PDA

View Full Version : 3 - 4 linebackers

AV David
01-19-2009, 02:45 PM
For the life of me I cannot figure out why many are concerned about who will play LB is a 3-4 defense.

The MLBs need to be fairly big. Fast is always a big bonus. The job of the ILB in a 3-4 is to stop the dives and iso plays where there is generally a lead blocker. (FB or G) The running weakness of a 3-4 defense is right up the middle. The DEs generally line up on the OTs, with a little outside leverage. As a result, help on the inside is a little far away. So you need to be built well and tough to stuff the 1 or 2 gap. You should be fast because outside pursuit is an important assignment as well. (ILB is the "inside out" and cut back pursuit.) It seems to me AJ Hawk is big enough and fast enough. He is 245 lbs and is fast for a LB. Barnett probably does not fit here. Bishop could play well in controlling the 1 and 2 gaps. Actually he would be terrific. I wonder whether he is fast enough for outside pursuit. You can make up for foot speed with fast reads and reaction. Bishop appears pretty instinctive against the run, but I am not sure if he is fast enough for the pursuit responsibility. I guess we will find out. Barnett is cut out for the weak side OLB, but not the ILB. He is big enough and fast enough for OLB. He might complain about a perceived "demotion" from MLB, but tough for him. That leaves the strong side OLB or rover, depending on the scheme. I have no idea whether Poppinga, Chillar or Lansanah can play here effectively or not. Rookie LBers tend to be one position where they can play right away. So lets draft a good one. The 3-4 is really a LBer defense anyway.

It seems to me Ryan Pickett is a stereotypical nose tackle. You need a 2 gap run stuffer here. A pass rush is a bonus. That is what Picket did well at DT in 2006 and 2007. 2008 not so much. The DEs in a 3-4 need to be able to move and rush the passer. The have significant outside responsibility as well as providing help in side. A healthy Cullen Jenkins is perfect here. Aaron Kampman might be a bit small, but I would bet on him. I don't know about Thompson.

The DBs are not overly affected by the switch to 3-4. The safeties might have to play up a bit if you start getting gashed in the 1-2 gaps.

I am actually kind of enthusiastic about the switch to 3-4. It has been over a decade since the Packers have been able to blitz effectively. The switch to a 3-4 cannot possibly hurt our pass rush.

Thoughts?

sheepshead
01-19-2009, 02:49 PM
I think we have a thread for this.