PDA

View Full Version : WHO ARE THESE GUYS? - Packer Longshot Prospects.

woodbuck27
07-07-2006, 10:17 AM
WHO ARE THESE GUYS?
PROFILES OF THE "LONG SHOT" PROSPECTS

by Jerry Gilbert

Every year The Green Bay Packers sign twenty or more young free agents, most of whom will never earn a living playing football. They are playing for the love of the game, and the dream, which is realistically shared by very few of them, that this year or next, they may actually stick with an NFL team. We will add players as training camp progresses.

WIDE RECEIVERS AND TIGHT ENDS

With the loss of Javon Walker, Terrence Murphy and Antonio Chatman, the 2006 Green Bay Packers begin the season with holes to fill on the roster. Donald Driver, with his lucrative contract extension, remains the number one receiver, but there are questions as to the other members of the 5 or 6 wide receiver group who will compose part of the final 53. Returning veterans Robert Ferguson and Rod Gardner along with free agent Mark Boerigter are in the mix along with draft choices Greg Jennings and Corey Rodgers. An injury or poor play by any of the favorites could create an opportunity for an unknown to step up.

At tight end, the 3 incumbents, Bubba Franks, David Martin and Donald Lee, are favored to keep their jobs. However, with Martin's injury history, at least one the other prospects may at least make the practice squad. Donald Lee himself was a "camp body" who finally made a roster, and his story may give hope to the contenders for this season.

CHRIS FRANCIES WR TEXAS ELPASO 6-1 193

The Packers had to compete with other teams to sign Francies and reports from the first minicamp indicated that he showed some promise. A consistently productive college receiver, Francies played in 43 consecutive games with at least one catch. At his pro day workout, he displayed 4.53 speed, along with a 36" vertical and 10-6 long jump, which cemented his status as an NFL quality athlete. He was also productive in his senior season, with 44 catches for 744 yards and 5 touchdowns, which culminated in his selection as most valuable player on offense. His career yards per catch average was an impressive 15.8. If Chris Francies proves that he can get open, and he shows something on special teams, he has a shot to make the squad as a possession receiver.

LEO BOOKMAN WR KANSAS 6-2 212

Leo Bookman's story is the complete opposite of Chris Francies. Bookman played cornerback in college and was not particularly successful. He quit the team on 2002 to concentrate on track. He is intriguing because of the size speed combination. A top level NCAA competitor in the sprints, Bookman has repeatedly run under 4.3 in the forty, and was reported to have run the fastest forty ever in the Hutson Center. The Packers, one of the few teams to evaluate this player, hope to teach him to be a wide receiver.

CALVIN RUSSELL WR TUSKEGEE 6-0 190

Calvin Russell has about average speed at 4.54 and showed a vertical of 36" with 22 bench press reps at his pro day. A late bloomer, Russell did not start until his senior season and began to show some promise. As a senior, he hauled in 42 passes for 668 yards and 5 touchdowns in addition to returning 13 kicks for 234 yards. Russell was also a sprinter on the track team at Tuskegee. Hanging on to Brett Favre passes will be his greatest challenge.

RUVELL MARTIN WR SAGINAW VALLEY STATE 6-4 217

Ruvell Martin is a street free agent who was in camp with San Diego in 2004. He was first or second team all conference as a junior and senior at the Division II level. Martin runs a 4.6 forty with a 37" vertical jump. In 2003, he totaled 54 passes for 632 yards and 5 touchdowns. Selected to play in the 2004 Cactus Bowl, Martin caught 5 passes for 98 yards and touchdown, which was an outstanding performance in an all star game. Despite getting some press for acrobatic catches in the minicamps, Martin remains a long shot to make the squad. On the other hand, Martin is learning to be a holder for the eventual Packer place kicker. That is another way to become valuable to a team.

GARRETT CROSS TE CALIFORNIA 6-4-245

One of the favorite receivers for Aaron Rodgers at Cal, Cross was with the Packers briefly last summer before being injured and returns for another shot. He has not had much chance to show what he can do at the pro level and lacks ideal size. However, in his senior season, he had 28 receptions for 339 yards including 5 touchdowns. He has goo d hands and can work himself open. Cross will probably lose out to more athletic tight ends.

ZAC ALCORN TE 6-4 260 BLACK HILLS STATE

Though playing against low level competition Alcorn has long been recognized as a player with the size and skills to play at nearly any level. Following an All Conference senior season in which he caught 58 passes for an impressive 809 yards with 7 touchdowns. Alcorn is also a stud in the weight room with a 490# squat and a 355 # bench press. He was selected for the Magnolia Bowl and has been called the best small school tight end prospect coming out of college this year.

TORY HUMPHREY 6-2 257 CENTRAL MICHIGAN

A player who stood out after he joined training camp last season and who hung around long enough to spend some tome with the team, Humphrey is probably the leading free agent tight end candidate because he has worked successfully in the offense. Following a senior season featuring 14 catches, 212 yards and 2 touchdowns, Humphrey signed with Indianapolis and joined the Packers after he was cut by the Colts. Most recently, Humphrey played for the successful Amsterdam Admirals in NFL Europe. We will see how he hold up after having already played an entire season.

woodbuck27
07-07-2006, 10:20 AM
By: Jerry Gilbert

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN

On the surface, there do not appear to be any roster spots for a street free agent on the Green Bay Packer defensive line. Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila and Aaron Kampman are set at defensive end with Mike Montgomery and Kenny Peterson in reserve. Veteran free agents Ryan Pickens and Kenderick Allen join returning veterans Cullen Jenkins, Colin Cole and Corey Williams. The Packers used draft choices to bring in tackle Johnny Jolly and pass rushing defensive end Dave Tollefson. On the other hand, draft choice disaster Donnell Washington has been cut and Kenny Peterson is using this last chance to prove he belongs. Jolly has an injury and could wind up inactive in his rookie season. One long shot defensive lineman just might make the final 53

JASON HUNTER APPALACHIAN STATE DE 6-4 243

One of the top prospects in this group, Jason Hunter is a superior athlete who has yet to prove himself as a football player. Unusually fast for a down lineman with a 4.54 forty, both at his March pro day and in practices for the Magnolia Classic, Hunter impressed scouts with his agility and tackling. However, that is only half the story. Jason Hunter came out of high school as a marginal prospect and was a slightly above average designated pass rusher in his first two years at 1-AA level Appalachian. For a combination of personal and academic reasons, Hunter sat out his junior year. That is apparently when the light turned on. Situated at starting right defensive end as a senior, Jason Hunter became a very disruptive player on defense. As a down lineman, he made 101 tackles, including 24.5 stops for loss and 13 sacks. He also scored three touchdowns, two on fumbles and one on an interception. Appalachian reached the 1-AA championship game, and Hunter was the defensive MVP. That put him the Magnolia Bowl where he was usually the most impressive defensive player on the field. He has continues to make plays in the no pads drills at min-camps. His problem is being too light to stand up to huge offensive tackles as a lineman, and he has no experience at linebacker. Until or until he can add 20 pounds without losing quickness or show he can be a linebacker, Hunter will be a nickel pass rusher and special teams performer. He has a shot.

MONTEZ MURPHY BAYLOR DE 6-5 256

The opposite of Jason Hunter, Murphy was a highly touted high school player who started much of his career at a top college program at Baylor, but he never developed as a playmaker. Possessing 4.9 speed and average agility and strength numbers for a defensive end, Murphy will have to show consistency. As a senior he showed big time production against Army and Texas Tech, but disappeared in other games. Montez Murphy could have a future, but not this year. . He is the type of player who may see time in NFL Europe as teams wait to see if he can put it all together.

JEROME NICHOLS WAKE FOREST DT 6-3 285

Jerome Nichols began his career at Wake Forest at defensive end, but played much better after moving inside as a senior. Picked up as a rookie free agent in 2005 by the Washington Redskins, Nichols did not make the squad, but the Packers saw enough potential to sign him and send him to Europe. The strategy may have worked. Starting all 10 games for Frankfurt, Nichols recorded 27 solo tackles and a league leading 6 sacks. He was named to the All Star team and was a serious candidate for defensive player of the year. Also among his list of accomplishments are 2 sacks when he played defensive end in 2004 at Wake Forest. One was against Phillip Rivers, the other against Matt Schaub. If he can display pass rush and ball skills on a consistent basis, Nichols has a chance to follow the example of Cullen Jenkins and turn NFLE success into a roster spot in Green Bay.

woodbuck27
07-07-2006, 10:25 AM
by Jerry Gilbert

OFFENSIVE LINE

The Green Bay Packer offensive line is set for starting tackles with Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher. At every other starting and reserve position, there is a question as to who will emerge to make the final roster. Such a situation could present opportunities for an unknown to shine through. Last season, an undersized converted offensive tackle from Southern Mississippi, Chris White, made the team even though there were veterans and draft choices ahead of him at every position.

This season, White is one of the young prospects on the roster who will make it difficult for an undrafted player to stick. Joining White are guard Junius Costen, and guard or tackles William Whitticker and Adrian Klemm and, projected starting center, Scott Wells. The bigger hurdle for the unknowns, however is the crop of promising rookie draft choices. Second round selection Darren Colledge and third rounder Jason Spitz are currently penciled in as starting guards. It is almost unthinkable that the coaches would choose an unproven player to back them up. At offensive tackle, although Kevin Barry is out with a season ending injury, Tony Moll was drafted as a potential left tackle. Junius Costen, William Whitticker and Adrian Klemm are also considered to be candidates for reserves at tackle. Nevertheless, extra bodies are needed for practice, and one of these players may have a future.

WAYNE LUCIER G/C 6-4 315 COLORADO

Wayne Lucier is the free agent with the best chance to make the team. He has some proven success as an NFL lineman on his resume, and he has played all three interior positions. He rates unknown status because, in spite of two seasons in which he usually started for the New York Giants, Lucier was out of football last season. In other words, he was available and no one signed him.

The concern may be durability. His rookie year, in which he started 11 games, was cut short by injury. In 2004, the season in which Lucier helped pave the way for Tiki Barber to enjoy a record setting season, he again sustained injuries. This is ironic because it was injuries to projected starters that gave him his initial opportunity. Once the higher rated players were ready to go, his past play was not enough to keep him on the 2005 Giants roster.

Wayne Lucier started his collegiate career at Northwestern and switched to Colorado. He was all Big 12 as a senior and made two All America teams. As a pro, he was recognized following the 2004 campaign for most key run blocks. If Lucier can play up to his potential at three positions, there could be a place for him as a reserve on the Green Bay offensive line.

JOSH BOURKE OT 6-7 310 GRAND VALLEY STATE

With all his experience having been at the Division II level, Bourke will beat the odds if he makes it in the National Football League. What he offers is the size and athleticism to play left tackle, and every team needs a reserve at that position. With the injuries to Clifton and Klemm, Bourke gained experience during minicamps, and will gain more reps at Training Camp if injuries continue to hamper the veterans.

A starter in 38 consecutive games over three seasons for the highly successful Grand Valley Team. Bourke was a key part of a team with a 42-2 record during his career. In his senior season, the offensive line contributed to an average of 439.6 yards per game and allowed only 19 quarterback sacks. His league selected him offensive lineman of the year, and he played in the Cactus Bowl as a result of being named to several all America units.

At his pro day, Josh Bourke produced a 5.22 forty and a 7.45 three cone shuttle. He benched 27 reps at 225# and long jumped 8-2. As a comparison Jason Spitz, who may start this season, displayed a 5.4 forty, 7.82 on the shuttle, 25 bench reps and 8-6 on the long jump. Bourke has an NFL body and sufficient raw skills. That is why he is in camp this season.

PETE TRAYNOR G/C 6-3 311 IOWA

Never a starter in college at Iowa, Peter Traynor signed with the Quad Cities Arena League Team and has been a valuable contributor to that team for three seasons. The Packers signed him and dispatched Traynor to Germany to play for Rhein in NFL Europe.

Primarily a defensive standout at Milton High School in Wisconsin, Traynor was also an outstanding high school wrestler as was Green Bay Center Scott Wells. The fact that he was second team at Iowa is not a disqualifier necessarily because of the outstanding linemen that have started at that program over the past several seasons. Nevertheless, success in the Arena Leagues has seldom translated into success as an NFL lineman. Traynor is strictly a camp body.

MTPackerfan
07-07-2006, 10:37 AM
great post woodbuck, thanks for the information. This is stuff I wouldn't see otherwise.

Badgepack
07-07-2006, 10:47 AM
What a great gift to have Woodbuck and others posting these Packer stories. I don't have to search numerous web sites for Packer News, it's all right here. Thanks once again to Packerrat and it's members. Not to mention that I would not find half the stuff that Woodbuck finds.

woodbuck27
07-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Thanks guys but this is a pleasure for me and a hobby as well.

I want all Packer fans to have the oportunity to be as informed as possible and for this Forum to be a fine site or one of the BEST Fan sites, where we all grow as football fans.

That is the least I can do for the privalege as a member here.

CaliforniaCheez
07-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Of all these guys I'm hearing that Ruvell Martin and Tra Boeger have been performing the best in the OTA's.

In reality these guys are all competing for the 8 practice squad spots.

Willard
07-07-2006, 05:50 PM
This is really good stuff! It almost seems like this Gilbert fella knows what he is talking about. :wink:

I am hoping a new pass rusher emerges. If Peterson or Montgomery step up - fine. If not, perhaps Jason Hunter (@ 250+ #) can get it done.

I also like the potential of Alcorn as our 3rd TE if he beats out Martin. Worst case, stick him on the PS until Martin gets hurt. :roll:

Joemailman
07-07-2006, 08:03 PM
I thought it was interesting that Ruvell Martin is being taught to be a holder. This would seem to suggest the Packers feel he has a legitimate chance to make the team. However, I wonder if this also means that the Packers are dissatisfied with Rodgers, Sander and Ryan.

I also think Jason Hunter has a legitimate to make the team, especially if he shows some real ability on special teams.

Bretsky
07-07-2006, 10:20 PM
I thought it was interesting that Ruvell Martin is being taught to be a holder. This would seem to suggest the Packers feel he has a legitimate chance to make the team. However, I wonder if this also means that the Packers are dissatisfied with Rodgers, Sander and Ryan.

I also think Jason Hunter has a legitimate to make the team, especially if he shows some real ability on special teams.

Well, Sanders was nothing short of an absoulute nightmare as a holder last year.

He was apparently better than Rodgers since he was holding.

So they are just looking for anybody competent at this point IMO.

the_idle_threat
07-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Come training camp, look for each of these guys to be featured individually in a glowing story at JSO---a tale of struggle and inspriation which leads up to this longshot chance at a pro career with the Green Bay Packers.

And then they get cut.

Happens every year with the bottom-of-the-roster guys.

CaliforniaCheez
07-08-2006, 12:15 AM
Come training camp, look for each of these guys to be featured individually in a glowing story at JSO---a tale of struggle and inspriation which leads up to this longshot chance at a pro career with the Green Bay Packers.

And then they get cut.

Happens every year with the bottom-of-the-roster guys.

That truth is painful!! but you're right.

I think it is human nature to pull for one of these guys when you see them make some plays.

Last year I liked Manning, Leigh Torrence and Zack Woodfin. In your heart you know they have good talent and with some playing time maybe turn into a player. Sadly they fall short. It would happen if there were 40 roster spots or 75.

Every year there is a head cratcher too. Last year it was Chris White.

The worst was keeping Derreck Combs and cutting Frank Winters. Combs was cut well before the draft choice payment for him was due. Frank was cheap at that point.

It will be interesting this year. Tuesday after the Monday night game they have to be to 65 and the following Sunday of Labor Day weekend they have to be at 53. In between they have a Friday Night game. Over 30 players in 6 days. Pay attention that week!!

KYPack
07-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Yeah Buck Buck this is some good stuff.

Man, I didn't know a thing about Wayne Lucier. He sounds like he might help. We need 4 - 5 guys to come out of the woodwork and raise our talent level. Especially in OLine. last year we had two terrible guards and a wounded center.

woodbuck27
07-08-2006, 02:56 PM

Well, Sanders was nothing short of an absoulute nightmare as a holder last year.

Just wanted to say HELLO to you man.

woodbuck27
07-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Yeah Buck Buck this is some good stuff.

Man, I didn't know a thing about Wayne Lucier. He sounds like he might help. We need 4 - 5 guys to come out of the woodwork and raise our talent level. Especially in OLine. last year we had two terrible guards and a wounded center.

KY

JOSH BOURKE OT 6-7 310 GRAND VALLEY STATE may have the most upside. I hope those underdogs fight like hell for a position.

It's really going to be an interesting TC for the Packer Fans that frequent this site. What is it - just 18 days away KY?

GO PACKERS !

Bretsky
07-08-2006, 03:29 PM

Just wanted to say HELLO to you man.

Hey Woody,

It's great to see ya back ! How is the homefront these days ?

Weather not too bad in Wisconsin, but with housing market slowing the job is not as busy as I'd like it to be.

Hope all is well,
Bretsky

woodbuck27
07-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Hey Woody,

It's great to see ya back ! How is the homefront these days ?

Weather not too bad in Wisconsin, but with housing market slowing the job is not as busy as I'd like it to be.

Hope all is well,
Bretsky

Bretsky thanks for that. Just asking man.

YOU are doing alot better than I am, my FRIEND.

I love to see your posts and respect your contribution here.You really are more like me than any other poster I've come to know on this site. This is a really wonderful place to come to.

I have my battles Bud, and I am under all circumstances considered, doing the best I can to cope. Life can certainly challenge anyone to the MAX at times, and that is where I am.

If it wasn't for this place to come away from it all - I would not be as I am.

Cautiously strong.

It's my ship and I am my captain.

BEST Regards - Buddy - To YOU and your wife and Family.