PDA

View Full Version : Oregon's Favorite Gay Politician

Kiwon
01-20-2009, 07:10 AM
Bill Clinton, phone sex and adultery with an intern, keeps his job.

Mark Foley, text messages with a teen, loses his job.

Portland's mayor, Sam Adams, sex with a teen, do you think there is any way in Hades that Democrats and Gays in Oregon would allow this guy to lose his job?

.................................................. ...........................

PORTLAND, Ore. -- More than a year after denying it, the newly elected mayor of Portland has admitted having a sexual relationship with a male teenager in 2005.

Sam Adams, who is openly gay, acknowledged the relationship in a statement Monday, after the Willamette Week newspaper broke the story on its Web site.

In Washington, D.C., for the inauguration, Adams will cut his trip short to issue a public apology Tuesday afternoon in Portland, said Wade Nkrumah, his spokesman.

Adams, 45, said he and the teen were together in the summer of 2005, shortly after the teenager turned 18 in June, and when Adams was a city commissioner. The revelations come nearly a year and a half after Adams and the teen said rumors of a sexual relationship between them were false.

"I lied at the time because I was afraid that people would believe untrue rumors being circulated by an undeclared mayoral opponent that I had broken a law involving sexual relations with a minor. But this is not a good excuse," Adams said in his statement.

Despite the rumors, Adams coasted to victory in his race, making Portland the largest U.S. city to ever elect an openly gay mayor. He was sworn in Jan. 1.

In his statement Monday, Adams apologized to the teen for making him lie about the relationship. He also apologized to colleagues and voters.

The young man, now 21, did not immediately return a request for comment.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/20/portland-mayor-says-past-relationship-teen/

hoosier
01-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Bill Clinton, phone sex and adultery with an intern, keeps his job.

Mark Foley, text messages with a teen, loses his job.

Portland's mayor, Sam Adams, sex with a teen, do you think there is any way in Hades that Democrats and Gays in Oregon would allow this guy to lose his job?

Why do you think Adams should lose his job?

MJZiggy
01-20-2009, 07:47 AM
Exactly what is he apologizing for??? I can see apologizing to your lover for asking him to lie, but why anyone else?

sheepshead
01-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Google Mark Foleys career path, then report back.

MJZiggy
01-20-2009, 07:59 AM
What's his career path got to do with him sleeping with a consenting adult?

mraynrand
01-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Exactly what is he apologizing for??? I can see apologizing to your lover for asking him to lie, but why anyone else?

That's right. He wasn't under oath when he lied to the public, so there's nothing wrong with it. Get over it, Kiwon.

MJZiggy
01-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Since when is who the city commissioner's sleeping with the public's business?

mraynrand
01-20-2009, 09:00 AM

Since they asked. Since when have divorce proceedings been the public's business?

mraynrand
01-20-2009, 09:03 AM
I'll pose the obvious question: Had it been uncovered that a 41 year old Republican was sleeping with an eighteen year old woman (who just conveniently turned 18), and lied when asked about it, would there have been any controversy?

MJZiggy
01-20-2009, 09:04 AM
There's no such thing as an out-of-bounds question anymore, is there. I think politicians should learn to refuse to answer those type questions, but in the appearance of answering it, he lied. It wasn't any of our business to begin with. Neither are divorce proceedings.

sheepshead
01-20-2009, 10:04 AM

Zig, you called for some calm or getting along and camaraderie on another thread. I think that would be great. kinder, gentler forum if you will. But this is a prime example of antagonistic behavior. The point here is, this is a guy in his 40's boning a guy in his teens. You can mix and match the genders in this story anyway you'd like and most reasonable people, when pressed, think this kind of behavior and judgment is unbecoming of anyone with ANY authority or decision making power. There are companies that would find a way to show this guy the door. It's HIS judgment that is in question here. What would you and your husband say about your 18 yo daughter dating a 45 yo man? (im making some assumptions here I know)

So he is in charge of running a major city. And all politics aside, it is more than reasonable to question his judgment and his fitness for the job.

Zool
01-20-2009, 10:08 AM
I agree with Sheep. This guy should be tapping his foot in an airport restroom instead.

retailguy
01-20-2009, 10:16 AM
There's no such thing as an out-of-bounds question anymore, is there. I think politicians should learn to refuse to answer those type questions, but in the appearance of answering it, he lied. It wasn't any of our business to begin with. Neither are divorce proceedings.

Public officials have an OBLIGATION to tell the truth. Without HONESTY, the political process does not work.

He violated that, and as a result, should step down.

Period.

Kiwon
01-20-2009, 10:37 AM
I agree with Sheep. This guy should be tapping his foot in an airport restroom instead.

I'm sure this "openly gay" mayor and his various partners never hosted any "parties" at his home. A real slice of Norman Rockwell's America.

But, whoa, foot tapping and wide stances in the restroom, that's for perverts.

Zool
01-20-2009, 10:47 AM

I'm sure this "openly gay" mayor and his various partners never hosted any "parties" at his home. A real slice of Norman Rockwell's America.

How is one better or worse than the other?

Kiwon
01-20-2009, 11:35 AM

How is one better or worse than the other?

Better or worse? You can't compare the two. A closeted bisexual(?) hoping for a gay encounter versus a high profile, "openly gay" man whose probably had hundreds of gay sex encounters (ala Jim McGreevey).

I'm sure he's so morally upstanding that he diligently restrained himself until the boy turned 18. He'd never touch him while he was 17. Yeah, right.

Larry Craig is ashamed of his urges/behavior and tries to hide it. Sam Adams is not ashamed of anything, except being caught lying by the press. NOW he's ready to admit wrongdoing, lying about a sexual relationship with a teen and "making him lie." By the way, how did he manipulate him into doing this?

Sam Adams is a hero because he's "openly gay." On the other hand, Larry Craig is scum because he tries to hide his same-sex attraction. This is the mentality of most Democrats and their gay activist supporters. They WILL NOT allow the people of Portland to oust him even if they wanted to.

The people of California democratically settled Prop 8, but look at the resulting firestorm because the liberals and the LGBT didn't get what they wanted.

Welcome to Barack's America.

texaspackerbacker
01-20-2009, 11:50 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how our forum liberals are always the ones sympathetic to homosexual behavior while conservatives just matter-of-factly think of it as sick and disgusting.

Why is that? Can't somebody be for higher taxes, a plethora of social programs and government intrusion, a distaste for American dominance in the world, abortion, and all the other things you libs are for, and still be disgusted by homosexuality? This is not a rhetorical question. Ziggy, Hoosier, etc., I'd like to hear an answer from you on it.

My take would be that evil and wrongness begets evil and wrongness--ya'all are in the bad/wrong side of all those other issues, so it's only natural that you would embrace evil on the homosexuality issue too. If you have a different take on that, let's hear it.

Zool
01-20-2009, 11:57 AM
I on the other hand think that maybe if people weren't so closed minded and bigoted, there would be no tapping of feet in bathrooms. The guy is ashamed of something that he shouldnt be ashamed of and this is where our opinions differ.

Why should gay men feel so ashamed of themselves that they need to go to the most disgusting place imaginable for sex so they can remain anonymous? I can barely stand going into most mens rooms to piss. Most of them have about a gallon of urine on the floor around the urinals and he has to go there for sex? Thats fucked up. I dont think Adams is a hero, he's just a man, but the gay community has been beaten down for so long that they need someone with some power to look up to.

Prop 8 is fucking stupid as all hell. Let them get married. Are you worried that they will drain the economy with their shared medical and dental plans? Not long ago blacks and whites weren't allowed to marry. Do you support that too or does that idea seem so far out of bounds that its ridiculous? They aren't hurting anyone. They aren't tearing at the fabric of society. Why should something like marriage which is supposed to support monogamy be exclusive to whom you see fit to grant it?

texaspackerbacker
01-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Because they are sick, perverted, and evil, that's why they should feel ashamed.

Harlan Huckleby
01-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Why should gay men feel so ashamed of themselves that they need to go to the most disgusting place imaginable for sex

are you referring to the poop shoot?

sheepshead
01-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Zool, this thread has nothing to do with gay "rights".

Zool
01-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Fine, have a guy find an 18 year old girl to bang and he will be congratulated.

HowardRoark
01-20-2009, 05:57 PM
This is much to do about nothing. Please bump this thread when we find out how much he spent on clothes. Now that’s something that we should get pissed about.

bobblehead
01-20-2009, 06:08 PM
I'll pose the obvious question: Had it been uncovered that a 41 year old Republican was sleeping with an eighteen year old woman (who just conveniently turned 18), and lied when asked about it, would there have been any controversy?

Yes...our party holds our elected officials more accountable. But honestly, its up to the electorate to do what that particular party won't.

mraynrand
01-20-2009, 06:10 PM
This is much to do about nothing. Please bump this thread when we find out how much he spent on clothes. Now that’s something that we should get pissed about.

He can see Milwaukie from his house!

arcilite
01-20-2009, 06:16 PM

I am awaiting my congratulations good sir

Kiwon
01-20-2009, 08:00 PM

No, that would be more condemned, a 45-year old male city official with an 18-year old girl.

However, since's he's "openly gay" he's in a protected class of people. The same rules don't apply.

Just watch. If the people of Portland criticize him in any way, Sam Adams will become a national figure on network news.

Kiwon
01-20-2009, 08:01 PM

He can see Milwaukie from his house!

:) :)

Kiwon
01-22-2009, 06:13 AM
Just following the story.......

Prediction: Whether this guy loses his job or not, this case will be used as evidence by NAMBLA-types for why pedophilia laws are out of date and why this activity involving youth in their late teens should be decriminalized.

.................................................. ................................

Gay Mayor's Teen Sex Affair to Be Investigated

PORTLAND, Oregon-- The state's attorney general agreed Wednesday to investigate claims made by the mayor of Portland that he lied to cover up a sexual relationship with an 18-year-old boy.

Portland Mayor Sam Adams admitted this week that he lied to cover up his relationship with a teenage legislative intern because a potential mayoral candidate had spread rumors that Adams had sex with a minor.

Adams, who is 45, said the teen was 17 when they met in 2005, and that the relationship did not turn sexual until the boy turned 18. He said he lied because he was afraid voters wouldn't believe that his young lover had turned 18 before they started having sex.

Adams became mayor on New Year's Day, making Portland the largest U.S. city with an openly gay mayor.

Oregon Attorney General John Kroger agreed to an investigation after Multnomah County District Attorney Michael Schrunk and Portland police Chief Rosie Sizer asked Kroger to look into the affair.

Also on Wednesday, three Portland newspapers and the city police union called for Adams to resign.

Adams had said he would resign if staying was not in the city's best interest.

The publisher and editorial board of Just Out, a newspaper serves the gay and lesbian community, said in a statement that "Adams has failed to show the principled character that this publication feels is a basic requirement for an elected official."

"Right now one of the big things we in government need is credibility with the public," Schrunk told The Oregonian, another newspaper calling for Adams to resign. The police chief said it would be inappropriate for her department to investigate the mayor.

City commissioner Nick Fish said the commissioners met Wednesday and joined the request for an investigation by the attorney general. They decided to withhold comment until that investigation was completed.

"This is clearly a distraction, but people need to know we are getting work done," Fish said.

Unless Adams bows to pressure and resigns or there is evidence of a crime, he will remain in office for the first half of 2009 because state law bars any mayoral recall until after six months.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/22/gay-mayors-teen-sex-affair-investigated/

Harlan Huckleby
01-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Prediction: Whether this guy loses his job or not, this case will be used as evidence by NAMBLA-types for why pedophilia laws are out of date and why this activity involving youth in their late teens should be decriminalized.

Not sure what you specifically want, are you mad that somebody had sex with an 18-year-old? Do you think an intercourse license should be issued at age 20?

I was talking to a guy last night who's 18-year-old daughter is dating a 16-year-old girl, and he's crapping his pants worrying about the kid getting arrested for statutory rape. You never know what can happen if the relationship should turn sour.

I think the age of consent for sex and marriage should be 16, PERIOD. I know that leaves the door open for some pretty shitty behavior by adults. But its wrong to criminalize nature in order to snare behavior that might be lousy is some cases.

HowardRoark
01-22-2009, 08:46 AM

Not sure what you specifically want, are you mad that somebody had sex with an 18-year-old? Do you think an intercourse license should be issued at age 20?

I was talking to a guy last night who's 18-year-old daughter is dating a 16-year-old girl, and he's crapping his pants worrying about the kid getting arrested for statutory rape. You never know what can happen if the relationship should turn sour.

I think the age of consent for sex and marriage should be 16, PERIOD. I know that leaves the door open for some pretty shitty behavior by adults. But its wrong to criminalize nature in order to snare behavior that might be lousy is some cases.

What if my nature is having a sexual relationship with a 13 year old PERIOD.

Hater. You are starting to sound like Cheney with your closed mindedness.

mraynrand
01-22-2009, 08:50 AM
I was talking to a guy last night who's 18-year-old daughter is dating a 16-year-old girl, and he's crapping his pants worrying about the kid getting arrested for statutory rape.

I didn't know that statutory rape included appliances.

Harlan Huckleby
01-22-2009, 08:53 AM
I think 13 is far too young for legal sexual activity. I don't hate you Howard, but you do bad things and must be sent away.

Harlan Huckleby
01-22-2009, 08:55 AM
I was talking to a guy last night who's 18-year-old daughter is dating a 16-year-old girl, and he's crapping his pants worrying about the kid getting arrested for statutory rape.

I see. I meant to say "son", not "daughter".

My doll is 22, if you had any suspician in that area.

mraynrand
01-22-2009, 09:22 AM

I see. I meant to say "son", not "daughter".

My doll is 22, if you had any suspician in that area.

I didn't

mraynrand
01-22-2009, 03:09 PM
I think 13 is far too young for legal sexual activity. I don't hate you Howard, but you do bad things and must be sent away.

Will he go to a nice farm with lots of sunshine and fields to run in all day - and a loving family and plenty of food in his dish at night? My very old friend Rex just went off to a farm like that. I'm very jealous.

Kiwon
01-24-2009, 03:41 AM
Still following the story.....

Sam Adams' case is slowly becoming cause célèbre.

Portland mayor to decide soon whether to resign

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — About 400 supporters gathered Friday night outside City Hall to urge Portland's mayor to stay on the job despite an intensifying political storm over his sexual relationship with a legislative intern nearly four years ago.

Mayor Sam Adams has admitted lying about the affair with the young man to cover it up during last year's mayoral campaign. His victory made Portland the largest city in the country with an openly gay mayor.

The Oregonian and three smaller Portland newspapers have called for his resignation, but supporters rallied on his behalf throughout the day Friday. Many attending the rally hoisted homemade signs with messages that included "Portland Can Forgive" and "Sam Is Human."

About a half dozen counter-protesters were sprinkled among the crowd. Their placards read "Resign Sam" and "He Is Not My Mayor."

Adams took office Jan. 1 and is expected to decide within a few days whether he will resign, spokesman Wade Nkrumah said.

Oregon Attorney General John Kroger has agreed to investigate whether Adams committed any crime. City commissioners, the police chief and the local district attorney asked for the probe.

Earlier this week, the 45-year-old Adams admitted having sex with a legislative intern who was 17 when they met. But Adams and Beau Breedlove both have said they did not have sex until 2005, after Breedlove had turned 18, the legal age of consent.

The mayor issued a public apology at a news conference Tuesday but has since avoided public appearances.

Adams told The Oregonian he has been consulting with his pastor and with his mentor, former Portland Mayor Vera Katz.

"These people I talked with today were blunt," Adams said. "They were brutally honest."

About 20 Portland arts, business and gay leaders spoke Friday at a news conference that included a statement from filmmaker Gus Van Sant, who has been nominated for an Academy Award for Milk, his film about the slain San Francisco gay-rights leader and politician Harvey Milk.

In the statement, Van Sant criticized Adams but also offered support.

"Portland didn't elect Adams to resign at the first sign of controversy," said Dave Terry, a friend of Van Sant who read the statement at the news conference. "He was elected to do a big job."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-01-24-portland-mayor-scandal_N.htm

mraynrand
01-24-2009, 07:29 AM
In the statement, Van Sant criticized Adams but also offered support.

"Portland didn't elect Adams to resign at the first sign of controversy," said Dave Terry, a friend of Van Sant who read the statement at the news conference. "He was elected to do a big job."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-01-24-portland-mayor-scandal_N.htm

He is too big to fail - just like the incoming treasury secretary. Questionable relationships? Abuse of power? Failure to pay taxes? No worries, you are TOO IMPORTANT TO FAIL.

Too bad Al Capone isn't around to give us a comment on the situation.

Kiwon
01-24-2009, 07:42 AM
He is too big to fail

Um..er....I'll have to admit that I'm homophobic enough to not feel comfortable with the phrase "He is too big to fail" in a thread involving gays :P

Kiwon
01-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Gay Portland Mayor Won't Resign Over Lying About Relationship With Teen

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,482756,00.html

Notice one supporter's message to the gay paper, "Just Out" which called for mayor Sam Adams to resign; "Did you back Clinton's impeachment?"

In other words, President Bill Clinton got away with a sex scandal so that's the new moral standard that applies.

http://www.foxnews.com/images/495790/0_21_012509_gaymayor.jpg