PDA

View Full Version : Big D going after Ray Lewis

packers11
01-19-2009, 01:38 PM
www.rotoworld.com

According to the Baltimore Sun, "word around the NFL" is that the Cowboys are targeting impending free agent Ray Lewis and are willing to guarantee him $25 million in a three-year contract.

There should be a good number of rumors this week with lots of NFL people gathering at the Senior Bowl. Owner Jerry Jones reportedly believes Lewis could help solve problems in Dallas' locker room. The Ravens will enter talks with Lewis shortly, but re-signing Terrell Suggs should be their top priority.
Source: Baltimore Sun

imscott72
01-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Does that surprise anybody? Ray Lewis is exactly the kind of guy Jerry would pursue. The Cowboy's are the NFL's version of the Yankees. Just grab all the big names and hope for the best. They won't win anything in Dallas with idiot Jones calling the shots.

Guiness
01-19-2009, 06:46 PM
How old IS RL? It seems like forever ago when he got into that trouble. I know he had a good season this year, but his play has to be dropping off.

checked - he's 33. Could have a year or two left, but no more.

red
01-19-2009, 06:51 PM
25 million guaranteed over 3 years is a lot of money

especially for a guy so close to the end of his career

rbaloha1
01-19-2009, 07:33 PM
25 million guaranteed over 3 years is a lot of money

especially for a guy so close to the end of his career

Wow. Game changer and difference maker. Would love in Green Bay but not at that outrageous price.

The Leaper
01-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Ray Lewis hasn't been the gamechanger in Baltimore for several years. A guy named Ed Reed is now the gamechanger for the Ravens, and has been for awhile.

Ray's still good...but he ain't an elite LB anymore, and his play is dropping off.

texaspackerbacker
01-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Being that the Cowboys are my second string favorite team, this pisses me off. Lewis is fading, and will be completely over the hill in less than three years.

Having a guy (TO) who shoots his mouth off is bad enough; Having an unconvicted felon who literally shoots people (or has his crew do it) is over the top.

Zool
01-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Being that the Cowboys are my second string favorite team, this pisses me off. Lewis is fading, and will be completely over the hill in less than three years.

Having a guy (TO) who shoots his mouth off is bad enough; Having an unconvicted felon who literally shoots people (or has his crew do it) is over the top.

Stabs people, not shoots people. Stabs.

MadScientist
01-21-2009, 03:27 PM

It was Pacman who did (or had is people do) the shooting. I guess Lewis is the next best thing in that regard. These pickups by Dallas make Irwin look like a choir boy.

mission
01-21-2009, 03:37 PM
I don't think he's worth that kind of money at this point but I know other guys have mentioned the leadership factor. I'd love to have him in for a couple years just to show guys how to approach a work week. It'd be a big move, but an infectious one also...

That explains it! :lol:

GrnBay007
01-21-2009, 04:15 PM
When I read the title at first I thought you guys already picked a name for Dom ----Big D. :D

red
01-21-2009, 04:38 PM
i haven't really watched him in awhile, but after watching the game this weekend, i have to say he's looking pretty fat these days

texaspackerbacker
01-21-2009, 05:06 PM
i haven't really watched him in awhile, but after watching the game this weekend, i have to say he's looking pretty fat these days

That's true, and slow probably as a result.

Speaking again as a fan of my second string favorite team, I wouldn't mind at all the felonious behavior (assuming it didn't keep him off the field) if he could still play worth the money it would cost to get him. For a long time, I justified being glad to have TO on the Cowboys that way. Based on their demise, though, I'm thinking the downside of Owens outweighed the good.

Lewis wouldn't even have much upside IMO.

Bub
01-21-2009, 08:01 PM

It was Pacman who did (or had is people do) the shooting. I guess Lewis is the next best thing in that regard. These pickups by Dallas make Irwin look like a choir boy.

Didn't Tank Johnson's people do the shooting for them last year? Makes sense I suppose. Now they need a replacement killer....nice.

Rastak
01-21-2009, 08:40 PM

He didn't shoot anybody for christ sake. Get your facts straight. I watched the whole damn trial. His homeys stabbed some dudes after a fight and he was charged with trying to cover up their murder, essentially.

Rastak
01-21-2009, 08:41 PM

He was never accused of stabbing anyone.

mission
01-21-2009, 08:49 PM

He didn't shoot anybody for christ sake. Get your facts straight. I watched the whole damn trial. His homeys stabbed some dudes after a fight and he was charged with trying to cover up their murder, essentially.

Oh! Well shit, that's cool then!

Rastak
01-21-2009, 09:13 PM

I thought he was guilty on what he was charged with but he didn't stab or kill anybody. He acted the fool after the fact, worried about his reputation instead of justice.

Sparkey
01-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Ray Lewis to the Jets ?

Lewis and Ryan have a great relationship and it would help with teaching his defense to the Jets players.

Zool
01-22-2009, 09:07 AM

I thought he was guilty on what he was charged with but he didn't stab or kill anybody. He acted the fool after the fact, worried about his reputation instead of justice.

He was charged with obstruction, but I think one of his posse jumped on the grenade for him. Thats just a gut feeling.

Pacopete4
01-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Ray Lewis to the Jets ?

Lewis and Ryan have a great relationship and it would help with teaching his defense to the Jets players.

I don't think they have the money for that

gbgary
01-22-2009, 12:39 PM
mickey spagnola, a cowboy reporter, said there's nothing to this story. it was a rumor started on some blog with no named sources or corroboration. :roll:

DonHutson
01-22-2009, 12:58 PM
mickey spagnola, a cowboy reporter, said there's nothing to this story. it was a rumor started on some blog with no named sources or corroboration. :roll:

I've already said it today in another thread, we're watching the slow death of journalism.

Rumors get around on the net. "Legit" journalists feel the need to report the rumor lest they lose their audience to the original rumor-mongers.

End result? Lots of crap floating around. At least the Dallas reporter did some real research and put an end to it.

Pacopete4
01-22-2009, 12:59 PM

I've already said it today in another thread, we're watching the slow death of journalism.

Rumors get around on the net. "Legit" journalists feel the need to report the rumor lest they lose their audience to the original rumor-mongers.

End result? Lots of crap floating around. At least the Dallas reporter did some real research and put an end to it.

it is getting very sad when you have no idea who to trust when you read something, specially on the internet

mission
01-22-2009, 02:24 PM

it is getting very sad when you have no idea who to trust when you read something, specially on the internet

When has it ever been NOT like that? :?:

Rastak
01-22-2009, 04:53 PM

He was charged with obstruction, but I think one of his posse jumped on the grenade for him. Thats just a gut feeling.

There wasn't one iota of evidence to suggest that. He hung around with thugs and surprise surprise, he found himself in hot water he didn't start.

Bretsky
01-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Ray Lewis is a winner on the football field
I'd take him in GB in a second.

I also would not be at all surprised if he ends up a Patriot

digitaldean
01-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Ray Lewis to the Jets ?

I don't think they have the money for that

Heard on ESPN Radio last night, Jets are over the cap already. Can't see that happening.

I could see Jerry Jones throwin' down the cash, however.

Also, I would be in favor of having him in Green and Gold also. He backs up the talk with some awful fierce hitting.