17 AM
I did notice, uh, Tex, that when the Cards played it safe and went to a three man front and a prevent defense, the Iggles marched right down the field and scored. They continued that same lame defense the next series, I think, for a few plays, and then Whisened up (yuck yuck) and started blitzing. And that ended it for the Iggles.

pbmax
01-19-2009, 08:11 AM
How many games did we have a lead like 24-6 so that we could play a prevent defense? Two?

I think people see 3 players rushing and think to themselves "prevent defense". Which actually means they have no idea what a prevent defense is.

channtheman
01-19-2009, 10:10 AM
How many games did we have a lead like 24-6 so that we could play a prevent defense? Two?

I think people see 3 players rushing and think to themselves "prevent defense". Which actually means they have no idea what a prevent defense is.

If only 3 D linemen are rushing that means they've dropped 8 men into coverage. Spin it any way you want but eventually someone is going to get open if you give the QB 7 seconds back there with no pressure. Whatever they were running, though, it wasn't the same thing that they were doing in the first half.