PDA

View Full Version : What is an African American?

HowardRoark
01-19-2009, 03:23 PM
What exactly is an African American? Barack Obama is half white (German or Irish American?) and half Kenyan, yet he is celebrated as an African-American and all that goes with that distinction. From what I understand, and I could be wrong, I thought there had to be a background in slavery in the U.S. I am OK with that definition.

My neighbor is from Kenya, and if she is ever referred to as an African American, you will get a glare that only an annoyed woman can give. If, however, you refer to her Kenyan heritage, she will show up on your porch with a big smile the next day with her arms full of spicy Kenyan dinners. She will drop them off and demand to know what you think, “did you like them?”

Colin Powell of course had his roots in the Caribbean, so he doesn’t count either as an influential African American in politics. The only one that I can recall, one whose heritage went back to pre-Revolutionary slavery in the Deep South is…..Condoleezza Rice!!!!!!

Can someone refresh my memory as to why she was vilified by the Left? The only true African American to make an impact on the national stage, yet not a word….very sad.

sheepshead
01-19-2009, 03:32 PM
I have never used the term. It's "black" or "brother" or 'sister' when I refer to mah brothahs and sistahs.

sheepshead
01-19-2009, 03:35 PM
The dems have a large portion of the black population hoodwinked to be sure. Your point is well taken. It takes people that know their future success is in their hands and not that of the federal government to begin to appreciate the difference. They also need to get that damn chip off their shoulder.

sheepshead
01-19-2009, 03:42 PM
http://www.nbra.info/

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI

Zool
01-19-2009, 03:51 PM
The dems have a large portion of the black population hoodwinked to be sure. Your point is well taken. It takes people that know their future success is in their hands and not that of the federal government to begin to appreciate the difference. They also need to get that damn chip off their shoulder.

So you think black people are stupid or just gullible?

sheepshead
01-19-2009, 03:55 PM
too many dont pay enough attention.

mraynrand
01-19-2009, 04:03 PM

Neither, by definition.

hood·wink (hdwngk)
tr.v. hood·winked, hood·wink·ing, hood·winks
1. To take in by deceptive means; deceive. See Synonyms at deceive.
2. Archaic To blindfold.
3. Obsolete To conceal.

Joemailman
01-19-2009, 04:14 PM
What exactly is an African American? Barack Obama is half white (German or Irish American?) and half Kenyan, yet he is celebrated as an African-American and all that goes with that distinction. From what I understand, and I could be wrong, I thought there had to be a background in slavery in the U.S. I am OK with that definition.

My neighbor is from Kenya, and if she is ever referred to as an African American, you will get a glare that only an annoyed woman can give. If, however, you refer to her Kenyan heritage, she will show up on your porch with a big smile the next day with her arms full of spicy Kenyan dinners. She will drop them off and demand to know what you think, “did you like them?”

Colin Powell of course had his roots in the Caribbean, so he doesn’t count either as an influential African American in politics. The only one that I can recall, one whose heritage went back to pre-Revolutionary slavery in the Deep South is…..Condoleezza Rice!!!!!!

Can someone refresh my memory as to why she was vilified by the Left? The only true African American to make an impact on the national stage, yet not a word….very sad.

It's a fair point. The same argument has been made regarding Tiger Woods, who is half Asian. However, what Barack Obama and Tiger Woods have in common with someone like John Lewis is the color of their skin, and that is significant. When people look at Barack Obama, I suspect they see a black man, and at times in his life that fact has affected how they have reacted to him.

I don't know that having roots going back to slavery really matters that much. A person emigrating from Africa to Birmingham in 1960 would have been treated the same by Bull Connor as a black person with slavery roots. Obviously the election of Obama shows we have come a long way since then, but the color of someone's skin does still affect how some people will react to them, regardless of where their ancestors are from.

Zool
01-19-2009, 04:25 PM

Neither, by definition.

hood·wink (hdwngk)
2. Archaic To blindfold.
3. Obsolete To conceal.

Well you have to be dumb to be deceived by what are referred to commonly around here as stupid liberals.

MJZiggy
01-19-2009, 07:03 PM
An African-American is a descendant of the people of the African Continent. It has nothing to do with slavery except that in America it was African people that were enslaved.

bobblehead
01-19-2009, 09:01 PM

Both

texaspackerbacker
01-20-2009, 12:49 AM

Neither, by definition.

hood·wink (hdwngk)
2. Archaic To blindfold.
3. Obsolete To conceal.

Well you have to be dumb to be deceived by what are referred to commonly around here as stupid liberals.

I'm glad you said that, not me.

Yes, like Ziggy said, African-American means what the words say.

Thus, Obama is one of the few black or half black or whatever people who really can be called African American. I don't know why that Kenyan lady would dislike being called that.

Anyway, I really don't give a shit what you call them. It is rock solid fact, however, that 90 some % of them get hoodwinked into voting contrary to their own beliefs and core values. The great majority of black people are moral, church-going, patriotic, and pro-American to at least as great an extent as the great majority of whites. Yet they vote for the party that has positions and values that are diametrically opposite.

sheepshead
01-20-2009, 06:47 AM
This stuff doesnt help anyone:

All hail the chief! Young Jeezy made immediate impact his first night in D.C.: Jeezy debuted a remix of the hip-hop national anthem right now, “My President.” Not too long after T.I. performed at D.C. club Love, the Snowman took to the stage for his “Presidential Status” inaugural ball — and his guest on the new version of “My President” was Jay-Z.

“My president is black, he’s black, he’s half white/ So even in a racist mind, he’s half right/ So if you got a racist mind, it’s alright/ My president is black, but his house is all white,” Jay spit a capella as the DJ pulled the music for his verse.

“No more white lies, my president is black!” Hov finished, as the crowd in the club repeated his last line over and over again.

Little Whiskey
01-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Sounds like we need another racial draft Beeeooootch!

http://i0006.photobucket.com/albums/0006/pbhomepage/celebrities/chappelle.jpg

Tyrone Bigguns
01-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Ty loves african americans.

http://www.celebrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/charlize-theron-100-11-07.jpg

HowardRoark
01-21-2009, 06:10 PM

http://www.celebrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/charlize-theron-100-11-07.jpg

This reminds me of the Winter Olympics a few years ago when some PC announcer said something like..."he is the first non-American African American to win a gold medal in a winter event."

mraynrand
01-21-2009, 07:06 PM

I hear you!

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1359/charlizetheron2741251rz5.jpg

Bossman641
01-21-2009, 07:41 PM
This stuff doesnt help anyone:

All hail the chief! Young Jeezy made immediate impact his first night in D.C.: Jeezy debuted a remix of the hip-hop national anthem right now, “My President.” Not too long after T.I. performed at D.C. club Love, the Snowman took to the stage for his “Presidential Status” inaugural ball — and his guest on the new version of “My President” was Jay-Z.

“My president is black, he’s black, he’s half white/ So even in a racist mind, he’s half right/ So if you got a racist mind, it’s alright/ My president is black, but his house is all white,” Jay spit a capella as the DJ pulled the music for his verse.

“No more white lies, my president is black!” Hov finished, as the crowd in the club repeated his last line over and over again.

I think if I were to make a list of rappers I would take political advice from Jeezy would be right near the bottom. Got to love rappers; ya know the guys who glorify hustlin, drugs, and bitches; providing political commentary.