PDA

View Full Version : Cunningham named Lions D-Coordinator

Sparkey
01-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Gunther Cunningham leaves Chiefs for same job with Detroit
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Chiefs defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham took the same job today with the Detroit Lions.

He is the third Chiefs assistant coach to flee since the end of the season, joining secondary coach David Gibbs and special teams coordinator Mike Priefer. Gibbs went to Houston, Priefer to Denver..............http://www.kansascity.com/116/story/993457.html

I think a good hire on the part of the Lions. Also means that Detroit will stay with the 4-3, as thats what Cunningham ran at KC. I also read that K.C. is switching to a 3-4. What effect will that have on Glenn Dorsey ? He is a monster as a 4-3 end, but I don't think he fits as well into a 3-4 defense.

mission
01-21-2009, 03:39 PM
I didnt get a chance to watch him in the NFL this year but from what I remember of his frame at LSU, he should have no problem sliding inside and being disruptive.

Fritz
01-21-2009, 03:42 PM
The Lions are going German...Schwartz und Gunther.

So,.,.the Lions have a Gunther and the Packers have a Dominic.

Don't know who the Bears' DC is, but the Queens have a Leslie.

vince
01-21-2009, 03:58 PM
Bears have Vanilla Bob

Babich

I'm not sure the other Vanilla Bob wouldn't be an upgrade for them, but hey, who am I to say...

And if you wanted to look at it from a practical standpoint, you could say the Queens have Leslie and the Bears have Lovie...

pbmax
01-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Gunther could put a wrench into the dreams of armchair D coordinators throughout the state if he runs the 3-4 he took over from Marty and Cowher in Kansas City. Teams would get a lot more practice on it.

It's probably not a short term worry as Schwartz was a 4-3 guy and the Lions roster is built for the Tampa 2.

Rastak
01-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Bears have Vanilla Bob

Babich

I'm not sure the other Vanilla Bob wouldn't be an upgrade for them, but hey, who am I to say...

And if you wanted to look at it from a practical standpoint, you could say the Queens have Leslie and the Bears have Lovie...

And the "queens" kicked some ass on defense. If only the "fudgies" would have done as well. Okay, enough name calling, eh? As for Babich, he's been replaced by Mr. Howell (I mean Lovie).

Fritz
01-22-2009, 06:55 AM
You know we love you, Ras.

As for Gunther, the initial rumblings in Detroit suggest he'll run a 4-3.

Iron Mike
01-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Bears have Vanilla Bob

Babich

And the "queens" kicked some ass on defense.

Except for when it mattered.....against the Eagles. :wink: