PDA

View Full Version : Who wins the last game of the year?

sheepshead
01-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Tweety Birds or the Steel Curtain

(i'll bet the opposite) :lol:

texaspackerbacker
01-21-2009, 05:16 PM
The NFC in the Pro Bowl.

channtheman
01-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Arizona. Though I'm sure this poll will also change dramatically AFTER the game like that other one did. :lol:

GrnBay007
01-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Sunday, Feb. 1

Pittsburgh Steelers 6½ ARIZONA CARDINALS 47

I'll take the dog. :D

TennesseePackerBacker
01-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Sunday, Feb. 1

Initially I liked the Cards but now im on the fence about it. I normally lay a good chunk of money on the superbowl but this isnt as easy a call as Giants +14 last year. I like the Under 47 the best..but on big games I hardly ever play totals. I'm going with an early lean of Steelers minus the 6 1/2. Maybe I'll post a gambling thread closer to game time.

Brohm
01-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Cards keep rolling....

Partial
01-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Sunday, Feb. 1

I'll take the under :lol:. Don't know who's going to win. Fitz is the best player on the field yet again, but the Steelers have a lot more talent. My gut says Pittsburgh but one cannot count out the best player on the field taking over the game like he has in every other game so far during the playoffs.

DonHutson
01-22-2009, 11:35 AM
I would expect a low scoring slug it out type game with the Cardinals beating the spread.

But the Steelers win the game.

swede
01-22-2009, 01:18 PM
This is Super Bowl XX all over again.

The Steelers will absolutely bury the Cards and win 31-16.

oregonpackfan
01-22-2009, 10:58 PM
I also predict a big Steelers win. 34 to 21.

steve823
01-22-2009, 11:24 PM
Cards win in an upset and shutu up the dumb steeler fans. but really guys you should be rooting for the Cardinals. The Steelers won 5 superbowls and if they win again it will be 6. We will be number 1 eventually and if the steelers win it will only take longer :D

texaspackerbacker
01-23-2009, 07:54 AM
Cards win in an upset and shutu up the dumb steeler fans. but really guys you should be rooting for the Cardinals. The Steelers won 5 superbowls and if they win again it will be 6. We will be number 1 eventually and if the steelers win it will only take longer :D

EXCELLENT! It's nice to wake up and have this kind of positivity for the first thing I see in the forum. I may actually watch the game now.

The only other reason I had to care is liking a primarily offensive team over a defensive one.

Gunakor
01-23-2009, 01:32 PM

Oh I'll root for the Cards. I have all postseason. But the question posed was who do we think is GOING to win, not who we WANT to win. And while I readily admit I was wrong in my prediction that Carolina would beat them, I still believe that elite defense will beat elite offense nearly every time. Defense wins championships, and this one will be no different. So while I'd like to see the Cards win and will definitely be pulling for them, I can't honestly bring myself to predict a Cardinals victory. Just won't happen.

steve823
01-23-2009, 01:50 PM

Oh I'll root for the Cards. I have all postseason. But the question posed was who do we think is GOING to win, not who we WANT to win. And while I readily admit I was wrong in my prediction that Carolina would beat them, I still believe that elite defense will beat elite offense nearly every time. Defense wins championships, and this one will be no different. So while I'd like to see the Cards win and will definitely be pulling for them, I can't honestly bring myself to predict a Cardinals victory. Just won't happen.

I hope its a close game not a blowout either way. I would love to see it go to overtime in the SB havent seen that in a while.

woodbuck27
01-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Pittsburg.

That defense is solid. Now having stated that and to all. Bet Arizona. It's been that kind of season. Awesome to see as an NFL fan. 8-)

Tyrone Bigguns
01-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Sunday, Feb. 1

I'll take the under :lol:. Don't know who's going to win. Fitz is the best player on the field yet again, but the Steelers have a lot more talent. My gut says Pittsburgh but one cannot count out the best player on the field taking over the game like he has in every other game so far during the playoffs.

Best player on the field. :oops:

A certain safety on the Steelers has more all-pro recognition.

A certain LB has more all-pro and is this year's defensive player of the year.

gbgary
01-23-2009, 07:48 PM
i'll be pulling for arizona. that would top-off this completely screwed-up season perfectly. :D

Kiwon
01-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Rooting for the Cards.....but Pittsburgh has been there before.

If the Cardinals' D can contain Pittsburgh's offense then it might be a game.

If the Cards can pass protect and avoid turnovers then it might be a game.

I love the Cards offensive creativity combined with a smart QB in Warner, but they need a run game and pass protection to make it work.

I doubt that Arizona can hang with Pittsburgh for 60 minutes.

Nonetheless, it should be an entertaining game. Love Warner, love Pittsburgh's D, like the storylines coming from this game, and never would discount Hines Ward's potential impact.

I hope Arizona wins, but I doubt they will.

Little Whiskey
01-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Defense wins championships, and this one will be no different.

tell that to the bears a few years back when the colts handed it to them in the SB

Gunakor
01-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Defense wins championships, and this one will be no different.

tell that to the bears a few years back when the colts handed it to them in the SB

That was a much different Colts defense with Bob Sanders back in the lineup for the playoffs. And they played much better defense than the Bears did that day. You don't give up 30 points and win very often. My point stands, though from that perspective you could say defense loses championships too.

BooHoo
01-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Final Score:
Steelers 34
Cards 13

Half time score:
Steelers 17
Cards 7

This will be no contest! One of those games where you lose interest early in the 3rd quarter. :(

bbbffl66
01-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Pittsburgh to win, but I'm rooting for the Cards. How can you not love the story?

MadtownPacker
01-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Final Score:
Steelers 34
Cards 13

Half time score:
Steelers 17
Cards 7

This will be no contest! One of those games where you lose interest early in the 3rd quarter. :(This is kinda how I see it too. Thanks to the greatness of Sunday Ticket I have been able to watch several games of both teams. My belief is the Cards have not come across anything near what the Steelers will bring on defense. My only words or warning to the Steeler would be to Big Ben. I would tell him Kurt Warner aint Joe Flacco so dont expect his mediocre postseason stats to be good enough. He will need to keep the his offense moving down the field more consistently.

Zool
01-25-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm going to say the AFC beats the NFC in the pro bowl.

Freak Out
01-26-2009, 01:00 PM
If they keep Warner off the stretcher the Cards win.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-26-2009, 02:03 PM
Closer and closer we come to game time :) I can't wait. The betting public loves Arizona +7 right now, so...we could very well see a pretty crappy Steelers blowout :wink: The public is 61/39 on the Cards and the line has actually moved a 1/2 point in favor of the Cards. While line moves really aren't considered a telling sign until they've normally moved up to a point and a half difference in either direction from where they originally started, you can't discount this early move.

Steelers win by 10+

sheepshead
01-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Some great nostalgia for this weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oaiV8MQH7s

SnakeLH2006
01-30-2009, 01:56 AM
Steelers to win, but definitely rooting for the Cards and Warner. How can you hate that guy?

On a side note, I do respect the Steelers, and like several of their players and their coach, but is anyone rooting for the Steelers to win (bets aside)?

BooHoo
01-31-2009, 12:53 PM
Before the game: where your PJs, your slippers, and have your blanket, pillow, and favorite teddy bear close by because you will be sleeping by the end of the 3rd quarter. Sweet dreams! :)

MadtownPacker
01-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Before the game: where your PJs, your slippers, and have your blanket, pillow, and favorite teddy bear close by because you will be sleeping by the end of the 3rd quarter. Sweet dreams! :)Nah, this game will be good. I always enjoy a defensive mauling. The Steelers dont play NFC West defense.

MadtownPacker
01-31-2009, 02:47 PM
Steelers to win, but definitely rooting for the Cards and Warner. How can you hate that guy?

On a side note, I do respect the Steelers, and like several of their players and their coach, but is anyone rooting for the Steelers to win (bets aside)?Thats something I noticed too. Seems like everybody is rooting against them. Myself included. Guess I just want to see something different like AZ winning.

BZnDallas
01-31-2009, 05:48 PM
24-20 Pittsburgh wins it... though i will be rooting for a cardinals upset!!! just one mans opinion

Guiness
01-31-2009, 06:08 PM
Wow, lotsa love for Pitt here, but everyone's pulling for the Cards. I'm not a Pitt fan by any stretch, but I would still like to see them win it. Why? Because I like good, solid franchises that field good teams year after year, and build something. And AZ doesn't qualify as one, IMO. I think they're a one and done deal this year. They've got a sexy new stadium, managed to put a run together, but believe me, in 3yrs, they'll be forgotten, and the Cards will be a league doormat again. In 3 years time, Pittsburgh, on the other hand, will be right in it, contending for the divisional title again.

Know what this reminds me of? Last time Warner was in the SB, SB 36. NE's first win of the dynasty. Everyone thought the Rams were going to trounce them, and New England was a feel good underdog story!!!

I also think Pitt will win, because they'll get pressure on Warner, and I don't think he'll handle it that well. We've seen in the past, both in St-L and NY that he doesn't do well when pressured. It would be kind of ironic, though, if the NFC caught lightning in a bottle two years running, cause I think that's all AZ is.

KYPack
01-31-2009, 10:56 PM
Stealers in a close one.

I think the Cards + 7 is a good bet.

I wouldn't touch the over.

If the opening kick-off is returned for a touchdown, I can get a Papa John's pie for a quarter.

pbmax
01-31-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm going to say the AFC beats the NFC in the pro bowl.

Oh its on now turncoat! :lol:

Cardinals 34, Steelers 27

Warner might be one of the few QBs who can beat this team while being one dimensional. Because the Cardinals are not going to run on the Steelers D, I don't believe.

Bretsky
01-31-2009, 11:41 PM
Stealers in a close one.

If the opening kick-off is returned for a touchdown, I can get a Papa John's pie for a quarter.

Kind of funny

I was thinking when the line opened it was 6.5pts

And I was thinking I'd take Pitt with those odds

GrnBay007
01-31-2009, 11:47 PM
Cardinals 34, Steelers 27

:tup:

Go Kurt!!!!! :clap:

LL2
02-01-2009, 07:40 AM
I'm pulling for the underdog. Go Cardinals and old Kurt!

LP
02-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Wow, lotsa love for Pitt here, but everyone's pulling for the Cards. I'm not a Pitt fan by any stretch, but I would still like to see them win it. Why? Because I like good, solid franchises that field good teams year after year, and build something. And AZ doesn't qualify as one, IMO. I think they're a one and done deal this year. They've got a sexy new stadium, managed to put a run together, but believe me, in 3yrs, they'll be forgotten, and the Cards will be a league doormat again. In 3 years time, Pittsburgh, on the other hand, will be right in it, contending for the divisional title again.

Absolutely. The way the Bidwell's have run this franchise, they don't deserve a Lombardi Trophy.

Gunakor
02-01-2009, 11:03 AM
20-14 Steelers. The Cards offense will get a couple shots in, but in the end the Steelers defense will prove to be too much for them. AZ won't be able to run the ball, and the Steelers LB's are just going to tee off on Warner all day. Warner can handle the blitz pretty well, but with Troy Polamalu lurking I don't think he'll handle the Steelers blitz as well as he handled the Eagles blitz. AZ has had some problems over the course of the season stopping the run, so I expect Pittsburgh to run the ball, run clock, and run away with the ring.

This is going to be a rather low scoring game.

pbmax
02-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Sean Payton Super Bowl Breakdown (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/01/30/payton/)

Short version: Superior Defense wins often against Superior Offense. It will be up to Warner.

My version: Steelers D will hold or adjust and hold the Cardinals Offense in check for nearly a half. That will give their own Offense field position and time to score. The Cardinal's chances depend on not wilting when they get bottled up, be willing to punt and not turn it over. Don't make it easy for the Pittsburgh O, as they can struggle and be stopped. Let you own defense help you, don't kill them. Big Ben is money in late drives this year, but Warner is better and has better weapons.

The Shadow
02-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Steelers.

BooHoo
02-01-2009, 05:45 PM
The Cards defense has to play a whole lot better. First drive look to easy.

swede
02-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Final Score:
Steelers 34
Cards 13

Half time score:
Steelers 17
Cards 7

This will be no contest! One of those games where you lose interest early in the 3rd quarter. :(

Got the halftime, Boo. :bclap:

GrnBay007
02-01-2009, 10:17 PM
EVERYONE was a winner if you take into account the point spread!!! :mrgreen:

Harlan Huckleby
02-01-2009, 10:35 PM
I think the game sucked because I'm a sore loser.

I really wanted to see a Cardinals win, that would have been exciting.

The James HArrison interception at halftime ruined the game, even if it was exciting for Stealers fans. Seems like the Cards were in too deep of a hole after that. But they sure came back.

KYPack
02-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Stealers in a close one.

Some are saying this AM that the Stealers "stole another one".

I was wrong about the over. 47 price, 50 actual.

If I had bet it, I wudda had a nervous breakdown.

oregonpackfan
02-02-2009, 11:01 PM

Though I was correct with the eventual winner, the Cardinals put up a much stronger performance than I thought they would.

That was one of the most exciting Super Bowls ever played, IMO.

Gunakor
02-03-2009, 01:45 AM

Though I was correct with the eventual winner, the Cardinals put up a much stronger performance than I thought they would.

It was one of the most exciting 4th quarters, for sure, but the first half was rather unexciting until the INT return for a TD to end the half. I suppose that's how most SB's have been recently, with rather uneventful first halves followed by intense second halves, but when you consider some of the SB's in the 90's this one doesn't really come very close at all IMO.

SnakeLH2006
02-03-2009, 02:38 AM

It was one of the most exciting 4th quarters, for sure, but the first half was rather unexciting until the INT return for a TD to end the half. I suppose that's how most SB's have been recently, with rather uneventful first halves followed by intense second halves, but when you consider some of the SB's in the 90's this one doesn't really come very close at all IMO.

Agreed...Maybe because I grew up watching football in the very late 80's with Cool Joe and the 90's with all the great games, I do agree.

A

Gunakor
02-03-2009, 03:03 AM
Agreed...Maybe because I grew up watching football in the very late 80's with Cool Joe and the 90's with all the great games, I do agree.

How about 31? Took Favre 2 plays to find Rison for 60 yards and a TD. Freeman had a long one the next quarter. Reggie had 3 sacks. Desmond returned yet ANOTHER one to the house. Oh, and C-Mart had himself a pretty good game for the Pats too. By far the most exciting IMO, and I would probably feel the same way if I were a Steelers fan or a Niners fan.

But there was also Favre vs. Elway in 32, Young's 6 TD's against the Chargers, Tennessee coming up one yard short, etc. That was a great decade for SB's.

Zool
02-03-2009, 09:08 AM
I still say the AFC wins.