PDA

View Full Version : Possible FA's we go after...with our new 3-4 D

steve823
01-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Since we switched our D our FA choices have probably changed. IMO Haynesworth is out of the question...and Peppers probably too with the amount of $$ he wants and his habit of taking plays off.

Even though the Ravens are probably going to try to scoop him up ASAP..we might be a big contender in getting Suggs if he gets free

I think TT gets 1 good FA and another one as a solid backup..then the rest if from the draft

Tony Oday
01-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Peppers would rule!

HarveyWallbangers
01-19-2009, 05:43 PM
There are some good, 3-4 players available. Bart Scott is name that comes to mind. I'll have to look over the list again--now that we are moving to a 3-4.

Partial
01-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Julius Peppers is probably the best all-around DE since White.

Go out and make a splash so GB doesn't become Siberia. They are going to lose revenue now that Favre is gone. Peppers could be that guy.

red
01-19-2009, 06:00 PM
chris canty will be a free agent

6-7 307 pound DE. 26 years old

Bossman641
01-19-2009, 06:09 PM
chris canty will be a free agent

6-7 307 pound DE. 26 years old

Yep, he's a guy I'd love to see in green and gold.

Waldo
01-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Igor Olshansky (3-4 LDE) isn't on any lists, but has the option to void the final year of his contract. Most sources believe that he will and SD won't resign him. He'll be on the market too, if we don't get Canty, Olshansky is another one to watch.

Waldo
01-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Though he's currently in a 4-3, Kendric Golston, a UT for the 'Skins will be a RFA. He was taken in the 6th, if they only give him a low tender (they have to shed contracts to get under the cap and sign their rookies, they are hurting), I can see us pursuing him to play DE, he's a solid player.

Of course Suggs is the ultimate prize, Peppers would be an OK consolation, though 3-4 teams probably aren't going to offer him what 4-3 teams do.

If he gets the low tender, Gabe Watson, NT for the Cardinals, will be available for a 4th round pick.

red
01-19-2009, 07:21 PM
what about gabe watson?

he's a rfa with the cardinals

rbaloha1
01-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Igor Olshansky (3-4 LDE) isn't on any lists, but has the option to void the final year of his contract. Most sources believe that he will and SD won't resign him. He'll be on the market too, if we don't get Canty, Olshansky is another one to watch.

Crazy strong. Nice potential pickup.

HarveyWallbangers
01-19-2009, 10:14 PM
DE Julius Peppers, DE Chris Canty, DE/LB Terrell Suggs, LB Bart Scott, LB Ray Lewis, LB Karlos Dansby, LB Channing Crowder, LB Angelo Crowell, NT Gabe Watson. I'm not sure how his rehab is going, but Dwan Edwards is a former second round pick who has started a lot of games on Baltimore's DL. He's also from a small town (Billings, Montana), so maybe he'd like Green Bay. Olshansky would be a nice pickup also.

b bulldog
01-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Don't like Gabe Watson at all

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Is Suggs restricted or an unrestricted free agent? I hope he's unrestricted because I would love to get him.

With all the talk about the front seven people are not talking about other positions on the defense. A guy I really want is Sean Jones. Put him next to Collins and we have amazing duo back at safety.

Carolina_Packer
01-20-2009, 02:33 PM
The big issue with Peppers will be that Carolina will probably tag him, so we would have to give up draft picks to get him in trade. I don't see TT doing that. Plus, Peppers, while athletically gifted, does not play hard all the time. You never like to see a guy get a huge contract and then take plays off. If he can go sour and say he wants out of Carolina, he might do the same at another place too.

steve823
01-20-2009, 02:36 PM
I agree.. I defineetly dont want Peppers. I would love to see Suggs, Scott, or canty come here though.

]{ilr]3
01-20-2009, 02:43 PM
The big issue with Peppers will be that Carolina will probably tag him, so we would have to give up draft picks to get him in trade. I don't see TT doing that. Plus, Peppers, while athletically gifted, does not play hard all the time. You never like to see a guy get a huge contract and then take plays off. If he can go sour and say he wants out of Carolina, he might do the same at another place too.

Ray Lewis would be good for the conversion to a 3-4. The guy is a great player, knows the game inside and out, never quit attitude and natural leader.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-20-2009, 03:08 PM
{ilr]3]

Ray Lewis would be good for the conversion to a 3-4. The guy is a great player, knows the game inside and out, never quit attitude and natural leader.

We'd get in to a bidding war for Lewis that'd I'd hate to see the Packers enter. Lewis has been the greatest linebacker since LT and would provide a hell of a lot of leadership to a Packers defense that could sorely use it. However, he will get his money, and he could very well fall apart within the next 1-2 years. If memory serves he had a bad year last year and has had some injury problems as well recently.

Suggs and Bart Scott would be excellent pick-ups along with Canty, can't argue those additions.

I feel like I need to give Julius Peppers some love that he is lacking from some of you posters. Being in eastern Tennessee I get the dubious honor of getting a lot of Carolina games on Fox. Peppers can be very dominating at times on the defensive line. Sure he takes plays off, and has some character concerns, but the way he talks now you can see he is starting to get that fire in him to win a championship. I believe whoever wins the Peppers sweepstakes will get a vetern player extremely motivated to do whatever he must to win a championship. He's in his physical prime with no signs of going down hill any time soon. Getting Peppers would allow the Packers to use him in a Jason Taylor type role in the 3-4, not to mention it would give us some relief allowing us to rotate Jenkins from DE to NT when needed.

That asks another question I'd love to see some input on. How would Jenkins do in stints at NT? He seems big enough and powerful enough to do the job, and he's also certainly quick enough. I think he'd be able to take on two blockers without much of a problem.

Also, how does Jolly fit in to the NT rotation?

HarveyWallbangers
01-20-2009, 03:58 PM
That asks another question I'd love to see some input on. How would Jenkins do in stints at NT? He seems big enough and powerful enough to do the job, and he's also certainly quick enough. I think he'd be able to take on two blockers without much of a problem.

I don't see it. Not stout enough.

red
01-20-2009, 05:27 PM
maybe TT is just banking on harrell showing up waaaaaaay out of shape to training camp

its not that hard to imagine

maybe he just needs more fat on his body for extra padding. then he wouldn't hurt so much

BooHoo
01-20-2009, 09:33 PM
{ilr]3]

I do not want Ray Lewis because he would cost big bucks for a man who is on the down side of his career.

Gunakor
01-20-2009, 09:39 PM
{ilr]3]

I do not want Ray Lewis because he would cost big bucks for a man who is on the down side of his career.

The value of that kind of leadership and intensity cannot be underestimated though. Especially on such a young team. That fiery attitude is what was most lacking on our defense last year. And on top of that, he is well versed in a 3-4 scheme, and that experience would do well to make the transition as smooth as possible. Depends on what he's looking for, but if he hits the market I'd definitely be making my interest known.

BooHoo
01-20-2009, 09:53 PM
The value of that kind of leadership and intensity cannot be underestimated though.

I agree with your comment about leadership and intensity. Both are undervalued. Ray Lewis would bring that to the table but at what cost. (Bring back Reggie!)

Packers4Ever
01-21-2009, 10:44 PM
The value of that kind of leadership and intensity cannot be underestimated though.

I agree with your comment about leadership and intensity. Both are undervalued. Ray Lewis would bring that to the table but at what cost. (Bring back Reggie!)

Sure hope TT has been busy taking notes here ! :)

BZnDallas
01-21-2009, 11:09 PM

from what i've heard, and maybe you could shed some light on this Carolina Packer, is that if the Panthers end up franchising Peppers then they would lose out on Gross their tackle?... do you know if this is true or possible??...

i do agree about the taking plays off... i wonder if playing in a 3-4 would re-motivate him... i'd have to sit him down and talk to him and see where is head is and if its in the game... (if i were TT)... but the thought of having that type of player on the defensive gets me thinking (nfl network commercial) C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P!!... hahaha

Tyrone Bigguns
01-22-2009, 04:52 PM
what about gabe watson?

What exactly has he done to warrant interest?

Lurker64
01-22-2009, 06:22 PM
We pretty much need to sign a 3-4 DE in the offseason, since we need one, I think that's our #1 need. Thankfully both Igor Olshansky and Chris Canty are free agents this offseason and are expected to hit the market, and both have experience in the branch of the 3-4 tree that our defense will be coming from. A second DE, and a WOLB are pretty much our biggest needs. I think we have, at least from the perspective of starters, every other position on the defense other than DE #2 and a WOLB, though we can always upgrade.

Zool
01-22-2009, 06:37 PM
what about gabe watson?

What exactly has he done to warrant interest?

He's a big fatty who played in the Big 10(11).

Waldo
01-22-2009, 06:47 PM
We pretty much need to sign a 3-4 DE in the offseason, since we need one, I think that's our #1 need. Thankfully both Igor Olshansky and Chris Canty are free agents this offseason and are expected to hit the market, and both have experience in the branch of the 3-4 tree that our defense will be coming from. A second DE, and a WOLB are pretty much our biggest needs. I think we have, at least from the perspective of starters, every other position on the defense other than DE #2 and a WOLB, though we can always upgrade.

Agreed, that is the same thing I see. To get at least one guy with experience in a similar scheme would be so valuable. Both of those DE's are quality players, yet not the big name guys that every team in the league wants.

Unless Suggs hits the market and TT is able to pull off a miracle and bring him here, WOLB is best addressed in the draft. Fortunately this is a pretty good draft for them. Orapko/Brown/Maybin around our first pick. If Larry English makes it past the 3-4 teams at the end of the first, he could fall to us if Cleveland doesn't grab him, he's pretty useless to a 4-3 team.

Be nice to grab another NT with the frame to fill out in the coming years to learn behind and back up Pickett too. There are decent options available in the top 3 rounds, we can probably take our pick of the 3 as we are well poised for each, though with each round they become increasingly developmental and less likely to make an impact as a rookie.

Lurker64
01-22-2009, 06:56 PM
If Larry English makes it past the 3-4 teams at the end of the first, he could fall to us if Cleveland doesn't grab him, he's pretty useless to a 4-3 team.

Paul Kruger is also a guy who might be a pretty good fit for us at one of the two OLB spots, if he falls to us in one of the later rounds. Similar body type to Larry English, similar athleticism, and a really high character guy. Has experience playing outside in a swarming defense.