PDA

View Full Version : Press Conference at 1:00 pm

Patler
01-19-2009, 09:57 AM
My gosh! The Packers found Mike McCarthy!
I thought he was lost!!!

He speaks today at 1:00 pm, live on packers.com

Has anything happened since his year-end press conference? I wonder what he has to talk about???
:lol:

sheepshead
01-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Brett Favre

LL2
01-19-2009, 10:01 AM
I'll have to see if they provide a transcript...cuz my work computer doesn't have speakers.

I have have a question for MM: "Hey Mike, what are you going to do to improve the team besides hire Capers?"

Patler
01-19-2009, 10:12 AM
I have have a question for MM: "Hey Mike, what are you going to do to improve the team besides hire Capers?"

" Well, LL2, I'm not going to get into all of that right now. We are still evaluating that. We have to get better. None of us are satisfied. I'm real proud of the effort we have put into getting better. We are all working very hard, and I am pleased by the effort everyone is putting into it. Unfortunately, so far, the results have not shown, and I take full responsibility for that."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

gbgary
01-19-2009, 10:15 AM

" Well, LL2, I'm not going to get into all of that right now. We are still evaluating that. We have to get better. None of us are satisfied. I'm real proud of the effort we have put into getting better. We are all working very hard, and I am pleased by the effort everyone is putting into it. Unfortunately, so far, the results have not shown, and I take full responsibility for that."

that's so...........generic. :D

LL2
01-19-2009, 10:39 AM

Typical response...you should stand in for him Patler...you could babble off generalities all day for MM.

cpk1994
01-19-2009, 11:06 AM
I'll have to see if they provide a transcript...cuz my work computer doesn't have speakers.

I have have a question for MM: "Hey Mike, what are you going to do to improve the team besides hire Capers?""THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!" Oh wait, thats not what you asked.

pbmax
01-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Here is what I would like to happen. McGinn or Wilde launch into a "do you think you have sullied the Packer's and your reputation by axing a record number of assistant coaches..."

And then Lee Remmel pointing out that until 1983 or so, the Packers never employed that many assistant coaches. :lol:

oregonpackfan
01-19-2009, 12:15 PM
My guess is that he will announce a new coordinator.

At the same time, I have been so wrong in making predictions lately(I chose the Eagles to win yesterday) my prediction skills are at an all-time low! :)

Patler
01-19-2009, 12:27 PM
I wonder if he will discuss the firings, or pass them off as "in the past" stating the Packers are "dealing with the future".

The one I would like to hear an explanation for is Gullickson. The rest were obvious due to team performance. Whether you agree with them or not, the thinking behind the firings is apparent. But, what brought about Gullickson's dismissal? Some have speculated that he and the medical staff did not see eye-to-eye.

packers11
01-19-2009, 12:28 PM
He's going to say he rehired Bob Sanders and the Don Capers hiring were just rumors.... Be prepared :wink:

Joemailman
01-19-2009, 12:33 PM
I wonder if he will discuss the firings, or pass them off as "in the past" stating the Packers are "dealing with the future".

The one I would like to hear an explanation for is Gullickson. The rest were obvious due to team performance. Whether you agree with them or not, the thinking behind the firings is apparent. But, what brought about Gullickson's dismissal? Some have speculated that he and the medical staff did not see eye-to-eye.

It was my sense (maybe just my imagination) that the Packers had an awful lot of hamstring injuries this year that hampered guys for an extended period of time. I'm guessing they were just dissatisfied with the results of his training program.

gbgary
01-19-2009, 12:34 PM
He's going to say he rehired Bob Sanders and the Don Capers hiring were just rumors.... Be prepared :wink:

http://smilies.spacebrew.com/suicide.gif

Patler
01-19-2009, 12:41 PM

It was my sense (maybe just my imagination) that the Packers had an awful lot of hamstring injuries this year that hampered guys for an extended period of time. I'm guessing they were just dissatisfied with the results of his training program.

Agreed, but the first two seasons they praised Gulickson's work as the reason they had so few injuries those two years. He won an award after 2007. That's why I wonder if it was the medical staff that wanted it, convincing MM/TT that Gullickson was the reason, in spite of the positive things that seemed to be happening the first two seasons.

cpk1994
01-19-2009, 12:50 PM
The web cam is up and a large crowd of 3 people is packing the press room.

cpk1994
01-19-2009, 12:56 PM
If these are all the reporters at the PC, Mike will have very few questions to answer.

red
01-19-2009, 12:59 PM
i feel happy for the guy right in front of the camera

he looked so desperate looking for a friend to show up

now he has one :)

HarveyWallbangers
01-19-2009, 01:00 PM

I doubt he says one word about why Gullickson was fired--even though he probably thinks he has a clear reason why he was fired. After the fact, why ruin the guy's reputation. There's always a chance the Vikings will hire him, and they'll come down with an rash of hamstring injuries.
:D

AtlPackFan
01-19-2009, 01:01 PM
The web cam is up and a large crowd of 3 people is packing the press room.

There is a whole 12 now. Damn...I can't watch this or I'll be the one getting canned. Take good notes everyone!

BallHawk
01-19-2009, 01:02 PM
They're talking about hoop earings.....

:doh: :doh:

cpk1994
01-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Showtime!

BallHawk
01-19-2009, 01:04 PM
McCarthy says he felt that the team wasn't going in right direction. Saw bad things repeating year to year.

BallHawk
01-19-2009, 01:07 PM
McCarthy says it's going to be the 3-4.

3-4 here we come.

red
3-4 defense

whoohoo

cpk1994
Its official, he's going 3-4.

HarveyWallbangers
He said he likes the 3-4 because it's a good defense against the run. You think Adrian Peterson and Matt Forte had anything to do with that?

red
01-19-2009, 01:08 PM
3-4 is the starting point. m3 says he's a big believer in it

but they will also use the 4-3

he thinks kampman and jenkins will be very happy in the new role

sheepshead
01-19-2009, 01:08 PM
He said he likes the 3-4 because it's a good defense against the run. You think Adrian Peterson and Matt Forte had anything to do with that?

Excellent point.

HarveyWallbangers
01-19-2009, 01:09 PM
He said he was looking for a guy with experience and he was looking for somebody who ran the 3-4 defense.

red
01-19-2009, 01:10 PM
moss is staying

BallHawk
01-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Winston Moss will be staying in Green Bay for this year.

HarveyWallbangers
01-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Sounds like Kampman will be a 3-4 OLB.

cpk1994
01-19-2009, 01:11 PM
He is very confident that Kampman will be fine in the 3-4.

HarveyWallbangers
01-19-2009, 01:12 PM
He didn't come out and say they will stay with man press. He said they'll play what fits the personnel. He noted Baltimore ran more of a press scheme yesterday--while Pittsburgh ran more of a zone scheme. If he sticks with what fits the personnel, then they'll stay with a press scheme.

Gunakor
01-19-2009, 01:13 PM
I'll trust MM's judgement that Kampy will be a good fit in a 3-4, given that MM has experience with 3-4 schemes in Pittsburgh and San Fransisco. He's seen Kampy enough over the past few years to make that evaluation. I hope he's right, because I just don't see it. But since he knows more than I do, I'll remain optimistic.

cpk1994
He says it was his decision not TT.

LL2
Any talk of FA?

cpk1994
01-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Any talk of FA?NO. Only about Dom. FA would be TT's area anyway and he is not in the room.

bobblehead
01-19-2009, 01:17 PM

JH posted about Gullickson moving a bit away from the free weights and bringing in a special pectoral and squat machine which was followed by a rash of pec and hamstring injuries. I had not heard that before, but if true it would explain a lot. Hawk and Jenkins both suffered pec injuries which are kinda rare. I think there was even one other pec injury, but I don't recall who it was.

sheepshead
Kudos to MM for having a presser on the subject.

Chevelle2
Kampman = Next Kevin Greene.

cpk1994
01-19-2009, 01:18 PM
I guess the'y ll be flipping tires in the new strength program. :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
01-19-2009, 01:19 PM
I'll trust MM's judgement that Kampy will be a good fit in a 3-4, given that MM has experience with 3-4 schemes in Pittsburgh and San Fransisco. He's seen Kampy enough over the past few years to make that evaluation. I hope he's right, because I just don't see it. But since he knows more than I do, I'll remain optimistic.

Well, Kampman is about the same size as a lot of 3-4 OLBs in the league. He's listed at 6'4" 265. Let's not forget that Kampman ran a 4.65 40 coming out of college. His athleticism is underrated.

Jarret Johnson = 6'3" 270
Terrell Suggs = 6'3" 260
Greg Ellis = 6'6" 265
DeMarcus Ware = 6'4" 257
Mike Vrabel = 6'4" 261
Bryan Thomas = 6'4" 266
Calvin Pace = 6'4" 270
LaMarr Woodley = 6'2" 265
Shaun Phillips = 6'3" 262
Shawne Merriman = 6'4" 272

Cheesehead Craig
01-19-2009, 01:23 PM
I think Kampy's going to have an adjustment period playing in space. I think he can do it, but it will take some time.

So, what if anything, does this mean for our draft?

Waldo
01-19-2009, 01:24 PM
I think Kampy's going to have an adjustment period playing in space. I think he can do it, but it will take some time.

Everette Brown early

Ron Brace a little later

HarveyWallbangers
01-19-2009, 01:26 PM

There seem to be a lot of good 3-4 players available in FA. I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers grab a couple in FA, and then take an OT in the draft.

Chevelle2
01-19-2009, 01:29 PM
I can't wait until Tarvaris Jackson comes to the line, on the first play of the game, sees a 3-4, and literally has no idea what to do.

Gunakor
01-19-2009, 01:29 PM

Well, Kampman is about the same size as a lot of 3-4 OLBs in the league. He's listed at 6'4" 265. Let's not forget that Kampman ran a 4.65 40 coming out of college. His athleticism is underrated.

Jarret Johnson = 6'3" 270
Terrell Suggs = 6'3" 260
Greg Ellis = 6'6" 265
DeMarcus Ware = 6'4" 257
Mike Vrabel = 6'4" 261
Bryan Thomas = 6'4" 266
Calvin Pace = 6'4" 270
LaMarr Woodley = 6'2" 265
Shaun Phillips = 6'3" 262
Shawne Merriman = 6'4" 272

Agreed that he's the right size, but it's his skill set that worries me. How well is he going to adapt to playing in space? It's not like, as a 3-4 OLB, he's going to be putting his hand in the dirt every snap. He's going to have to play coverage, and that's the part that worries me.

cpk1994
01-19-2009, 01:32 PM
I can't wait until Tarvaris Jackson comes to the line, on the first play of the game, sees a 3-4, and literally has no idea what to do.

I thought that was the case no matter what defense he sees? :lol:

Patler
01-19-2009, 01:44 PM

Kampman was a linebacker at Iowa until his junior season. He started for them as a linebacker. There will be an adjustment period, but it will not be totally foreign to him.

Packers4Ever
01-19-2009, 01:46 PM

No other teams play the 3-4 ? Or very few RB's when you
consider there are 32 teams? The 3-4 is new to me
as I suspect it might be to many fans.

Thanks! : )

pack4to84
01-19-2009, 01:48 PM

Teams that play 3-4
Steelers
Ravens
Cowboys
Jets
49ers
Chargers
Browns
Miami
NE
Packers :cow:

Patler
01-19-2009, 01:53 PM

I doubt he says one word about why Gullickson was fired--even though he probably thinks he has a clear reason why he was fired. After the fact, why ruin the guy's reputation. There's always a chance the Vikings will hire him, and they'll come down with an rash of hamstring injuries.

He actually said more than I expected, something about the environment "down there" being really wrong. Seemed quite adamant about it having to change.

There were a few articles about the players competing for "max" performances, including Grant and other small guys competing against the O-linemen for leg presses, squats or something. It was in the article about Spitz blow away the equipment's capacity for the same thing. Perhaps the feeling was there was not enough supervision to prevent players hurting themselves, regardless of whether it was free weights, machines or what. Maybe he blames him for Harrell's back injury, too.

Interesting to me - he said Lovatt is one of 5 finalists for the job, which he hopes to announce in the next couple days. Obviously, what ever the problem was, he believes Gullickson was the sole cause.

Joemailman
01-19-2009, 01:54 PM
If Kampman is going to play OLB primarily, Tyson Jackson of LSU becomes my favorite for the Packers 1st round pick.

Fritz
01-19-2009, 02:01 PM

Teams that play 3-4
Steelers
Ravens
Cowboys
Jets
49ers
Chargers
Browns
Miami
NE

Note that from this list only two are NFC teams - so the Pack is the third. And neither of the other two is in the NFC North.

Maybe I'll come around to this 3-4 thing.

red
01-19-2009, 02:07 PM
If Kampman is going to play OLB primarily, Tyson Jackson of LSU becomes my favorite for the Packers 1st round pick.

agreed

IF kampman does make the move to OLB

and the best part is, you should be able to trade down to get him

Waldo
01-19-2009, 02:08 PM

Teams that play 3-4
Steelers
Ravens
Cowboys
Jets
49ers
Chargers
Browns
Miami
NE

Note that from this list only two are NFC teams - so the Pack is the third. And neither of the other two is in the NFC North.

Maybe I'll come around to this 3-4 thing.

Cardinals too. They are a hybrid, and switch in and out of the 4-3 and 3-4 just like the Ravens.

The Eagles were the only non 3-4 or hybrid team playing on championship weekend.

pack4to84
01-19-2009, 02:09 PM
3-4 defense is easier to replace parts year in year out. Steelers lost so many great players and year in year out always in the 10 ten.

SMACKTALKIE
01-19-2009, 02:18 PM

Jackson knows how to hand the ball to 28. :wink: Hopefully that will only mean that Cassell or Hasselbeck are busy tying their shoe on the sidelines.

Pugger
01-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Hmmmm, there is nothing on the Packers' website about this PC. :? Did he announce Capers?? :?:

pack4to84
01-19-2009, 02:22 PM
As Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported on Sunday night, former Pats assistant coach and two-time expansion team head coach Dom Capers has decided to join the Packers as their new defensive coordinator.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that the Giants, and possibly several other teams, were chasing Capers. Because the Giants hesitated to meet Capers’ salary demands, he opted to jump to the Packers instead.Looks like the Packers put a attractive offer on the table for Dom Capers

Patler
01-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Hmmmm, there is nothing on the Packers' website about this PC. :? Did he announce Capers?? :?:

It was on live, and a recording should be available soon. Transcript, too. It just got over about an hour ago.

Yes, he announced Capers.

Joemailman
01-19-2009, 02:55 PM
As Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported on Sunday night, former Pats assistant coach and two-time expansion team head coach Dom Capers has decided to join the Packers as their new defensive coordinator.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that the Giants, and possibly several other teams, were chasing Capers. Because the Giants hesitated to meet Capers’ salary demands, he opted to jump to the Packers instead.Looks like the Packers put a attractive offer on the table for Dom Capers

Wait a minute. You mean to tell me that the Packers got Capers because TT was more willing to pay the big money than the Giants?!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

mraynrand
01-19-2009, 03:12 PM

Wait a minute. You mean to tell me that the Packers got Capers because TT was more willing to pay the big money than the Giants?!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Good thing coach's salaries aren't subject to the cap.

Bossman641
01-19-2009, 03:17 PM

Boy is this gonna shoot a hole in the "TT is cheap and will never pay big money for a player OR coach" theories that were going around.

Gunakor
01-19-2009, 03:30 PM

Boy is this gonna shoot a hole in the "TT is cheap and will never pay big money for a player OR coach" theories that were going around.

That's a common misconception, one that likely won't die just because we signed Capers. Besides, the only reason people might realize it this time is because Capers accepted the offer. Had he declined, TT would still be a cheapskate for not offering more.

pbmax
01-19-2009, 03:33 PM

Good thing coach's salaries aren't subject to the cap.
That's what Dan Snyder keeps telling us too. :lol:

I am sure that T2 got outfoxed in some manner here. Someone will be able to spot it shortly I am sure!

rbaloha1
01-19-2009, 03:37 PM

Brilliant TT move. Finally we out negotiate some one for a coveted coach/player.

YIPEEE!

Patler
01-19-2009, 03:38 PM
I am sure that T2 got outfoxed in some manner here. Someone will be able to spot it shortly I am sure!

I'm thinking he must have way overpaid for Capers. I'm sure if will interrupt their cash situation such that, in spite of their good cap situation, cash will be a problem and they still won't be able to sign players.

All because they paid too much for Capers! :lol: :lol:

swede
01-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Never mind.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/emily-litella.jpg

rbaloha1
01-19-2009, 03:49 PM

I'm thinking he must have way overpaid for Capers. I'm sure if will interrupt their cash situation such that, in spite of their good cap situation, cash will be a problem and they still won't be able to sign players.

Paying Capers does not come from the players salary cap.

Although the one year buyouts plus Capers salary dents overall cash flow.

Gunakor
01-19-2009, 03:52 PM

Depends on how long Capers was locked up for. Remember, 2+ years might mean uncapped player salaries as well. Capers' deal might have a small impact on player salaries should that happen.

Patler
01-19-2009, 03:52 PM

Isn't that what I wrote?
Wasn't I being facetious, as evidenced by the double ":lol:"

BTW - report is that he will be paid $2 million in 2010, but a discounted salary in 2009 during which he is still entitled to money from the Dolphins from when the whole staff was let go.

Patler
01-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Depends on how long Capers was locked up for. Remember, 2+ years might mean uncapped player salaries as well. Capers' deal might have a small impact on player salaries should that happen.

True, but if it gets to that point the NFL as we know it will be dead anyway!

Brando19
01-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Awesome move going to a 3-4. It'll bring a breath of fresh air to the defense and to the fans. I wonder if the Packers became a sexier team to Julius Peppers?

Gunakor
01-19-2009, 04:02 PM

The NFL as I knew it died yesterday when Arizona won the NFC Championship game.

Patler
01-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Awesome move going to a 3-4..... I wonder if the Packers became a sexier team to Julius Peppers?

...and less so to Albert Haynesworth, should he actually hit the street?

Patler
01-19-2009, 04:04 PM

The NFL as I knew it died yesterday when Arizona won the NFC Championship game.

Touche! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ND72
01-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Awesome move going to a 3-4..... I wonder if the Packers became a sexier team to Julius Peppers?

...and less so to Albert Haynesworth, should he actually hit the street?

Not really. Haynesworth would still be a bull of a NT in a 3-4

HarveyWallbangers
01-19-2009, 04:23 PM

Really. I'd think the 3-4 would be less attractive to Haynesworth. 3-4 NTs don't get the sexy sack totals that guys like Haynesworth are looking for.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-19-2009, 04:33 PM

Really. I'd think the 3-4 would be less attractive to Haynesworth. 3-4 NTs don't get the sexy sack totals that guys like Haynesworth are looking for.

Haynesworth could line up anywhere on the defensive line and I'm sure he'd cause plenty of havoc. However, his bread and butter is as a 4-3 DT, who knows if the guy wants to try switching to NT at this point in his career. Haynesworth will all come down to money, I think he's made atleast that much known.

Packers4Ever
01-19-2009, 04:42 PM

Teams that play 3-4
Steelers
Ravens
Cowboys
Jets
49ers

Chargers
Browns
Miami
NE

Thanks for the help, :wink:

Patler
01-19-2009, 04:54 PM

...and they get the crap beat out of them. Most DTs hate playing nose, and I doubt an elite DT who can pick his destination will put himself into a 3-4 if he can help it. That's why I think it will be less appealing to Haynesworth. Doesn't matter though, as I doubt he will actually make it to FA.

mission
01-19-2009, 04:59 PM
The other bright side of the 3-4 now is that our offense will get to practice against it all the time and now won't completely shit the bed when we see a 3-4 ... let's be honest, we've seemed to always have issues when playing a 3-4 and offensively, this should help us out...

Rastak
01-19-2009, 05:13 PM

I thought that was the case no matter what defense he sees? :lol:

Exactly, so what's his point?

Fritz
01-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Come on, Ras, you know you want BF lining up under center next year for your beloved Vikes!

Rastak
01-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Come on, Ras, you know you want BF lining up under center next year for your beloved Vikes!

Only for the first few games, then he fades badly so somebody needs to be ready to take charge after the streak gets broken.

Guiness
01-19-2009, 07:11 PM

...and they get the crap beat out of them. Most DTs hate playing nose, and I doubt an elite DT who can pick his destination will put himself into a 3-4 if he can help it. That's why I think it will be less appealing to Haynesworth. Doesn't matter though, as I doubt he will actually make it to FA.

I think you're right, NFL NT's take an absolute beating, and a guy who can pick his destination is going elsewhere. Everyone's worried about Kamp, but I think filling the NT position is going to be the toughest part of going to a 3-4. I hope Pickett is up for it.

Here's a good description I found about the position

Imagine walking down a crowded New York sidewalk and colliding head-on with someone heading in the other direction. While the two of you try to disengage, another guy sideswipes you. Then, someone else shoves you from the other side. These other pedestrians are big, strong and wear heavy body padding, and the jostling continues block after block after block.

Guiness
01-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Awesome move going to a 3-4. It'll bring a breath of fresh air to the defense and to the fans. I wonder if the Packers became a sexier team to Julius Peppers?

He has stated he wants to be a 3-4 OLB.

Him and Kamp starting at OLB. If they both adapt well, that would be insane.