PDA

View Full Version : Lord Favre replaced by collins in pro-bowl...

MOBB DEEP
01-21-2009, 09:51 AM
predictably favre's not attending...

im praying this means he hasnt played his last game in an nfl uni....

i would think if he's going to retire he should/would attend 1 more all star game!

cpk1994
01-21-2009, 09:55 AM

i would think if he's going to retire he should/would attend 1 more all star game!PLease. Favre doesn't give a damn about the Pro Bowl. IF he did, he would have attended more instead of making excuses, though in this case his selection was a farce anyway.

Pugger
01-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Favre hasn't played in the probowl in eons so this is no surprise. But RIVERS should be there instead of Collins if anyone asks me.

Kiwon
01-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Seems like the wife and the kids wouldn't mind spending a few days in Hawaii sometime.

I don't get Farve's indifference about the Pro Bowl.

Gunakor
01-21-2009, 12:18 PM

i would think if he's going to retire he should/would attend 1 more all star game!

Rex Ryan isn't going to want him as his QB this year. So if Favre is going to play another year in an NFL uni, it won't be a green one.

For his sake, I'd love to see him in Tampa if he is going to play another season.

Zool
01-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Favre hasn't played in the probowl in eons so this is no surprise. But RIVERS should be there instead of Collins if anyone asks me.

Rivers was next in line to replace Favre but he's got a sore knee and he backed out. Collins was 2nd alt.

GrnBay007
01-21-2009, 03:58 PM
For his sake, I'd love to see him in Tampa if he is going to play another season.

Because of the climate or the team?

packinpatland
01-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Seems like the wife and the kids wouldn't mind spending a few days in Hawaii sometime.

I don't get Favre's indifference about the Pro Bowl.

Kind if debunks the 'need for the spotlight' theory......

Gunakor wrote:

That's a really good question....

The Shadow
01-21-2009, 04:40 PM

Not at all : at the Pro Bowl, you'd have to share the spotlight with other great players.

channtheman
01-21-2009, 05:42 PM

Yeah. That has me confused too. Shouldn't Rivers, you know, the guy with the highest rating this year be there as an alternate? This just goes to show how pathetic the Pro Bowl really is. Not only does Rivers not make it as a starter, he's not even an alternate.

EDIT: I read Zool's explanation after I posted this. I see now. Still I think the pro bowl is lame based only on Rivers not getting in originally.

Gunakor
01-21-2009, 07:35 PM

Climate. Less likely he'll melt down when winter comes. Not to mention it's closer to home.

And team as well, because there's a chance we'd get to play against him in the postseason.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-21-2009, 07:38 PM

Yeah. I'm sure Brett is pinching pennies and the fam will have to wait till next year to do Hawaii. :roll:

Indifference? Perhaps you should explain your "difference" to it. The pro bowl is the worst all star game of them all.

I'd rather watch reruns of the Battle of the Network Superstars than the Pro bowl.

GrnBay007
01-21-2009, 07:45 PM

Climate. Less likely he'll melt down when winter comes. Not to mention it's closer to home.

And team as well, because there's a chance we'd get to play against him in the postseason.

He used to say he'd rather play in the cold rather than the heat. True his play has dropped off when it's very cold.

Seems odd a once Favre fan would find happiness in playing AGAINST him....but, oh well to each their own. What would you say if that would happen and he would light it up against us?

pbmax
01-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Battle of the Network Stars was Must See TV. I loved that stupid show. Especially all the lovely women and girls in swimsuits during the always televised swimming competition.

Gunakor
01-21-2009, 07:49 PM

He used to say he'd rather play in the cold rather than the heat. True his play has dropped off when it's very cold.

Seems odd a once Favre fan would find happiness in playing AGAINST him....but, oh well to each their own. What would you say if that would happen and he would light it up against us?

Congratulations.

Of course, originally I said "For his sake..." and I believe, for HIS sake, he'd enjoy playing us very much.

For the record, I think our secondary is better than any he's faced in quite some time in a real game. I don't think he'd have as much success against us as you'd think.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Battle of the Network Stars was Must See TV. I loved that stupid show. Especially all the lovely women and girls in swimsuits during the always televised swimming competition.

You don't mess with Robert Conrad, my friend. :lol:

I also loved those shows were they had athletes from different sports compete against each other..forget the name.

I do recall that (can't recall his name..something jr. i think...i think his father played pro football..somebody help me out), who was a soccer player beat a bunch of football, basketball, etc. players.

Pacopete4
01-21-2009, 07:58 PM
I think the reasons at the same he doesn't really hang around teammates anymore. The pro bowl is a big party for players, Favre is no longer that so he chooses not to go.

On a side note some of you are redic. You bitch and moan about absolutely everything about the guy no matter what it happens to be. Now I know what he meant by it got hard to be Brett Favre.

Gunakor
01-21-2009, 07:59 PM
I think the reasons at the same he doesn't really hang around teammates anymore. The pro bowl is a big party for players, Favre is no longer that so he chooses not to go.

On a side note some of you are redic. You bitch and moan about absolutely everything about the guy no matter what it happens to be. Now I know what he meant by it got hard to be Brett Favre.

Who's bitching?

GrnBay007
01-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Of course, originally I said "For his sake..." and I believe, for HIS sake, he'd enjoy playing us very much.

For the record, I think our secondary is better than any he's faced in quite some time in a real game. I don't think he'd have as much success against us as you'd think.

Hmm, I don't remember him every saying he'd enjoy playing against the Packers.....not sure where you got that.

I never said he'd have success against "us". Just asked what you might say if he did happen to play the Packers and did happen to light it up.

Gunakor
01-21-2009, 08:14 PM
[quote=Gunakor]

Hmm, I don't remember him every saying he'd enjoy playing against the Packer.....not sure where you got that.

There was an interview a couple weeks into the '08 season, when both teams looked to be cruising twoard the playoffs. He was asked what he'd think about a Jets/Packers Super Bowl, and his face lit up with excitement. You could tell he very badly wanted to play against the Packers.

MJZiggy
01-21-2009, 08:29 PM
When the rumors were swirling about him going to MN, didn't he outright say that he wanted to play against us?

Packers4Ever
01-21-2009, 08:59 PM

Not at all : at the Pro Bowl, you'd have to share the spotlight with other great players.

I understand the pro bowl has become more of a popularity
contest than anything else anyway, another reason players
don't show up for it. Kind of sad...

GrnBay007
01-21-2009, 08:59 PM
[quote=Gunakor]

Hmm, I don't remember him every saying he'd enjoy playing against the Packer.....not sure where you got that.

There was an interview a couple weeks into the '08 season, when both teams looked to be cruising twoard the playoffs. He was asked what he'd think about a Jets/Packers Super Bowl, and his face lit up with excitement. You could tell he very badly wanted to play against the Packers.

It wasn't just the idea of going to the Super Bowl again? I would think that would mean more.

GrnBay007
01-21-2009, 09:03 PM
When the rumors were swirling about him going to MN, didn't he outright say that he wanted to play against us?

You mean the same time the rumors were "swirling" about him having a Packer issued cell phone? ....that were false. Everyone has the right to believe what they want.

Anyway, who cares. I wouldn't blame him for wanting to play against the team that ditched him. It's all about competition after all.

packinpatland
01-21-2009, 09:39 PM

It's something that has evolved into something that is meaningless.
Fans should not be allowed to vote. It meant something when you were voted in by your peers.

Rastak
01-21-2009, 10:06 PM

It's something that has evolved into something that is meaningless.
Fans should not be allowed to vote. It meant something when you were voted in by your peers.

You folks do realize that fans only have a partial say in this, right? The fan vote, coach vote and player vote are all factored in.

packinpatland
01-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Do you know how it's divided?

sepporepi
01-22-2009, 05:23 AM
1/3 each as far as I know.

vince
01-22-2009, 06:09 AM
The biggest problem with the pro-bowl voting is that it ends too early in the year - essentially before that last 5 games of the season are even played. That's for fans, coaches and players.

So when a player and team - like Favre and the Jets - are playing well and right in the hunt at that point - but then shit the can the last 6 games or so, none of the bad play is taken into account. Conversely, a guy and team like Rivers and the Chargers, who make a huge comeback at the end of the regular season to finish strong have that finish totally ignored because the voting has already been closed and tallied.

It causes people to make it who don't ultimately deserve it and people who ultimately deserve it to not make it.

There is obviously a reason for this, but I can't figure out a good one, since the regular season ends a full 7 weeks before the actual game. What's the rush to close the balloting and tally the more than votes 2 1/2 months before the game?

I'd say they should wait to OPEN the balloting until the season is complete. Or at a minimum, if they have to catch players before most of them check out the day after the season ends, wait until the last week of the season. Perhaps the more timely hype would even increase interest in the game...

The pro-bowl should be a reward for outstanding regular season play - the whole regular season - not the first 65% of it.

Another problem is that the player voting is a joke. Here's how Matt Bowen, former safety with the Packers and Redskins describes it.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2008/12/the-politics-of-the-pro-bowl-vote/

The Politics Of The Pro Bowl Vote

Now that the names of the 2008 Pro Bowl roster are starting to come out — complete with analysis, moaning and scratching of heads — I thought it would be pertinent to discuss how the players vote for this thing.

As some of you already know, votes are divided into thirds, with the media, fans and players all getting a share of the process. The fans usually vote for the names they hear on ESPN, the media usually votes for whomever is being talked about the most in magazines, and the players, well, they try and sabotage the whole thing.

Sabotage?

Sure. Maybe there’s a better word, just like NFP Fantasy expert Joe Fortenbaugh can pick a better jersey to wear to Eagles games than his 2003 Todd Pinkston jersey (at least it’s better than his Freddie Mitchell jersey). You see, the players vote, just like the fans, but they can’t vote for guys on their own teams.

Thus, the sabotage begins.

Let me explain. When I was a Redskin, we would break into groups by position. As a collective unit, we would talk, discuss, complain and figure out whom we wanted to play in Hawaii after the Super Bowl. Only one rule really stood out: NO COWBOYS.

Simple as that. There was no way possible we would vote for a Cowboys offensive player (defensive players vote for offense only). No chance. In fact, we would vote for anybody, and I mean anybody, who didn’t play in the NFC East, or would challenge our own guys such as Santana Moss or Clinton Portis. We wanted to see our own guys in the Pro Bowl, so we would write the names of guys who stood no chance of garnering enough votes, like Fortenbaugh’s boy Pinkston.

What about Buffalo? Well, it was more of the same. Absolutely, and I mean absolutely, we had one rule: NO PATRIOTS. Sorry, Tom Brady, but you were not going to get a vote from us. We tried our hardest to get Lee Evans across the water by writing in the names of a team’s third and fourth wideouts.

The same could be said for the respective offenses I played with. They voted for backups and role players on opposing defenses so we could get some votes (Not that I would, because I was one of the scrubs that the Patriots’ players probably wrote in). You see, it goes hand in hand, and it happens with every team across the league.

In saying this, when you take a look at the Pro Bowl roster today, you can be sure that this vote most likely came down to the fans and the media. Is it fair? No, it isn’t, but neither is the Pro Bowl. It has become a popularity contest, no different than the student council elections you had in high school. The discussions from TV talking heads will be heated, controversy will rain from the sky and the world will be in an upheaval because someone was left off of the list.

Please, this vote isn’t real anyway. The players try to rig it so their own guys make it, and the media, well, they really don’t know who or what they should vote for. If anything, the fans are the major players here. At least they watch the games.

However, remember this: The guys complaining on TV are the same guys who cast a vote.

Politics in the NFL. You gotta love it.
Bowen says it's the media and not the coaches who get the last third of the vote, but I think Ras is right about the coaches getting the last third.

Patler
01-22-2009, 06:43 AM

You mean the same time the rumors were "swirling" about him having a Packer issued cell phone? ....that were false. Everyone has the right to believe what they want.

Anyway, who cares. I wouldn't blame him for wanting to play against the team that ditched him. It's all about competition after all.

Actually, he did. From the State Journal, a quote from Favre:

Asked what his objective is in wanting to play again, Favre texted, "My intentions have been to play, and with Green Bay. They say no, so I still want to play in this division for obvious reasons, which I made clear to management. If they won't let me play in Green Bay, let me play against you. That's where I am."

cpk1994
01-22-2009, 07:15 AM

Asked what his objective is in wanting to play again, Favre texted, "My intentions have been to play, and with Green Bay. They say no, so I still want to play in this division for obvious reasons, which I made clear to management. If they won't let me play in Green Bay, let me play against you. That's where I am."

Bam! Another one Patlerized! :lol:

Pacopete4
01-22-2009, 07:28 AM

Bam! Another one Patlerized! :lol:

Whether he did or didn't, I remember him wanting to by the way, who gives a shit? There isn't one of us on these board who wouldn't feel the same way. God damn sometimes fans as idiots..

Patler
01-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Whether he did or didn't, I remember him wanting to by the way, who gives a shit? There isn't one of us on these board who wouldn't feel the same way. God damn sometimes fans as idiots..

Well...it was a matter of interest to some, so that being the case we might as well be accurate in the discussion, don't you agree?

Not everyone is vindictive. Some people choose to get past difficult times by moving forward instead of looking for revenge.

Pacopete4
01-22-2009, 07:53 AM

Well...it was a matter of interest to some, so that being the case we might as well be accurate in the discussion, don't you agree?

Not everyone is vindictive. Some people choose to get past difficult times by moving forward instead of looking for revenge.

Show me an athlete that thinks like that.. Please? Wonder if if we even have any on this board or maybe there just to old and lost there competetive spirit.

Patler
01-22-2009, 08:04 AM
Show me an athlete that thinks like that.. Please? Wonder if if we even have any on this board or maybe there just to old and lost there competetive spirit.

Wayne Gretsky. Never wanted to leave Edmonton. Was devastated by it, but realized that the team had no other option (for lots of reasons).

Pacopete4
01-22-2009, 08:09 AM

Wayne Gretsky. Never wanted to leave Edmonton. Was devastated by it, but realized that the team had no other option (for lots of reasons).

Different situation, but that's fine... I would bet that he wanted to score 100 goals against Edmonton everytime they played. It's competetive nature, if Favre didn't ant to stick it to us, he wouldn't be the great comptetor everyone says he is.

Noodle
01-22-2009, 04:40 PM

I also loved those shows were they had athletes from different sports compete against each other..forget the name.

I do recall that (can't recall his name..something jr. i think...i think his father played pro football..somebody help me out), who was a soccer player beat a bunch of football, basketball, etc. players.

The show you're thinking of was "The Superstars," and it was excellent. I can't imagine pros risking injury or their egos to do this kind of show now, but that obstacle course thing was always must watch TV.

Oh, and that soccer player dude who won all the time was Kyle Rote, Jr. His old man played for the NY Football Giants back in the day.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-22-2009, 04:48 PM

The show you're thinking of was "The Superstars," and it was excellent. I can't imagine pros risking injury or their egos to do this kind of show now, but that obstacle course thing was always must watch TV.

Oh, and that soccer player dude who won all the time was Kyle Rote, Jr. His old man played for the NY Football Giants back in the day.

Thank you. I think i provided enough clues for somebody to get it.

I dont' think it is a matter of injury or ego...i think they get paid so much more today that they don't need the extra dough.

Another classic show was Steve Garvey's Celebrity Billfish Tournament . My god, filming Garvey and friends out on a boat fishing!!!

They don't make tv like that anymore.

mraynrand
01-22-2009, 06:38 PM

I dont' think it is a matter of injury or ego...i think they get paid so much more today that they don't need the extra dough.

Another classic show was Steve Garvey's Celebrity Billfish Tournament . My god, filming Garvey and friends out on a boat fishing!!!

I thought maybe you were talking about 'Battle of the Network Stars' Must miss TV -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huDFhd-It5k

mraynrand
01-22-2009, 06:43 PM

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Patlerized.jpg

GrnBay007
01-22-2009, 07:51 PM

You know, it's funny how so many of you will take any statement or even partial statement from Favre to make him out to be some sort of a monster. If it makes you all feel better doing that since he is no longer a Packer, go for it. Like others have said, he's human and was upset the Packers no longer wanted him. So many pile on the Favre was bigger than the team theory. I don't buy it. He wanted to continue to play and his heart was with the Green Bay Packers. He's obviously an extremely competitive person and probably a natural response from anyone being rejected for something they care for deeply he replied with you don't want me, let me play against you.

My original comment was based on the statement from zig, "When the rumors were swirling about him going to MN, didn't he outright say that he wanted to play against us?" It's not like he decided to un-retire and immediately wanted to play against the Packers. That happened during a time that I'm sure was extremely emotional for all parties involved. I'm sure every one of you have done nothing but handle yourself with extreme grace during every emotionally charged event in your life. ...and if you can say yes to that, I'm betting you are one cold mo-fo. He's gone. How about everyone just get off him.

And last but not least, yes, I was sorta "Patlerized". :D And I'm sure I'll be a better person because of it. :tup:

Tyrone Bigguns
01-22-2009, 07:55 PM

I thought maybe you were talking about 'Battle of the Network Stars' Must miss TV -

Nope. And, that was already discussed. And, it was definitely must see tv.

mraynrand
01-22-2009, 08:31 PM

You know, it's funny how so many of you will take any statement or even partial statement from Favre to make him out to be some sort of a monster. If it makes you all feel better doing that since he is no longer a Packer, go for it. Like others have said, he's human and was upset the Packers no longer wanted him. So many pile on the Favre was bigger than the team theory. I don't buy it. He wanted to continue to play and his heart was with the Green Bay Packers. He's obviously an extremely competitive person and probably a natural response from anyone being rejected for something they care for deeply he replied with you don't want me, let me play against you.

My original comment was based on the statement from zig, "When the rumors were swirling about him going to MN, didn't he outright say that he wanted to play against us?" It's not like he decided to un-retire and immediately wanted to play against the Packers. That happened during a time that I'm sure was extremely emotional for all parties involved. I'm sure every one of you have done nothing but handle yourself with extreme grace during every emotionally charged event in your life. ...and if you can say yes to that, I'm betting you are one cold mo-fo. He's gone. How about everyone just get off him.

And last but not least, yes, I was sorta "Patlerized". :D And I'm sure I'll be a better person because of it. :tup:

Relax. At the end of the deal, Favre was vindictive. It's undeniable. He even said so in his presser with the Jets. For those of us who love the guy, it was a bitter pill to swallow. And yes, you were Patlerized. Join the club.

mraynrand
01-22-2009, 08:32 PM

I came in during the middle of the show. I guess seeing Billy Crystal choking himself in the ropes is pretty funny, but 'Network Stars' was pretty damn lame.

RashanGary
01-22-2009, 08:36 PM
It's nice to see the occasional Favre thread pop up as opposed to the every third thread ritual. I'm sure his name will get tossed around for a long time, like we do with Reggie White. Maybe even more because he was here so long.

That said, what a relief to have him far in the background. We have so many other fun things to discuss, it's nice not to have to think about him very often. After the long career, all I have left to say is thanks but good riddence. It's a blessing to have a bunch of team first guys. Really, I'd take losing with guys I respect over winning with him although, I'm pretty sure we don't have to make that choice. We can have the best of both worlds in Teds Green Bay.

GrnBay007
01-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Relax. At the end of the deal, Favre was vindictive. It's undeniable. He even said so in his presser with the Jets. For those of us who love the guy, it was a bitter pill to swallow. And yes, you were Patlerized. Join the club.

I'm not the one that seems to need to relax, but thanks anyway. I'm completely content with him still wanting to play. I'm a Favre fan and will watch him where ever he goes. And OMG.....I'm still a Packer fan!!! Imagine that!! Someone that can be a fan of an individual player AND a team!!! :shock:

Anyway, what I was trying to express is that that yeah, maybe he was vindictive and yeah, I can admit that and still understand why. I feel so ashamed that I'm not one of those that live in a glass house!! :wink:

GrnBay007
01-22-2009, 09:14 PM
We can have the best of both worlds in Teds Green Bay.

I'm only sorry I don't know how to sew. If I did, you would be top priority to get a custom set of knee pads both shaped in a "T".

Tyrone Bigguns
01-22-2009, 09:19 PM

I came in during the middle of the show. I guess seeing Billy Crystal choking himself in the ropes is pretty funny, but 'Network Stars' was pretty damn lame.

The show was all about the hot actresses: Lynda Carter, Erin Gray, Cheryl Ladd, etc.

mraynrand
01-22-2009, 09:23 PM

I'm not the one that seems to need to relax, but thanks anyway. I'm completely content with him still wanting to play. I'm a Favre fan and will watch him where ever he goes. And OMG.....I'm still a Packer fan!!! Imagine that!! Someone that can be a fan of an individual player AND a team!!! :shock:

Anyway, what I was trying to express is that that yeah, maybe he was vindictive and yeah, I can admit that and still understand why. I feel so ashamed that I'm not one of those that live in a glass house!! :wink:

????

Tyrone Bigguns
01-22-2009, 09:24 PM

????

I think she meant glass dog house.

mraynrand
01-22-2009, 09:25 PM
The show was all about the hot actresses: Lynda Carter, Erin Gray, Cheryl Ladd, etc.

How soon we forget. Erin Gray....

mraynrand
01-22-2009, 09:26 PM

????

I think she meant glass dog house.

Woof.