PDA

View Full Version : Is Raji the Pick?

rbaloha1
01-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Comments from the Senior Bowl practice.

While the North offensive line was improved today, Boston College DT B.J. Raji continued to dominate. The 334-pounder is living in the backfield making interior lineman look ridiculous. The backside of this stud defensive tackle is enormous and he looks like he was born to demolish the squat rack. That strength transfers to the field as he can bull rush anyone. In individual drills he threw Oregon OL Max Unger to the ground in a move reminiscent of Reggie White in Super Bowl XXXI. However, brute strength isn’t the only impressive aspect of this mauler’s game. His pass rush repertoire is special. Raji’s first step is very quick and he gets his hips underneath him to create great leverage. He can turn the corner and make himself small to beat the man in front of him. Honestly, I have to make myself focus on other players because I could watch him all day. Raji is a top five pick in my opinion and has been by far the most impressive player on the North.

red
01-20-2009, 06:41 PM
i watched a bit of him in his bowl game and was pretty impressed

he is one of about a dozen players i wouldn't mind us taking

Waldo
01-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Accordint to the JS Blog TT was paying close attention to the north lineman.

Included prospects in that group for us:

Max Unger - 5 position OL, best inside, best ZBS prospect
BJ Raji - NT
Ron Brace - NT
Ziggy Hood - DE

TT is known to ignore combine stars and take Senior Bowl stars (Blackmon and Thompson were both very under the radar until great Senior Bowl weeks).

RashanGary
01-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Raji could easily be the pick. He and Pickett would be one of the better NT rotations in the NFL. It would go a long way toward making our 3-4 defense a legitimate one. Pickett is good. Raji looks good. Some teams have a star. Maybe we wouldn't, but having two good ones rested would be very, very helpful.

Lurker64
01-20-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm thinking we take Raji at #9 and I'm happy with that.

Badgerinmaine
01-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Just for the heck of it, I took a sample of 10 draft prediction sites looking for Raji. All of them predict he will be picked after the Packers' selection:
1 site predicts he goes to Denver at #12
3 sites predict he goes to Washington at #13
1 site predicts he goes to New Orleans at #14
1 site predicts Tampa Bay at #19
2 sites predict Atlanta at #27
1 site predicts Indianapolis at #27
1 site has him completely out of the first round.

Waldo
01-20-2009, 07:05 PM
After seeing his Senior Bowl performances thus far....

His stock is on the rise big time. He's playing himself into the top 10.

The best interior OL prospects in the country are getting owned by him, and he has destroyed a couple of run plays in the team drills.

Freak Out
We need an impact player along the defensive line and a tackle like that would be perfect.

RashanGary
1. Andre Smith* OT Alabama 98
2. Michael Crabtree** WR Texas Tech 98
3. Aaron Curry OLB Wake Forest 98
4. Mark Sanchez* QB USC 97
5. Matthew Stafford* QB Georgia 96
6. Eugene Monroe OT Virginia 96
7. Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State 96
8. Aaron Maybin** DE Penn State 96

This is the top 8 from one of the larger draft sites.

After pick 8 you have guys like Jason Smith, OT, Baylor; BJ Raji, NT, BC; Everette Brown and Orakpo (two possible outside LB's in a 3-4).

9 is a good spot to be. If the QB's go in the top 8, it's going to leave at least one very high quality, big time player from that has done it on the college level and has the upside to make you think he can continue to do it on the next level.

Deputy Nutz
01-20-2009, 07:20 PM
I don't think finding defensive linemen for the 3-4 is going to be a problem. What is still a problem regardless of what scheme the Packers are currently going to run is find football players that can rush the passer, that is the biggest need at the moment for this football team.

RashanGary
01-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Aaron Maybin is said to be a prototypical 3-4 LB with big time pass rush capability. He and Raji moved up after we made that switch.

Deputy Nutz
01-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Jason Hunter might actually be a damn good pass rusher from the outside, he sure wasn't much of anything as a hand down end. But he is athletic and has some speed and in pre season had a knack for getting after the passer. He is one of the guys that might not be a starter but might fit a 3-4 much better than in a 4-3, he might have a niche in the 3-4 that allows him to play 15 plays a game, rather than just special teams because he can't play end in a 4-3.

Bishop the same thing, he might not be a starter, but he certainly could contribute more to the defense in a 3-4 than in a 4-3 as an mlb.

Lurker64
01-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Also, in case the height question becomes an issue again, at the Sr. Bowl Weigh In Raji measured 6' 1 5/8" and 334 lbs.

rbaloha1
01-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Also, in case the height question becomes an issue again, at the Sr. Bowl Weigh In Raji measured 6' 1 5/8" and 334 lbs.

For ng height is irrelevant. How tall was Warren Sapp again?

For those so concerned about height try to watch Sapp's interview with Ed Sabol of NFL films.

RashanGary
01-20-2009, 09:38 PM

Wilfork clone.

steve823
01-20-2009, 11:56 PM
it would be great to get him..he would keep pickett fresh and our nt combo would be great. it would greatly help out our run d and help the linebackers roam free.

BZnDallas
01-21-2009, 12:00 AM
i'm think'n raji in round 1, tackle or cb in round 2, cb or tackle in rd 3 (which ever wasn't taken in 2nd round) and Bart Scott in FA and we'll be set!... now in the event that TT can get Peppers or Suggs instead of Scott i'm definetly down for that... and i see NFC North Champs once again!!!

bobblehead
01-21-2009, 12:25 AM
1. Andre Smith* OT Alabama 98
2. Michael Crabtree** WR Texas Tech 98
3. Aaron Curry OLB Wake Forest 98
4. Mark Sanchez* QB USC 97
5. Matthew Stafford* QB Georgia 96
6. Eugene Monroe OT Virginia 96
7. Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State 96
8. Aaron Maybin** DE Penn State 96

This is the top 8 from one of the larger draft sites.

After pick 8 you have guys like Jason Smith, OT, Baylor; BJ Raji, NT, BC; Everette Brown and Orakpo (two possible outside LB's in a 3-4).

9 is a good spot to be. If the QB's go in the top 8, it's going to leave at least one very high quality, big time player from that has done it on the college level and has the upside to make you think he can continue to do it on the next level.

Typical website. DL is always a premium early in a draft. I would be willing to bet 3 are off the board before we pick...they got one going at #8

pack4to84
01-21-2009, 05:54 AM
Some professional mock draft now are starting to have BJ Raji as your pick at 9.
http://nfldraft101.com/mocks/current.jsp
http://www.drafttek.com/round12009.asp
http://thehazean.com/mock-drafts/

LL2
01-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Jason Hunter might actually be a damn good pass rusher from the outside, he sure wasn't much of anything as a hand down end. But he is athletic and has some speed and in pre season had a knack for getting after the passer. He is one of the guys that might not be a starter but might fit a 3-4 much better than in a 4-3, he might have a niche in the 3-4 that allows him to play 15 plays a game, rather than just special teams because he can't play end in a 4-3.

Bishop the same thing, he might not be a starter, but he certainly could contribute more to the defense in a 3-4 than in a 4-3 as an mlb.

You just might be right about Hunter. He has shown some flash and has the speed, but isn't big enough to play the front 4. Slide him into the LB group in a 3-4 and he may excel.

I can also see Raji being a Packers pick. The 3-4 calls for an immovable NT that can take up more than one OL. I don't think Harrel is immovable and to expect Picket to do it every down for 16 weeks is too much to ask.

Badgerinmaine
01-21-2009, 10:28 AM

Sapp is 6'2".

Fritz
01-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Now I hope Raji sucks the rest of the time so he'll be around at #9.

rbaloha1
01-21-2009, 10:47 AM

Sapp is 6'2".

Listed. Stood next to Sapp at the Pro Bowl and he is barely over 6'

rbaloha1
01-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Raji continues to dominate Senior Bowl practices and may not be available at #9.

A positive of the 3-4 is many excellent prospects are available at #9. (Wonder if this factored into TT's thinking. The draft is also filled with 3-4 personnel.)
Nonetheless it sure would be nice to get a prototypical ng.

Another prospect I like as a late first or second round pick is Maoli from USC. IMO another excellent ng prospect. Powerful and plays with a nasty attitude.

denverYooper
01-21-2009, 10:54 AM

Sapp is 6'2".

I didn't know they piled shit that high.

Lurker64
01-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Raji continues to dominate Senior Bowl practices and may not be available at #9.

The thing is though, pick any player in the draft. That player may be available at #9, and that player may not be available at #9. There's a case to be made for any of the likely top 10 guys to be made at #9 (though the Crabtree one is weak).

My guess is that Raji has a great senior bowl, but a combine that doesn't stun you, and if he's there at 9 we'll take him. If he's not there at #9 we'll take somebody else at #9, perhaps somebody who would have otherwise gone before #9. Nobody expected Whitner to the Bills at #9 in 2006, so surprises do happen in the top 10.

Patler
01-21-2009, 11:21 AM
...If he's not there at #9 we'll take somebody else at #9, ....

Unlike the Vikings who "passed" when their guy was gone a couple years ago!
(It was the Vikings, wasn't it?)

Joemailman
01-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Raji is the talk of practice this week:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Senior+Bowl/2008/raji012209.htm

Farley Face
01-23-2009, 10:46 PM

Sapp is 6'2".

I didn't know they piled shit that high.

rimshot. big laugh, thanks.

oregonpackfan
01-24-2009, 12:59 PM
If Raji can consistently handle the likes of Max Unger, I am very impressed.

Unger played center for the Ducks and is one of the best offensive linemen Oregon has ever had. He and RB Jeremiah Johnson are probably the best NFL prospects the Ducks have to offer, IMO.

Fred's Slacks
01-24-2009, 03:14 PM
I like what I've seen and read about Unger too. He's smart, versatile and athletic. I would love to get him in the second but doubt he'll still be around. Getting Raji in the first and Unger in the second, that'd be a good first day.