PDA

View Full Version : Packers biggest need?

RashanGary
01-19-2009, 06:54 PM
? ?

Waldo
01-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Weakside outside linebacker to bookend Kamp.

If Kamp is Greg Ellis (they are remarkably similar players), we need Demarcus Ware.

red
01-19-2009, 07:02 PM
tough for us to say at this point

the new coaches need to come in and see which guys can play where before we can say we need someone somewhere

but i would say if kamp can make the move, then we need a DE opposite jenkins

pack4to84
01-19-2009, 07:04 PM
I say NT.

Lurker64
01-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Definitely NT. I'm really seeing the Packers taking Raji at #9 at this point. We just don't have enough over-tackles on the roster.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Weakside outside linebacker to bookend Kamp.

If Kamp is Greg Ellis (they are remarkably similar players), we need Demarcus Ware.

We need help at both WOLB and OT...it's really a toss up in my opinion. It's clear the Packers are going to have to get younger at OT sooner rather than later. I don't want to see either Clifton or Tauchser fall apart next year and lose A-rod to injury.

Partial
01-19-2009, 07:07 PM
I say NT.

NT, IL, CB in that order.

However, I think they have a good enough NT for now in Pickett, and they have a lot of capable linebackers in the roster that they should give a chance at the very least.

With that said, the place I'd like to see a new player added is CB. They're going to be playing a lot of zone I have a hunch.

red
01-19-2009, 07:07 PM
I say NT.

i don't think theres a lot of those in the draft or in free agency. terrence cody would have been the perfect guy if he would have come out this year

pickett might be alright at 330

and might i add that this might be the end for one justin harrell

RashanGary
01-19-2009, 07:08 PM
I say NT.

That's what I said too. That fat guy in the middle means everything. Pickett is Ok, but he's not a star. If he's going to hold up, he's going to have to be fresh and only play about 50% of the snaps.

Partial
01-19-2009, 07:09 PM
I say NT.

That's what I said too. That fat guy in the middle means everything. Pickett is Ok, but he's not a star. If he's going to hold up, he's going to have to be fresh and only play about 50% of the snaps.

That's why it would be nice if your username would step up and get healthy.

RashanGary
01-19-2009, 07:10 PM
For some reason, I don't have much hope that Harrell will ever be that type of player. He has such a long way to go. He has to get strong enough to be a 3-4 DE before we can even dream about NT.

Jimx29
01-19-2009, 07:24 PM
GM

Joemailman
01-19-2009, 08:28 PM
DE. Jenkins is the only guy we got who seems a natural fit there, and he's injury prone. Can we trade Brian Brohm for Corey Williams?

MJZiggy
01-19-2009, 08:39 PM
A better win-loss ratio.

ND72
01-19-2009, 08:51 PM
I've been one all along that has felt our DL is fine as is going into a 3-4, and that we will need another OLB to compete. I think Bishop steps in as a starter, but I don't know if he's a MLB, or if Hawk & Barnett play MLB. OR if Hawk & Barnett are our OLB's, and we're looking for another MLB to go with Bishop. It will be interesting, that's for sure. BUT, Dom has always been good at finding where to put guys when he was a DC, struggled as a HC.

oregonpackfan
01-19-2009, 11:59 PM
For some reason, I don't have much hope that Harrell will ever be that type of player. He has such a long way to go. He has to get strong enough to be a 3-4 DE before we can even dream about NT.

Unless he can get and stay healthy, I don't think Harrell will survive the last training camp cut this year.

Zool
01-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Sandwiches

Pugger
01-20-2009, 12:47 AM
DE. Jenkins is the only guy we got who seems a natural fit there, and he's injury prone. Can we trade Brian Brohm for Corey Williams?

Good grief, I hope you were being sarcastic. Didn't Williams play in a 3-4 in Cleveland this year and wow his team with one and a half sacks or something like that? :roll:

Lurker64
01-20-2009, 01:14 AM

Good grief, I hope you were being sarcastic. Didn't Williams play in a 3-4 in Cleveland this year and wow his team with one and a half sacks or something like that? :roll:

Not only that, but with the contract he's got, I wouldn't touch him with a 39.5 foot pole. Still... you wish we would have spent that pick on someone other than Brohm.

Merlin
01-20-2009, 02:12 AM
Offensive Guards that can block. What a nice change from the past 4 years that would be.

pack4to84
01-20-2009, 05:32 AM

Unless he can get and stay healthy, I don't think Harrell will survive the last training camp cut this year.If they cut him he counts 4.1 million against the cap. If we keep him he cost 1.2 million. Only if we can get JustinHarrell to change his log in name, he might stay healthy for once.

packrulz
01-20-2009, 06:30 AM
I vote NT, the Packers need for big defensive lineman hasn't changed, Jolly and Harrell are big question marks. I'm beginning to think TT might be able to trade down a little and still get Raji. They have lots of young offensive lineman and d-backs they can develop, playing zone will be easier mentally.

Fritz
01-20-2009, 06:31 AM
I am getting confused about what it requires to play a 3-4. If the defensive ends have to be run-stopping guys who can eat blockers, wouldn't Harrell fit on an end as he weighs around 310 or something? And is Kampman an outside linebacker, and will he have to cover people? What happens to Cole? Is Montgomery out of a job in this system? Does this system use zone coverage more than not?

Waldo
01-20-2009, 06:44 AM
Do you think Cole and Monty were worthy of new contracts? Both were bad in the 4-3 too.

Kamp will have to cover. But....

Packer fans understanding of LB coverage and the rest of the league is very different. Bob Sanders covered guys in man to man with his linebackers. Almost no DC does that, as LB's aren't good enough to cover like DB's. Basic zones agaisnt certain routes is what is used.

pbmax
01-20-2009, 07:13 AM
I am getting confused about what it requires to play a 3-4. If the defensive ends have to be run-stopping guys who can eat blockers, wouldn't Harrell fit on an end as he weighs around 310 or something? And is Kampman an outside linebacker, and will he have to cover people? What happens to Cole? Is Montgomery out of a job in this system? Does this system use zone coverage more than not?
There are multiple alignments you can use and we haven't seen Caper's yet. In Pittsburgh, he had Kevin Greene at OLB and he often played like a lineman, like Willie McGinest later at NE, with minimal coverage responsibilities. The lineman were big, but nothing larger than what we have outside of Kampman and Thompson. Kampman, as Patler and others have pointed out, has played linebacker in college.

I don't think Cole was strong enough to be DT in the 4-3 Sanders ran, so he might struggle at NT.

Pittsburgh uses a lot of zone, they also don't spend money on CBs like we have. You do not have to play zone. Baltimore plays more man, and they have spent money there. The only other indication is that the Belichick/Saban version, who run the hybrid (one large SOLB like McGinest/Adalius Thomas/hopefully Kampman) is that they dedicate themselves on early downs to stopping the run. For them that means zone early, when you might expect run, so everyone's eyes are on the LOS. On passing down and distance, you can play man. But Capers is not from that school, he learned from Jim Mora.

HarveyWallbangers
01-20-2009, 09:56 AM
I'd say DE. We have Jenkins and no other guarantees. Jolly? Harrell? Montgomery, Thompson, and Hunter don't appear big enough. Even if he could play DE, Cole is an adequate backup at best.

Pack0514
01-20-2009, 10:34 AM
EDIT: Nevermind.

Carolina_Packer
01-20-2009, 10:50 AM
They need a true plugger in the middle of the defense. Someone who commands double teams, and I like the idea of rotating Picket with someone else. The first mission of the 3-4 is to stop the run, and if you are weak in the middle, that's hard to do because many of the run plays are between the tackles, so we have to take away that exploit.

Right now the Packers have enough developmentally at Guard to field a competetive team, but I don't know about D-line. Do we also need to address O-line; yes. Is it the biggest priority? Not compared to D-line.

texaspackerbacker
01-20-2009, 10:54 AM
I put "other" because we really don't have any pressing needs.

Getting an Everett Brown-type 3-4 OLB would be a nice luxury item. However, I think Kampman stays at DE, in which case, you don't need quite so much of a pass rushing OLB. Popinga, Hunt, Thompson, Chillar, and maybe Bishop are all more than adequate as OLBs.

I think Harrell--if he stays healthy--does have the strength and size to split time with Pickett at NT. Cole also would be adequate there, and maybe even Jolly. #9 in the first round is way too high to draft Raji or anybody else who might play NT.

We could use at least one OT, but you also just don't take a ZBS OT high in the first round. One in the 2nd or 3rd and one later is more likely.

I'd like to see us get a speed RB, and I'd like to see us get a Pat White-type "slash" player--in order to run some spread and option at times, but neither of those would be first round picks either.

What does that leave? Corner. I still say, corner is one of the few positions where first rounders usually pan out. Any team, but especially one using man coverage like the Packers can never have too many good cover corners. Either Jenkins or Vontae Davis would be good picks at #9.