PDA

View Full Version : The Packers OL - STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOUTH

woodbuck27
07-07-2006, 10:33 AM
STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOUTH

by Jerry Gilbert

This article is a commentary on the offensive line of the Green Bay Packers. As matters now stand in early July of 2006, it appears that the middle of the offensive line will be manned by rookie Daryn Colledge, third year draftee Scott Wells and another rookie, Jason Spitz. It has been said that youth must be served, but this is not a situation that will help quarterback Brett Favre sleep at night. The current top reserve at both guard positions is second year player Junius Coston.

The fine left and right offensive tackles for Green Bay, Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher may also miss some sleep should Donald Driver, Bubba Franks or both of them sustain an injury. Imagine a skill position group of Robert Ferguson, Rod Gardner and David Martin. Tauscher, one to the best examples of Packer People we may ever see, will have to be thinking, clowns to the left of me jokers to the right, here I am.

How bad is the offensive line situation? Youth alone is not a disqualifier. Both Tauscher and Clifton played well as rookies. Turning to the experience of another franchise, New England had a good season in 2005 starting two rookies in its offensive line, although they did not reach the Super Bowl as in years when veterans were in those positions. On the other hand, Scott Wells, who played both at left guard and center, and rookie William Whitticker, who started t at right guard last year, did not impress the coaches or the fans, and Junius Coston was not considered ready to challenge for a starting role. These players are young. Wells has played in about half the games the last two seasons. Spitz and Colledge have played in none. Coston was inactive for most games and only saw action for a few plays. These players have only the training camp and preseason games to develop competence as individuals and cohesion as a group. They will have to accomplish this with no significant reservoir of NFL experience to assist them.

The fact that offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski is installing an entirely new blocking scheme adds to the problem. Without that additional source of novelty and probable confusion, players such as Adrian Klemm, Tauscher and Clifton could provide many pointers to the young players. As matters stand, the veterans will have enough challenge simply learning their own positions, and little time or expertise to advise the newcomers.

Scott Wells has said he played in a zone blocking system as an undergraduate at Tennessee. It helps if the leader of the group has some understanding of what is required from the beginning, but a similar college system could still be quite different. Time will tell if this experience is of much benefit.

Events of the preseason have not improved the situation. Kevin Barry, who probably could not play guard in this offense anyway, was the only veteran guard candidate on the roster, and he sustained a season ending injury. His injury also reduces the likelihood of moving Mark Tauscher to guard, because Barry was the best alternative at tight tackle.

Moreover, the fact that Chad Clifton and his backup Adrian Klemm are both sitting out with injuries, means that the young lineman are working in with the equally inexperienced William Whitticker who is filling in at left tackle. No one can blame Whitticker who lacks experience at tackle as well as in a zone system. Four fifths of the starting group, and all the top reserves right now are very young players.

I think general manager Ted Thompson sees the problem. He did make a run at veteran Ross Verba, the former Packer draft choice who sat out last season in a contract dispute with Cleveland. Verba has since signed with Detroit. I suspect he is waiting to find a surplus lineman from Denver, Atlanta or another zone team. There are usually some serviceable veterans who are available as younger cheaper players prove themselves in preseason play. The problem is that these teams can see what I see, and they may be slow to release a likely candidate in hopes of working a trade for a Packer Draft choice.

I do not believe that the Packers want to risk a situation in which a young player is struggling and there is no veteran to replace him. That is the current situation. Until a veteran is added, the offensive line of the Green Bay Packers will be stuck in the middle with youth.

MTPackerfan
07-07-2006, 10:39 AM
keep the great articles coming woodbuck

pittstang5
07-07-2006, 10:57 AM
I'll feel a little more confident if TT signs a veteran guard between now and the start of the season for a back up role and experience for the younger guys. I would imagine that there will be one, somewhere, when teams start to shave their rosters down.

However, I'm not too concerned if two rookies start at the guard positions. They'll put the best players on the field. I just hope the coaches set the line early so the first unit has time to get familiar with each other. IMO, the musical chairs idea last year with the linemen did not help.

On a side note, I'd thought for sure that Coston, with a year under his belt, would be a shoe in at RG. It looks like Spitz is pushing for some playing time. Good for him! May the best man win.

woodbuck27
07-07-2006, 11:21 AM
I'll feel a little more confident if TT signs a veteran guard between now and the start of the season for a back up role and experience for the younger guys. I would imagine that there will be one, somewhere, when teams start to shave their rosters down.

However, I'm not too concerned if two rookies start at the guard positions. They'll put the best players on the field. I just hope the coaches set the line early so the first unit has time to get familiar with each other. IMO, the musical chairs idea last year with the linemen did not help.

On a side note, I'd thought for sure that Coston, with a year under his belt, would be a shoe in at RG. It looks like Spitz is pushing for some playing time. Good for him! May the best man win.

We are going to see a lot of fights for positions in TC and that will really peak OUR interest and reward us for OUR patience in this dull period of OUR season.

We need to see the BEST 53-man Roster.

TC is only three weeks away Packer fans.

GO Packers !

wist43
07-07-2006, 11:33 AM
There are going to be struggles - no doubt about that.

In time I think Colledge and Spitz will be okay... my biggest concern is with Wells. He performed okay against average/below average DT's, but was absolutely rag-dolled by some of the bigger DT's he faced.

To me, Wells is a big concern. If he doesn't learn to anchor against the bigger DT's, Brett will be running for his life - and, heaving balls up for grabs.

Mazzin
07-07-2006, 12:20 PM
woodbuck, i really really appreciate all the articles you put on this site, thank you!

woodbuck27
07-07-2006, 12:33 PM
woodbuck, i really really appreciate all the articles you put on this site, thank you!

It's my pleasure Mazzin and Thank You. :mrgreen:

Tony Oday
07-07-2006, 02:58 PM
I like that wells reminds me of bag of donughts :) I just hope they pick a line and STICK WITH IT!!!!!!! that is the biggest thing in the NFL at O line continuity :)

Oscar
07-07-2006, 03:27 PM
I think we all agree that whoever the starters are on the o-line they need to be in place early and get all the work as a unit. I wonder(and this may be stupid) if the new weight training system thats been installed will help a guy like Wells and some of the others that have been labeled as to small or lack strength?

AtlPackFan
07-07-2006, 03:48 PM
There are going to be struggles - no doubt about that.

In time I think Colledge and Spitz will be okay... my biggest concern is with Wells. He performed okay against average/below average DT's, but was absolutely rag-dolled by some of the bigger DT's he faced.

To me, Wells is a big concern. If he doesn't learn to anchor against the bigger DT's, Brett will be running for his life - and, heaving balls up for grabs.

Agree. Especially the part about Wells.

Harlan Huckleby
07-07-2006, 08:40 PM
That song "Stuck in the Middle with You" can never be the same again.

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/r/images/reservoir-dogs-10.jpg

MJZiggy
07-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Scary that I was thinking of that song as I was opening this thread.

KYPack
07-07-2006, 09:36 PM
That song "Stuck in the Middle with You" can never be the same again.

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/r/images/reservoir-dogs-10.jpg

Mike Madsen's from Milwaukee. The car he drove in "Reservoir" was his sister's ride.

Wist, I watch the Oline every game. Whitticker got rag dolled a bunch. Klemm fell over his own feet so hard, I thought they were gonna beat him to death. Flanagan was hurt and had the worst season of his Packer career.
Scott Wells played hard every play. When they got him, he got 'em back the next play. He's a good hustling kid who busts it each snap. Wells rag dolled ? Uh-uh. He got bested, but held his own. I disagree with you, I think Wells will hold his own this season.

Joemailman
07-07-2006, 10:17 PM
I agree that Wells should be fine. He will benefit from being able to concentrate on Center, his natural position, rather that switching between Center and Guard, as he did last year.

I wouldn't anoint Spitz as a starter just yet. I think Coston, and possibly Lucier will make a push there. I know Spitz has the early lead, but we're not even to training camp yet. Things can change when the pads go on and the intensity picks up.

wist43
07-08-2006, 06:21 AM
I don't doubt his effort, and he's got some ability. His greatest strength IMO, is his ability to block on the move.

That said, I too watch the OL a lot, and for my money, he got tossed around too much. Generally, these lapses happened in pass protection and against the bull rush. I saw enough of it for it to be a concern for me.

Hopefully, with another years experience and few more cups of sand in the bucket, he'll be able to anchor better this year.

KYPack
07-08-2006, 10:17 AM
I don't doubt his effort, and he's got some ability. His greatest strength IMO, is his ability to block on the move.

That said, I too watch the OL a lot, and for my money, he got tossed around too much. Generally, these lapses happened in pass protection and against the bull rush. I saw enough of it for it to be a concern for me.

Hopefully, with another years experience and few more cups of sand in the bucket, he'll be able to anchor better this year.

Some of this can be interpretation. I see him fightin, you see him losing. I still disagree with you, but let's agree to disagree.

The play that stood out in my mind was the Baltimore game. 48 - 3 and whooee! On an interception (Brett or ARod, who knows!?) Wellsy ran 34 yards down field to make the tackle. That showed me a lot. it takes heart to want to make a play in a horseshit game like that.

He's a tough kid with a ton of guts. You wouldn't make him your first pick, but you want him on your team. He's no all-pro, but he reminds me of Ken Bowman. A smaller C that is leather tough with a fightin' heart.

woodbuck27
07-08-2006, 03:51 PM

wist43:

I probably have read every post you have ever made at JSO and now on OUR Forum and what I respect in any person is his/her consistency and from that derived integrity.

I'm alot like you. Very guarded in my optimism about OUR fortunes this season. If we secure 7 wins, it's a good step forward, yet, when I look at the competition we will face - I sometimes elevate my hopes to think we may do alot better than most believe we will.

There are too many what if's but. . .

What if . . . we see Ahman Green have a good comeback and as a back-up Samkon Gado is for REAL? Najeh finally plays to his BEST potential? Favre goes to William Henderson more in the attack and Bubba gets the ball alot more and is not just a primary blocker on running downs?

What if . . . the OL protects Brett Favre remarkably well, and he doesn't have to bail out as often as last season? To run for his life!

What if . . . Brett Favre changes his style of play more and operates within the given situation and concentrates whole heartedly - on protecting the ball? Eat it - when it's best and takes those short gains, instead of launching it at the line of scrimmage with 'a wish and a prayer? He has to think longer term in that games situation. BE PATIENT.

That's what I'll be watching for. I believe in his GREATNESS.

What if . . . WR's like Ferguson, Gardner and Boerigter step up to meet their need for us. Real weapons for Brett favre to find? What if Greg Jennings gets his shot and challenges for Rookie of the year on offence?

What if. . . OUR "D" takes a REAL step forward from last season and establishes itself as a bonafide DEFENCE to be FEARED?

What if . . . to make that happen Charles Woodson gets to REAL and becomes a Packer Player and Al Harris plays his guts out to prove he deserves more money? Marquand Manuel and Nick Collins step up their games to punish the opposition - hit harder than blazes? Ryan Pickett fills in better than Grady Jackson 'at the nose' and we find a QB rush in Montgomery on running downs? or. . . KGB hard work on conditioning shows up in the season?[/b]

Too many. . . what if's?

I believe. . . it's possible.

GO Packers !! I choose to believe.

Bretsky
07-08-2006, 06:19 PM

LONG TERM it would not surprise me at all if Spitz is starting at Center. Short Term I have more confidence in Wells at Center then EITHER Guard

CaliforniaCheez
07-15-2006, 09:08 PM
There was a year when we had youth on the outside in rookies Tauscher and Clifton.

This year we have a highly rated guy in Colledge and Whitticker will have learned from his rookie campaign. If Spitz is good enough to beat out Whitticker all the better. Wells continues to improve.

Bringing in a guy with Klemm-like experience is not the answer. I'm willing to bet that Barry will be gone next year without problem. Klemm's contract is done at the end of the year.

There will likely be an OL drafted next year but almost all the new line is already there.

Hey fans some of you forget that young guys improve. Whitticker had a better rookie year than Flanagan, Wahle, and Rivera. Spitz and Colledge will only get better.